RealWilliamShakespeare

Sprite Updates

In the Dorsal Sprite Update thread, there was a lot of talk about sprite updates as a whole, which became off-topic.

Thus, I've made a thread where we can discuss opinions on sprite updates for old dragons:

Do you believe many of the older sprites should have updates in order to fit better to the current standards, or do you believe they should stay as they are? Perhaps you're in the middle and believe some of the old sprites should have minor tweaks to fix the smaller things, like a wonky leg?

Discuss here!

I don't personally mind sprite updates in general, though I prefer the ones that are either made by the original artist or with their permission, and try to stay as true to the original sprite as possible. However, I do understand the viewpoint of those who love the old ones and want them to stay the same for sentimental, lineage, or other reasons, since even if my personal preferences were followed, the sprite would still change on at least one fundamental level and may not look right anymore in their eyes.

I don't mind 'updates' in terms of small anatomy fixes and such, I understand why people would want to fix, say, the Dorsal's butt perspective or the Albino's awkward neck. I wouldn't mind a tweak to the Waterhorse's hooves/feet (they literally have no distinction at all between leg and hoof), and Harvests have a bit of a strange neck bend as well. I'm not opposed to *all* updates in general. I'm very very much opposed to large distinctive updates that completely change the feel of the dragon in question, completely change the pose or the 'attitude' of the sprite. I do not agree, at all, that all older dragons *need* to fit perfectly into these fairly arbitrary 'new standards', or that there is anything inherently wrong with allowing older art to be preserved. As a game centered around collecting sprites, completely changing an older sprite that thousands of people have already collected is a Big Deal. I don't believe in change for the sake of change, in any situation. I think any positives with possible changes need to be weighed against the negatives, and not simply changed because of 'new standards' or 'that old dragon got an update so these should too'. 

I have mixed opinions on this, having done a couple updates of my own.

Do I feel that sprite updates should be done or suggested by the original artist?  Absolutely unless they are no longer present.  It's really insulting to have your art picked apart.  (In the case of the Silvers, I had behind the scenes knowledge that Kitoxa had plans to shiny them up significantly.  That's why I left that thread alone.)

However, I feel that special circumstances are in play for breeds that existed during the Fog.  During that, new player-made sprites had to be created quickly, and were put onto the site with whatever flaws they might have had.  As such, many of them might not have been released today due to anatomical and shading issues, etc.  I have no issues with updating these - with major overhauls if necessary - to be more in line with current releases.

That being said, I don't think it is necessary to update recently released sprites at all unless the artist sees something that needs a tweak.

12 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

The point is that the majority of sprite updates cause a very noticeable change in the 'feel' of the sprite, and often not in a good way. 

Actually, the opposite seems to be true.

List of updated sprites (not counting "the fog" and the update directly following it, also not counting the addition of dimorphism):

• Aria (female), originally bright pink: The sprite may look different since it's bigger and more detailed, but the main color is surprisingly consistent, the pose the same. 
  • Electrics. There's been a little change to the near wing and far front leg on the male, plus some shading update. Did you even know this?
  • Frills (female): She lost the scaly look, as well as some questionable hind leg anatomy/posture and got lots of muscles.
  • Geode (male): He got a far wing added, as well as the lower edge/border of the near wing.
  • Gilded Bloodscales: Both adults got a shading update. Less dithering, more detailing. Whiskers were added, other golden details refined and the red markings became bolder. :wub: 
  • Golds. Enough said.
  • GoNs. Shading and details got refined, it looks like the sprite got into focus.
  • Horses (female): Shading and wing anatomy update, plus the fluffy bits got refined.
  • Ochredrakes got a shading update - from flat to wow, while the anatomy and pose remained almost unchanged. :)
  • Nebulas (S1): The hatchling actually got a slight shading update. I never even noticed...
  • Neotropical (female): She got quite an update on coloring, a bit of shading and some lines. But it's hard to notice if you don't see them side by side.
  • Nilias, both genders: No comment.
  • Pillows. Both adults got a slight shading update.
  • Purples (female): Shading got updated, plus some minor tweaks (far wing added...). (The "old male" shown on the wiki never actually made it into the cave.)
  • (Common) Pygmies: Why do I not remember that old sprite???
  • Pyralspites (Almandine): Some shading update took place here...
  • Reds. Have been discussed already, very different feel.
  • Royal Blues: The male S2 got updated to correct the marking on the shoulder/near leg.
  • Seasonals (all): All sprites got updated, and even though the colors and poses are kept close to the originals, let's put this down as a "bad" (in the sense of overly noticeable) update, although, personally, I'd like to argue that. (Not my personal opinion, honestly.)
  • Seragammas: These guys got a small anatomy update.
  • Silvers. We all know what happened there. Very noticeable.
  • Spitfires: The hatchlings got a shading update.
  • Sunrises (male): Slight shading update.
  • Sunsets: The male got a noticeable shading update, the female just a small one.
  • Splits: A big shading and slight anatomy update, very much keeping the spririt of the sprites intact.
  • Vampires: Shading and anatomy update, keeping the sprite's look mostly intact.
  • Waters: Hard to say which sprite you'd like to call the update, because both male and female retain some detail of the original. Both are great at keeping things in order, too.
  • Water Walkers: Got an update on tail position and some minor details (chest, head...)
  • Whiptails: Slight anatomy update.
  • Valentines (original): Got a drastical update way back when.
  • Marrow: There's an update on the female adult...
  • Holly. No idea whether to put it under red or black, really. 
  • Mistletoes: Got an update, too.

