DarkEternity

Browser Extension or Trading Hub Suggestion: CB Marker on all offered dragons on the trading hub or the ability to hide dragons of longer than x lineage

Going through the trading hub can take a while, especially because you must first click on the teleport and then onto the dragon and you cannot click on the lineage from the image of the egg (which is intuitive).

CB Markers or the ability to filter dragon lineages based on length would greatly offer an improvement on the trading hub whether as an extension or as a feature of the hub.

Oh yeah definitely. Personally I really don’t care for lineaged things, and I always have to specify that I’m looking for CB dragons only, and have to click through every egg/dragon I’m interested in because a lot of people don’t specify the gen of their stuff. Having a marker to show the gen (1 or CB for cavebred, 2 for second gen, etc) would be so much more useful for me and I’m sure a lot of other players. I’d love this.

I would love this simply because I hate getting all hopeful seeing a breed I need and then oops it's CB. (I know, I totally have the opposite issue of most people, lol.) I think the annoyance would be lessened a bit if the eggs shown actually linked to their lineage page like has been suggested many times, that would be less clicks at least.  

TJ did say this in the OP of the Trading Hub Feedback thread:

• Comprehensive filters that codify e.g. lineage types and other community jargon inherently involve choosing which things are and aren't "valid" (e.g. do I include inbred? stairstep? insert esoteric lineage type here?). I'm hoping the community will end up standardizing on terminology anyways.

But I'm not sure if that includes simple CB/gen markers. I'd think CB/gen markers would be more possible since it's simply factual stuff that can be pulled from the lineage, but who knows.

Would love this! I'm mostly looking for CB stuff myself but also for prizes it would save time if you could see their generation next to the egg or at least without so many clicks.

Definite support for this! I have a couple of favorite breeds that I have plenty of CBs of and would like more lineages of them. Then there are other breeds I would like CBs of since I am still collecting them. Having a little number next to the egg/hatchling on the trading search page that would indicate generation of the egg/hatchling would allow me to skip the offers I'm not interested without having to click on the trade, and then click on the lineage and then recognize that I'm not interested in.

CB markers would be great! I would also love if there were markers for egs and perfect checkers.

Also a bit of a stretch, but an SA kin marker would also be useful to me.

Support! Especially filtering by gen in tradehub, would make sifting through trades a lot easier.

Would also like to see the gen markers on trade offers as well; not as necessary as the filtering options/seeing gen directly on the tradehub, but helpful to tell at a glance whether someone actually paid attention to what you asked for ;)  

(the other day I posted a trade asking for a 2G falconiform prizekin and someone gave me a 5-6g falc prizekin, I was so excited at first but then so disappointed XD

I think it would be fine to have a generation number displayed. I think anything more than that gets into validating one type of lineage as more desirable, or less desirable, than another and that is truly subjective. There are no in-game consequences for the type of lineage an egg has.

What I would like to see is a direct link to the lineage page from the image in the trade. That would avoid all the extra clicks that are needed now if you want to check the lineage.

Yeah, TJ himself posted about more detailed stuff like *types* of lineages. I really think that's just too much, especially since the site has never validated any specific type of lineage over any others, but it would kind of automatically be doing that by having actual fliters/markers for some types but not others. There really are way too many different types of lineages to have any sort of *comprehensive* list of filters/markers, and anything less would be making the site biased where it never has been before. Simple generation filter/markers should be enough, especially if we get a lineage-link on the egg images (pleaaaaase?). 

Oh my god, yes, yes, YES! to lineage links on the egg links! (And lineage counter, though not with quite as much feeling behind it.)

I'm pretty sure it would be impractical as an extension, since it'd have to load lineage pages for every single egg/hatchling on the current page and check the generation count.

Total yes to a gen marker (just putting 0-1-2-3-4+ or something). Doesn't need to specify stairstep, even gen, etc. Just what generation. That is a neutral indication, doesn't indicate what king of lineage it is (if this is a problem for some), just if it's CB, 2n gen, etc. Let's say you're interested in 3g checkers, then you can check out specifically the lineages of the eggs/hatchies marked "3". So still some steps involved, but less than if there's nothing.

And yeah, PLEASE, make the egg links direct to lineage directly, please, please, please. 

56 minutes ago, osmarks said:

I'm pretty sure it would be impractical as an extension, since it'd have to load lineage pages for every single egg/hatchling on the current page and check the generation count.

Or perhaps when creating the trade, there is a separate box labelled “Gen” which the poster needs to type the number into? And unless it is filled out, the trade will not go through, so it can’t be left blank?

