Shadowdrake

ANSWERED:Encyclopedia Page For Defining Body Types

The current wyrm confusion indicates that there's a lot of people who don't necessarily know what dragon body types are. It doesn't seem to be defined anywhere on-site either. I suggest adding a page at the top of the encyclopedia with dragon body info and/or as a link in the Dragon (Type) info on every page, especially since it's now an actual fact you need to know for raffle entries.

Edit: and/or have lists/pages of the specific breeds we've unlocked under separate body types.

Eg.

Lindwyrm

Blusang

Red-finned Tidal

Script

Seawyrm Pygmy

Two-headed Lindwyrm

Sea Serpent

Baikala

Deepsea

Shallow Water

Water

Edited by Shadowdrake

I approve of this. Especially with the wiki not being reliable for that info (or any info, apparently? not sure anymore). It'd be nice to have that stuff officialized, especially since it's now a raffle requirement.

Edited by animatedrose

Would love this! I always wonder between the differences but I can't be bothered to actually count wings and legs and such to see what category a dragon may be in. A page like this would be very helpful to look back onto every once in a while! 

I would really really like this! Especially since there is such confusion/ambiguity over what body types actually mean and what dragons are what types. I specifically remember an argument awhile back over whether Red-Finned Tidals should actually be called Lindwyrms... I'd love some sort of official explanation of what exactly constitutes each type.

I think so far this wasn't necessary at all, but since the introduction of new raffle requirements it would indeed be a useful (and relatively easy to set up) feature.

Yes, please. Especially since several dragons have "wyrm" in their spelling and aren't included in this month's options at all (lindwyrms).

It would be nice to have equivalent pages for other non-obvious stuff which is going to be needed for ridiculous raffle requirements.

I would support this. ESPECIALLY in light of the fact that this now relates to the requirements for the raffle.

9 hours ago, Aalbiel said:

I think so far this wasn't necessary at all, but since the introduction of new raffle requirements it would indeed be a useful (and relatively easy to set up) feature.

This, and very much so. 

Not to mention that quite a few classifications from the wiki are questionable at best. Shallow Waters being sea serpents? Bloodscales, RAs and desert Zyumorphs being Eastern dragons? Red-finned Tidals being Lindwyrms? Dorsals being "Wingless"? (Okay, so their vestigial wings aren't even close to flight-worthy, but still. There's a set of wing arms, and some membrane...) Xenowyrms being a class of their own, separate from wyrms?

Edited by olympe

3 hours ago, Jazeki said:

Yes, please. Especially since several dragons have "wyrm" in their spelling and aren't included in this month's options at all (lindwyrms).

Lindwyrms and Wyrms have never been the same thing.   They just have similar names for some reason.  (They even make different zombies if you're into that)  A Wyrm is basically a snake: no limbs or wings.  Lindwryms are snake-like but have one set of forelimbs and may or may not have wings. 

Full support for a page listing types though.  Needing to click each entry to check is a pain and will only get worse as more dragons are added.

50 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

Lindwyrms and Wyrms have never been the same thing.   They just have similar names for some reason.  (They even make different zombies if you're into that)  A Wyrm is basically a snake: no limbs or wings.  Lindwryms are snake-like but have one set of forelimbs and may or may not have wings. 

Full support for a page listing types though.  Needing to click each entry to check is a pain and will only get worse as more dragons are added.

I know the difference, but "wyrm" is right there in the spelling. It was wurm before. As I said in the other raffle thread, by that logic, they could fall under the requirements. Regardless, there needs to be better clarifications because there's nothing to indicate any difference in size or body type or subspecies or anything. 

Edited by Jazeki

Pretty sure people asked for that spelling change.  Because it's the same word and it make more sense to use the same spelling in every instance. That does not automatically change one body type into another.

For someone who knows nothing about dragons or dragon body types outside of this game, I totally get how 'lindwyrm' and 'wyrm' could seem the same, especially when it comes to the raffle requirements. I mean, just looking at it, it says 'Raise (0/3) adult wyrms', the 'wyrms' is not capitalized like proper species names usually are in-game (see the Encyclopedia), so it's totally understandable that some might take that to mean *any* type with 'wyrm' in it's name. And especially given that the Red-Tailed Pygmy *Wyrms* did not originally count for these requirements (it seems they do now, according to people's posts?), there seems to be a lot of very understandable confusion. 

It would be great to have some general information on what the different types actually *are*, officially. I mean, I don't see anywhere on-site that it actually *says* that Lindwyrms are snake-like and have forelimbs, or anything like that...

@HeatherMarie is right. We have nothing in the game that indicates official body types outside of parentheticals in the encyclopedia and the separate breeding options for drakes, pygmies, and two-headeds. There's no reason to assume everyone knows what each dragon type is in this game or even assume that standard "dragon types" even apply. There's been plenty of argument over the years that drakes are just wingless dragons and on DC, they're a separate species entirely. If we're going to suddenly make it so users have to collect things according to body type, it had better be explained somewhere in the actual game.

