absofacto

Dorsal redesign?

So I know someone sprited the dorsal dragon and I don't want to make people upset about my comment/suggestion. (Also it's more of an opinion rather than anything solid!)

I find the dorsal dragon doesnt fit the site aesthetic (and it seems a bit jpg-y somehow? like theres artifacts in the coloring) and I was thinking a resprite would be nice! Like how the pink dragons were redesigned. Nothing way different just a stylistic change.

example(s):
(sprites taken off due to respriting rules but here are some hatchie sketches, the red circled is what I'll be going for hopefully!)
image.thumb.png.958a7ecdb3df801db89f272d8c1c4260.png

Addition: Shiro quit dc in 2015 so I cannot get permission, and I'm not sure what this means regarding this thread sorry;;

Addition to the addition: https://www.deviantart.com/shiroshitoro/art/The-Seasonal-Dragons-and-the-truth-behind-them-559275355 might be worth a good read she left because she was mega pissed about the seasonal recolors

PS: Oh and if you think "Oh cool! I go ask if i can get permission for Balloon/Dorsal/Seasonal (what ever!)" don't even try. I will not respond to any other permissions and delete them! This also includes the other sprites i have here in my Account. I know you love those sprites and i love you too for loving them but i just can't give permissions because they will just get more and more to keep track with and i just don't want that. So thank you for taking your time to read through what i had laying so heavily on my heart for so many years and i hope that this might help me to finally forget what happend back then. And i also hope that you Guys and Girls understand that i won't give any permissions and that i don't take any comissions when it comes to Art or Spriting. I might do comissions one day, otherwise they just gonna stay avaiable for my closest friends i found in the past years.

-Shiro

Edited by absofacto
shiro's words

As much as I love this, did you get the artists permission to redesign the hatchies? 

@Dalek Raptor the designer was shiro shitoro and they quit dc :[ 

PS - Quiting DC for ever, will not answer to anymore permission or questions relating to DragCave anymore!

Good Bye

-Shiro

Edited by absofacto

Well, you haven't done anything wrong, so you don't have to but personally I would.

I would say yes. Normally sprite updates are normally done in private as well (praying that the white hatchies get one soon XD)

Edited by Dalek Raptor

I’m SO happy the Reds were resprited, especially because now they’re actually in the running for one of my favourite sprites on the site! I fully agree that the Dorsals are in dire need of a re-sprite. I find the dragons so undesirable for that reason. I really really support this suggestion but unfortunately I’m not sure if suggesting it here will actually go anywhere. As others have mentioned, they’re usually done in private, but I’m really hoping they’ll get redone soon.

I am really supportive of Dorsals having a Re-Sprite since the moment I saw Lady Lyzar's Heartseekers. I was like Oh My Frills or "Frilled Wing type body types" are ... Beautiful, Amazing, Sexy, Incredible.... whatever amazing looks. It was an amazing thing. I remember the Xeno's and their Scutes getting all sorts of praise and other dragons, our artists have done so much amazing stuff with some of the newer dragons and re-sprites. Sometimes it takes me a little to adjust to a re-spriting, I almost always immediately love them, once in awhile, I never dislike them, my eyeballs just have to readjust! And .. I think Dorsals... who have some amazing color options would be in HUGE demand if we could make those Frills they raise and lower a little more... POP or whatever and detail, and maybe keep colors the same or adjust or shade them a bit... people would be collecting them like crazy.... I know I would.

Ok, No Wall of Text Today, but I am all about this, and this would really make them a larger demand dragon by a lot more people.

@Natayah Yeah thats what I was thinking too, the sprites I made have the red and purple colors, and I fixed the horns by making them more grayscale because they're purple on the original sprite and its kinda ">:?" on the red dorsal.

@RealWilliamShakespeare
The original dorsal sprite seems really, sad to me? the frills are too rounded and flat and I avoided grabbing a dorsal egg for a really long time. Also I agree I really love the Red sprites I have 7 Reds on my scroll right now and they're all named after different spices omg.

Another thing about dorsals: Their shading is really flat. No structure, hardly any difference between shades of the black body and so on, which makes them look two-dimensional at best. Also, hind leg anatomy is wonky, too. (Is that a hip jutting out halfway to the blob-shaped knee? and the foot seems to have an extra joint, too.) The front legs are not quite as bad from an anatomical point of view, but I don't understand why one leg is broad and rather stiff while the other is slim and noodly. Although, come to think of it, the "hands" look way too different. One is a hand with slim and long fingers, while the other is a paw. And let's not talk about the wing arms, which look like sticks sticked on the dragon's back... The head looks weird, too. (Anencephaly is a thing...).

