TJ09

2018-10-25 - Halloween Event

3 minutes ago, tiny_gremlin said:

I love the description for the baby Marrow hatchies.  I think they're adorables.

I had to borrow an old friend's term for newly-hatched birds for a Marrow freezie  So ugly and so cute at the same time!  https://dragcave.net/view/dU8ly

@HeatherMarie I keep hearing about how people are freezing their hatchlings. What is the purpose behind freezing hatchlings? I'm asking due to my curiosity about it.

Edited by Biscuit19131

Just now, Biscuit19131 said:

I keep hearing about how people are freezing their hatchlings. What is the purpose behind freezing hatchlings?

Just that some of us like certain hatchie sprites a lot, and want to keep them that way to look at rather than having them grow up.  There's no real effect aside from them never being able to breed.

2 minutes ago, Biscuit19131 said:

I keep hearing about how people are freezing their hatchlings. What is the purpose behind freezing hatchlings?

Keeping the adorableness year round! 

That, and I don't want to accidentally breed something that's 29 generations of inbred.

Edited by tiny_gremlin

Just now, Gryphonic said:

Just that some of us like certain hatchie sprites a lot, and want to keep them that way to look at rather than having them grow up.  There's no real effect aside from them never being able to breed.

Pretty much this. I always freeze 1 ungendered hatchling, 1 male hatchling and 1 female hatchling for every breed.

Welp, managed to get at least one breeding pair each of three of the Halloween dragons! I think I needed to wait till next year to get any Omen Wyrms.

Since it's the 27th right now they should hatch by the 31st, right? Really don't want to drop any of them.

Just now, scalesofgrey said:

Welp, managed to get at least one breeding pair each of three of the Halloween dragons! I think I needed to wait till next year to get any Omen Wyrms.

Since it's the 27th right now they should hatch by the 31st, right? Really don't want to drop any of them.

If you have any incubates on hand, it'll be sooner.

1 minute ago, scalesofgrey said:

Don't worry, there will be eggs floating in the AP even after Halloween ends and I'm pretty sure there are people who take CBs and abandon them. I did that in the first day too. :)

2 minutes ago, tiny_gremlin said:

If you have any incubates on hand, it'll be sooner.

Used all of them on my first batch, I'm afraid. 😣

I'll have to prepare better this Christmas.

1 minute ago, Shuuichi said:

Don't worry, there will be eggs floating in the AP even after Halloween ends and I'm pretty sure there are people who take CBs and abandon them. I did that in the first day too. :)

I'll keep a lookout for them. Thank you for the tip! :) 

Edited by scalesofgrey

In addition, after your current batch hatches, the time on those in the AP may be low enough to get and hatch a few before the new Halloweens drop.

You can never have too many Reds! It's definitely worth giving scroll space to some eggs after the holiday rush is over!

1 minute ago, purplehaze said:

You can never have too many Reds! It's definitely worth giving scroll space to some eggs after the holiday rush is over!

I usually breed a red just prior to an event so I have an extra on hand.

Yeah, freezing hatchlings is mostly about the adorable hatchling sprites... I mean look at this adorableness!! user posted image  Adult sprites we have on our scroll forever, but hatchlings are only there for a few days before they disappear by turning into adults... Sometimes the hatchlings are so cute or awesome-looking that it's nice to have a few frozen to stay there forever. (Also, sometimes it looks really cool to have lots of frozen hatchlings in a row...)

9 minutes ago, tiny_gremlin said:

I usually breed a red just prior to an event so I have an extra on hand.

Oooh, that sounds like a good idea.

I gotta remember that because I always want more Reds for these events :D

I found myself short of reds, bent my efforts to collecting more of them, and now I should probably breed a few of them more often.

1 minute ago, Lady Dragoon said:

Oooh, that sounds like a good idea.

I gotta remember that because I always want more Reds for these events :D

It's very helpful!

3 minutes ago, tiny_gremlin said:

It's very helpful!

*nod* Yeah!

(ooh I should also breed myself some more pinks before a event too, never can have enough pinks either lol.)

Do what I do and start an EG pink lineage.  You'll never be short again.  See?

That's 7 pairs, not counting my CBs Sijtik and Ypamv (so 8 pairs if you count them), and also not counting several sideshoots that are also sitting around my scroll, like Aosad, who I bred to a stripe lady.  (Wow, I just realized both are descended from a particular one of my mom's dragons, back when I was just starting out.  So I accidentally inbred them.  Oh, well.)

Edited by Pilauli

5 hours ago, purplehaze said:

On page 13 of this thread someone posted a spoiler.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Pilauli said:

Do what I do and start an EG pink lineage.  You'll never be short again.  See?

That's 7 pairs, not counting my CBs Sijtik and Ypamv (so 8 pairs if you count them), and also not counting several sideshoots that are also sitting around my scroll, like Aosad, who I bred to a stripe lady.  (Wow, I just realized both are descended from a particular one of my mom's dragons, back when I was just starting out.  So I accidentally inbred them.  Oh, well.)

I have 60 Pinks and still run out sometimes. What's your secret? I feel like I'll be collecting Pinks until the end of time XD

Actually, I don't know.  If you can find a way to make collecting pinks fun, that will certainly help.

Apart from that, I guess... uh, let's see... I guess I have about 14 of each gender.  I just recently got my 7th egg slot, so it's a little bit hard to use up all my influences in one go.  If I'm influencing it, I probably bred it or traded for it, so even with incubate (which I'm more likely to run out of), I shouldn't go through more than 3 batches in a week, and what are the odds I'll decide to influence all of them one gender?  So, basically, my habits don't call for rapid-hatching a bunch of influenced eggs, so my influences regenerate fast enough to suit me.

Edit because I just saw your post: @saltywench, try wandering off the path, then going left, then right.

Actually, would you check if going right, then left works?  I'm curious if that part is, as you might say, symmetrical.  I myself went double left first, then realized that would naturally loop me around back to the path, and proceeded to go left, then right, which worked.  I therefore didn't get a chance to try any other combinations.

Edited by Pilauli