SkyWolf25

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Hello hello I have my copy of the game! So does my sister :D I went northern and she went southern hemisphere. Don't know what fruit she has though :v 

Anyways, here is my code SW-0698-6718-7866. My island has peaches.

So quick question, what's Animal Crossing like to play? is it anything like Stardew Valley? I've heard that Stardew is like Animal Crossing so wondered if the reverse is true.

Mostly asking because as of tomorrow I have 2 weeks off work and due to the lockdown I can't really do much but I'm kinda interested in this game as a way to kill some time.....just not sure if I should take the plunge and get it lol.

Posted (edited)

I've never played Stardew Valley, so I don't know the comparison. However, since Stardew Valley was first released in 2016 whereas the very first Animal Crossing was released in 2001, I don't believe a "reverse" comparison can even be applicable. 

Animal Crossing is a very play-at-your-pace type of game. It's also not truly meant to be "crunch all day, every day". So it's okay, and even typical, to play a small bit here or there, a larger bit on another day, and just about do as much or as little as you please.

You can skip a day or two, as well, and not worry about everything falling apart. But if you're gone for several months, you're likely to come back to some drastic changes.

Edited by ValidEmotions

1 hour ago, smokeytripod said:

So quick question, what's Animal Crossing like to play? is it anything like Stardew Valley? I've heard that Stardew is like Animal Crossing so wondered if the reverse is true.

Mostly asking because as of tomorrow I have 2 weeks off work and due to the lockdown I can't really do much but I'm kinda interested in this game as a way to kill some time.....just not sure if I should take the plunge and get it lol.

This reddit comment does a really great job of comparing the two. (It was written a little before the game came out but still seems very accurate.) I love Stardew Valley and I'm loving Animal Crossing, too. This is my first AC game.

Even though it progresses in real time, you could still spend the whole day fishing, bug catching, and gathering materials to craft things if you wanted. Or you can just catch up on the day's events and then stop for the day. I never feel like I've completely run out of things to do, even if I'm not moving events forward. After a few days you'll have more options of places to explore, too.

On 3/30/2020 at 5:12 PM, ValidEmotions said:

I've never played Stardew Valley, so I don't know the comparison. However, since Stardew Valley was first released in 2016 whereas the very first Animal Crossing was released in 2001, I don't believe a "reverse" comparison can even be applicable. 

I guess I could have worded it a smidge better lol, was just wondering what bits of Stardew AC also does so I can see how they could be compared lol

On 3/30/2020 at 5:12 PM, ValidEmotions said:

Animal Crossing is a very play-at-your-pace type of game. It's also not truly meant to be "crunch all day, every day". So it's okay, and even typical, to play a small bit here or there, a larger bit on another day, and just about do as much or as little as you please.

You can skip a day or two, as well, and not worry about everything falling apart. But if you're gone for several months, you're likely to come back to some drastic changes.

On 3/30/2020 at 7:09 PM, GhostMouse said:

This reddit comment does a really great job of comparing the two. (It was written a little before the game came out but still seems very accurate.) I love Stardew Valley and I'm loving Animal Crossing, too. This is my first AC game.

Even though it progresses in real time, you could still spend the whole day fishing, bug catching, and gathering materials to craft things if you wanted. Or you can just catch up on the day's events and then stop for the day. I never feel like I've completely run out of things to do, even if I'm not moving events forward. After a few days you'll have more options of places to explore, too.

After reading both your responses and that reddit thread I've ordered a copy, my local store has none and I don't like downloading games much tbh so it'll be a couple days till I get to have a play....will be my first AC game too so that's kinda exciting I guess lol.

So my copy of AC arrived today, I also finally bought a year of Nintendo Online so if people want to add me/ visit my island etc my code is ; SW-8440-9846-2407.

My island has peaches and cherry blossoms (dunno if this is an island specific thing or not) btw....I'm still waiting on my house to be built after finally paying off my tent so my island is kinda empty atm so don't laugh lol.

The peaches are island specific, but the cherry blossoms are on every island right now (in the Northern Hemisphere anyway).  Peaches are only fruit I don't have on my island right now, so I might see if I can jump to your island for a moment to pick some up. I can give all the others (apples which are native to mine, coconuts, oranges, pears and cherries) in exchange if you'd like.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Lightstorm12000 said:

The peaches are island specific, but the cherry blossoms are on every island right now (in the Northern Hemisphere anyway).  Peaches are only fruit I don't have on my island right now, so I might see if I can jump to your island for a moment to pick some up. I can give all the others (apples which are native to mine, coconuts, oranges, pears and cherries) in exchange if you'd like.

Ah I see I thought each island had both a native fruit and a native tree ....still new to AC after all lol.

I guess if you still need some peaches in a few days you can hop over and grab some, mine all seem to be gone(edit: ok I found 1 tree that has fruit now lol)....like I literally unlocked the vaulting pole an hour ago or so and went to the bits of my island I've not been to yet and my fruit trees had nothing on them... only fruit I took was the stuff on the initial bit of explorable island :/. 

Edited by smokeytripod

Posted (edited)

There's a slight difference between Fruit Trees and Hardwood Trees (the ones that currently look like Cherry Blossoms). Fruit Trees, when grown, will produce fruit every few days after being harvested. Hardwood Trees won't; they're mostly just there to be farmed for wood (using a Flimsy or Stone Axe) or chopped down for Stumps (using an Axe) and/or cleared out entirely (based on your desires). Currently, for Bunny Day event, the Hardwood/Cherry Blossom Trees have chances of growing Leaf Eggs.