If you look at this list, how many sprite updates are there that you either never noticed or forgot about? And how many of the rest never bothered you in the first place? If handled with enough care, a good update will go either unnoticed or not "mess" with existing sprites.

I just wish Waverunners would get an update so I could work with some Storm Rider lineages ^^; 

I agree with someone in the other thread who said that an update to balloons might be... unfortunate. I don't think I would collect them even with a sprite update because they're super uncomfy but I digress.

Seeing as Silvannon did the Red update and also worked on the Dark Greens originally, I wish they could update those. There's a lot of details going on but I think they're so fascinating and they're such a unique breed that I feel they deserve an update. Though, I realize it might be hard because they're so.... busy.

There are also a lot of breeds I wish could be updated but the reason is just like, personal preference. I can recognize there's not really anything wrong with them. Spitfires, Black Teas, for example.

And I'm going to say it. The gold, silver, and red updates were needed and they're beautiful. I love the new sprites - I hate the old sprites for the most part (golds especially, people really got upset that we got the beautiful sprites we have now?! I personally don't understand it). 

I usually love sprite updates; I'm not attached to sprites. I'm attached to the designs and breeds themselves. There are, however, so many old sprites that don't really NEED updates? Even for original breeds like stones and greens. Bright-Breasted Wyverns are 8 years old but they hold up next to the modern breeds so well. But you know, if people think all we want is to replace anything "old," just because it's old, so be it I guess 🙄

There's a very obvious difference in quality even between Bright-Breasted Wyverns and Dorsals. There is a huge quality difference even between dragons that were straight up released with dorsals. Whiptails may be small, but they don't look strange and bent and flat and out of place. Pink Dragons are beautiful and totally look like newer releases. I have anatomy bones to pick with Sunrise/Sunset dragons, but their shading and general anatomy isn't strange when compared to the rest of the cave. (Just those wings, man) And these were all part of the SAME release! 

I'm pretty much in agreement with LadyLyzar. I'd say any artist who wants to update their own art ought to be able to without being hassled about it. For sprites that the original artist has left the site then I'd say it really depends on the sprite in question. I do like the fact that the more recent updates have made the effort to preserve the pose and feel of a sprite, including how it looks on the lineage tiles, while fixing things like anatomy and shading.

On the Sunsets, they were one of my first sprites and I totally didn't know how to do highlights.  They never should have been that dark - by the time I made the female, I knew how to do highlights :D and the male no longer looked right next to her.

Honestly I didn't even know about most of these - and that's what I feel most sprite updates should be.  Simple fixes that really don't change much.  However, there are cases when drastic work is needed due to serious flaws.

Edited by LadyLyzar

Personally, I think it depends. I'm update friendly in general, but some past updates could have been handled better. *glares at nilias, reds...*

Golds and Silvers I'm not so sure about, because they deserved to be shinied up, and personally, I think the Silver update was perfect for that. The gold update, however, changed a bit too much IMHO. (I still love the new sprites, though.)

