MoonlightEevee

Black Truffles vs Golds as Rares

I still don't understand this and someone please clear this up. I still don't understand the descriptions between the Black Truffles vs the Golds on this. Black Truffles are supposed to be one of the rarest of breeds and -in my opinion- are supposed to be right there next to the golds as a rare but they're cheap commons and they are easily accessible in the market for 100 shards. Are they eventually going to be rare or are they're descriptions eventually going to change to reflect them? Or are the golds going to get a ratio change because if black truffles say they're rare and they're not, then why not he's as well?

(A side note, a lot of people say a gold earlier and no doubt that it was botted)

Just because it's in the description doesn't mean it's going to change cave ratios.  It's a flavor text. 

alternately, maybe they were really rare like Pandas or Tigers but breeders like us have changed that, like manatees (which are no longer considered endangered)

3 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

Just because it's in the description doesn't mean it's going to change cave ratios.  It's a flavor text. 

alternately, maybe they were really rare like Pandas or Tigers but breeders like us have changed that, like manatees (which are no longer considered endangered)

It's misleading tbh and why are golds and silvers still considered 'rare' then if us breeders are helping that population as well?

Edited by Dalek Raptor

Because we don't.

Just keep the flavour text separated from the game mechanics. Otherwise we would have trouble keeping more than one Bluebanded on a scroll, Vines couldn't be moved on the scroll because they burrow themselves in and if you have Falconiforms god help your poor Mints because they get eaten off.

If you NEED an explanation - Golds are like Pandas, Truffles are like Rhinos. Rhinos WOULD be fine on their own but we (humans hunt them for silly reasons), Pandas would have trouble anyway because lbh their breeding behaviour is FAR too picky ;)

Edited by Herk

Because they're NOT rare, obviously. That was probably just put in the description to make them seem more special and/or make players panic that they would be rare upon release. 🙂  The dragon descriptions don't usually have much to do with the game mechanics, at best they give you a clue about breeding idiosyncrasies.

I was trying to find where it said that dragons couldn't contradict themselves but I can't find it atm. Even if it is flavoured text, it needs to be fixed. 

41 minutes ago, Herk said:

Because we don't.

Just keep the flavour text separated from the game mechanics. Otherwise we would have trouble keeping more than one Bluebanded on a scroll, Vines couldn't be moved on the scroll because they burrow themselves in and if you have Falconiforms god help your poor Mints because they get eaten off.

If you NEED an explanation - Golds are like Pandas, Truffles are like Rhinos. Rhinos WOULD be fine on their own but we (humans hunt them for silly reasons), Pandas would have trouble anyway because lbh their breeding behaviour is FAR too picky ;)

BRILLIANT way of putting it.

And yes to tjekan too.

15 minutes ago, Dalek Raptor said:

I was trying to find where it said that dragons couldn't contradict themselves but I can't find it atm.

When you're writing your own description ;) It shouldn't contradict the breed description, which is on the same page once your text is visible.

https://dragcave.net/help/descriptions

Guess I'll just go back to another 8 years of never seeing a gold. The only real poaching I see is people using bots to nab CB Golds or unless they have an insane internet connection so they can see golds faster than I can. Because honestly, unless I sit there all day 24/7 I'm never going to see another CB Gold ever again in the cave *shrug*

57 minutes ago, Dalek Raptor said:

Guess I'll just go back to another 8 years of never seeing a gold. The only real poaching I see is people using bots to nab CB Golds or unless they have an insane internet connection so they can see golds faster than I can. Because honestly, unless I sit there all day 24/7 I'm never going to see another CB Gold ever again in the cave *shrug*

I caught zero of my Golds, or Silvers. None. In 10 years of playing here, I've never even seen either in the cave. I traded for all of mine. Every single one. And I don't have anything special on my scroll, no Prizes or HMs. I can't make a neglected to save my life. So while you and I may never see either in cave, they are definitely attainable for almost anyone.  It may be a bit of work to trade for one, but if you want one bad enough, you don't mind putting in the work/time.  

Also, with some patience and shard saving everyone can now get a Gold. No trading or hard work required. Just lots of time, and willpower. 

7 minutes ago, jocosa said:

I caught zero of my Golds, or Silvers. None. In 10 years of playing here, I've never even seen either in the cave. I traded for all of mine. Every single one. And I don't have anything special on my scroll, no Prizes or HMs. I can't make a neglected to save my life. So while you and I may never see either in cave, they are definitely attainable for almost anyone.  It may be a bit of work to trade for one, but if you want one bad enough, you don't mind putting in the work/time.  

Also, with some patience and shard saving everyone can now get a Gold. No trading or hard work required. Just lots of time, and willpower. 

That honestly defeats the whole purpose of obtaining a gold honestly. There's nothing more satisfying than actually catching the hd yourself but botting just sucks the joy out of that *shrugs*

I don't like Golds at all in any way, and have never caught or even seen one. I only want one to trade. 

