TheOldHat

Where's our Diamond Trophy?

I like the suggestion on keeping with metals... mithril and adamantium are popular as rare metals of value, perhaps they could be the 2000/2500 and 5000 level trophies.

Edited by Awdz Bodkins

I support this at 2,500. I'm just over 2000, went away for quite a while and came back to find a shiny new platinum trophy and an extra egg slot and hatchie slots (YES!!!)

Setting it at 2,500 would give me something to shoot for. I think it should use metals (nicked and modified your thing, thanks Olympe,) and go like this:

1. Bronze: 50+ => 5/15
  2. Silver: 200+ => 6/18
  3. Gold: 500+ => 7/21
  4. Platinum: 1000+ => 8/24
  5. Ruthenium: 2500+ => 9/27
  6. Rhodium: 5000+ => 10/30
  7. Paladium: 7,500+ => 11/33
  8. Osmium: 10,000+ maybe 25,000 => 12/36
  9. Iridium: 12,500+ => 13/39
  10. Titanium: 15,000+ => 14/42
  11. Unobtanium: 17,500+ => 15/45
  12. Mithril: 20,000+ => 16/48. 

While that's all nice and fine, there are some drawbacks.

The even spacing between trophies makes it too easy to reach the next one with the extra egg slots we're supposed to gain.

220px-Platinum-nugget.jpg 220px-Ruthenium_a_half_bar.jpg 220px-Rhodium_foil_and_wire.jpg 220px-Palladium_1-noReflection.jpg 220px-Osmium_1-crop.jpg 220px-Iridium_foil.jpg 220px-Titanzylinder.jpg 

These metals all look very much alike - either they have a dark-ish look, or a grey-yellow-ish look with only a very low amount of yellow in it. This gets kind of boring.

(Order of metal pictures like in your list, starting with Ruthenium and ending with Titanium.)

I'd be okay with the trophies:

Diamond: 5,000+ => 9/27

Ruby: 10,000+ => 10/30

Sapphire: 15,000+ => 11/33

Emerald: 20,000+ => 12/36

Granted, not specifically in those colours in that order or perhaps something of different colours (like Pearl, Amethyst, and Topaz for examples)

I'd prefer trophy names to be a little more common/known, like Diamond/Ruby/Emerald/whatever. While Rhodium and such sound 'fancy' I'm not sure those terms would be understood by the general playerbase (or the 'characters' keeping the scrolls in-game). 

It may have changed in the past year or so, but to my knowledge there are only like 3-5 people who have 20,000 dragons. While more trophies sounds like a great idea, especially if they come with more egg/growing slots, I think the numbers should be more realistic. DC has existed for over a decade now, if only a couple people have 20k dragons after that long then I don't really think using that number as a trophy is a great idea. Trophies should be something to work for, a challenge maybe, but not so impossible that only a few people ever reach it. 

I just happened to pull random numbers. I don't care if the numbers are altered

I'm definitely up for another trophy with more slots! However I don't think it's a good idea to be planning anything more than two trophies right now. Once you get past two hypothetical trophies you get into some insane amounts of dragons. It's best to wait until after at most two new trophies are implemented to think about even more.

Support! I'm always in favor of more slots. While I'm still working on my scrollgoals, or getting enough red hatchies to trade for more rare things on my list, I have no time/slots to build the lineages I want. I wonder when I'll be -complete- in that I can actually focus on just lineages. One or two slots isn't going to hurt new players, people will still lock themselves just as fast but have space for a little more and I think it would spice things up and have more people play more often, with more time.

Another thing to think about is how many more (especially holidays) eggs there are in the AP, though this would be a different thing entirely.

After being away for a while and only tentatively coming back, solely for the holiday dragons, but cautiously delighted at actually seeing some of the suggestions implemented in my absence - instead of more constant dithering and cold silence, the likes of which drove me away last time - I would like to put my own two cents in on the matter.

I'm thinking of two different options.

One that has a new trophy every additional 1,000, and a final once-and-for-all cap on 12 egg slots, 36 growing things, after you get more than 5,000 dragons.

5. Emerald: 2,000+ => 9/27

6. Ruby: 3,000+ => 10/30

7. Sapphire: 4,000+ => 11/33

8: Diamond: 5,000+ => 12/36

The other is only two more trophies, so we still end up on an even number, and the final cap is on 10 egg slots, with 30 growing things. You get it after 3,000 dragons.

