TJ09

2018-09-30 - September Dragon Release

AHHHH the adult dragons are beautiful! I especially love the Aether Wyvern. It has such a sky-and-cloud feel to it. The Pipio's look like little peace doves or angels, adorable.

I just saw the new adults and I love both dragons! They look great! 

Definitely gonna hoard those pygmies, I think they might be my favorite pygmy now :D

Ooh, I recognize the Aethers now that they're grown up. I didn't really pay attention to their development, I just remember looking at the finished adults and reaally hoping they'd be released soon. The same goes for the Pipios <3

Thank you TJ and spriters! It's been interesting seeing a release where a lot of people know what they are. Instead of waiting for the surprise, we already knew we were in for a treat. I wouldn't mind seeing DR releases more often.

I'm ever so slightly disappointed with the Pipios.  Mostly because they're so much bigger and more detailed than some of the older pygmies (Dark Mysts, looking at you) that it's going to seem kind of weird (to me at least) to pair them up.  Actually, I wonder if they'd look nice with Kyanites?  Uh,

image.png.520ef1685aa9ed84c1c312209361c598.pngimage.png.4ec095e1b05ce16ca1dfb6dc55fa0564.pngimage.png.b190505ef392e4b9e185fb62b6a5eb54.pngimage.png.4040fa59273cc172c4e4cec51333b8fd.pngimage.png.17f0ed285df7ee819eb017c9ab24f66d.pngimage.png.0c4d1f9f6f50d1dfe64bf8e3ed2bbf0f.pngimage.png.4dfa4934d61332a2a3c1165af2edc2d7.pngimage.png.208e8ccbfe3e276875631dd0a91f79ae.pngimage.png.fe64f5615d7ddba10b782f2029fd05d5.png

(That was a lot of copying and pasting.  I think I like the female Nilia, at least (the male kind of bugs me, and isn't so appropriately large for this, anyhow), and Magelights and Kyanites.  The Mimic Pygmies have a different general body type/look going on, and the pumpkins - actually, those look kind of nice, too; they're both shiny.  Dark Mysts kind of seem like a stylistic clash.)

Edit: It just occurred to me that some people are going to relish in the different, more grotesque bodies of Mimic Pygmies in contrast with these, and make "angel/demon" themed lineages.

Edited by Pilauli

Hmmm, how can the best(at least detail, proportion and smoothness wise) pygmy sprite be disappointing for being best?:P Small sizes are challenging to many spriters, and when someone deals with the size and details, their work is disappointing? like...whaaat? Good I moved to Tales of Ostlea with all my work, having seen that, I'd be scared of imporiving at some point xD

I love the colours on the Aether Wyvern! So pretty.

I've never been a fan of pygmies so... no comment there. Especially with the boring "haha pigeons are dumb" route taken with them.

The adults are both amazing!

I'm so glad the Pipios made it to the cave since they're so soft and cute. ^_^ The Aethers look awesome as well, they're just the right amount of blue and fluffy. Thank you for an awesome release, TJ and spriters!

Wonderful release, both breeds are absolutely beautiful! Congratulations to the artists, and thanks to everyone involved for a nice release!

I've followed these two all the way from DR, very happy that I can finally hoard them! Especially the Pipios -they're the first pygmies that I'll actively collect.

3 hours ago, Luxrayx said:

Ooh, I recognize the Aethers now that they're grown up. I didn't really pay attention to their development, I just remember looking at the finished adults and reaally hoping they'd be released soon. The same goes for the Pipios ❤️

Thank you TJ and spriters! It's been interesting seeing a release where a lot of people know what they are. Instead of waiting for the surprise, we already knew we were in for a treat. I wouldn't mind seeing DR releases more often.

I thought the Aether dragon description looked familiar.

