Fishkeeper

2 new BSAs, Tap (try to hatch 1 egg early) and Watch Egg (keep eggshell)

I had an idea for a pair of dragons, but I'm not sure how to put them in the dragon request thread, because they are two different breeds but are too strongly associated to just mention one. 

The idea is this: one dragon is a collector of some sort. It likes eggshell fragments and has very dextrous forelimbs. Its BSA is "Tap", where it can tap a cracked egg and try to hatch it slightly early. Got an egg that's, say, 2 hours from being able to hatch and has enough views? Tap it. Either the egg hatches early due to the shell being gently tapped apart, or the baby inside is frightened by the tapping and won't come out for slightly longer (time gets added to the till-death timer). This BSA only works on an egg that's at the final stage of cracking and is within 2 hours of being able to hatch.

The descriptions are below: 

Tap: the dragon carefully taps a heavily cracked egg, attempting to shatter the shell early and hatch the egg. If successful, may attract something with the dragon's happy trills.

Successful (baby dragon hatches now): 

The dragon skillfully taps the egg and the shell splits apart, a confused baby dragon tumbling out. 

Unsuccessful (2 hours added to time 'till death): 

The dragon skillfully taps the egg, but the shell doesn't break. You hear a frightened noise from inside, and all attempts at hatching cease. You scared it!

There's also another dragon, probably a pygmy. Every successful use of Tap has a chance of attracting one of these dragons as an adult. Supposedly it's drawn to the happy noises that the Tap dragon makes when an egg hatches. 

This pygmy has a BSA, Watch Egg. It can only be used on an egg that hasn't yet started to crack. What it does is allow the pygmy to watch the egg as it hatches, and it gathers up the shards of eggshell and sticks them back together, essentially 'freezing' an egg. To avoid the trouble that could come from an egg hatching and splitting into two entities, you get an Egg Collection badge as soon as you find one of these pygmies, and the badge is clickable. It works like past events where we've been able to collect, say, candy. Every time the pygmy uses its BSA to repair and keep an eggshell, that egg shows up under the badge, and you can click the badge to view your collection of eggshells. 

Watch Egg: the dragon monitors an egg the entire time it cracks, gathering shards of the shell as soon as they fall loose. When the egg hatches, the dragon assembles the eggshell out of the shards, binding the shards together with a sticky glue, and adds them to its collection. 

I'm not sure if this would have a failure chance. 

I guess these could also be combined into Tap and Keep. Dragon taps egg to try to hatch it early and keep the shell. Three possible results: baby hatches early and dragon successfully repairs/keeps shell, baby hatches early but dragon fails to keep shell (due to baby eating it?), or baby is frightened and takes longer to hatch. 

I am In full support of this idea. It really would make more use of a user’s time if you could hatch an egg early, but there is a risk with that, so it balances each outcome out, if you under stand what I mean. As for the ‘Keep’ BSA, that would be fun as well. Dragon cave is a collecting game, so collecting egg shards would certainly add to the game’s purpose. I have an idea for your suggestion. What if your dragon can only collect a few shards at a time? You would have to hatch several eggs of the same breed to get the full egg, and the badge could show your progress on each egg.

EDIT: I love how Well thought out your idea is. This really does sound like it could become official. Well done.

Edited by Wolves-and-Wings

You can put two breeds into one DR thread if they're closely linked (like yours are).

However, it is notoriously hard to get a DR thread started if you only think about the dragon's lore. You have to remember that this site is about sprites; you need a detailed description of how you want the dragons to look, preferably some references or sketches too.

I do like your idea, but you gotta make the dragons too, not just the BSA ;)

Think about *why* the dragon is able to do what it's doing, and remember that other dragons can't. What makes your breed so special?

(Answer this stuff in a DR thread! :))

I don't really support this, honestly. If you have a heavily cracked egg that still has a day or a few hours left on it, you can just Incu-hatch it - that is, use Incubate on it and it can hatch immediately. If you've already used Incubate and it's still heavily cracked with a two hours left, I feel like that's somewhat... Cheaty? You can already take a whole day off it's time; taking a day and then two more hours off it's time seems too much imo. And given the fact that you can Incu-hatch it from twenty four hours left until time of death, I can't see myself ever using something that only takes two hours off. As for the Watch Egg thing, I can't really see any use for that myself, sorry.

It's worth making a Dragon Request for it, but like Zeditha said, there have to be unique cool designs for the dragons instead of an entirely-BSA dragon. I can imagine the tap dragon having an aye-aye finger, lol.

44 minutes ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

I don't really support this, honestly. If you have a heavily cracked egg that still has a day or a few hours left on it, you can just Incu-hatch it - that is, use Incubate on it and it can hatch immediately. If you've already used Incubate and it's still heavily cracked with a two hours left, I feel like that's somewhat... Cheaty? You can already take a whole day off it's time; taking a day and then two more hours off it's time seems too much imo. And given the fact that you can Incu-hatch it from twenty four hours left until time of death, I can't see myself ever using something that only takes two hours off. As for the Watch Egg thing, I can't really see any use for that myself, sorry.

It's worth making a Dragon Request for it, but like Zeditha said, there have to be unique cool designs for the dragons instead of an entirely-BSA dragon. I can imagine the tap dragon having an aye-aye finger, lol.

Well, the Tap BSA would be useful in the following cases:

- You need to go to beed pretty much NOW. But you still want your already fully cracked and incubated egg hatch instead of waiting for the next day when you can go online again. For many of us, this means waiting between 20 and 24 hours. So, even if it fails, there's practically no penalty for you.

- NDs. Your egg is turned, in the last seconds of its life, and fully cracked. You use tap to either get the hatchling out (before it dies) or add some time to its timer (to buy you enough time to hatch it properly). Win:win.

- You need to open scroll space NOW. All your eggs are incubated, fully cracked and waiting for the timer to go down to 4 days. (Especially useful for the very busy holiday breeding seasons.)

13 minutes ago, olympe said:

- NDs. Your egg is turned, in the last seconds of its life, and fully cracked. You use tap to either get the hatchling out (before it dies) or add some time to its timer (to buy you enough time to hatch it properly). Win:win.

Forgive me for saying this but... Isn’t that the point of NDs? They’re so hard to get, so rare, and hard work pays off for them. I personally don’t really support features that would allow you to sit back and get a ND easily ^^; That is just not a mechanic that I feel should be tampered with. 

I'm not really sure I see a huge usefulness for 'tap'... As has been pointed out, we already have Incubate, which takes off an entire *day*. Is there really a huge deal in taking off an extra 2 hours or so? Also, if it only works on eggs that are already cracked... We also have Earthquake. While Earthquake is risky, and affects all eggs instead of just one, it *does* do pretty much the exact same thing. So, we already have a BSA that takes an entire day off the timer, *and* one that allows a chance of hatching the egg early. I'm not sure I see a need for a third hatching BSA. 

And, while I would *love* the ability to 'freeze' an egg (I've supported that forever), I'm not sure it should be as a BSA that requires the use of a different BSA in order to attract the dragon...

This concept should be developed in a DR topic since it involves the creation of new dragon breeds.

You are more than welcome to include this information in the topic.