5. Corundum: 2,000+ => 9/27

6. Diamond: 3,000+ => 10/30

The corundum is because both Rubies and Sapphires are essentially the same mineral. One is all the reds in that group, and the other is the catch-all for all the other shades of the same mineral. The trophy could reflect that with being both red and blue, rather like the Sapphire dragon we got of late. Diamond could be translucent and sparkle a lot, which would also make it visibly different from the other ones. Corundum rhymes with Platinum, and is a nice segue from the metals of before into a mineral like corundum and diamond.

As for the design of the trophy, since the former three are western dragons with feathery wings, and the most recent is a wyrm. Why not have the following two be wyrms too? It makes for a nice, even group of three each. One for those below the 1,000 cut-off mark, and the other for those above the 1,000. Nice visual, easy short-hand for anyone just glancing upon it. Of course the wyrm would be in different positions, like the western dragons were, but - again - that'd be easy enough to do. We have the essential starting base after all!

--

Of the two options I suggested, personally, I prefer the latter one.

10 is such a nice, even number. It's five pairs. Easy to multiply in one's mind when doing calculations. And the growing things is a nice, even number as well at 30. It works for both dividing by 2 as well as by 5 or 10. Very nice and easy. Also, it's easier for people to be able to achieve, since getting 5,000 dragons might be a bit much for all but the most obsessive players on here...

Also, I doubt he'd want to add anything else, knowing how utterly exasperating it was to wait to get anything we got of late. But there's something to be said for a nice even 10, the first of the two-digit numbers, and something easily multipliable in one's mind to get 100 adults after relatively easier work and shorter wait times. Perfect for those active, long-term players working on lineages.

Even if he didn't up the egg or growing things slot limits, it would still be nice to be able to aim for higher trophies that can easily, at a glance, reveal the numbers that are the fruits of your hard labors in the game. And I think a nice group of 6 total, with two distinct groups of one < 1,000 and the other > 1,000, would be a nice bit of symmetry at the very least.

I do so enjoy symmetry, after all. I doubt there'd be many who'd object to the same.

Honestly even if eggs don't get a boost (reasonable, imo, eight's enough most of the year), freeze and growing things slot increases would be greatly appreciated, especially around Halloween--I can't grab things purely because I have too many hatchlings, which the AP usually isn't low-time enough to facilitate!

I think we only need two more trophies. 9/27 at 2000 something and 10/30 at 5000. Even if eggs slots might be too much to ask for, more hatchlings slots would be welcome I think. 

12 minutes ago, Guillotine said:

Honestly even if eggs don't get a boost (reasonable, imo, eight's enough most of the year), freeze and growing things slot increases would be greatly appreciated, especially around Halloween--I can't grab things purely because I have too many hatchlings, which the AP usually isn't low-time enough to facilitate!

+1 to this. I'm okay with my Platinum trophy, but wouldn't mind another goal to reach. Just thinking about it makes me want to start collecting more.

4 hours ago, Guillotine said:

Uh oh, you may have said the magic words to totally change my mind, lol! I would *love* more freeze slots. Love love love more freeze slots. *glances at frozen armies* Yeah, I can work towards another trophy or two to get more freeze slots!

5 hours ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

I think we only need two more trophies. 9/27 at 2000 something and 10/30 at 5000. Even if eggs slots might be too much to ask for, more hatchlings slots would be welcome I think. 

That's what people said when we were angling for Platinum... XD

And we EG breeders like multiples of 4...

@Fuzzbucket

Eh, I don't see why a multiple of 4 matters so much anymore. Besides, to go from 4th to 5th gen you'd need 16, which you still wouldn't get with making it the next higher multiple of 4 (12/32). I think 16 egg slots is a lot to ask for.

You'd only need 8 if you were only collecting say, all females of a new release, but I know a lot of use influence 50/50.

46 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

@Fuzzbucket

Eh, I don't see why a multiple of 4 matters so much anymore. Besides, to go from 4th to 5th gen you'd need 16, which you still wouldn't get with making it the next higher multiple of 4 (12/32). I think 16 egg slots is a lot to ask for.

You'd only need 8 if you were only collecting say, all females of a new release, but I know a lot of use influence 50/50.

I know. But people OFTEN ask for a lot. I'm not asking, just saying that whatever happens people will ask for more.

25 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

whatever happens people will ask for more

That's kind of a given, it's human nature XD

Trophies for 9 and 10 would be good, for starters. It's just how DC grows.