Still...lately it seems to me that CB Gaia Xenos have become just as rare as silvers and golds. I have seen more CB silvers than I have CB Gaias, and I have been haunting the Jungle for months. Not. A. Single. Gaia. Seen. Two CB silvers seen! Someone else grabbed them, but they were there. Also a copper was there, I was too slow on that one too. Gaia Xenos are cheap in the market (relatively) but invisible in the cave. Or immediately snatched up by super fast clickers or bots (can DC even BE botted?) or something.

49 minutes ago, Dalek Raptor said:

That honestly defeats the whole purpose of obtaining a gold honestly. There's nothing more satisfying than actually catching the hd yourself but botting just sucks the joy out of that *shrugs*

How so? The whole purpose is to work and collect the dragons you like. Short of cheating, there is no wrong way to do that.  Some people work hard to grab in the biomes, others work hard to barter or obtain shards for them. Both are equally loved, once obtained. Seeing them on our scrolls, no matter how they got there is pretty darn satisfying.  We'll just have to agree to disagree on this topic, as we both have different attitudes towards it.   

5 hours ago, Dalek Raptor said:

I can assure you that the joy of being given a lovely gold is every bit as satisfying - it even includes the warm fuzzy bit that someone actually chose to give you a gift. (I haven't ever caught one either.)

I don't think there are that many bots around, actually. The worst two offenders I was aware of have burned scrolls now.

8 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I can assure you that the joy of being given a lovely gold is every bit as satisfying - it even includes the warm fuzzy bit that someone actually chose to give you a gift. (I haven't ever caught one either.)

This is true for me as well. The only two I have were very generous gifts from two different people and it made me feel really good that someone thought enough of me to do that!

To be honest, I really think that the description should be changed. “One of the rarest breeds”? I certainly think not. My sister has five CBs, and they’ve only been in cave for a couple of months. Even the description being changed to something like “a somewhat rare breed” because they aren’t super common would make more sense. I personally think it’s annoying and completely untrue to the game. The Wiki may not be inherently canon, but it obviously has true information, and it states Black Truffles are uncommon. to me, keeping the flavour test separate from the game doesn’t make sense when the flavour text isn’t even correct. That’d be like how the Blacktips are stated as “shore-dwelling” but they weren’t found in the Coast.

Edited by RealWilliamShakespeare

Descriptions have nothing to do with Real Life. I'd hate to see creators limited by our expecting to take them word for word.

And while the wiki is excellent for basic info, as just one example it hasn't the September release up yet.

26 minutes ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

it obviously has true information

It has the information that users enter. That doesn't mean it's all true.

Personally, I'd rather like the phrase "one of the rarest breeds" to be changed to "a rare sight" (that's just my own preference though, I somehow dislike the word "breed" in the breed description) which would also explain why they aren't actually rare, only rarely seen - except for those who actively go hunting for eggs.

12 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Descriptions have nothing to do with Real Life. I'd hate to see creators limited by our expecting to take them word for word.

And while the wiki is excellent for basic info, as just one example it hasn't the September release up yet.

?? There hasn’t been a September release?

And I understand that creative freedom shouldn’t be limited, but it just doesn’t make sense to me for a relatively common breedto be described as one of the rarest.

4 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

It has the information that users enter. That doesn't mean it's all true.

Personally, I'd rather like the phrase "one of the rarest breeds" to be changed to "a rare sight" (that's just my own preference though, I somehow dislike the word "breed" in the breed description) which would also explain why they aren't actually rare, only rarely seen - except for those who actively go hunting for eggs.

And yes, I agree, it’s not necessarily all true but there has to be some truth behind it. We can all agree that Black Truffles aren’t exceedingly rare, and idk just to me it shouldn’t be described as such.

I’m not asking for a major change here - I’m simply saying one phrase should probably be edited to avoid confusion and lack of truth. Reiterating my point, it’s like describing Xenowyrms as “a fairly common breed”

23 hours ago, Herk said:

This is my take on it... though as they Truffles are a new breed, PERHAPS the ratios haven't really caught up yet?

They have only existed with us a month or two or so.

12 minutes ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

?? There hasn’t been a September release?

Sorry - I meant August, which isn't up there in the new release page as it usually would be. But I really can't see this as an Issue. Their creator wrote their description and is entitled to do so.

43 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Sorry - I meant August, which isn't up there in the new release page as it usually would be. But I really can't see this as an Issue. Their creator wrote their description and is entitled to do so.

It’s been taken down from “currently being released” and is now in “recently released” in the wiki :) 

I'm not at all sure it ever was in currently. I was watching; l I edit frequently.

But anyway - creators have the right to describe as they wish.

I have to really, really agree with not taking descriptions in a literal way. It's just flavor text. Really. People have issues with this one just because of the 'rare' claim, but what about all the other descriptions that are completely not true in practice? Nebulas are 'nocturnal creatures', so they shouldn't be seen in the day right? Melismors are 'rarely seen at the surface', so why are they so abundant in the biomes? Many breed's descriptions mention something about mating seasons or specific mating times, and yet they are breedable year-round. There is no reason to take every word in the description literally.