solairehighwind

Longer Holiday Breeding Period + No Fake Cooldowns

No prolonging the holiday breeding period please, it's short for a reason! The short holiday period (which is already long tbh, seeing as the holiday itself is 1 day) is partially compensated by multiclutches btw. If you want to make a lineage that's easily done at a faster pace..... don't pick holiday breeds!

I have no opinion on the "fake bred on" dates, so go nuts on that I guess ^^

4 hours ago, Aalbiel said:

No prolonging the holiday breeding period please, it's short for a reason! The short holiday period (which is already long tbh, seeing as the holiday itself is 1 day) is partially compensated by multiclutches btw. If you want to make a lineage that's easily done at a faster pace..... don't pick holiday breeds!

I have no opinion on the "fake bred on" dates, so go nuts on that I guess ^^

Multiclutches are no compensation at all. You can only keep 1 of the eggs, and they're all the exact same lineage. So no help in lineage building.

What reason is that? Other games I play have halloween events longer than a week, so why not DC? For those of us who love holiday dragons, having only 1 week to breed/catch them is ridiculous. You can't get a year's worth of dragons in a week. At least with things like seasonals and lunar heralds, you have a couple months to get your fill before they change, or you only have a wait a couple weeks for them to change back. Also, what if people are busy during the holiday events? "Too bad, better luck next year?" 

Holidays are... holidays. They are special days that come once a year. One day. Halloween (and Valentines, etc) is *one* day. The fact that we get a full week of holiday breeding is actually fairly generous given the actual holiday is only one specific day. It's not actually called 'Halloween week' in real life. 

As someone who is fairly close to scroll-goals with *all* holiday breeds, I do *not* want holiday eggs blocking the AP for any longer then necessary. If holiday breeding is extended it *must* come with some way to hunt the 'normal' AP, whether a completely separate 'holiday AP' or just taking away the mechanic that makes holiday eggs always show up first in the AP. While I do understand that one week a year can be frustrating for holiday lineage builders, anything more will be mega-frustrating for all the people who *don't* build holiday lineages, unless something is tweaked to allow us to hunt normally.

On 10/27/2018 at 8:05 PM, HeatherMarie said:

Holidays are... holidays. They are special days that come once a year. One day. Halloween (and Valentines, etc) is *one* day. The fact that we get a full week of holiday breeding is actually fairly generous given the actual holiday is only one specific day. It's not actually called 'Halloween week' in real life. 

+1

(Also to the AP wall argument which atm I am getting fairly sick of)

Well, there is a  very good reason you get a week and not just a day @HeatherMarie. If everything only happened on the one day, people would have to choose between continuing their lineage projects or grabbing the new dragons. It would also mean new people would never be able to get all the past years dragons CB.

As for the actual suggestion, I do sometimes wish the breeding period was longer, but I hate the fake last bred date more. We can only breed these dragons one week in a year as it is.

Now, if these things did get changed, I would like to see a separate holiday AP and 2 eggs max in a clutch because, while I know ADP and others, myself included, like to hunt lineages, breeding all these eggs is actually lagging the cave- and if we extended the breeding time and these dragons can be bred more than once, that may very well crash the cave.

I definitely support the longer breeding period, it would be quite nice and at some point in the future it will be pretty much essential before it feels futile. 

I am against the freshly bred holidays being able to breed the same year though. We already have so many that can breed as it stands, allowing the offspring we bred that year to breed exponentially increases the amount of eggs in the AP. Not to mention with incubate, then the offspring's offspring could even produce if the breeding period is increased. I am okay with just 1 breeding per dragon per holiday, with fresh bred ones not being able to breed. I bring this part up because of the influence window and eggs will die. 

Arguing for a separate AP or people upset that holidays take up the AP for a limited time is a whole other discussion that I won't touch here. 

2 minutes ago, schenanigans said:

I am against the freshly bred holidays being able to breed the same year though. We already have so many that can breed as it stands, allowing the offspring we bred that year to breed exponentially increases the amount of eggs in the AP. Not to mention with incubate, then the offspring's offspring could even produce if the breeding period is increased. I am okay with just 1 breeding per dragon per holiday, with fresh bred ones not being able to breed.

100% agree with this!

1 hour ago, schenanigans said:

I am against the freshly bred holidays being able to breed the same year though. We already have so many that can breed as it stands, allowing the offspring we bred that year to breed exponentially increases the amount of eggs in the AP. Not to mention with incubate, then the offspring's offspring could even produce if the breeding period is increased. I am okay with just 1 breeding per dragon per holiday, with fresh bred ones not being able to breed. I bring this part up because of the influence window and eggs will die. 

Agree with this.

I think that by now, I'm totally on board with the prolonged breeding period or some other mechanic that allows us to breed our holidays for more than one week. There are just too many to work with by now - which, to be honest, is a good thing in and of itself. The fact we can't breed for all our projects, though, is a bit aggravating.

However, I'm not that much of a fan to breed freshly grown-up holiday dragons. It'll only make things worse with our projects within a couple of years.

I'd support a longer breeding period, but would not support being able to breed young adult dragons that grew up that year. 

I don't mind an increased breeding period, but I think at this point, I don't support freshly grown holidays being able to immediately breed more. There's already an excess. I wouldn't mind them being able to breed regular dragons though. Even so, that's more of an afterthought since I'm not sure that the game would be able to make a distinction. 

