UnicornMaiden

BSA to influence breed

Fully support this, especially if it lets us influence breed for hybrids (not as in, increase chance of getting, say, a Soulpeace, but increase the chance of a Soulpeace breeding its breed). I've been trying to breed a (long, will be 6G) lyrical lineage with Siyat and Carina and I'm stuck on 2G because my pairs seem to breed only Siyats x w x

On 11/29/2018 at 9:42 PM, InfiniteGalaxiezz05 said:

Semi-support. I would like this for when I want a certain breed egg but have only one adult of that breed, but it could potentially be economy-breaking unless there are limits on what dragons can be breed-influenced.

Rather than limit it to certain breeds there was a suggestion above to have the BSA's success rate be tied in with the breed's market value. When trying to influence for a common breed there would be a high chance of success, and when trying to influence for a rare breed there would be a low chance of success. That way it could be used on any breed without throwing off the ratios. Would that satisfy your concern?

On 11/29/2018 at 11:17 PM, Arkee said:

Fully support this, especially if it lets us influence breed for hybrids (not as in, increase chance of getting, say, a Soulpeace, but increase the chance of a Soulpeace breeding its breed). I've been trying to breed a (long, will be 6G) lyrical lineage with Siyat and Carina and I'm stuck on 2G because my pairs seem to breed only Siyats x w x

Yes. If you used it when breeding a White to a Daydream it would decrease your chance of getting a Soulpeace because they would be more likely to breed whichever parent you used it on. But if you used it on a Soulpeace when breeding with any other dragon it would increase the chance of getting a Soulpeace. Same with Carina and any other hybrids.

I support this suggestion. I know TJ says the breeding is okay as it is, but in practical experience it can be awfully hard to get the common you want out of common x common pairs. If success were based on the market value of the breeds, as has been suggested, then I don't see how it could hurt the ratios, and it would make a lot of us more likely to use some of those difficult breeds in lineages, which seems like it would actually help the ratios for those breeds in the long run.

This would be so helpful with new breeds heavily influenced by ratios. And by new I mean even Fells which are just - not that new anymore, and yet getting anything else out of them is pretty damn annoying. (Good thing I like Fells so much, but still).

Even if TJ is right (an d given some heavily one-way loaded breeds we all know and curse, I...) it would be great to have a better chance of the breed you want. I am in a huge checker project and better than 50% of the time we get the wrong breed. Even though they are showing up fairly 50% ish, it always manages to give the wrong one - at 6th gen, even :( It's so VERY frustrating.

And it's even a project where we *don't* want any alts ...

(at least with Ridgewings we know pretty quickly if we can drop it)

Edited by Ruby Eyes

What she said. (I have a couple of 5th get alts :( Arrggh. ) 

Amen on the checkers thing! Not just checkers, either... this goes for any project that needs a symmetrical pattern: rainbows, for example.

Trying to get this idea talked about again in the hopes of it maybe moving toward being implemented...

In the discussion that has taken place about how this BSA could be implemented we never had any talk about what a good name would be for it. We already have a BSA called Influence for influencing whether it is male or female, so I wouldn't want to use a similar word for this one. Calling it something with Breed in the name could be confusing since breeding is already an action that is performed with our dragons.

When I mentioned Aria Dragons as the breed to have this BSA someone suggested they could use singing magic to do it. So maybe a name like Mating Call or Incantation could work?

Any ideas for a good name?

@UnicornMaiden

Chant? Inherit? Bequeath?

Transmit? Though that makes it sound like a disease ...

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Suggest? Hint? Assuming there is fairly high risk of failure.

2 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Assuming there is fairly high risk of failure.

With the marketplace-dependent formula, there's still a chance of failure just like before, just a bit smaller. Failures include refusal, no interest and no egg as well, or the ocassional hybrid if available (make a Green/Stone checker and see how many Geodes you get!)

5 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

With the marketplace-dependent formula, there's still a chance of failure just like before, just a bit smaller. Failures include refusal, no interest and no egg as well, or the ocassional hybrid if available (make a Green/Stone checker and see how many Geodes you get!)

Thanks, but not thanks. You could also do the same thing with PB Stones or Pebbles...

1 minute ago, olympe said:

You could also do the same thing with PB Stones or Pebbles...

Except that PB is not a checker.

3 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Except that PB is not a checker.

And yet, there's room for failure.

ETA: That being said, I'm not asking for being able to choose which alt you get or anything like that. But if we're going for "choose breed", this is just as valid a concern.

Edited by olympe

16 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

@UnicornMaiden

Chant? Inherit? Bequeath?

Transmit? Though that makes it sound like a disease ...

Inherit sounds nice! We get to influence which characteristics the offspring will inherit.

We can also use a noun (like Precognition). How about heritage? Just to avoid having yet another BSA starting with In XD

100% support from me !

About the name - how about "Legacy" ?

As far as I know (not a native speaker) "inherit" is a passive verb. You can only inherit something from someone else, so the dragon that gives the boon having it called "inherit" sounds strange to me. Using the noun would help with that, "Inheritance". The correct biological term for things concerning the transfer of genetic characteristics seems to be "Heredity", but that's just the abstract term, not a concrete thing.

"Legacy" is a bit abstract, too, but it is something you can both give and get. So the Arias could "give" the legacy of the preferred parent to the new egg, by magically strengthening the powers of that breeds legacy via their song. Assuming here that the breed of each dragon often comes with certain traits that affect personality as well as physiological markers. (At least those breeds that are described more like intelligent creatures often have a kind of own culture, to some extend.)

Of course, that makes the whole thing more magical than biological, but I think that's both fair play in Valkemare. ;)

Edited by Lantean_Pegasus

Herit is the word they seem to use in eugenics projects - as in "heritable characteristics". Or even eugenic or genome ? (if we can have "precognition (a noun) as the BSA for Aeons, why not ?) Select would work, but suggests a no fail rate. And here's a good one from the past: stirpiculture. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oneida_stirpiculture

Wait - Dominance ? You can choose which derg is the dominant partner - but it wouldn't mean that gene WOULD prevail, just that it was more likely to....

I like dominance. To me inherit doesn't seem to have quite the right meaning, although I honestly wouldn't quibble about what we call it as long as it comes to be a thing!!

I like Heredity. Legacy kind of sounds nice, but I agree it's a little too abstract. A legacy can refer to many things. For the same reason I don't really like Dominance. If you look at it strictly from a genetic point of view it makes sense, but just hearing the word on its own makes me think of one dragon bullying another.

I support the name Heredity. "Dominance" in terms of breeding conjures something else entirely for me XD