What I'd really like to see are corrections on anatomy and on faulty shading, like shading with too little contrast or over-use of dithering. However, stylistical choices should stay as far as possible. Even if updated, balloons should still look kind of derpy, and dorsals should still look sleek. Just to name two examples where style matters. Or take Pebbles, for example. I wouldn't mind seeing them re-shaded with a touch more contrast, as long as the basic look isn't changed drastically. (Although, what's that thing in the background, to the left of the main body? An outstretched hind leg, maybe?) What I wouldn't want to see is a new shiny version with 150% muscle definition, scales all over the body, a detailed beard and wing membranes with countless folds and probably even visible blood vessels. 

Edited by olympe

26 minutes ago, olympe said:

Actually, the opposite seems to be true.

List of updated sprites (not counting "the fog" and the update directly following it, also not counting the addition of dimorphism):

• Aria (female), originally bright pink: The sprite may look different since it's bigger and more detailed, but the main color is surprisingly consistent, the pose the same. 
  • Electrics. There's been a little change to the near wing and far front leg on the male, plus some shading update. Did you even know this?
  • Frills (female): She lost the scaly look, as well as some questionable hind leg anatomy/posture and got lots of muscles.
  • Geode (male): He got a far wing added, as well as the lower edge/border of the near wing.
  • Gilded Bloodscales: Both adults got a shading update. Less dithering, more detailing. Whiskers were added, other golden details refined and the red markings became bolder. :wub: 
  • Golds. Enough said.
  • GoNs. Shading and details got refined, it looks like the sprite got into focus.
  • Horses (female): Shading and wing anatomy update, plus the fluffy bits got refined.
  • Ochredrakes got a shading update - from flat to wow, while the anatomy and pose remained almost unchanged. :)
  • Nebulas (S1): The hatchling actually got a slight shading update. I never even noticed...
  • Neotropical (female): She got quite an update on coloring, a bit of shading and some lines. But it's hard to notice if you don't see them side by side.
  • Nilias, both genders: No comment.
  • Pillows. Both adults got a slight shading update.
  • Purples (female): Shading got updated, plus some minor tweaks (far wing added...). (The "old male" shown on the wiki never actually made it into the cave.)
  • (Common) Pygmies: Why do I not remember that old sprite???
  • Pyralspites (Almandine): Some shading update took place here...
  • Reds. Have been discussed already, very different feel.
  • Royal Blues: The male S2 got updated to correct the marking on the shoulder/near leg.
  • Seasonals (all): All sprites got updated, and even though the colors and poses are kept close to the originals, let's put this down as a "bad" (in the sense of overly noticeable) update, although, personally, I'd like to argue that. (Not my personal opinion, honestly.)
  • Seragammas: These guys got a small anatomy update.
  • Silvers. We all know what happened there. Very noticeable.
  • Spitfires: The hatchlings got a shading update.
  • Sunrises (male): Slight shading update.
  • Sunsets: The male got a noticeable shading update, the female just a small one.
  • Splits: A big shading and slight anatomy update, very much keeping the spririt of the sprites intact.
  • Vampires: Shading and anatomy update, keeping the sprite's look mostly intact.
  • Waters: Hard to say which sprite you'd like to call the update, because both male and female retain some detail of the original. Both are great at keeping things in order, too.
  • Water Walkers: Got an update on tail position and some minor details (chest, head...)
  • Whiptails: Slight anatomy update.
  • Valentines (original): Got a drastical update way back when.
  • Marrow: There's an update on the female adult...
  • Holly. No idea whether to put it under red or black, really. 
  • Mistletoes: Got an update, too.

If you look at this list, how many sprite updates are there that you either never noticed or forgot about? And how many of the rest never bothered you in the first place? If handled with enough care, a good update will go either unnoticed or not "mess" with existing sprites.

Wow this is such a good point! I haven't been on the sprite for very long but I love looking through the wiki a lot at all the old sprites. I was around for the Red and Seasonal Dragon updates though and I really loved both of those! I didn't know so many dragons have had updates, but I agree that pretty much all of those updates were done tactically and in such a way that it doesn't wipe the original design.

