HeatherMarie

Trading Hub- Filter for full words only option

This was something I mentioned multiple times in the original trading hub feedback thread, and TJ even commented about it:

More then three months later, now, and it would be REALLY nice to actually have this. Searching a specific word in the filter box and getting tons of different words that happen to have those letters is very, very annoying. My go-to example is the fact that searching 'Ice' also brings up every single trade that is looking for 'nice' offers. Not very helpful! 

Support. I remember trying to search for 'Red' and it also brought up a bunch of trades using the words 'preferred' 'gendered' 'considered'... kind of a pain when all I wanted was to see was which trades were looking for Red dragons.

Support, but please keep it possible to enter "hatch" and find "hatchie", "hatchling", "hatchy" and whatever other spellings there may be.

Searching for "kin" without finding "looking" would really be great, but I'd still like to get "SAkin", "altkin", "tinselkin", "prizekin" and similar results without searching for every single option (and possibly missing a trade because I didn't think of that specific spelling variant)...

There should definitely be an option to search for partial words and get anything matching, like 'hatch' and such. But omg the 'ice' thing is so annoying. Constantly annoying. There are plenty of other examples but that's the one I search for the most, so... (bumping this a bit 'cause pleeeassse??)

So! Time to bump this again? Been almost a year since I started the thread and over a year since TJ responded (via link in OP). This really is frustrating when trying to search the Trading Hub.

I feel like this could be challenging because of the many different ways that people abbreviate the same thing. Unless everyone starts fully typing out all words, I don't know that the filter could perfectly catch everything.

That said, I do find it irritating that when I search for people who want to receive a vampire egg, for example, all that comes up are trades where someone has listed they have a vampire they are offering. Maybe there should be two separate text bars, one for have, one for want?

I wish the filter could be better in terms of catching abbreviations, but tbh I don't see how. Then again I'm not a programmer or anything. 

I would not want this, for the reason HeatherMarie noted - I like being able to search "hatch" and find all results with 'hatchi,' 'hatchie,' hatchies,' 'hatchling,' & 'hatchlings'. 

The best thing I can think of is to make the search accept/recognize spaces - searching for " red" should screen out the 'preferred' and 'offered' results and leave the 'want red egg' results.  (Right now the space gets ignored, which seems like a wasted opportunity to make the search more effective!)  This would also work nicely for things like distinguishing 'Gold' from 'Golden Wyvern' and "Water" from "Waterhorse" - searching "gold " or "water " would screen out all the unwated ones.

4 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Trading HAS a filter for hatchies....

It has a filter for people who are OFFERING hatchlings. It doesn't have a filter for people who WANT hatchlings.

But if you want them, isn't the smart thing to do to look for people who are offering them ? *confused*

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

But if you want them, isn't the smart thing to do to look for people who are offering them ? *confused*

Alas, no. A decent amount of people offer rare eggs and just want a hatchling in exchange (so they can get back to hunting for or breeding more rares), whereas people who are offering hatchlings often ask for very specific things (or, alternatively, are more picky than they can express in the small 'wants' box). So they don't pair up that well.

Edited by pinkgothic

Also, offering on someone else's trades is incredibly restrictive which makes people more likely to make their own trades regardless of what they're offering or wanting.

Anyway, I think a good compromise would be having some sort of search syntax in the trade hub search, with a little footnote or page listing them out.

8 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Ah, no, not what I mean.

Currently what you can do is go into the hub and filter for people who have hatchlings up for trade.

But what I'm referring to is you having a hatchling, maybe you just want something random, so you want to filter for anyone asking for hatchling offers. Not all of these people will have hatchlings for trade themselves. You'd be looking for people who want hatchlings, not that you want hatchlings yourself.