sbld

Buy Raffle Tickets in Market

6 hours ago, Ember_Silverly said:

If the complaint is that our chances of winning are already low, this does nothing to help increase our chances of winning. I'm not an expert on statistics or anything, but I actually see this as a way to decrease most people's chances of winning, especially those saving up for the higher priced dragons in the market. And it would definitely hurt newer players who don't have the opportunity to earn as many shards as platinum players. 

Actually that's not true. Even the newest player can hit the weekly cap every week, if only by catching from the AP and dropping.

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Actually that's not true. Even the newest player can hit the weekly cap every week, if only by catching from the AP and dropping.

Yes, but they don't already have tons of shards like we do. If the cap on how many tickets you can buy is low enough, and they are cheap enough, then it won't really matter. But as someone who currently has 2,283 shards, I definitely have a lot more ability to throw shards at the raffle then a new player who possibly has less then 100.

That isn't really a problem because you have that ability to throw your savings at the lottery only once in a while. After all, the extra lottery tickets would expire with the monthly drawing. In the greater scheme of things, this is a minor thing, really.

I don't want to make a new thread for this but I've just thought about the topic again:

If we're talking about a chance to buy raffle tickets with shards - why not separate this from the regular raffle.

I mean, keep the raffle like it is now (where everyone can win with just raising 3 dragons!) and create a second raffle for people who want to spend their shards on that chance.

It would raise the CB prizes given out every month (the numbers here should be separate from the raffle, as mentioned) which many people seem to want.

Of course, there should be a cap on how many tickets you would be able to buy. Expanding on this, I think, maybe making it a weekly thing with just a small number of prizes to win AND maybe just have 1 type of prize be winnable at a given week (e. g. week 1 - Silver Tinsel) so people don't need to apply on weeks when prizes are offered that they don't like that much.

I've already written in another post what I think about being able to buy additional tickets for the general raffle BUT if the ticket system should ever come I'd like it to be designed in a (similar) way to the one I've stated above.

(PS: I won't be offended if others don't like the idea - feel free to discuss this) :)

Edited by Soulsborne

I mean... it'd be something... but would still involve throwing shards at a wall for a tiny chance at winning.

Edited by osmarks

On 10/16/2018 at 4:54 AM, Soulsborne said:

I don't want to make a new thread for this but I've just thought about the topic again:

If we're talking about a chance to buy raffle tickets with shards - why not separate this from the regular raffle.

I mean, keep the raffle like it is now (where everyone can win with just raising 3 dragons!) and create a second raffle for people who want to spend their shards on that chance.

It would raise the CB prizes given out every month (the numbers here should be separate from the raffle, as mentioned) which many people seem to want.

Of course, there should be a cap on how many tickets you would be able to buy. Expanding on this, I think, maybe making it a weekly thing with just a small number of prizes to win AND maybe just have 1 type of prize be winnable at a given week (e. g. week 1 - Silver Tinsel) so people don't need to apply on weeks when prizes are offered that they don't like that much.

I've already written in another post what I think about being able to buy additional tickets for the general raffle BUT if the ticket system should ever come I'd like it to be designed in a (similar) way to the one I've stated above.

(PS: I won't be offended if others don't like the idea - feel free to discuss this) :)

I was going to post this idea but I see you already got to it! I really like it, since it increases the number of prizes being given out, leaves the chance for everyone that the monthly raffle offers now, and also gives a chance to more active players who maybe have been playing so long that they have everything but a CB prize, and therefore won't have a problem spending their shards on the chance to win one.

That would depend on the chance. Considering that it's quite probable that 90% of the players participating in the regular raffle would buy at least one ticket for an extra raffle, the chances aren't that much better. Worse, quite a few players would buy as many raffle tickets as possible, which means that, in order to get your winning chances to a level similar to the regular raffle, you'd have to do the same.

Overall, this system is nothing but a money sink - or shard sink, in this case. True, it would mean that twice as many prizes got handed out - but considering the odds, that's not going to cut it either way.

42 minutes ago, olympe said:

That would depend on the chance. Considering that it's quite probable that 90% of the players participating in the regular raffle would buy at least one ticket for an extra raffle, the chances aren't that much better. Worse, quite a few players would buy as many raffle tickets as possible, which means that, in order to get your winning chances to a level similar to the regular raffle, you'd have to do the same.

Overall, this system is nothing but a money sink - or shard sink, in this case. True, it would mean that twice as many prizes got handed out - but considering the odds, that's not going to cut it either way.

