Magellan

Idea - Bodyguard BSA (formerly "Change Bite BSA")

Do you guys think this might work? That way, the mechanic for BSA bite doesn't change and scaredy cats like myself would think about using earthquake again:

On 9/20/2018 at 12:37 AM, Magellan said:

Edit: Hmm what if there would be a dragon breed in the future, that could have a BSA like calming dragons down so they won't get repulsed by Vampires? Not a certainty, so that new BSA can still fail (example: You managed to convince your dragon to protect XY's offspring / You failed to convince...), but has a chance of letting you keep an egg or shielding young ones from Earthquake... *head scratch* Like this, everyone still has the usual effect and nothing changes, while some users can keep their offspring once in a while. Maybe even the Guardian Dragons could be used for this? that new BSA could be named "Bodyguard", where the dragon would use its tail to protect the egg or hatchie.

In short, Bodyguard would protect your eggs and hatchies from harm, whereever that might come from. Be it dying from Earthquake or being thrown out / repulsed when bitten. It has a chance to succeed and a chance to fail. I'd rather describe it as an additional safety measure for those who want to take it.

No need to read after this line. it is just the original opening post before I came up with a new suggestion, that would benefit everyone who would like to use it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What happened before my idea and why I came up with it:
I recently returned to DC and decided after a long time to try for another Vampire. What can I say, I simply like the sprite^^

While I do think the long cooldown is reasonable and the risk of having a dead egg is too, I totally detest the new "auto-abandon" feature. So someone else who did take zero risks, having no CD on their dragon can profit from my usage of the BSA. I sure as heck am not using bite anymore if that is not changed.

I don't mind gifting stuff, making peeps happy, but I'd like to do it on my own accord.

The repulsive reaction of my dragons and the toss out isn't really the issue either (it is rather logical if I think about it), but abandon the egg/hatchling into the wilderness at least, instead of sending it to the AP.
That's the only change I'd like to see.

Edited by Magellan

No support on this. Yes, I realise that biting with a vampire has its risks and the Cooldown is a month long (they have one chance per month before their venom regeneratess) but if eggs were repulsed to the wilderness, there would be a lot of vampire eggs popping up (and we have too many people willing to bite). I have one Vampire called "Living Here in Jersey" and one of the eggs that got repulsed was named "Me Too and Jersey Sucks" XD

I prefer the system we have now with vampires and wouldn't want them any other way. Another thing with repulses is that if a dragon sees a weird egg sitting there that wasn't there before, I like to think that dragons are telling "MYSTERIOUS EGG! GET OUT! GET OUT!"

2 minutes ago, Dalek Raptor said:

Another thing with repulses is that if a dragon sees a weird egg sitting there that wasn't there before, I like to think that dragons are telling "MYSTERIOUS EGG! GET OUT! GET OUT!" 

Please note, that -like stated above-  I don't have anything against the repulsion in general. :)

You're just as able to take advantage of this feature as anyone else. You might find a vampire egg in the AP that someone else repulsed, with "no effort" as you say. Besides, for new players who have no vampires of their own and nothing valuable to trade, this is the best way for them to have a chance at getting a vampire. Give the kids a chance.

I'm very much against this suggestion.

I wouldn't be touching my Vamps if most of the time, the eggs would end up in the wilderness. The odds of turning are not very high anyway, let alone turning AND keeping. Not that I use my Vamps anyway (not a fan of them mostly killing everything they bite). If most of the time they repulsed right into the untouchable wilderness, I'd be angrier than if they ended up in the AP. At least with the AP, you might be able to get it back or have someone look for it for you. With the wilderness, nope, you're out of luck, it's gone forever, bye bye. Better luck next month.

I don't mind that they end up in the AP. I got my first Vamp from the AP. I doubt I would've ever gotten one without exploiting my prize otherwise. And at least they still stay within the system then. You have a chance of finding it again. Have fun doing that with the wilderness.

28 minutes ago, Magellan said:

While I do think the long cooldown is reasonable and the risk of having a dead egg is too, I totally detest the new "auto-abandon" feature. So someone else who did take zero risks, having no CD on their dragon can profit from my usage of the BSA. I sure as heck am not using bite anymore if that is not changed.

Next thing you want to change is multi-clutches then, because it allows others to gain something without spending anything?

No support for this.

1 minute ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Next thing you want to change is multi-clutches then, because it allows others to gain something without spending anything?

No support for this.

Uhm, what are multi-clutches? I don't know that term.

Multiclutch is what Celestials and holiday dragons can do. They can lay more than one egg, but you only get to keep one egg from the clutch, if any is laid at all. The rest are auto-abandoned to the AP.

Multi-clutches are what Celestials (and Holiday dragons in their respective seasons do): when you breed them, they give 1 to 4 eggs, but you only get to choose 1 egg. The rest are auto-abandoned.

Edit: Ninja'd 

Edited by Aalbiel

@animatedrose @AalbielThank you for explaining :)

Why should I ever want to change multi-clutches? I think those are the most awesome side-effects of the festive days!

