TheCobreCobra

Trading Hub and Market Hybrid

What about if people could "sell" their eggs/hatchlings on the market?

It's sometimes hard to have exactly what someone wants in a trade and personally I don't want to buy a rare from the market because it'll be listed as the market biome.

Only downside I can think of is that it would result in shards becoming an in-game currency and I'm not sure how TJ feels about that. (I'm ignoring the fact people can ask exorbitant prices because supply/demand is a thing)

Edit: I know realize this isn't a very good idea. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Edited by TheCobreCobra

Please no. In-game currencies between the userbase is something that's been brought up before and I'm still not interested. The entire concept of shards is to earn them through doing gameplay-stuff that you already normally do, and eventually be able to save up for something you are interested in buying that maybe you have trouble getting in-cave. It's not supposed to be a replacement for cave-hunting or a contest/challenge who can get more shards. Shards are capped at 100 per week for a reason, and I personally don't think anyone should be able to gain, say, 1,000 shards in a week simply by 'selling' their own dragons.

I'm with Heather. There are plenty of ways to trade; adult dragons will never be tradeable anyway. You can effectively "sell" your stuff by trading. And on forum you can make it known that you will accept IOUs.

if you are that desperate - become a neglecting expert. You can usually do pretty well with those.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I don't think that's a good idea. Right now, we have a system were each person can earn shards on their own, and spend it on their own. Which is fine. But if we can transfer currency between accouts, we run into a couple of problems:

• Inflation becomes a thing. Because the number of shards in-game will increase indefinitely if people prefer to transfer them to each other instead of sending them back into the void of DC.
  • The largest benefit would go to multi-scrollers - or so it seems.
  • There is quite likely to also negatively impact the trading system we already have.
  • It's also quite likely that gifting would be less of a thing, because shards and greed and all that.

Overall, I see more downsides than benefits, so I vote against this.

I'm against this idea too. Plenty of people have spoken up about not wanting in-game currency. The point of the Market was to help out casual players while the Trading Hub was to make trading more widespread outside of the forums. The cap being in place for shards ensures that the Market isn't overrun by "shard grinders" and with prices not locked, that could prevent less active players from obtaining what they want/need that the Market could provide them with because the "shard grinders" could jack the prices up.

You'd really only be able to sell eggs and hatchlings and you basically do that in the Hub anyway, just without currency. Introducing new currency or turning the current currency into something that you can potentially "grind" is something I'm not a fan of. Especially not if that "grind-able currency" effects the Market. We have enough potential worries there as is.

I understand the intent behind this idea, but I'm not for it; not for this game. Mainly for the reasons already stated. What I've read from others in this community is that they like the simplicity of the way things are set up, and adding an in-game currency would probably make it rather irritating for the majority of members. Adding the Market and Trading Hub seemed to be a huge effort as it was, y'know in order to optimize it specifically for the pace of the game. 

It just...it would just make everything boring in my honest opinion. I don't want to see people undercutting others on the Market and only using this game to grind shards and uuugh I just can't imagine it going over well on here, I'm sorry.

Sorry, but I also dislike this idea. I personally do not want to see anything lineaged listed in the Market. That's what the Trade Hub is for. I also don't want to see anything introduced that will make certain players "rich" and put others at a disadvantage, and allowing the personal sale of dragons for shards would do just that. Example: older players would be able to buy Golds from the Market much faster than new players, which wouldn't fly in a game like DC. Shards should be worked for, not paid for with dragons. And, to be honest, I really like that DC allows players to be independent. Allowing players to sell dragons would cut down on that, because we would all have to sell our own things to keep up with rising prices if we wish to buy things that we can't catch.

If you don't want to buy a Market rare, you can try to trade for normal cave born eggs. Many people will trade them for a handful of CB uncommon hatchlings. You just have to look around for good offers. I know it can be frustrating, but there are ways to get those eggs. I'm sure you will eventually.

6 hours ago, olympe said:

I don't think that's a good idea. Right now, we have a system were each person can earn shards on their own, and spend it on their own. Which is fine.

This is a very good point. Right now the whole shard system is completely solitary, nothing at all is going on between users. Each individual user earns their shards by simply playing the game, however it is that they want to play it, and no one's shards affects anyone else's shards. That's how most people wanted it, back when the 'Market' was just a very-detailed Suggestion thread... It's a very individualized thing, earning shards. Some people earn every single shard from breeding, some exclusively from picking up CBs in the biomes, etc etc, and no one is disadvantaged by not being able to 'grind' for shards or not having enough shards to compete with others.

55 minutes ago, The Dragoness said:

I also don't want to see anything introduced that will make certain players "rich" and put others at a disadvantage, and allowing the personal sale of dragons for shards would do just that.

This is also a good point. I've been vocal about *not* wanting huge gameplay advantages just because I'm one of those lucky (lucky?) people that has the time to sit around hunting for hours every day. If I could get a ton of extra shards by selling the eggs I catch, I would have an *extreme* advantage over a lot of players, especially if the amount of shards you'd get is anywhere near what those breeds actually cost in the Market... I currently have a Cheese, a Paper, a Chicken, and *two* Dinos growing on my scroll. How many thousands of extra shards would that earn me? No thanks, not interested in making the game that much more unbalanced.

9 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I'm with Heather. There are plenty of ways to trade; adult dragons will never be tradeable anyway. You can effectively "sell" your stuff by trading. And on forum you can make it known that you will accept IOUs.

if you are that desperate - become a neglecting expert. You can usually do pretty well with those.

I can definitely see why it would be a bad idea and I agree with what everyone said. And I think I'll try the neglecting approach. It definitely seems like a doable task.