I mean, personally I don’t think having to load it would take that much processing power, but that could be a compromise if it became a problem, I suppose

4 minutes ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

Or perhaps when creating the trade, there is a separate box labelled “Gen” which the poster needs to type the number into? And unless it is filled out, the trade will not go through, so it can’t be left blank?

I mean, personally I don’t think having to load it would take that much processing power, but that could be a compromise if it became a problem, I suppose

No, I mean, impractical as a browser extension (which the user runs in their own browser, obviously); I'm pretty sure that the actual DC server could get the data easily, I'm just responding to the title.

41 minutes ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

People lie in trades. I've seen 'have' descriptions that were complete lies (different gen, inbred vs not, etc). No thanks to a user-given gen count. 

Why couldn't the site generate the lineage count number when the dragon enters the trade link at creation?  Eliminate the guesswork as non forum members might be hazy what gen count even means.

2 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

People lie in trades. I've seen 'have' descriptions that were complete lies (different gen, inbred vs not, etc). No thanks to a user-given gen count. 

-.- This is why we can’t have nice things.

Thats a good point though. People can’t be trusted, so having the website determine the gen itself would probably be better

52 minutes ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

-.- This is why we can’t have nice things.

Thats a good point though. People can’t be trusted, so having the website determine the gen itself would probably be better

Sometimes it is not even an intentional lie. I have personally found mistakes in my trade where I had the wrong description on the wrong egg or offered the wrong egg entirely! Either way, automatic generations would be helpful. It would cut down the work required to find what you want. The AP is supposed to be a grab bag. Trading is not.

It might actually be nice if the generation was also displayed on the egg's or dragon's page, and could be sorted by/selected by for groups.  If DC is going to track generation for the trading hub (which would be nice), it shouldn't be too much harder to display and use that same generation data for another purpose, right?  In theory?

Referencing the trading hub feedback thread thing, because it's tangentially related to this: here's a potential compromise between the "categorize lineage" and the "no, don't validate specific terms".  Offer two numbers: the longest distance to a caveborn forebear (generation), and the total number of caveborn forebears (caveborns in lineage).  This allows a guess at the lineage style: a spiral or stairstep's gen will match the number of caveborn ancestors, while an evengen dragon's caveborn ancestors will always be a power of 2.  This doesn't allow anyone to distinguish exact lineage, but it does allow you to make a guess, and avoid the 10th gens with 273 ancestors.  (I'm pretty sure a 10th gen with 273 ancestors ought to be possible.)

I'm siding with the no labels on specific lineages (stairstep,evengen, etc.), but I do like the idea of a marker. Would something like the CB marker that EATW used to have in its marketplace work?

21 hours ago, Dracaena said:

Why couldn't the site generate the lineage count number when the dragon enters the trade link at creation?  Eliminate the guesswork as non forum members might be hazy what gen count even means.

I'm fairly sure it does. The lineage pages have a generation count and stuff, at least, and it shouldn't be hard for DC itself to get it anyway.

I have, however, an example of this going wrong: https://dragcave.net/lineage/qGQ97. It's a Thuwed, though, so this is probably an isolated thing.

Edited by osmarks

34 minutes ago, osmarks said:

I'm fairly sure it does. The lineage pages have a generation count and stuff, at least, and it shouldn't be hard for DC itself to get it anyway.

I have, however, an example of this going wrong: https://dragcave.net/lineage/qGQ97. It's a Thuwed, though, so this is probably an isolated thing.

It is something that is unique to some of the Thuweds -- I'm pretty sure that all other lineages display correctly. Those few lineages shouldn't be a reason not to do this. I am sure that DC does know the generation of eggs, since they now show on the lineage page. So it should be a fairly simple matter to display them in the trade.

Edited by purplehaze

43 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

It is something that is unique to some of the Thuweds -- I'm pretty sure that all other lineages display correctly. Those few lineages shouldn't be a reason not to do this. I am sure that DC does know the generation of eggs, since they now show on the lineage page. So it should be a fairly simple matter to display them in the trade.

Yes, indeed: I'm sure it'd be perfectly practical to implement on DC's end - just not as a browser extension or userscript. And despite being simple, it would really help find trades which are actually relevant.

6 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Actually that's not true. I've never thought about it in terms of this suggestion, but wrong generation counters on lineages is indeed an issue with more then just Thuweds. I've posted about it before in Help, where other people posted other examples as well. Maybe a suggestion for a gen-marker on trades could actually be an incentive to fix the wrong counters? (Since it doesn't seem they're going be be fixed as it is...)

While that is, if it's correct, a bit weird, probably most stuff is okay so this shouldn't really affect this idea too much.

Edited by osmarks