I keep whichever egg I desire for lineage projects and additionally gift some pretties. Heck, nothing keeps me from gifting the egg I kept afterwards either. I managed to grab a Holly and I do plan on breeding it along with all my dragons, so everyone get's a chance. I don't understand why some here get so judgy.

Even if I could in theory also "profit" from the auto-abandon to the AP, I wouldn't. That is simply not my thing and I would try to reach out to the owner, asking if I can keep the vamp, since the original owner risked a dead dragon for it. There is a huge section for gifting eggs voluntarily, not forced, so no newbie or kid will be left out. Like I said, I don't mind gifting / "giving kids a chance" o_O

I don't expect anyone else to see things the same way I do, share my opinion or to act like I would, but I wouldn't start to question members intentions either.
Be against my suggestion, not me :) It is interesting having different viewpoints explained and I appreciate it.

Edited by Magellan

I usually bite in hopes of a repulsion, when I accidentally lock myself with a cb I don’t want XD it can be useful in that regard, it’s worked a few times

3 hours ago, Magellan said:

I don't mind gifting stuff, making peeps happy, but I'd like to do it on my own accord.

The repulsive reaction of my dragons and the toss out isn't really the issue either (it is rather logical if I think about it), but abandon the egg/hatchling into the wilderness at least, instead of sending it to the AP.
That's the only change I'd like to see.

The thing is, without this repulsing, vampires would probably still be confined to a rather low number of people, leaving most of the players in the dust. It's because of the repulse thing that they spread in the first place, making them available even to players who aren't "rich" or well-connected. Average players like you and me. How did you get your first vampire? I got my first from the AP, and it took me almost two months after the release of "Bite" to get one. Apparently, my vampire egg was the first (or second) egg bitten by its sire - and, through some twist of fate, I caught it. Since I was still very new to DC and had nothing worth trading for a hot commodity (as vampires used to be), I had to rely on that mechanism to get one. 

Changing this mechanic which made vampires as wide-spread as they are now, when everyone pretty currently playing for a while and trying has the ability to make more vampires would be mostly detrimental for newer players. Personally, I don't think we should disadvantage them in such a blatant way, especially given that repulsing is what made us get them, too. (Yes, *you* may have been traded or gifted your first vampire. But the person giving you your first egg probably wouldn't have been able to Bite if repulsion was not a thing.)

Edited by olympe

10 minutes ago, Magellan said:

Even if I could in theory also "profit" from the auto-abandon to the AP, I wouldn't. That is simply not my thing and I would try to reach out to the owner, asking if I can keep the vamp, since the original owner risked a dead dragon for it.

If the egg goes to the wilderness instead of the AP, you couldn't even do this. The original owner would have no chance to get it back, instead of having the small chance that someone with your mindset would find the egg and try to return it.

Besides that, some people enjoy abandoning things to the AP on purpose and auto-abandoned vampires save them a step when doing this. I don't bite eggs often but I would be very sad if an egg I wanted to send to the AP instead vanished forever into the wilderness where no one could enjoy it.

Even if it isn't what you intended, your suggestion comes off rather mean spirited, in a "if I can't have it no one can" kind of way. Also, many members who play don't use the forums and can't take advantage of the giveaway threads, and the trading hub isn't great for gifting, so the AP is really their only chance of getting a vampire.

My opinion is so the opposite. Occasionally I pick up the wrong egg from a biome and instead of wait the 5 hours to abandon it I can try biting and occasionally it gets auto-abandoned for me :D Really helpful lol, I like it a lot.

So yeah I really like the BSA what can I say? I don’t support the feature being removed

I think I understood what @Magellan was saying. I know people took it harshly, but I don't believe it to be purposely mean-spirited but it definitely came off that way to a few.

I understand where you're coming from, though, @Magellan. I haven't even had a vampire until recently because I felt I'd never use them, due to the high risks when using their BSA. The risks can be fun for others, and they look at it as part of the game, which is 100% okay obviously. However, auto-abandoning something you really wanted to keep can still leave one in a rotten mood. In general, "accidentally" abandoning an egg that I wanted to keep is always a tough thing to face, such as when I press the wrong action OR breed something when I am full and forgot. The chances of it being returned to me are very small, so I usually don't bother.

Although I do understand these things and sympathize, I don't think it's worth being changed because of it being so ingrained into people's gameplay. I agree with some of the other replies, they make good points. We especially don't want it to be dropped into the wilderness, even though it sucks that it's still there and in the back of your mind, just look at it as a way that you did give a gift. It's one of those "Well, at least some good came out of it." scenarios. Most likely, someone is going to pick up a vampire egg because they know it's a vampire egg, so you've made them happy.

Maybe if you start thinking in that mindset it won't be as annoying or frustrating, and never give up with biting things if that's what you wanna do. When something GOOD happens, it'll hit you like a brick and you'll be even happier than getting something on the first try, trust me.

I'm curious how long you've been away? Auto-repulse is definitely not a 'new' thing. While I don't have the best memory, so I couldn't say for sure when it started, it's been around for *years*. Literally years. For as long as I can remember, honestly. 