I didn't actually know so many people actively opposed sprite updates because I just see it as freshening up the art! When a lot of stuff in the cave is of really high standard/quality, I think everything should look of that standard to give the breeds the real accurate, correct, and detailed depiction they each deserve :) I know a lot of people use the Dorsal as the example (have done some thread snooping!) and I think it is a shame that sprite has such incorrect anatomy because it has such promise as a beautiful looking breed, but they aren't done much justice anymore. I just love all sprite updates though, maybe because I love looking at art :D

See, this is where the whole 'art is subjective' thing comes into play. @olympe most of the updates you listed as minor are actually rather glaring to me. Arias are nowhere near the same as Bright Pinks in terms of overall feel. The Splits, the excessive muscles/definition in the new sprites completely screwed with the easy simple feel of the old ones. Etc etc etc. It's that whole 'get a dozen witness to the same crime and every single account will be different' thing, people simply experience things in different ways. So sure, some people might say that most of those updates were fairly minor, but some of us do not feel that way at all. Both views are completely valid.

edit because I know my wording might sound harsh: I do *not* mean that I hate the Arias or the updated Splits, or even dislike them at all. Actually I rather love the Arias. That doesn't change the fact that they *feel* very different from Bright Pinks. Honestly the only updates I've outright strongly disliked are Golds and Silvers.... But there are many others that have definitely changed the feel/attitude/perception of the sprite, at least in my eyes, and that's what I don't want to see happen to every single older sprite.

Edited by HeatherMarie

I'm a fan of updates, tbh. I prefer updates to sprite replacements, though. I think those are two different things and should probably be treated as such. If a sprite retains its original composition (as close to original colors as possible with some allowances for updates on shading, sprite position, lineage tile view, etc) then I think it stands as an update. But like golds, even silvers, I'd consider a sprite overhaul/replacement. Those have to be approached with more care imo. I'm not against them, but they obviously cause a lot of upset, and I think it'd need to be a pretty good reason for a total overhaul. 

I do believe older pieces of art should be updated, though, especially if the original artists aren't around any longer to do it themselves. 

1 hour ago, LadyLyzar said:

On the Sunsets, they were one of my first sprites and I totally didn't know how to do highlights.  They never should have been that dark - by the time I made the female, I knew how to do highlights :D and the male no longer looked right next to her.

Honestly I didn't even know about most of these - and that's what I feel most sprite updates should be.  Simple fixes that really don't change much.  However, there are cases when drastic work is needed due to serious flaws.

The sunset update crushed me TBH. I don't care if the original shading was technically unskilled or not; the colors looked lush and magical, like a mystical spirit of the twilight. After the update, it may have been more technically correct, but it no longer looked special.

In this case, it's your artwork, so if you like it better the new way, that's all she wrote. I'm just giving an example here of what I said in the earlier thread: sometimes people really don't give a flip if a piece of artwork has realistic shading or not. Sometimes they like art for fantastical, emotive reasons.

It would be an impoverished world if someone went and painted over every improperly dithered Monet painting and every anatomically incorrect Picasso painting with photorealistic crowd scenes. I can understand why people prefer the photorealism, and I can understand why people prefer the more 3D-plastic-model-looking style of dragon. I think it's good that they are being created, whether I personally like them or not (some I do, many I do not.) I just don't see why the older, more hand-drawn looking artwork has to be REPLACED in order to achieve that. 2-3 new dragons are being released every month, almost all of them in the 3D/shaded/superdetailed style. Why is that not enough to satisfy the fans of that style? Can't fans of the other styles keep even a few of our favorites?

Edited by tjekan

no one wants to change the style. the style is not the issue, the anatomy is. no one is saying the style is bad. 

other dragons in the "older," style or released at the same time, as I've pointed out, don't have the same issues. Stones, Greens, Whiptails, Geodes. There are STILL dragons being released in a more simplistic, older style - black truffles, freckleds, to name some VERY recent releases.

They just... y'know. Have actual anatomy and shading. You're never going to lose dragons in the old style. Whites, stones, greens, daydreams, storms... why would they need to be updated (except maybe to fix hangbutt). They're in the old style and they're fine. 

Also, ye old paintings are being restored all the time? There's an entire branch of like... artistic science dedicated to restoration and preservation of old artworks. 

But you see those are some of the dragons that I have seen people suggesting in other threads before as being in need of updating -- stones and greens at least. 

1 minute ago, Alrexwolf said:

Also, ye old paintings are being restored all the time? There's an entire branch of like... artistic science dedicated to restoration and preservation of old artworks. 

