HeatherMarie

Trading Hub- Separate 'Have' box, more characters in 'Want' box

I've put "offers" when I want to see what others think I have is worth.  And just because you think an offer is "insanely good" doesn't mean the other person does.  I don't really care for prizes or most metallics but there are a number of commons that are pretty instant accept. 

When I see offers or blank wants and I really want that thing, I give the best counter offer I have, either it's accepted or it isn't.  Even when someone has a specific want listed and you have that thing, you don't always get it, what's the difference?

No to mandatory wants.  Yes to separate have boxes and search function.

3 hours ago, Amazon_warrior said:

At least if someone writes "Offers", that's an indication that they're actually interested in trading, not just.... showing off a random egg they have.  I sometimes put that I'd like offers if I have something and I'm not sure what value others might place on it - and I accept that it can be a bit of a crap-shoot for the people offering, 'cos I've been on the other side too.  And if people choose to muck about and put really dumb stuff because it's mandatory, 1) that probably takes at least as much effort as posting actual wants and 2) it can be reported.

And if you actually want to trade something, is a mandatory field really your problem?

I'm just saying that I don't think it matters much whether you have that field filled in or not. Unless a person is asking for something very specific, or several options, there is really no difference between "offers" and a blank field. Both leave you with no idea what the other person might accept. You just have to offer your best and hope.

I really don't think there are a lot of people posting an egg that they have no intention of trading, just to show off. If you have proof that that is what they are doing, then let a mod know. If it is something you really want, just offer on it and see if they accept. But if they don't it doesn't mean they didn't want to trade it -- it could just mean that what you think is a good offer doesn't appeal to them.

Edited by purplehaze

20 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

I'm just saying that I don't think it matters much whether you have that field filled in or not. Unless a person is asking for something very specific, or several options, there is really no difference between "offers" and a blank field. Both leave you with no idea what the other person might accept. You just have to offer your best and hope.

I really don't think there are a lot of people posting an egg that they have no intention of trading, just to show off. If you have proof that that is what they are doing, then let a mod know. If it is something you really want, just offer on it and see if they accept. But if they don't it doesn't mean they didn't want to trade it -- it could just mean that what you think is a good offer doesn't appeal to them.

Yes. I have put up 2 gen PB metals and 3 gen shimmers from "rare" lines, with no idea of what I wanted - and have traded them - often - for nottalot. I do it to get new ideas. 

On 12/4/2018 at 2:47 PM, Cinspawn said:

I'd rather have the separate "Wants" box instead of a "Notes" box (and their respective search functions). Wants is clear. You put in what you want. Notes is less clear, because it covers a lot more topics - and thus stunts the search function again, giving us effectively the same problem we have now.

(For example: if you're gonna put "I don't want caveborns" in Notes, I'm gonna find that trade when I search for "caveborn" with the intention of trading away my caveborn egg, yet it's not relevant to what I'm looking for.)

I agree that having a Notes box in addition to Haves and Wants would be unnecessary and potentially annoying. However, where I would love to have a Notes box would be when I am making an offer on a trade. There is no way to say anything about what you are offering on another person's trade, and I might like to tell them something like, "This egg precogged female" or "I warded this egg against sickness just before putting it up for trade" or things like that.

1 minute ago, UnicornMaiden said:

I agree that having a Notes box in addition to Haves and Wants would be unnecessary and potentially annoying. However, where I would love to have a Notes box would be when I am making an offer on a trade. There is no way to say anything about what you are offering on another person's trade, and I might like to tell them something like, "This egg precogged female" or "I warded this egg against sickness just before putting it up for trade" or things like that.

While I'd love that too, the chance of that happening is probably close to zero as TJ does not want us communicating with others on the site. 

Perhaps a list of drop down premade messages would work, though? And not just for offering, but also for offers you get (cause I'd love to point out to people they're egglocked and I can not accept their offer, or that they offered too many eggs and I can only accept 1)

It's not "does not want" - it's "cannot permit" because of his day job. That's why there is simply no point even mentioning it.

But I'd have thought an offer box with maybe a limit of 20 characters wouldn't quite be "communication" -say  "warded, precogged m". Though of course there are players here (I am sorry to say) who would abuse it.

That could mostly be replaced with - as has been suggested often - some sort of publicly visible way to see BSAs used on an egg.

IF that were to happen, I'd want such things ONLY visible to other players when an egg is in trade. No-one gets to see how I BSAd my stuff when it's not up for trade.

And before anyone bothers - if you think I'm mad - to each their own. Mind you - that option needs an extra click. Putting it in an "offering" box would show up on the actual trade page.

I don't really see how being able to make notes on what you're offering would count as communication more than describing your Haves and Wants does. If I put up an egg for trade I have the Want/Have box to say anything I want about it, and the Notes would really just be a Have box for the person on the other side of the trade.

4 minutes ago, UnicornMaiden said:

I don't really see how being able to make notes on what you're offering would count as communication more than describing your Haves and Wants does. If I put up an egg for trade I have the Want/Have box to say anything I want about it, and the Notes would really just be a Have box for the person on the other side of the trade.