All in all, a pretty cool release. Congrats again to Mewtie, hope to see more in-cave :D

2 hours ago, VixenDra said:

Hmmm, how can the best(at least detail, proportion and smoothness wise) pygmy sprite be disappointing for being best?:P Small sizes are challenging to many spriters, and when someone deals with the size and details, their work is disappointing? like...whaaat? Good I moved to Tales of Ostlea with all my work, having seen that, I'd be scared of imporiving at some point xD

People are entitled to their own opinion of things. No matter how amazing a dragon is there will be some who are not over the top about it.

I have to admit I was a little disappointed myself when I first looked at it. I had expected something smaller from the size of the hatchie. Also all the hype about it from people who had seen it in DR and loved it had raised my expectations to an extremely high level. On looking at it a bit more, I do realize the detail and the artistry of it, but still will not consider it my favorite among the pygmies. Sorry if that offends. I do think that @Mewtie shows a lot of talent and has given us a lovely addition to the cave. I will be looking forward to more of her work in the future, certainly! Congrats on becoming an in-cave artist!

29 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

People are entitled to their own opinion of things. No matter how amazing a dragon is there will be some who are not over the top about it.

I have to admit I was a little disappointed myself when I first looked at it. I had expected something smaller from the size of the hatchie. Also all the hype about it from people who had seen it in DR and loved it had raised my expectations to an extremely high level. On looking at it a bit more, I do realize the detail and the artistry of it, but still will not consider it my favorite among the pygmies. Sorry if that offends. I do think that @Mewtie shows a lot of talent and has given us a lovely addition to the cave. I will be looking forward to more of her work in the future, certainly! Congrats on becoming an in-cave artist!

This... is a fair point.I mean... NO dragon is gonna be EVERYONE's thing.

There are always SOME who aren't as pleased with a  new release as are others. Just a fact of being an artist, I think.

AT said, I DO get the point about pygmies being more difficult to do WELL because of their small size.

Gosh I love these so much!! I remember pining over the Pipios in the completed section, ha :D I love these little dove babies!! (pigeons and doves are the same thing, by the way! Just two different names for the same bird) They're beautifully sprited, too. Fantastically well done, @Mewtie :wub:

I also heavily enjoy the Aether wyvern! Fuzzy dragons are my weakness. ♥

My first batch of 8 have hatched and I now have another two of each and a Siyat to purple...  enough for now...

AAAAAAH I love them both! I remember seeing Pipios in Dragon Requests now that the adult is out - they're beautiful, easily my favorite pygmy. And good heavens the Aethers are lovely!

8 hours ago, relaks said:

Oh my, Pipios are gorgeous. Especially females, I love love love their pose.  They're like "Yeah, I'm pretty and I know it". The shading is amazing IMO (I don't know anything about spriting so to me it's absolutely mesmerizing how you can put so much detail in such a tiny little square of pixels). 

Very much agree!! I've read some basic spriting-tips things, but in general I know nothing about how to actually do anything like this... It's so amazing to look at some of the sprites on this site, *especially* the Pipios now, and see how much beauty and detail can be put into such a tiny little thing. The Pipios' wings, for instance, omg they are so beautiful and detailed and look so awesome how on earth is that possible in such little space? It's so amazing to see.

blast gale-force winds at them.

Fire Emblem, anyone? I kind of want to name one of my females after Sumia now... xD

Anyway, I really love both these dragons!! As expected of a Dragon Requests release. I love the design of the Aethers, with their wispy hairs and deep blues. Their lore is really interesting and creative too. Love the wind contests. The Pipios are among the best-looking sprites in the cave. The beauty and detail packed into the tiny sprites is breathtaking, they look like little angels. And with regard to the unintelligence thing - think of them as compared to other dragons, not compared to Earth animals.

25 minutes ago, cbussiere said:

Fire Emblem, anyone? I kind of want to name one of my females after Sumia now... xD

I've actually picked Galeforce as the suffix for my Aethers because of FE:A! It's neat to see how fitting it became once their descriptions are revealed.