TacticianLyra

Sort Undead dragons as "Undead"

Basically what the title says. Probably just my OCD talking, but the fact of any undead dragons being sorted as what they used to be, and therefore being all over the place, is honestly a little frustrating. Even more so when I can't remember off the top of my head which exact dragons had been used to make the aforementioned zombie-dragons.

tl;dr having them sorted as Undead would make them easier to locate.

Edited by TacticianLyra
Changed some wording to reflect their on-site name

Actually, they are not called 'zombies' on-site. That's what most of us call them, but the actual name used on-site is Undead (see Encyclopedia and any zombie's view page). So I very much doubt they would ever actually be sorted as 'zombie'.

However, I very much agree with the basic point of this suggestion, I've never understood why a breed that has it's own name, own Encyclopedia entry, etc sorts with whatever breed it *used* to be. I don't have any Neglecteds so I'm not sure how they sort, but I know that Vampires all sort as Vampires, even though they did start out as a different breed just like Undeads do. So it definitely seems weird that Undeads, and *only* Undeads, sort by a breed name that doesn't even apply to them anymore.

Edited by HeatherMarie
typo

I kind of like that they sort as their original breed, although I acknowledge that they'd be easier to find if they sorted as Undead.

2 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

I don't have any Neglecteds so I'm not sure how they sort,

As a separate breed. Just tried. I'd support this too.

I would like them to be sorted as 'Undead' instead of 'Zombie' as that's what they're called in the Encyclopedia, but yes, support. The scattered undeads make the scroll look messy when I'm using the sort by breed option.

I actually like the fact that you can glean their origin via temp sort XD

But yeah, if at all, they'd need to sort as "Undead".

2 hours ago, SkyWolf25 said:

I would like them to be sorted as 'Undead' instead of 'Zombie' as that's what they're called in the Encyclopedia, but yes, support. The scattered undeads make the scroll look messy when I'm using the sort by breed option.

This is exactly how I feel about the issue

1 hour ago, Ruby Eyes said:

I actually like the fact that you can glean their origin via temp sort XD

But yeah, if at all, they'd need to sort as "Undead".

I’ve never had a Zombie so I’m unsure if you can already see what breed they previously were, but if they were to all sort as Undead, I’d support having the original breed somewhere on their page. Like

“Breed: Undead Dragon”

”Original Breed: Black Dragon”

or something like that :)

If this were to be implemented, I’d support the same being added for Neglecteds and Vampires too!

49 minutes ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

This is exactly how I feel about the issue

I’ve never had a Zombie so I’m unsure if you can already see what breed they previously were, but if they were to all sort as Undead, I’d support having the original breed somewhere on their page. Like

If this were to be implemented, I’d support the same being added for Neglecteds and Vampires too!

If you sort by breed they are with whatever they started life as. which is the only reason I know this one:https://dragcave.net/view/C4d7w  used to be a paper seeing as it still uses the western sprite. :( (still annoys me)  I personally like that they do so, but I suppose the compromise of showing the previous breed somewhere would work.

paperzombie.png

3 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

If you sort by breed they are with whatever they started life as. which is the only reason I know this one:https://dragcave.net/view/C4d7w  used to be a paper seeing as it still uses the western sprite. :( (still annoys me)  I personally like that they do so, but I suppose the compromise of showing the previous breed somewhere would work.

paperzombie.png

You can easly actually compromise on that by putting their past breed(or a codeword that will let you encode what it was wihtout using the breed's name, whichever sounds better to you) in the name or descritpion or keep track in a separate spreadsheet if you end up preffering it offsite,

4 hours ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

but if they were to all sort as Undead, I’d support having the original breed somewhere on their page. Like

Please NO.

I personally don't want my zombies to ever reveal what they previously were to anyone, they are Undeads now, period. Same for NDs or Vamps, I don't even want to ever find out what they were before myself and definitely don't want anyone else to have ANY way to find out unless I tell them in person. And as I said, one can always put the past breed into the name, descritpion or have a spreadsheet, no need to ruin things for those who don't want the past breeds revealed at all. Both sides have thier own reasons and currently both sides can have it their way, the last thing that would be okay is to make one of the sides to completely loose what they've had. They don't need to sort by past breed(there are several other ways to keep their past breed identifable) and they definitely shouldn't get a text you can't hide from others to view, forget yourself...

Although I don't use autosorting of any kind, I believe it makes more sense to sort them as Undeads rather than the breeds they no longer are and will NEVER be. There are several other ways to keep track of what they started as too, so no harm should be done (assumed those people who want to preserve the data don't let it all evaporate if this is ever changed - it should be announced so they can take notes before they use the by breed sort afterwards, well, or they should start taking their notes now just in case? I dont' think this change is unlikely to happen someday tbh), and the sorting filter would become more uniform within iteself whicih I consider a priority in general, or things get messy.

27 minutes ago, VixenDra said:

You can easly actually compromise on that by putting their past breed(or a codeword that will let you encode what it was wihtout using the breed's name, whichever sounds better to you) in the name or descritpion or keep track in a separate spreadsheet if you end up preffering it offsite,

That's exactly what I've done, when my zombie group started growing I realized I couldn't easily remember which ones came from what, so I added some sort of indication in each one's name.

As someone pointed ot they wouldn't sort as "Zombie" because that is only a pet name.

However I 1000% support them sorting as "Undead", for sure. (The showing original breed would be cool too, I guess).

11 hours ago, Guillotine said:

I kind of like that they sort as their original breed, although I acknowledge that they'd be easier to find if they sorted as Undead.

What would be grand is IF there were a way to have the option either way. ( I confess I am not SURE how that could work).

As some have pointed out, it really makes more sense to sort them as Undeads, as they can't go back to what they were before, and from what I was reading in the posts, here, some people don't want even the REMINDER of what they were. Giving us the option ( perhaps in our account settings?) would clear up the confusion for those that want it without unduly hindering anybody's play style.

Edited by JavaTigress

5 hours ago, VixenDra said:

Please NO.

I

Why should I have to go off site and make a spreadsheet to get information the site already gives me and ALWAYS has?  I have enough of those to keep track of thanks. 😕

It seems weird that they don't sort as undead.  The dragon page has a link to the encyclopedia entry for undead dragons, after all.

Ooh!  If they sorted as undead, they'd end up near the vampires, so concentrated undeadness!  That'd be cool.  (Yes, undeadness is totally a word.)

I am of two minds - but I fully agree and understand with the desire.

My understanding of zombies -  or undead dragons, are that they are still a member of their former breed - so, I'd also want that to reflect.

My suggestion, a partial solution, perhaps even a good solution -  so that they can both be sorted as undead or sorted as they are is to add another bubble on the sorting page somewhere to select how Undead dragons work. (You know how the eggs on top, adults first age or whatever it actually is)

Select undead dragon sorting behaviour:

1. Legacy: (Sorts them as an undead member of their original breed)
  2. Breed: (Sorts them as their own distinctive breed)

for Myself it doesn't matter how they are designated - I custom sort in a "loose colour arrangement -  so they zone around my greenish-grey things.", but, as I said, I would like to have their origins reflected (maybe even in their view page)

Edited by Starscream

We do already have legacy sort for those who happened to use it when the breeds got re-ordered by Encyclopedia name.

It would make sense to put this back to the list of available sorting options for *everyone* who wants to use it, and have it include the current Undead sorting behaviour, while the official Shiney New Sort would sort them like every other breed by Encyclopedia name.

Also, in the temp sort drop down.