As others have mentioned, many people *like* the auto-abandon option. I used a vamp's bite for that very reason recently, I accidentally grabbed a wrong egg in the biomes and bit it in hopes of it being automatically abandoned (it died instead). A *lot* of people benefit from the auto-abandons, both the people doing the biting and the people hunting in the AP. Bite wouldn't be anywhere near as fun or useful if they just got tossed off to the untouchable wilderness. 

That's true. By my notes, the first egg I had repulsed was this: https://dragcave.net/view/Rj8C which was only a few months after Bite was introduced, and still before the "bitten by" started being recorded. So I think it's safe to say that it has always been part of the BSA.

Edited by Ruby Eyes
typo

I like the fact that it can possibly kick the egg bitten (if successful) out. I can't remember how many times I misclicked a dragon, and not wanting to wait 5 hours have a vampire bite it. Shouts of cheer emit when it does get kicked back to the AP. Someone will love the little egg too ❤️

40 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I'm curious how long you've been away? Auto-repulse is definitely not a 'new' thing. While I don't have the best memory, so I couldn't say for sure when it started, it's been around for *years*. Literally years. For as long as I can remember, honestly. 

Actually, Repulses have been happening since Biting has been possible - so Halloween 2009 is when it all started.

I'm no native, so I sometimes struggle between being precise in what I want to express and how it apparently comes across. I mean no harm, that much is correct.

@Tesla yeah, well, I don't have any other option but to see it that way. I hope it will be taken care of. That toss out just really took me by surprise and I thought of it as unfair, losing my offspring like that, that's all. Thank you for re-explaining my situation, you understood me quite well and you seem better with phrasing yourself than I am :)

@HeatherMarieUuuuhm, I've been away or pretty much inactive (adopting the occasional egg wouldn't count as active, I guess^^) for years, since I had some private time consuming stuff going on, but I never lost my love for dragons. My last Vampire bite usage was still back in 2010 (at least the recorded one) and I never experienced the toss out thingie. I have used the bite more often than once though, that much I still know. Must be pre 2010 then, right?

Edit: Reading the last two replies I just seem to have been lucky then, previously. o_o

Edited by Magellan

It always surprises me a bit the number of people who try to use this as a way to get rid of CB eggs before the 5 hour cooldown. I find it is much more likely (in my own experience) that the egg will be killed, resulting in a 24 hour block of that slot! I don't use bite often due to the fact that my Vamps seem to be killers, but I can only recall one repulse ever and many more dead eggs. I can afford to be patient for 5 hours rather than tying myself up for 24. I guess if you only have one or two hours a day to spend on DC it makes sense. Otherwise? Not to me.

25 minutes ago, pegasi1978 said:

As far as I can remember, the possibility of an egg being repulsed has always been there since bite was introduced. 

This is what I thought , too.

At the very least it isn't NEW and has been there since I have owned any vampires on my scroll.

18 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

It always surprises me a bit the number of people who try to use this as a way to get rid of CB eggs before the 5 hour cooldown. I find it is much more likely (in my own experience) that the egg will be killed, resulting in a 24 hour block of that slot! I don't use bite often due to the fact that my Vamps seem to be killers, but I can only recall one repulse ever and many more dead eggs. I can afford to be patient for 5 hours rather than tying myself up for 24. I guess if you only have one or two hours a day to spend on DC it makes sense. Otherwise? Not to me.

Well, I only do it when I know I won't be up in five more hours, and since I usually don't go online before the evening (in my time zone) save for weekends, a 5-hour wait is as good as a 24-hour wait. So, the chance to get rid of an unwanted CB egg right this instant is an improvement worth the risk. ;) 

8 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

It always surprises me a bit the number of people who try to use this as a way to get rid of CB eggs before the 5 hour cooldown. I find it is much more likely (in my own experience) that the egg will be killed, resulting in a 24 hour block of that slot!

Just for completion's sake: For some of us, a five hour cooldown is (nearly) a 24-hour cooldown. XD I get home at 20h and go to bed at 24h. Anything I catch in that time, I'm going to be able to abandon after 20h the next day. So Bite is worth it - a chance of getting rid of the misclick before then, at no loss (well a loss of a few minutes, but that's not much of a difference).

Worth noting - there's at least one vampire lineage project (The Count Project) where repulsing is part of the fun. If the rival faction picks up your repulsed egg, it 'converts' to the rival faction. Although being able to play with that is only a small benefit... but admittedly very fun. :D

That said, I'd be fine with this - both the variant "abandoned to the wilderness" (though I'm not a fan of the idea, since I would, overall, prefer it go to someone who might cherish it - but I'd be OK with it!) and the variant "repulsing is removed".

If the repulse possibility were to be scrapped from Bite, I'd hope we'd get a BSA on some other dragon that gives a chance of "abandon the egg before the cooldown ends, or kill the egg" - although I could honestly probably live without it, it's just nice that my schedule has some chance of getting salvaged. >_> (I'd much rather the cooldown were shortened, mind you, and then that whole line of thought becomes moot.)

(And yes, 'repulse' has been around since Bite was introduced. ^_^)

So, summary: I don't exactly want this suggestion, but I'd be able to live with it.