UnicornMaiden

BSA to influence breed

43 minutes ago, Ruffledfeathers said:

Also what about dragons which aren’t yet on the market. I guess it could be a similar system but with the ratios.

just one more reason to argue why they should be there.

On 10/13/2018 at 10:01 PM, sbld said:

Can I ask how this would work for hybrids? If I was breeding daydream with a white, how would influencing one or the other work? 

I think it would decrease the chance of getting a hybrid. If you used the BSA on the Daydream, then the egg would be more likely to be a Daydream than either a White or a Soulpeace.

I fully support this idea and I agree with @UnicornMaiden, Ariadragons would be the perfect breed for such a BSA.

On 9/28/2018 at 3:02 AM, Ruby Eyes said:

You could tie the success chances to the difference in Market prices at breeding time.

E.g. I want to get a Magi from an Ash? Both are at 100 shards, so the BSA could raise the chance to get a Magi by 100/100 = 1 => 100%.

I want to get a Mageia out of an Ash? Mageia is 400 shards, to the BSA could raise the chance at a Mageia by 100/400 = 0.25 = 25%.

Silver out of Ash? Silver is 3000 shards right now. That adds 3% to the chance at getting a Silver.

Like that, you wouldn't need to limit the BSA to certain arbitrarily chosen "common" breeds, as there is already a formula that dynamically calculates (and nowadays also displays) current rarity of dragons. You could still spend a BSA on your rares and hope for the best, for those measly 3%, but it shouldn't be gamebreaking.

And this sounds like the best way to define it. That way you will get a way to work around commons trumping over other commons, without having to affect the rares' ratios in a significant way.

On 10/14/2018 at 3:01 AM, sbld said:

Can I ask how this would work for hybrids? If I was breeding daydream with a white, how would influencing one or the other work? 

That’s a good point, actually. The BSA would have its problems I guess and idk how a way around that would work?

It would also not work for holidays ;) It would be a BSA with limits, kinda like Bite cannot turn Drakes, Pygmies or 2-Headeds.

If this was to be tied to the Market, hybrids wouldn't be available for this feature anyway. Neither would Prizes.

We don't actually know about holidays yet, they may appear in the market during the week they are breedable, particularly if we get the holiday biome back.

12 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

We don't actually know about holidays yet, they may appear in the market during the week they are breedable, particularly if we get the holiday biome back.

No matter if they will be or not, they still won't breed outside of their own holiday. :blink: And during their holiday, they won't breed anything else.

Keeping it tied directly to the market means that we couldn't influence any that aren't on the market. So that would be a great idea to side-step the prizes, have the influencing ability of the rares be way down, and be able to impact the commons that desperately need the help. It wouldn't affect hybrids which would help keep such things more rare, or at least uncommon, and have to breed for it. It would work wonderfully in-cave since it comes with its own limitations to keep it from getting out of hand. Also, if market prices raise or decrease (rare possibility but bear with me here) then the ability would also reflect that, by being tied in so neatly with the market itself.

We already have the coding for certain breeds to be affected by it and none other, thanks to the market.

I think even if the holidays have their own biome, it seems to be restricted to their holiday only - which is a good idea. Besides, if you show up at the right time, you can breed them or grab the abandoned ones of the bred holidays, so it's not like you have too long to wait before you can get more holidays again. They always breed true on their holidays, after all. So why should they be affected by the ability? They're not on the market and also don't need the help. So no need for the BSA to apply to them as well.

So this is a wonderful solution to the common lineage problem, without impacting the rares as far as I can see.

I also second the Aria dragons sneakily hiding this ability all this time, just as they hid being two sexes instead of one. Purples are the same, with hiding their Fertility BSA and their two sexes for so long. Pinks were also a surprise two-sex dragon with a useful BSA. Arias are also common and easy enough to get as a BSA dragon.

All three of those breeds have strong and distinct similarities with each other, All three ended up diversifying their sexes and two got a BSA. Why not bring up the third of the trio and give them a BSA as well. Could be a nice Dragon Cave's birthday surprise!

