tjekan

ANSWERED:Strange breeding fail

So I have a dark lumina, HWAss, that I'm trying to breed with a shadowwalker, AmcVf.

Except they do not show up on each other's breeding list. At all.

1) They're both available for breeding.

2) They're not listed as refusals.

3) Neither of them has ever bred before.

4) They both have the option of breeding with other dragons of the same breed as their intended mate. Just not that one.

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else?

Are you absolutely 100% sure that both are of different genders? I've accidentally tried to breed two females to each other before and was puzzled as to why I couldn't find them in the list of potential mates. 

They are both female. Sadly, same sex parents aren't really a thing in DC yet.

Just now, Ruby Eyes said:

They are both female. Sadly, same sex parents aren't really a thing in DC yet.

Ah, I was right, then. I've done that SO MANY times. Especially with female pinks and Rosebuds. They just...would look so amazing together. And I have a female gold tinsel that I really want to breed with Rosebuds...but she's female, and so are they. Let gay adoption be a thing! Or magical gay reproduction. XD

3 minutes ago, tjekan said:

*Blinks at it* Well, shoot. I feel like an idiot now. 😄  Thanks!

That's not idiotic. That's a mistake. And a wish! I dream of the day same-sex breeding will happen! If it ever does happen...

I just want a pink egg from a FEMALE pink and Rosebud so badly.

Just now, Suzumiya said:

That's not idiotic. That's a mistake. And a wish! I dream of the day same-sex breeding will happen! If it ever does happen...

I just want a pink egg from a FEMALE pink and Rosebud so badly.

Maybe we could have a rainbow dragon with a BSA to make female dragons produce eggs together. 🙂 The idea of male dragons laying eggs is just too far away from real-world biology for it to probably ever happen, but parthenogenesis exists in the real world, so maybe a dragon could use magic to make it happen! One never knows...

1 hour ago, Suzumiya said:

Ah, I was right, then. I've done that SO MANY times. Especially with female pinks and Rosebuds. They just...would look so amazing together. And I have a female gold tinsel that I really want to breed with Rosebuds...but she's female, and so are they. Let gay adoption be a thing! Or magical gay reproduction. XD

Sorry for going off topic, but would this affect every scroll or would we have an option to turn it off for an individual scroll? As much as I love supporting people about this, I do not want them on my dragons. It's already hard enough for me to scroll down and find mates. I don't want the list to be twice as long for me. (Also, the last thing I want to do is hurt people or make them mad)

Edit: Also, this is a simple game and I believe it'll defeat some of the purpose for the original game

Edited by Dalek Raptor

1 hour ago, tjekan said:

*Blinks at it* Well, shoot. I feel like an idiot now. 😄  Thanks!

I was going to suggest the same gender thing, too. Because, guess why? I'm speaking from experience.

What I'm trying to say is that you're in good company. 

2 hours ago, Dalek Raptor said:

Sorry for going off topic, but would this affect every scroll or would we have an option to turn it off for an individual scroll? As much as I love supporting people about this, I do not want them on my dragons. It's already hard enough for me to scroll down and find mates. I don't want the list to be twice as long for me. (Also, the last thing I want to do is hurt people or make them mad)

Edit: Also, this is a simple game and I believe it'll defeat some of the purpose for the original game

Hmm. That would be a huge problem. I didn't even think of this. We should be given an option to turn it on and off, or like someone above said, just make it a BSA and pick the two females you want. Or make a dragon that gives the female or male a temporary sex change. That way males could breed with males (without biology interfering, because MAGIC!). XD

27 minutes ago, Suzumiya said:

Hmm. That would be a huge problem. I didn't even think of this. We should be given an option to turn it on and off, or like someone above said, just make it a BSA and pick the two females you want. Or make a dragon that gives the female or male a temporary sex change. That way males could breed with males (without biology interfering, because MAGIC!). XD

And ruin the lineages of others. I am not happy with this idea as applied to existing breeds. If there is ever a single-sex dragon breed created that can breed with itself, that would be something else. (And then I suppose it would have to produce only the one sex of offspring... Parthenogenesis - asexual reproduction. Like the monitor lizard,)

Edited by Fuzzbucket

16 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

And ruin the lineages of others.

This 100%. Not only that, but how would the dragon tiles determine which breed would be on top of the lineage 

Either random, or make it depend on which dragon's breed action was used for the breeding. At least that's my guess.

If it ever happens. Which I doubt. (Not that I'm against this, I just have this faint memory of same-sex breeding for dragons being shot down before.)

Edited by olympe

Let's just assume same-sex relationships are a completely usual thing in the dragon world and those of our dragons who frequently refuse mates of our choice have a very good reason doing so ;)

I'm always in for represantation, but going down that road when it comes to breeding would mean taking down the whole site mechanics and building them back up from the ground. Nah, thanks. I got a whole bunch of queer dragons no one can convince me otherwise. 😛

Edited by Gluria

Here's my suggestion: the (dragon that gets a temporary gender-change) is accessed (from the lineage pages of [the offspring it had while transformed]) via a redirect page of some sort, like "dragcave.net/view/AmcVf#m".  The colors/parentheses are for clarity because I write really confusing sentences.

It would, naturally, give picky people another thing to avoid: "I want any clean, not-messy, natural, <5G Thuwed" or something like that  :D  Or "clean, natural, 3G checker with all parents from Alpine".

I don't (try to) breed my dragons enough to develop suspicions about what they do when I'm not looking.  Still, I wouldn't be too shocked (probably mostly just annoyed 'cuz they messed up my lineage plans).

Guys, there is a whole forum area for Suggestions, this here is Help XD

I'm going to go ahead and close this as the question has been answered. If you want to suggest new mechanics, feel free to continue the discussion in the Suggestions section. :)

Edited by SkyWolf25