RealWilliamShakespeare

Sprite Updates

3 hours ago, Guillotine said:

Considering that at least one very successful pet site has completely redone all site art at least three times, I feel like most of the objections have a stronger resemblance to concern-trolling than actual concern, especially considering the constant calls to the slippery slope fallacy. You're allowed to like the old art, but considering that all recent updates save the Nilias (which were more like late dimorphism like with Horses) have has more in common with basic anatomy and shading tweaks than full revamps the ongoing pettiness towards the artists seems slightly disproportionate.

Where do you see pettiness towards the artists? I see a lot of talk about sprites, and liked or disliked sprites, and likes or dislikes of updates, I have seen no pettiness towards *artists* at all. 

I'm not totally sure what 'concern-trolling' is, but there are reasons I'm on DC and *not* other pet sites. My concern over sprite updates is very very real, because past updates have been very very disappointing. Legitimately disappointing, no trolling meant. Also, saying anything about 'all recent updates' is just your opinion. Basic anatomy and shading, if that's all you see different, that's fine. That's not how others see it. Reds, for instance, completely changed the 'storybook' feel of the sprite, and that had nothing to do with tiny anatomy fixes. 

What I'm seeing in this thread is a *lot* of posts telling people that sprites were not revamped, telling people that sprite changes were subtle or only did good things or weren't very substantial.... Putting down other people's opinions. If YOU like the sprite updates, if YOU think the changes weren't very noticeable or only did good, that's totally fine. It is also totally fine for MY experience to be different. I am not *wrong* for saying that such-and-such update was drastic or changed the feel of the sprite, it's what is true for *me*. And I should be allowed to have that opinion, not argued with at every turn because someone holds a different viewpoint. 

I've seen a lot of people, you included, posting like the artists personally attacked them by making the update. You likely haven't noticed because you agree.

And frankly? Reds went from a total eyesore (I would not have collected Reds at all if they didn't have Incubate) to a disappointment that fit with the rest of the site. They've always been posed awfully and horrifically stiff, the change in style was likely what made you actually notice. Same with the Seasonals, although they had slightly better starting poses. Same with most of the updates that have people up in arms (remember, all the really major pose/large detail altering ones are years old at this point). It is, quite frankly, not possible to change the style to fit without some alterations, but most of the alterations are just bringing forth issues that already existed in the sprites.

That's YOUR view of reds. Not everyone agrees. Me for one - I loved them the way they were - which does't mean the artist did a bad job, just that they changed something I loved. But for the record - there are some brand new sprites I absolutely loathe. I have never said a word about which, nor shall I. That isn't what this is about. But it is simply not true to say that every new sprite is up to some new standard and is perfect lovely. Some of them are NOT. One or two have pose and anatomy issues which are FAR more jarring than many of the old ones.

And the seasonal hatchie changes were very sad.

I have also never seen Heather take anything out on an artist for their work.Only saying she didn't like an update.She is one of the politest, most conciliatory members here.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

9 hours ago, Guillotine said:

And frankly? Reds went from a total eyesore (I would not have collected Reds at all if they didn't have Incubate) to a disappointment that fit with the rest of the site.

This is the most accurate description of Reds that I've ever seen! :lol: To me, the old red always looked less like a dragon and more like the statue of a dragon - totally stiff and rough in places. XD The new one isn't that much better on the stiffness, but I'll take every little improvement I can get.

@HeatherMarie: Disagreeing with you without a full disclaimer of "this is my opinion, only my opinion, I do not presume to speak for anyone else and do not mean to attack anybody by stating a differing opinion" isn't the same as putting down your opinion. And if your opinion is that "everything looks totally different because more muscle mass" when some of the changes are hardly noticeable at all (see Black, Seragammas, Pillows, Sunrises or Soulstones) or even go in the opposite direction (I'm looking at you, Mistletoes!) in some cases or at least don't add any muscle defintion at all (like Geodes, Electrics, Ochredrakes, Neotropicals, Papers, female Purples, female Sunsets, Water Walkers, female Marrows and Hollies) - then it's just wrong, respect or not. There are things like opinions, and there are things like facts.

I don't want to mock any sprite on DC, but the only thing I wish would be updated would be the Albino dragon adult sprite. The head's position is kind of off and there could be done so much with better shading, as I think the skin should look more baggy and worn. I don't even see ppl breeding albinos that much. 