I do support this because I actually rely on the Wiki for this kind of information since it is a bit of a hassle to click through more than 200 entries in the Encyclopedia. I usually know one breed per body type at least for Zombie making purposes but other than that I sometimes struggle to see which is which, especially with those that you could find arguments for two different body types in my opinion. Of course you can always check a certain breed for this information already in the Encyclopedia but I can't see why this shouldn't get its own entry when we already have entries for World, Magic and Elements.

On 9/3/2018 at 4:43 PM, olympe said:

Not to mention that quite a few classifications from the wiki are questionable at best. Shallow Waters being sea serpents? Bloodscales, RAs and desert Zyumorphs being Eastern dragons? Red-finned Tidals being Lindwyrms? Dorsals being "Wingless"? (Okay, so their vestigial wings aren't even close to flight-worthy, but still. There's a set of wing arms, and some membrane...) Xenowyrms being a class of their own, separate from wyrms?

Well, the Shallow Waters are listed in the Encyclopedia as Sea Serpents, too, probably because they are water-based? Dorsals are also listed in the Encyclopedia as Wingless and I subsequently have a wingless Zombie that used to be a Dorsal. Same goes for the Red-finned Tidal although I remember people campaigning for a switch there here on the forums.

I can see why both RAs and Bloodscales could be classified as Easterns. Both have the long and slender body and both have whiskers (at least the male of the Bloodscales). If a Silver is an Eastern then those two certainly could be, too?. Unless of course the official non-Wiki classification prevents Easterns from actually having wings unbeknownst to us (or maybe just to me).

As for the desert Zyumorphs: The other Zyus all represent one of the existing DC dragon body types with the exception of Wyrms and Sea Serpents. So if we assume the others are correctly assigned then we are left with Eastern for the Desert Zyus since they are obviously not Wyrms and a Sea Serpent in the desert wouldn't make much sense. *shrugging Emoji*

This just shows that without an official classification perceptions can be different. People might still disagree with the official line but at least you would have more of an idea what constitutes a certain body type and what doesn't.

"sea serpents"??? meaning sea wyrms (Thallassas) or leviathans(Deep Seas etc.)? (baikalas are leviathans but they don't look serpent to me at all - more like mososaurish and whaleish) - or both?
Edit: Well, I remember what is now called sea serpents was always reffered to as leviathan so far... when did that change? And why? baikalas really don't look serpentine to me...

I'd like to see the subtype header and a list of breeds underneath somewhere on the site(Encyclopeadia)... could be we have to unlock the given breed for it to appear on the list, but that would still be a something.

Edited by Meh

I think I suggested back then the idea to have a Filter option in the encyclopedia main page based on the informations which are available for all breeds whether there is extra unlockable information for that breed or not, base information like the body type, or location (biomes + unknonw/cave for the ones who aren't specified) or elemental affinity which can be handy when you want to breed avatars. It would work like the filters on the scroll (available for breeding, BSA, etc), one dropdown menu and you can select what parameter you would like to sort the breeds, like you click on the Jungle and the page refresh and only show the encyclopedia page of the dragons who are located in the jungle, and the same method with body types and element. While all of the breeds in the encyclopedia have these information when you unlock the breed it should not be a problem IMO to create a filter.

Yes, please. So far I'm kinda stuck with looking through all of the entries to find suitable breeds, or, which I actually did for our dragon bingos, assembling all that information in a searchable spreadsheet which of course doesn't get any updates if I don't notice changes in the Encyclopedia ...

@cefren_ Yes! That would be awesome. Searching existing fields like biomes, types or elements would be soooo great!

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Support! I could have sworn I commented here when this was first posted. The encyclopedia has a lot of potential but right now it's pretty limited. This would be a step in the right direction, and particularly useful considering the recent raffle requirements. @cefren_'s suggestion would be great, too.

I'm not typically the type to be confused by body types, but I can understand how the raffle requirements can be confusing and obtuse to people (see: lindwyrm vs wyrm discussion just above), so although I personally wouldn't use it, I'll still throw my support in.

6 hours ago, MiaLily said:

I can see why both RAs and Bloodscales could be classified as Easterns.

And Infinis said as far as she was concerned, the RAs ARE Easterns... the wiki says so too. So there are discrepancies....

31 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

And Infinis said as far as she was concerned, the RAs ARE Easterns... the wiki says so too. So there are discrepancies....

Yeah, this. I had a heck of a time deciding where to put RAs when making my body-type groups. Go with what the actual site says, or what the spriter says? 

And I can't help mentioning Red-Finned Tidals again, simply because I was in the middle of the argument awhile back about that. I would love some actual guidelines on-site about what constitutes each body type, because so many of these body types have different definitions depending on the book/game/etc the term is used in. Tidals are lindwyrms, even though lindwyrms are usually wingless, and they look like they have 'wings' (which I believe are actually fins?).