I agree. While I very much support more prizes given out, I don't think a second raffle with shard-bought tickets would really be beneficial to most players. If the cost of the tickets is reasonably low, and there is a cap on how many you can buy, then all that will accomplish is tons of people throwing their shards away time and time again to max out on tickets, still with no guarantee they'd actually get anything at all for all those shards. And then people who can afford to do that will have an 'advantage' over people who don't have as many shards or can't always buy the max tickets, which would put those other players in an even worse position then now. I've said before, while I don't exactly like the raffle as-is, at least it's not biased. It doesn't favor certain players over others. Anyone who enters has the same chance as everyone else. I personally don't want to see that change.

Initially I thought this thread was going to be about how we can, instead of working on the monthly requirement, buy a raffle ticket using a month's worth of shards (e.g. if the monthly requirement is "raise 3 drakes", but the person doesn't collect drakes). For the record, that I would support! :)

I don't think more than one raffle ticket per user per month is a very good idea. The way the raffle is now makes it accessible to anyone with a modicum of activity in the cave - and I like it that way (though I probably class as "very active", myself). I do want the prizes to be more accessible, but agree with many people that have already posted here that upping the number of dragons that are given out each month (or ditching the raffle and making the critters available in the cave and/or the market, or possibly other alternatives I've forgotten about right now) would be a better way of achieving this.

That said, if for some reason this were to be implemented, it wouldn't anguish me either.

currently I'd be at a disadvantage because I have been working upwards to 13 hours in a day - without a break because we are heading into the holiday season of a restaurant (even modding is taking a hit)

I do not support the purchase of tickets in the market -  its not a solution. I support stopping those who are having an unfair advantage over others (via burn baby burn)

As a mod, I would find people even more upset that their shard purchased tickets did not get them a prize - and more issue would arise.

On 10/16/2018 at 12:40 PM, osmarks said:

I mean... it'd be something... but would still involve throwing shards at a wall for a tiny chance at winning.

This.

I don't MIND so much placing my usual entry by doing things I would be doing anyway...BUT paying shards for extra entries, I dunno, it'd feel a BIT like buying a lottery ticket to me ( Which I don't DO because I feel pretty sure the odds are 'not in my favor')... giving up something DEFINITE for NO guarantee of winning. To add to that, also agreed with those that point out there would be likely frustration from those that DID dump a bunch of shards on the raffle and come up with nothing to show for it. I would be more in favor of INCREASING the number of winners drawn, OR perhaps even of allowing prizes to be for sale in the market ( IF TJ were agreeable to that), over this option which, seems to me, might spell more trouble than anything.

At said, I DO think @pinkgothic makes a point.

EXTRA entries I would oppose, BUT I think allowing a person to choose to use their shards to buy their entry ( ONE, SINGULAR) rather than collect a breed they don't want might be an idea. ALSO I second what @Starscream said about punishing those that cheat the system to get an unfair advantage ( IE- via multiscrolling or such like that!)

Edited by JavaTigress

We do definitely need multiscrollers to be punished. This should, however, happen anyway, and in my opinion it's worse to have a single person banned due to overzealous enforcement than it is to have a few multiscrollers ignored.

I support the idea of spending shards to get the raffle entry you could get anyway without collecting whatever dragon it is; it's simple, and won't mess it up horribly.

23 minutes ago, osmarks said:

I support the idea of spending shards to get the raffle entry you could get anyway without collecting whatever dragon it is; it's simple, and won't mess it up horribly.

I could get behind that, too. Escpecially if there's something people absolutely don't want to raise. (Imagine having to raise three dinos - the rarity alone would be awful.)

5 hours ago, JavaTigress said:

EXTRA entries I would oppose, BUT I think allowing a person to choose to use their shards to buy their entry ( ONE, SINGULAR) rather than collect a breed they don't want might be an idea. ALSO I second what @Starscream said about punishing those that cheat the system to get an unfair advantage ( IE- via multiscrolling or such like that!)

What might work is have two or three objectives available for draw entry -  you only need to do one - it still may not fulfill someones collection criteria. Although if someone needs to collect drakes for that entry requirement that month, its not a big deal to abandon them after the entry requirements have been completed.

I do like the idea of having multiple possible objectives. The shard price should be something middly-high; say, 30? That way it isn't the 'cop-out' option, you do have to put in a teensy amount of effort, just like raising 3 dragons.

I'd be in favour of having permanent 'categories' - perhaps 'buy ticket with shards', and then a 'dragon type' objective and a 'dragon breed' objective? Or perhaps a raising dragons objective and a misc. actions objective (e.g. name 10 dragons)?

Either way I like the idea.

I did want to say, though, that increasing individual users' chances doesn't change the overall system.