It'd even have the base for in-game lore of the Arias using some sort of singing magic, like sung spells, to do it. And they just hid this ability from us for so long, because they're sneaky that way. Like surprisingly sneaky songbirds in the wild. Said birds also use song to find others of their own species, so it wouldn't be a huge stretch if you look at it from the biology standpoint.

All said, this gets two clawed thumbs up from me!

Edited by Indigo_Dragon

On 9/28/2018 at 9:49 AM, DragonLady86 said:

hmm, on the one hand so many people would use this trying for rares that it would likely mess up the ratios really bad which makes me want to say no.

On the other hand there are far too many common x common pairings out there where it is impossible to get one of the breeds from, which would make this really useful. 

To make a BSA suggestion, you should either 1. have a dragon in mind, with an explanation of why it is a good choice or 2. make a suggestion for a new dragon in dragon requests that is built around this ability. Unfortunately, the ratios problem is likely to trump this issue and pull it into the negatives.

If BSA could be introduced onto an already-existing species, I think the best would be the Duotone from obvious reasons. It best express the duality of an egg and it would be also our first 2 head with a BSA

To be fair, some people do breed same holiday x holiday, like say solstice x holly. Given you have 1 chance a year to get the breed you need out of them, and it's fully random, letting the BSA be able to affect holidays seems fair whether it's only during the holiday periods or not.

Such could be helped by ensuring that holiday/holiday clutches contain at least one of each breed. At least for Halloween, I never observed only 1 egg, always 2, 3 or 4, so that could work.

53 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Such could be helped by ensuring that holiday/holiday clutches contain at least one of each breed. At least for Halloween, I never observed only 1 egg, always 2, 3 or 4, so that could work.

That can't work with one like this of mine:  https://dragcave.net/lineage/afjCB

Two different holidays in there makes that one a non-starter. I will never get a ribbon at Hallowe'en - and I wouldn't want things skewed so that I could.

11 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

That can't work with one like this of mine:  https://dragcave.net/lineage/afjCB

Two different holidays in there makes that one a non-starter. I will never get a ribbon at Hallowe'en - and I wouldn't want things skewed so that I could.

We were discussing breeding the same holiday together: Halloween x Halloween, or Christmas x Christmas. Since a mixed pairing is still essentially a holiday x not-that-holiday pair, it would and should remain ineligible for any improvement TJ would make regarding same-holiday pairings.

I get that - but the posts did just say holiday x holiday ! There HAVE been mixed clutches in the past, but I've not seen one in years.

:blink:

Well, I'd never run seriously with snow angels. I didn't get the one I wanted in the first place, and they are hard to trade because of the scroll locked wing type.

But yes.

I'm pretty sure I've had some mixed clutches last year from Ribbon Dancer x Winter Magi. I bred at least two 2nd gen pairs of those, with mixed results, really.

I've bred Aegis and Solstice together and gotten multi-egg clutches with eggs of both breeds, like so. I don't see any reason why the BSA shouldn't work on holiday dragons, even if it only applies to same-holiday pairings. For multi-egg clutches I think it would make the most sense for the BSA to apply to each egg individually. For example, if two Holiday dragons of different breeds produce a clutch of three eggs and the BSA calculates a 25% chance of success, then I think each of the three eggs should have a +25% chance of being the desired breed.

The BSA would not override the rules that already apply to holiday breeding. It would have a 100% chance of failure if used on a holiday dragon outside of their breeding period. It would be ineffective if used on a holiday/non-holiday pairing within the breeding period because the holiday dragon would always breed true.

Fully support this idea, especially as a BSA for the Aria. As a lover of checker lineages this would be very helpful!

I'm starting an Aether x Almerald lineage soon and dread the potential one-sidedness...

Now that UnicornMaiden elaborated how the BSA would impact Holidays I am in full and firm support of that addition to the BSA. :)

Cooldown period hasn't come up, but I was thinking that a two week cooldown would be good for this. Not too short and not too long.

Throwing in my support for this, with Arias as the BSA dragon. Was just thinking about making this exact suggestion, came here ready to post it and found that someone beat me to it by a couple of weeks!

Semi-support. I would like this for when I want a certain breed egg but have only one adult of that breed, but it could potentially be economy-breaking unless there are limits on what dragons can be breed-influenced.