So, yes, please! A re-sprite would be great. Awesome, even.

After thinking about it a bit, I think I'd also like to see re-spriting of Dorsals. I really like the dragon, but after how fantastic the re-spriting of the Red dragon worked out, I'm not too concerned the "feel" of the dragon would necessarily suffer, and it's definitely true that they're lacking in detail and have some problems. I'd be most concerned about the "texture" being changed (as e.g. with the seasonals, which no longer feel like the same dragons to me at all) - as long as they stay matte, I'm cool with this. :)

@pinkgothic @olympe

I agree with both of you the dorsal sprite is actually a mess lol. For me I think it really needs a new look because the red dorsals are rare, but they look awful so I personally never wanted to try to grab one /:

and yes the dragon's going to stay matte, however I did add some scale texturing in the most recent touch up, I wish I could have them on the thread so ya'll can see but I've been told resprites need to stay private ;u;

There are many older dragons sorely in need of a touch up, dorsals among them. 

16 minutes ago, Niyaka said:

There are many older dragons sorely in need of a touch up, dorsals among them. 

I agree with this so much. I know some people are attached to the old art, and it's not bad, but a handful of the current sprites just...don't fit with DC's aesthetic anymore. It's difficult to make lineages with them. The details are so hard to see. Greens, Geodes, Stones, etc.

Anyway, I would love to see the Dorsals resprited. 

9 hours ago, Dalek Raptor said:

I would say yes. Normally sprite updates are normally done in private as well (praying that the white hatchies get one soon XD)

Noooo, the white hatchling pose is one of my all time favorites! It needs a bit of work maybe, but I'd die if the pose was changed.

I would love to see dorsals updated. They're in my top 5 least favorite sprites, seeming super flat. 

Oh, we're naming top favorites for respriting now?

1. Dorsals. Hands down.
  2. Balloons. Their style is more in keeping with DC dinos than with DC dragons. 
  3. Pyrovar. (I know they're new...)
  4. Ultraviolets. The male's near wing, plus those far legs.
  5. Opals. The male sprites' near legs have been bugging me from the very beginning.

While I agree that Pebbles might profit from a re-spriting, I think the sprites are pretty decent, especially given their age. Same goes for Stones. (I like Geodes as they are, though.)

13 minutes ago, Nightwalkerkey said:

Noooo, the white hatchling pose is one of my all time favorites! It needs a bit of work maybe, but I'd die if the pose was changed.

I would love to see dorsals updated. They're in my top 5 least favorite sprites, seeming super flat. 

With sprite updates, the poses are kept pretty much the same, so I wouldn’t worry haha

19 minutes ago, absofacto said:

@olympe add albino dragons to the list tbh

It makes my neck hurt just to look at them. XD 

If there's a sudden respriting surge, I vote for spitfires and magi, and maybe deep sea.

Spitfires look really, uh, flat and boring, I guess?  You'd never know the shiny ultraviolets could come from them.

Magi look kind of like one of those carvings, where about half of it sticks out of the wall but there's no real depth because it's in the same plane as the wall.  Not bad, but they're really handy to have around and it's disappointing they don't look a bit cooler.

I've never been a big fan of deep sea, and I think that's primarily because of the kind of old art and the (again (I'm writing this after the part about the stone dragons)) eyeboggling busy-ness.

Also, I thoroughly second the stone dragon resprite suggestion.  Their hatchies are really cute, but the adults don't look like they really fit with the rest of the dragons - very flat and busy.  More shading and maybe a wing reposition, pretty please?

And I definitely see why you picked out the dorsals.  Really flat and kind of funky.

Edited by Pilauli
"Business", even if it's the correct form, looks very different from "busy-ness".

Eh, Dorsals aren't necessarily all that bad-looking, they're just kinda... uninteresting. But if we're voting for resprites, I have just one thing to say... Guardian dragons!

In my opinion these fellas are in a dire need for a sprite update. The sprite is horribly outdated compared to new sprites and really clunky and bland and oh gods I want to like them more but the sprites are just so old!