osmarks

DUPLICATE:Show Egg Sprites in Biomes

I believe this has been suggested before, but I can't actually find it, so:

I think the sprites of eggs (is that the right word? probably) should be shown along with their descriptions in the cave.

It seems a bit weird that they don't already get shown. Showing egg sprites in the cave would allow people looking for a certain egg to avoid checking the wiki or whatever to get its description, and probably help recognition of eggs, especially for anyone who can't read very fast.

That’s the point. The point of the biomes is that you can’t see what egg you’re getting and have to rely on descriptions instead - otherwise descriptions would be pretty much completely useless.

I like the sprites being invisible in the biomes, it makes hunting actually a challenge :)

2 minutes ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

That’s the point. The point of the biomes is that you can’t see what egg you’re getting and have to rely on descriptions instead - otherwise descriptions would be pretty much completely useless.

I like the sprites being invisible in the biomes, it makes hunting actually a challenge :)

It's not as if there's much skill. It's 90% internet and reflexes.

It is admittedly somewhat hard to actually attach a description to whether you want it fast, but I think it's mostly reflexes there too.

Edited by osmarks

Some eggs share descriptions though (or have alts), and the point is that you won't know which one you have until you click on it (though sometimes they don't share a biome so you can try to minimize mistakes). Even with the best reflexes ever, that's a factor you cannot change, which gives a little bit more "balanced" luck for everyone.

It is pretty frustrating sometimes, but I actually think the "unkown" factor is pretty neat. 🙂

Just now, relaks said:

Some eggs share descriptions though (or have alts), and the point is that you won't know which one you have until you click on it (though sometimes they don't share a biome so you can try to minimize mistakes). Even with the best reflexes ever, that's a factor you cannot change, which gives a little bit more "balanced" luck for everyone.

It is pretty frustrating sometimes, but I actually think the "unkown" factor is pretty neat. 🙂

The eggs which share descriptions mostly exist in different biomes, making that annoying frustration.

If you really must preserve the egg alt lottery, I guess they could be done in grey or something if they're a ridgewing/dorsal (is that all? I think so).

51 minutes ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

I'm absolutely with the Bard. And I speak as one working on PB red dorsal and tan ridgie lines. It adds a bit of interest. It also means that sometimes people who cannot find rares can use the alts as trade fodder. Not everything has to be easily cut and dried.

Well, dorsals and ridgewings would both show as the purple alt in the biomes, since that's the more common variety. (Just like in the market - and sometimes, an oops happens you get the rarer alt!)

I am indifferent, really. I can see the pros and cons of seeing the sprites, so it's hard for me to decide if I support or not.

I swear there was another thread for this, I remember looking for it because I thought about this before.

Anyway!

While browsing that particular thread, I did like the idea someone suggested: having to put effort into unlocking your encyclopedia in order to get the egg sprites to appear. It does make sense from a lore/rp perspective that you can't immediately know what dragon each egg belongs to, but after gaining experience as a "hunter of dragon eggs" you can identify the eggs just by seeing them.

Yet I feel like it would definitely take something away from the game. Not sure how to expand on that, though. Just a feeling I have.

Edited by Tesla

I don't think having a thing in your encyclopedia makes sense as a requirement for seeing an egg.

2 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Yet I feel like it would definitely take something away from the game. Not sure how to expand on that, though. Just a feeling I have.

I have this too, I can't really explain it. I feel like part of DragonCave's "culture" is learning and memorizing and mixing up all those descriptions. And I don't mean that in a bitter, "I had to do effort!" way.

I do think this would actually make hunting easier, because you remove all doubt, the image is there. So for that I'd say no support (again, not in a bitter way, it's just one of the only parts of the game that's a little challenging, which I like)

I mean, you still have to know what the image actually is, though most people can probably tell "shiny image = rare dragon".

Just now, osmarks said:

I mean, you still have to know what the image actually is, though most people can probably tell "shiny image = rare dragon".

Of course, but it's easier to memorize images than vaguely similar descriptions, I think. I don't know all descriptions 100% and sometimes it takes me a tad longer to react because I have to think. With images, I'd absolutely not have this "problem".

The number of people who have picked up a Kingcrowne... (:blush:) or a lumina....

2 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

The number of people who have picked up a Kingcrowne... (:blush:) or a lumina....

Yowch I do this all the time!! But that adds a layer of fun to the game I think.

As others have said, it’s one of the only challenging parts of the game and I enjoy that

I think hunting eggs with only a description to choose is a double-edged sword. Yes, it adds a layer of... something to the game. But it also discriminates all people with less than stellar reading ability (like dyslexic people), people who grew up with a different alphabet or at least a different native language. Then there's the matter of same/similar descriptions.

23 minutes ago, osmarks said:

Like these?

Almerald eggAntarean eggAzure Glacewing eggCelestial eggGlory Drake eggDiamondwing eggFloret-Wyvern-egg-rotatorGilded Bloodscale eggGolden Wyvern eggHellfire Wyvern eggHoney Drake eggKhusa eggLacula eggLeodon eggLumina eggLunarH-egg-rotatorPyralspite-egg-rotatorSapphire eggSpeckle-Throated eggSunsong Amphiptere eggUndine eggWater Horse eggYellow-Crowned egg

This has actually been suggested in another thread here. Please continue this discussion there.

Please:

• Use the search feature before creating a new topic to make sure you are not recreating an already created topic.
  • Look for the correct section to place a topic in before creating your topic.
  • Read the pinned topics to make sure that any questions you have are not already answered.

If you do not understand why this topic has been closed in this manner, feel free to contact me.