1 hour ago, Jazeki said:

I don't mind an increased breeding period, but I think at this point, I don't support freshly grown holidays being able to immediately breed more. There's already an excess.

Quoted for truth. Especially the new ones.

I guess I must be pretty different here.  I support having the 2 CB limit on holiday eggs.

2 hours ago, Classycal said:

I guess I must be pretty different here.  I support having the 2 CB limit on holiday eggs.

Care to explain why? Halloween is unlimited and it's never been an issue. Curious as to your reasoning. Though that's not what this suggestion is for. This suggestion is for breeding for more than a single week AND allowing the new generation to also breed. You can my vote to no, new dragons breeding same year, fairly neutral on extended breeding itself as it doesn't affect me much either way.

We do have suggestions to change the limits, which I didn't realize wasn't this thread when I first responded. (Its 2am I'm sorry.)

Edit: adding longer response.

Edited by DragonLady86

6 hours ago, Classycal said:

Wrong thread? ;) 

5 hours ago, olympe said:

Wrong thread? ;) 

Could be.  I went by the title.  I scrolled thru all the posts fairly quickly.  Sorry.  

5 hours ago, olympe said:

Wrong thread? ;) 

Yes.  I managed to get them mixed up.  Sorry folks.  

On 9/15/2020 at 7:11 PM, Serotina said:

I'd support a longer breeding period, but would not support being able to breed young adult dragons that grew up that year. 

Yes.  This.

I totally understand building holiday lineages is tough, especially with the amount of holiday breeds increasing more each year. My idea is that the longer breeding period and no fake cooldowns work very well, provided that any dragons that would fit into certain criteria do not produce a multiclutch. That is, a holiday will not produce a multiclutch, but is guaranteed to breed one egg, if one of the following is true:

1. The holiday grew up that year

2. The holiday was already bred that year once

Because if you need to breed for lineages, you're going to keep that one egg. It's not going to contribute to the wall. And even if people breed dragons satisfying one of the above criteria to the AP, it won't contribute that much to the wall since there are no multiclutches.

We already need a non-holiday AP section regardless of this suggestion, so that would work very nicely, too. We also need a solution to help the AP get out of holiday walls quicker regardless of this suggestion, too.

Edited by KrazyKarp

I would not like a holiday to be able to produce another generation in the same year it grew up in. That makes zero sense to me because holidays are supposed to be special

I don't have a strong opinion on prolonged holiday breeding period though, sounds like a good idea, will make a lot of people happier, I personally don't care about holiday lineages

I support the extended breeding period (2 weeks instead of 1) for Holidays + a Holiday AP separate from regular AP to keep everyone content concerning the AP's contents being holiday or not. I don't particularly care about breeding new Holidays the same year, though. I do not support any suggestion of clutches being reduced from the 4 max.

That's my two cents worth on this whole thing. B)

As someone who has holiday-based lineages (some being holiday x holiday, and I'm potentially looking at a halloween x halloween)... I don't see why "holidays are supposed to be special" is an argument against breeding a second time in the same year. That doesn't make them any less special. The only "negative" impact it would have is extending the holiday wall, which is going to happen every year anyway so I don't really see much of a problem with it.

I thought I posted in this thread before! I guess not. I support letting newly-grown holidays breed immediately, obviously. In context to that I'm not sure about extending the breeding period, though I support it on its own.

What if we were able to remove the fake cooldown, and have an extra week of breeding with the one condition:

- Only 1 egg can be produced, and it cannot be abandoned

- You may trade it, however the person who receives the egg cannot abandon it. 
- It cannot be vamped, can be killed. But why on Earth would you do that. 
- If you are full up, the egg will appear on your scroll the second something grows up/hatches.

Thus, the Holiday wall would still go away, but people would be able to breed what they want. 

55 minutes ago, Ruffledfeathers said:

What if we were able to remove the fake cooldown, and have an extra week of breeding with the one condition:

- Only 1 egg can be produced, and it cannot be abandoned

- You may trade it, however the person who receives the egg cannot abandon it. 
- It cannot be vamped, can be killed. But why on Earth would you do that. 
- If you are full up, the egg will appear on your scroll the second something grows up/hatches.

Thus, the Holiday wall would still go away, but people would be able to breed what they want. 

That sounds like it's very specifically catering to one subset of users and I don't see why all those restrictions would be needed? A longer breeding period carries the downside of longer AP wall, so okay I can understand why doing away with multi-clutches for the 'extra' time would help with that. But why can't it be vamped/killed? Why would you be *able* to breed if you are full-up and unallowed to abandon? It just seems completely unnecessary. This seems like jumping through totally unnecessary hoops and making unnecessary rules to make sure one subset of users (lineage-builders/breeders) are accommodated. 

To me, it would be *much* simpler to just extend the breeding period and allow everything to happen normally, but make a second 'holiday' AP. No restrictions on what a breeder can do with their own eggs, no holding the egg in some limbo until a slot opens up, just straight-forward breeding allowed as usual for an extra week into a specific holiday AP. Or, I guess it'd be equally simple to just do away with multi-clutches that second week, though I really can't see that actually happening (I feel like if TJ would change multi-clutches it'd be all or nothing, not just for half of the breeding period). But all those restrictions and such are unnecessary.