If you'd only put stuff like "this egg is precogged female" in it then yeah, then it would be just notes. But no one could stop you from putting something else there, especially since no one else other than the trader can see it.

On 12/8/2018 at 9:13 AM, Cinspawn said:

If you'd only put stuff like "this egg is precogged female" in it then yeah, then it would be just notes. But no one could stop you from putting something else there, especially since no one else other than the trader can see it.

Ah, I see. I guess the concern is that people might abuse the feature or send inappropriate messages. I suppose the only way to address that would be to be able to report messages to mods, but that probably wouldn't be very feasible.

We can already report stuff that shouldn't be in the existing box.

Bumping because we still need this! The way things are now the search feature is useless because I just keep finding "haves" instead of "wants"!

*BUMP*

The Trading Hub would be soooooo much easier to navigate if we had a separate 'Have' box. Seriously. I get so frustrated trying to use the want-box filter because I search for someone *wanting* a specific breed and what comes up is tons of trades saying they *have* that specific breed. Honestly that box filter is close to useless as things are now. A separate Have box would be so helpful.

Major support on this suggestion in terms of both boxes. The 'Wants' box simply isn't sufficient to cover what most people are looking for, especially if you're open to several types of offers. Not only does it prevent people from getting the most out of their trade, but a lot of people try to shorten their 'Wants' to the point where it's confusing. How is a new player going to know what a "3/4G SS S.Shim x Non-Hol. Mate" is? (Actually, that kind of thing can confuse players who have been around for a little while.)

Full support on this! Having to cram every detail about your trade into one small box is a nightmare.

9 hours ago, GalacticSketch said:

Major support on this suggestion in terms of both boxes. The 'Wants' box simply isn't sufficient to cover what most people are looking for, especially if you're open to several types of offers. Not only does it prevent people from getting the most out of their trade, but a lot of people try to shorten their 'Wants' to the point where it's confusing. How is a new player going to know what a "3/4G SS S.Shim x Non-Hol. Mate" is? (Actually, that kind of thing can confuse players who have been around for a little while.)

Full support on this! Having to cram every detail about your trade into one small box is a nightmare.

While I agree that more space is needed one way or another, and that a separate "have" box would improve things, I have to ask - 

How would any new player HAVE  a "3/4G SS S.Shim x Non-Hol. Mate" ? I don't see that as an issue; as a new player I'd see that as an "I'm pretty sure that's something I can't find" and by the time I might have it, I'd know what it was ! :lol: 

4 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

While I agree that more space is needed one way or another, and that a separate "have" box would improve things, I have to ask - 

How would any new player HAVE  a "3/4G SS S.Shim x Non-Hol. Mate" ? I don't see that as an issue; as a new player I'd see that as an "I'm pretty sure that's something I can't find" and by the time I might have it, I'd know what it was ! :lol: 

I've seen 2G Prizes gifted in the Community Notice Board, and with how common they're gradually becoming, someone who's only been around a couple of weeks might have one.

Regardless though, I don't especially enjoy having to lean in and squint as I try to read all of that (and more!) crammed into a tiny box. XD

I would love to be able to put something like "Can only accept 2 eggs" or something. As it is, I have to waste space on describing what I have since hardly anyone checks the lineages and just checks if it says "CB" (if it's not a prize). I also like certain commons and would love to be able to mention that without wasting all my space typing out the full name of a dragon (some people don't know what a "Candel" or a "Neb" is, newer players). 

*Major-mega-Bump!* 

It's been over 2 1/2 *years* since this thread was started. And this is still just as needed as ever. Searching the 'want' box is still a completely useless and frustrating endeavor thanks to so many people using it as a 'have' box too. The Want box is still extremely limited in space and it's often impossible to put any actual detail, especially if you try to cram 'have' in there as well. 

I'm not going to pretend to know anything at all about coding, but as a frequent-trader I feel like this is a rather small simple request and I don't understand why it's been ignored. Personally I'd love to know if there are any *downsides* to a dedicated 'have' box (and just a slight expansion in character-limit), from an admin/coding/etc point of view. Because I can't see any, which makes me confused why this is still a problem after so long.

Support for a separate box!  Or at least more characters.  Ideally both.

Yeah, sure, we still need to check that what somebody says they have is what they actually have, but it makes it easier to rule things out right away.

So having an official box for that, if somebody wants to highlight what they're putting up, would be much nicer.

I'd prefer separate boxes, so that the search function worked better. But as people would almost certainly then put everything in both boxes, it might not help 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I'd prefer separate boxes, so that the search function worked better. But as people would almost certainly then put everything in both boxes, it might not help 

...  I think you're giving far too little credit. Given that people are capable of posting haves and wants on separate lines, as we've seen in trade forums for ages, I'm sure at least a majority will use them properly.

Good luck with that. At this moment there are several trades saying "want" and then listing what they have as what they want.... Not to mention the ones that don't do the thing at all - there's one "What do I need to offer to get..." People ARE capable; yes, most people do it right - but a significant minority don't. So while it would be great if the want box actually filtered down to wants only, I'm willing to bet it won't.

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Some might, but surely not all. It would still be an improvement over what we have now, I think.