Edited by ValidEmotions
Typo

19 hours ago, smokeytripod said:

Ah I see I thought each island had both a native fruit and a native tree ....still new to AC after all lol.

I guess if you still need some peaches in a few days you can hop over and grab some, mine all seem to be gone(edit: ok I found 1 tree that has fruit now lol)....like I literally unlocked the vaulting pole an hour ago or so and went to the bits of my island I've not been to yet and my fruit trees had nothing on them... only fruit I took was the stuff on the initial bit of explorable island :/. 

No worries.  I cleared all the apple trees on my island a few days ago and they haven't regrown their fruit just yet.  Thankfully, I do keep some in stock in case someone who doesn't have any comes by my island.

Posted (edited)

Some of my peaches have grown back if they are needed still.... Edit: removed Dodo code as my Switch died while I wasn't watching lol

Edited by smokeytripod

Sorry, I was at work when you posted, but I do still need peaches.  All the islands that I've gone to through the tickets have only given me apples, coconuts and bamboo shoots.

I'm tired of the easter event. I always get an egg when fishing or digging fossils, and the noise of balloon is annoying.

But I have Lucky on my island, he is so lovely and I can follow him all day ^^

On 4/8/2020 at 2:08 PM, Lightstorm12000 said:

Sorry, I was at work when you posted, but I do still need peaches.  All the islands that I've gone to through the tickets have only given me apples, coconuts and bamboo shoots.

that's alright lol, maybe 1 day I can give out some peaches ( I have like 30 saved up now), and I'm assuming I got lucky or something cause one of my mystery islands had oranges on it, I also got cherries as the Mum gift so i just need apples an pears still lol

19 hours ago, birdlay said:

I'm tired of the easter event. I always get an egg when fishing or digging fossils, and the noise of balloon is annoying.

Same, it made the task of building stuff for my 3 new villagers take way longer cause 2/3 of my tree hits gave me eggs when I just wanted wood or same thing when I want stone/iron >.<...I also have far to many Bunny day recipes and yet only 1 that uses Cherry Blossoms lol

New Horizons has everything I wanted from an Animal Crossing game tbh. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the whole crafting system/tool durability but it's not that much of a bother.

(Also, if anyone has the recipes for the cherry blossom floor i would be very grateful, I saved up like 100 petals lol... I have all the fruits)

Posted (edited)

If anyone has Turnips to sell mine are selling at 419 for another hour or so

Edit: prices went down to 157 so closed island.

Edited by smokeytripod

Posted (edited)

I finally got this a couple days ago. Man, I seriously missed this game! ❤️ The only other one I've played was the GameCube AC. I am absolutely blown away by the aquarium in the museum! It's amazing! I caught an oarfish a minute ago and, boy, that was a surprise! I've only ever caught smallish fish. I rather despise the rolling world view, though. At least I can tilt the camera up to get the view I'm used to. Just have to remember to do it every. time. I leave a building. cx

Anyway, I need cherries and pears, if anyone has any to spare. I have oranges(my native fruit), apples and peaches. Or I can try to find something else for them.

Edited by Raikielia

I have pears as my main, and cherries as my alt if anybody needs some of those.
I'm ready to play Tom Nook's debt simulator!

1 hour ago, Morphie said:

I'm ready to play Tom Nook's debt simulator!

To be fair, there's no deadline or interest, so Nook is a pretty great guy to be in debt to.

2 hours ago, Raikielia said:

To be fair, there's no deadline or interest, so Nook is a pretty great guy to be in debt to.

True. If I ever take out a loan, you better believe I'm yeeting myself into animal crossing and gettin some bells.

I just go the game about 4 days ago. I really love the island I got. It has a big island in the middle of some rivers shaped close to a leaf. At the beginning I also got Flo, who is amazing and Billy, which I'm surprised that I actually really like him. The only thing that didn't work in my favor was I had peaches on my island, which I've replaced with every other fruit tree. There are a few villager's I'm not too happy about after Nook sent me out to build houses. Peggy's fenced into her house so I can ignore her until she leaves.

So what happens to your villagers when you've been gone for some time...do they eventually move away?  Or does your island just become infested with weeds~

On 7/23/2020 at 9:59 PM, Alphaeon said:

So what happens to your villagers when you've been gone for some time...do they eventually move away?  Or does your island just become infested with weeds~

I'm still learning about the game mechanics myself, but I know that a villager has a chance of asking to leave. There's an algorithm that takes into account their friendship level, if it's within so many days after their birthday and if you've spent time with them recently. I'm not sure if it's based off of active gameplay or takes into account days you weren't on.

In ACNH, villagers can't move out without your confirmation. The only real consequences of not playing for a while are that you'll get a lot of weeds, each villager will mention that it's been a long time since they've seen you, and after 30 days, you'll unlock bedhead hair. If you want more information on mechanics for villagers moving out, check this Twitter thread by dataminer Ninji.

Thanks, guys. :) Good to know my villagers won't move on before the next time I play, I've really come to like the ones that have moved in thus far. 

That Twitter thread was very interesting too...I figured villagers you had high friendship with wouldn't ask to move out at all, but it doesn't seem that's correct.