osmarks

Show code above egg in biomes

Basically, I'd like an egg's code to be shown above that mystery egg sprite. Or below the description. Or above it. Just somewhere near the egg.

This should not cause lag (it's just some text, and may make code hunting somewhat easier on desktop/laptop and actually possible on mobile.

I'm suggesting this because - depending on browser/OS - it's either impossible (no URL shown without clicking) or annoying (long press required) to view eggs' codes.

No, please. What IS the need for this ? None. Code hunters can take their chances, as we do for rares etc. Hover works on ever browser I know, except mobile. and as with alts - 5 hours isn't long. Also people with slow Internet can use coded eggs for trades.

The thing is that the average egg you click on will not be coded, and in fact the chance is very low - it's not like with dorsals/ridgewings.

Anyway, the reason I suggested this is so that mobile users can actually hunt codes.

I've recently learned that frustration, that there is no way to see codes on mobile without a long-touch that doesn't seem to work reliably anyways (I was checking a code in the AP to see if it was one I'd already picked up). Even so, I really don't see why this would be necessary or beneficial. Word-codes, or z-codes, or whatever, aren't actually an in-game thing. They are only special because users decided they were special. The same way I don't want to see the game catering to stairsteps or low-gens, I don't really see a reason for the game to get involved in something completely user-driven like codes. And yes, in regular computer browsers you can just mouse-over to see the code, but that's something your browser does, not the game. And sure, simply showing the code doesn't necessarily mean the game is weighing in on code preferences, but if the game has no bias regarding codes then why the interest in highlighting it in a prominent way?

(I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense, it's late and I'm tired.)

If you really want the codes to show, I'm sure you could easily get (or write) a script that shows them.

PM me about it and I might try, I've been wanting to learn more Javascript.

...Or does that count as cheating? I mean, it's just showing already-available information more obviously, not grabbing eggs or anything.

Just throwing it out there that my only browser is Safari, and that doesn’t show links. Luckily, I’m not into code hunting at all so it doesn’t matter for me (or my siblings, as far as they’ve told me) but I can understand the frustration one might have if they were really into code hunting.

(Edit: took my own advice and looked up if there’s a way to show links as you hover over them in Safari and lo-and-behold, there is! Definitely suggest taking my next paragraph’s advice)

That being said, I’m fairly positive on a lot of browsers there’s an option to display the name of the link you’re hovering over in one of the corners of the screen, so it might be worth checking your browser settings or searching online for a way to display this?

I think I have to agree with the majority though - not all users are code hunters, and as such I don’t feel like this is something that needs to be implemented on the whole site. I do agree that it’s annoying on mobile, but (on my Apple device ((yes I’m an iSheep)) at least), there’s an option to long hold for perhaps half a second, and the link becomes visible. It’s not ideal, but is possible. 

Edited by RealWilliamShakespeare

I'm into code hunting and I'm a strict mobile user. Sometimes I miss out on great codes because of this but other times, I pick some up. It's a gamble and most times it normally just takes me less than a minute to check all the biomes. So no support unless this was a pure option for mobile users

Edit: even then I'm still iffy about it

Edited by Dalek Raptor

As a code hunter on both PC and mobile... nehh, I personally don't need an extra boost; as Dalek said - it's a gamble. Sometimes great codes get picked up in split second, sometimes they just sit there like nobody cares, especially if they're a non-classic dragon type like a drake or pygmy because you can't do much with them. I've seen the codes getting more and more popular but I feel it's still quite a niche interest on a more... professional level, if I can call that this way.

22 hours ago, Zeditha said:

If you really want the codes to show, I'm sure you could easily get (or write) a script that shows them.

...Or does that count as cheating? I mean, it's just showing already-available information more obviously, not grabbing eggs or anything.

I think this would be cheating. AFAIR someone was informed of that a few years ago when they naively posted a screenshot of the AP that had the codes added by a script. It definitely gives a huge advantage over users who don't use the script.

So one reason to support this suggestion would be that it would level the playing field between cheaters and non-cheaters (among code hunters, that is)... But we probably shouldn't ask for features using the argument "cheaters might already have that anyway"...? Idk.

(If a script like that did not count as cheating, I'd immediately try to make one for myself and hope most other users won't have one. 😛  And this thought probably proves that it must be considered cheating. I think it's the same as using a script that adds a big red text saying "GOLD! CLICK IT!" next to the Gold egg's description. That would also just be showing already-available information...)

mmph. i don't think this does the aesthetic appeal of the site any favors.

as much as it'd help my code collections, i'm pretty meh on the idea as well.

707920513_ScreenShot2018-09-30at5_44_39PM.thumb.png.95ce3aec8c1b25698454da3c6ea5d70e.png

2 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

mmph. i don't think this does the aesthetic appeal of the site any favors.

Agreed. I think I would find it quite distracting actually and not very attractive.