Restoration, Alrexwolf. Not updating. Art restorers are basically going "Oh hey, the layers of paint on this Van Gogh are starting to fade, what are we going to do to keep it looking exactly like it did when he painted it?" They DON'T say "Ugh, this guy was so bad at shading and the face is not realistic enough. Let's just, y'know, add some anatomy, and smooth out that choppy paint so it looks more consistent with the rest of the museum."

No, don't update Waterhorses :(

And those Nilias ... I went from loving them to completely ignoring them because they lost all their previous appeal to me. They were not just updated in terms of removing some subjective "flaws", they were completely changed - the only thing they kept was the colour. I wish they had just created a new breed instead of replacing an existing one.

Not everything needs updates.

36 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

I wish they had just created a new breed instead of replacing an existing one. 

This is the part that really flummoxes me. They could have made the new sprites a slightly different color and made them a nilia alt. Is there anybody who would really have objected to that? Wouldn't that have been better in every possible way-- gaining new sprites without losing any old ones?

1 hour ago, Alrexwolf said:

no one wants to change the style. the style is not the issue, the anatomy is. no one is saying the style is bad. 

I'd like to point out that the very first post in the Dorsal redesign thread specifically states 'Nothing way different just a stylistic change.' so it's definitely not true that no one is talking about changing the style. If you aren't, that's fine, but saying no one is is just not true. The OP of the Dorsal redesign thread has very very different ideas of what the Dorsal should look like, even posted sketches, and that is *definitely* more then just an anatomy change. 

I'm all for small anatomy changes. I'm against big stylistic changes. Some people have recently posted things that would definitely be fairly significant stylistic changes. Please don't pretend that's not happening. Please don't attempt to speak for everyone when others have posted the exact opposite of what you are saying. That makes it sound like you aren't taking it seriously, like you are ignoring those posts and insisting that everyone is only talking about small changes. I'm sure that's not your intention, but that's how it comes across.

I'm all for sprite updates, only like one has been outright worse out of a TON of sprites ranging from an improvement (some sprites are only gonna be able to look so good without a redesign) to a masterpiece (see golds and silvers)

And i'd like to oppose the popular opinion and say yes the styles/designs sometimes can look bad and should be overhauled/replaced. Art styles/designs can be bad or just unfitting. It depends on how dire the situation is but i'm all for redesigning a dragon from the ground up if it's bad enough. Nothing currently in cave is so poorly designed that that's necessary to remake it from scratch but reworking the pose (drastically or subtlety) sometimes needs to happen and i'm in favor of redesigns/re-styling/re-posing when necessary. 

I'd really like certain dragons to get updated:

Spoiler

-Blacks look kinda weird, the alts look better but the original just isn't that great looking and alts could probably do with a few touch ups but the originals are the ones that really need it, they're not well shaded and lack detailing.

-Soulstones could use some more work, they where made and designed in a hurry and it shows. They kinda look like a random dragon sprite was trimmed and reworked to resemble the lost dragon in a hurry so seeing them get a remastering would be great.

-Nebulae look really weird, the main thing is the wings, I think they should look a bit more like Carina wings. right now they look like someone made an actual nebula, cut it into wing shapes, and attached them to a dragon. It's an alright nebula but it looks weird being used as a solid body part made of flesh. Carina wings on the other hand look like three dimensional wings with nebula patterns on them which I think a nebula update should emulate. (The sprites should also be made a bit bigger so they can have more details, the whole dragon is very abstract and it's jarring when put next to all the detailed art and site backgrounds)

-Cheeses don't really look like cheese, I think it goes without saying why that needs to be rectified. I know TJ hates to admit that they exist on site at all and would be reluctant to do anything with them, early installment weirdness and all) but they're a fan favorite and there's nothing wrong with a bit of silliness/whimsy in a fantasy setting, it doesn't make it less legitimate.

-Magi could use the Red treatment, some better proportions, texture and shading would do them wonders. A new more unique egg sprite (maybe with an aura around it) would be pretty great to.

Other sprites probably need it too but I feel these could use the first few whacks (especially magi)

Edited by blockEdragon
Edited for flow and punctuation, retracted the cream coloring crit

1 hour ago, blockEdragon said:

Now you are really scaring me!