(I like dorsal's butt pose! :D didn't even realize that but it's cute)

@Bamboomonkey

Well, I doubt we'll see any updates to that sprite, considering the artist has seemed to quit DC atm.  I checked Iliun's forum account, but it looks pretty bare.  I feel the same, btw.  Oh well...🐸

I think that most all the sprites prior to ~2009 could use a polish. A few from the early years have already been touched up, with Reds, Splits, and Hollies being some of my favorite updates so far. I know that some players are particularly averse to the idea of changing up the sprites they know and love—though it’s possible to give those sprites a fresh coat of paint and still maintain the original spirit.

Maintaining an internal consistency in artistic quality across the site is important, and this standard can definitely be met through updates that do not dramatically alter the feel of old sprites.

5 hours ago, Niyaka said:

Maintaining an internal consistency in artistic quality across the site is important, and this standard can definitely be met through updates that do not dramatically alter the feel of old sprites.

Not necessarily; maintaining history is also important.

8 hours ago, Niyaka said:

There are a couple from this year that do NOT meet the artistic quality of the site, and the changes to the red dragons and seasonal hatchlings dramatically altered the feel of the old sprites.  So there you go...

It's a collecting game, we collect sprites.  When you collect things, you want what you collected to look like it did when you collected it years later.  Plus sprite updates ruin the look of lineages.

I still resent the notion that something is only lovable if it is perfect/meets a certain standard. To this day, the single one update that I feel actually made me like a dragon more, is the Hollies. That doesn't mean I don't recognize when a dragon has become "better", I just never needed or wanted that. If an artist wants to change their work that's their prerogative but I've never felt they weren't "good enough".

It's not like we ban all medieval art from museums just because they hadn't yet learned to draw in perspective properly. It's not about that.

1 hour ago, blah said:

I still resent the notion that something is only lovable if it is perfect/meets a certain standard. To this day, the single one update that I feel actually made me like a dragon more, is the Hollies. That doesn't mean I don't recognize when a dragon has become "better", I just never needed or wanted that. If an artist wants to change their work that's their prerogative but I've never felt they weren't "good enough".

It's not like we ban all medieval art from museums just because they hadn't yet learned to draw in perspective properly. It's not about that.

I agree. Art is a very subjective thing, there are old sprites that *I* still find quite pleasing, but I'm sure others didn't agree, since they were updated. Ultimately I don't have strong feelings about updating sprites - If the original artist wants to, that's great and I see no problem. I would hope no artists feel forced into it though, because of changing tastes or technologies.

2 hours ago, blah said:

This EXACTLY.

Also  latest?cb=20120101051815 is not latest?cb=20090313221000

And lovely though the new ones are - the change wrecked lineages and broke hearts.

Personally, minor updates are usually best, ones that don’t take away from the feel of the dragon. I have liked the more subtle ones more or not even noticed them!

That being said, the silver update was amazing Imo, as was the golds. But, my heart wasnt broken as I had slow internet and didn’t have a gold AT ALL during the update (if I recall correctly). So I had no attachment to the old sprite as I didnt have it. I think I had a messy silver or two at that point but nothing lineage worthy, so nothing got ‘ruined’ and enjoyed the update for them. But I can totally see why people would have been upset. 

If only we could choose which sprite to display, Id change the reds back out of pure nostalgia 😍 I do like the current sprite tho. Maybe 1 gold to old too just to finally fulfil my old dream of having one way back when XD 

I've loved all the sprite updates we've had over the years and I wish we could have more of them. I began to like Nilias when dimorphism was added to them, Golds look so much better now and I really, really adore the new Vampire sprites.

On 11/25/2019 at 3:17 PM, Ruffledfeathers said:

That being said, the silver update was amazing Imo, as was the golds. But, my heart wasnt broken as I had slow internet and didn’t have a gold AT ALL during the update (if I recall correctly).

The very REASON I didn't have any Golds before the update was because I really didn't like the old sprite XD So the update was a good thing for me.

I can see why people would be upset but to reiterate an old point I've made before-- if an artist wants to update their work, or if they're absent and TJ wants the art updated, that is their right. If it's just the userbase clamoring for an update-- well, as long as they accept that it's the choice of the staff whether to do it or not.

Edited by Keileon