I don't use mobile for DC so I cannot comment on its usability for code gathering. But on a computer I see no need. Hovering over eggs to see the URLs is very easy and fast and when I'm out hunting I am very rarely beaten to a code. I do also think it sort of turns it into a more recognised thing in the actual game, which I personally prefer it not be so. It is just a random mash of numbers and letters made to be an ID, after all.

I personally don't see a reason for this to be enabled....  

On 9/28/2018 at 9:55 AM, Zeditha said:

I'd say it gives you an advantage over other users, so it's most likely cheating - and thus, forbidden by the TOS.

I guess I'm the odd one out but I'm actually in favor of this. It isn't exactly pretty, but I don't care too much about that outside of my own scroll. I feel like it would benefit more than just those who hunt for codes, without harming anyone who doesn't care about codes.

If you're hunting for rares in the cave, and a Gold pops up, someone who isn't looking at codes will see the description faster than someone who is. Golds are rare, so it stands to reason that Golds with good codes are even rarer. It would not help code hunters catch rares or make it harder for anyone else to catch rares.

Additionally, it could help the cave turn over more quickly. Sometimes the cave gets stuck with three of the same common in a row in one biome, and doesn't move for a while. If codes were visible, code hunters would be more likely to grab one of those commons and get the cave moving again. Even non-code-hunters might see something they like and grab it when normally they wouldn't have bothered to check, again helping the cave to move along.

In the AP, it would help everyone hunting there when there are multiple eggs of the same species, and especially when there is a wall of a single species, by making it easier to see which eggs you have already picked up and tossed back. You'd still have to remember the codes yourself, but it would be much quicker and easier to see. While I would like to see this implemented everywhere, I'd be okay with it only happening in the AP, since it already operates differently from the cave anyway.

I would definitely NOT want to see this apply to only one set of users (mobile only and not desktop, for example). I think that would be too "unbalanced." I'm not sure where, but I know TJ has mentioned before that the AP needs to display the same for everyone, which is why suggestions like greying out eggs you've tossed back have been rejected in the past.

5 minutes ago, GhostMouse said:

Additionally, it could help the cave turn over more quickly. Sometimes the cave gets stuck with three of the same common in a row in one biome, and doesn't move for a while. If codes were visible, code hunters would be more likely to grab one of those commons and get the cave moving again.

Unlikely. The majority of codes is really fairly uninteresting ... and won't bet prettier just by displaying them.

7 minutes ago, GhostMouse said:

In the AP, it would help everyone hunting there when there are multiple eggs of the same species, and especially when there is a wall of a single species, by making it easier to see which eggs you have already picked up and tossed back.

Not to me. After a couple of minutes of AP hunting, all those letters and numbers would probably start forming a mosh pit in front of my eyes.

My biggest issue, I think, is that I think it would make hunting *harder* for anyone who's not specifically looking for certain codes. Because your eye will naturally be drawn to the code (especially if it's above the egg like in that mock-up). I know many people already have a hard time training themselves to focus only on the descriptions, and only on specific keywords in descriptions because if you take the time to read the whole egg description it'll be gone by the time you click it. Anything close enough to the egg/description that it will draw your eye away from the description is going to make it harder to actually concentrate on the description. 

In the Cave, eggs already display with a '?' egg image, to keep the eggs anonymous. I wonder how difficult it would be to replace that '?' symbol with an overlay of the code?

If I'm not being clear I can probably make a mock-up, but it'd take me a while.

Heather makes an excellent point - I really feel like the code would draw the eye much more than the description because it’s shorter. Especially for the more seasoned players, people who’ve been here for years and are really used to only having a description, having a new thing pop up over the egg would be incredibly eye-catching because we simply wouldn’t be used to it, and I feel that’s quite unfair while hunting.

As well as that, I kinda feel like the code would really confuse new players. On the scroll, the code is shown where names are shown, making it clear what it’s purpose is. I know for sure that if I was a new player and all these nonsense codes kept popping up over the egg it’d really confuse me, and it would probably make new players think codes are more important than they really are, adding a sense of competition that isn’t existent.

4 hours ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

As well as that, I kinda feel like the code would really confuse new players. On the scroll, the code is shown where names are shown, making it clear what it’s purpose is. I know for sure that if I was a new player and all these nonsense codes kept popping up over the egg it’d really confuse me, and it would probably make new players think codes are more important than they really are, adding a sense of competition that isn’t existent.

That's a good point. Looking at this from a new player's perspective, I personally would probably think these seemingly-gibberish strings of letters and numbers *had* to mean something. The descriptions beneath each egg are different for each breed, they have a purpose of cluing you in to what breed it is. So having more text close to the egg must be important as well. Honestly I'd probably drive myself nuts trying to figure out some secret hidden meaning behind the codes, there must be a pattern or something, there must be *something* important about them if they are shown right there. That's how I'd think if I wasn't familiar with the concept of codes. That would probably be pretty confusing for newer players.

What she said. Also it would make me cross-eyed...