I'm generally supportive of sprite updates. I enjoy updates like Splits and Vampires - pose stays the same, but with correct anatomy and amazing shading. I personally like most of the complete overhauls like Golds, Silvers, and Undeads(yisss) as well, but I can see where the controversy comes from there.

Edited by SkyWolf25
"or" :p

There are a few sprites I think could use some mild updates (ala the way the female Purples or Whiptails were updated), but I've been stung by updates so many times as well that I'm generally against them. Even if they don't hurt me, SOMEONE'S probably going to feel something got wrecked. But the pessimist in me says we've complained about updates so much and they still happen, so might as well just endorse the ones I'd actually be okay with. 8^)

Just two floating thoughts I'll dump off here:

1) I think something being "lost" in sprite updates is almost inevitable. Making Silver dragons look more Silver and making sure all the anatomy in the Seasonals was in working order meant changing the original Silver color and the nice flowing tails of the Autumn Seasonals, and there really wasn't much to be done about it. The new sprites are lovely in many ways, and I enjoy them for what they are (especially the Seasonals, all of which other than the Autumns I like MORE than the originals without question--the male Winter drastically so), but there are times looking at old lineages that I still am sad by losing what was. Many of my old lines and years of work were specifically based around the old gray of the Silvers and the Autumn's tail positions. Loss can be minimized--and has been by carefulness on many spriter's parts, for which I'm very grateful--but I don't think it can ever be prevented fully.

2. For people who don't understand why things like the above are upsetting, it's this simple: there is very little to do on DC aside from collecting sprites and making lineages. These things are, inherently, based on exactly what the sprites look like at the time I choose to collect them. Unlike something like, say, Pokemon, where the art is secondary to all the other things you can do--battling, contests, mini games and the like--on DC the art is EVERYTHING. If a sprite suddenly updates to a sprite I don't like, then all the time I've spent playing the game by collecting that sprite or making lineages with it has essentially been deleted on me. Where I once might have had 35 copies of a sprite I liked and 10 lineages with them, now I have 35 copies of a sprite I don't like and 10 lineages I don't like. See how upsetting that can be? At least in Pokemon I'd have other things to do with them if the artwork changed. And, as stated above--even fairly mild changes can create this feeling, even if less intensely.

2 hours ago, blockEdragon said:

Reveal hidden contents

-Blacks look kinda weird, the alts look better but the original just isn't that great looking and alts could probably do with a few touch ups but the originals are the ones that really need it, they're not well shaded and the cream coloring is a bit too bright.

-Soulstones could use some more work, they where made and designed in a hurry and it shows. They kinda look like a random dragon sprite was trimmed and reworked to resemble the lost dragon in a hurry so seeing them get a remastering would be great.

-Nebulae look really weird, the main thing is the wings, I think they should look a bit more like Carina wings, right now they look like someone made an actual nebula, cut it into wing shapes, and attached them to a dragon, It's an alright nebula but it looks weird being used as a solid body part made of flesh. Carina wings on the other hand look like three dimensional wings with nebula patterns on them. (The sprites should also be made a bit bigger so they can have more details, the whole dragon is very abstract and it's jarring when put next to all the detailed art and site backgrounds)

-Cheeses don't really look like cheese, I think it goes without saying why that needs to be rectified. I know TJ hates to admit that they exist on site at all and would be reluctant to do anything with them, early installment weirdness and all) but they're a fan favorite and there's nothing wrong with a bit of silliness/whimsy in a fantasy setting, it doesn't make it less legitimate.

-Magi could use the Red treatment, some better proportions, texture and shading would do them wonders. A new more unique egg sprite (maybe with an aura around it) would be pretty great to.

other sprites probably need it but I feel these could use the first few whacks (especially magi)

I generally don't mind sprite updates like the Silvers and Reds. But on the other hand I really miss the old golds 😕

But nah man, the black dragons are perfectly fine as they are, they've always been nice and I really don't see any glaring problems with them like at all.... "they look weird" ????? I don't understand lol

I don't think everything should be updated, but the more older sprites could use the love. Just some updates to make them look more 'modern' like newer breeds. Dinosaurs, Papers, Cheeses, Blacks, Daydreams etc. would be great. All except for Albinos because I'm biased. Albinos are perfect as they are.