All I know is that I'd probably wouldn't reach any of those limits without a whole bunch of new dragons species as will anyone else who has dragon limits due to play style.

(Just as an example, I collect 6 sprites per dragon species [excluding alts]. It would take me 334 different dragon species to get to 2000. There are currently 233 different species in the Cave according to the wiki.)

You guys can do whatever you want though.

I think it's your personal choice to restrict your own play style for whatever reason there is. However, this doesn't mean that the game cannot allow for benefits for people who play differently - be it in the form of BSAs, breeding options and/or trophy levels.

Personally, I do not collect dinos or frozen hatchlings at all. That doesn't mean that TJ cannot use "freeze 3 hatchlings" as an entry requirement for the raffle, or that he has to exclude dinos from the breed count for my personal benefit.

47 minutes ago, olympe said:

I think it's your personal choice to restrict your own play style for whatever reason there is. However, this doesn't mean that the game cannot allow for benefits for people who play differently - be it in the form of BSAs, breeding options and/or trophy levels.

Personally, I do not collect dinos or frozen hatchlings at all. That doesn't mean that TJ cannot use "freeze 3 hatchlings" as an entry requirement for the raffle, or that he has to exclude dinos from the breed count for my personal benefit.

Pretty much.

Which is why I'm not against this. I merely wanted to make that point as I hadn't seen it discussed yet.

Well, to be fair, according to the encyclopedia, we already have 222 breeds, many of which have alts or color morphs (black, baikala, vine, undine, dorsal, ridgewing, seasonals (which count as one), Zyus (which count as one), stripes, lunar heralds, solstices, nebulas, aegises, fire gems, gemshards, spinels, siyats, coppers, florets, pyralspites (which count as one), shimmers and tinsels, two-headed lindwyrms...), adding 41 extra sets of sprites to collect, getting your total up to 263. Maybe you would consider getting an army of one or two breeds just for the heck of it?

Just for the sake of stats, my spreadsheet has 275 entries (breeds) when including alts and different forms as different entries (and sunrise/set and day/night glory drakes). 

But anyways, yeah, I really really am all for keeping the whole 'every playstyle is accepted/encouraged' view in the game, I like that there aren't a ton of huge advantages if you choose to play a specific way, etc... But at some point severely restrictive playstyles are going to limit users, regardless. I think trophy levels should be realistic (no 20,000 trophy!) but also somewhat challenging. Something to work towards. (To be honest I was a little disappointed when the Platinum trophy was introduced and I just got it immediately because I already had way more then 1k, I'd love to actually have a trophy that I need to work towards getting for awhile.)

I feel like a better way to decide when new trophies are released is when a certain number/percentage of users surpass the number of dragons required to get the next proposed trophy.  So if people entitled to a diamond trophy were to have 2,500 dragons, lets say 10% of all dragon cave users need to have 2,500+ dragons each before the release happens.  I know that there are new users signing up all the time and old users take breaks and such, but the percentage required could decrease by a bit each time to compensate since I doubt there will ever be users with 100,000 dragons or something crazy (unless that user is TJ but he doesn't really count and nobody knows anything about his scroll).  This will keep the trophies realistic, but also makes it so there is the possibility of new trophies and it could happen at any time.

1 hour ago, Draconiusultamius said:

I feel like a better way to decide when new trophies are released is when a certain number/percentage of users surpass the number of dragons required to get the next proposed trophy.  So if people entitled to a diamond trophy were to have 2,500 dragons, lets say 10% of all dragon cave users need to have 2,500+ dragons each before the release happens.  I know that there are new users signing up all the time and old users take breaks and such, but the percentage required could decrease by a bit each time to compensate since I doubt there will ever be users with 100,000 dragons or something crazy (unless that user is TJ but he doesn't really count and nobody knows anything about his scroll).  This will keep the trophies realistic, but also makes it so there is the possibility of new trophies and it could happen at any time.

Hmm, I really like that! New trophies being based on actual user statistics would ensure that we *do* get new trophies every so often (seriously, 6 years to get Platinum added) but the trophies wouldn't be insanely high and unreachable. Keeping the percentage low(ish) would also mean that some users would have the trophy right away but a lot of users wouldn't, so they'd have another goal to work towards.

As a mildly OCD person who gets irritated when things aren't a multiple of 5, I'd be happy just having a Diamond (at 2500, 9/27) and Mythril (at 5000, 10/30) level and have the cap be hard-set there. 10 and 30 are nice numbers and we really don't need more space than that, imo.