TJ09

2018-08-26 - Site Terms Update and August Dragon Release

awesome, new eggs! i'm really liking those spiky hatchlings so far - not surprising after i saw it was a birdz release though, haha. excited to see what they grow into!

also - what's all this about viewbombers? it seems odd that someone would be doing that long-term (and not have been banned yet).

How do you ban a viewbomber  Even TJ can't necessarily see who they are. VPNs, for a start... And they may not even be players, so what's to ban them from ?

11 minutes ago, DarkDagger said:

awesome, new eggs! i'm really liking those spiky hatchlings so far - not surprising after i saw it was a birdz release though, haha. excited to see what they grow into!

also - what's all this about viewbombers? it seems odd that someone would be doing that long-term (and not have been banned yet).

I admit I am curious about them as well.

At said,I am ALWAYS curious to see what new hatchies will grow into. :D

14 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

How do you ban a viewbomber  Even TJ can't necessarily see who they are. VPNs, for a start... And they may not even be players, so what's to ban them from ?

i definitely don't claim to know much about how dragcave's coding and click sites work, but...

i'm assuming the viewbomber is using click sites, or at least a script to reload the page/s repeatedly? if it's something simple like a page refreshing script, it shouldn't be too hard to see which IP is causing all the traffic and blocking them from accessing the site. in the case of clicksites... i can't remember which, but one of them used to require a dragcave login to add eggs/hatchlings. i'm not sure why that isn't standard, since it seems that would prevent anyone but the scroll owner from entering their dragons!

though a VPN would complicate things... personally, i can't imagine that a person who's childish enough to viewbomb some pixel dragons on an adoptables site would also have the technical knowledge/foresight to use one!

Good god - even I know how to use a VPN. (I use one to watch TV when abroad, just for starters.) There are detailed instructions all over google, and you can download a rotating one very easily.

They used bots when they brought down a whole click site around Christmas. Some people just find this stuff amusing. And anyone can set up a fan site and not require a log in. Evina's does - but AFAIK it's the only one. You can't make something like that "standard" - fan sites are not something TJ controls. He can deny API access - but crafty vandals can get around that.

I can't see whiskers. You must have STUNNING eyesight, Jaz.

5 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

STUNNING eyesight, Jaz.

Now that I zoomed in on my phone, I think I imagined them. Oh well.

I love gray-colored dragons, so this release is already AMAZING :D Time to go load up on eggs. i'm always so late lmao

*pokes TJ's hatchlings* Omg 22 more hours?! The wait is torture! I'm really really curious to see how the spiky ones turn out, I'm very excited about the possibility of a new rough n' tough dragon like Fells and Plated Colossus. 

2 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

*pokes TJ's hatchlings* Omg 22 more hours?! The wait is torture! I'm really really curious to see how the spiky ones turn out, I'm very excited about the possibility of a new rough n' tough dragon like Fells and Plated Colossus. 

I wish they hatched at 4 days left. It would make the release feel less stagnant in the middle, it starts with the eggs hatching then the hatchies gendering and then...It slows to a halt for two days.

And HECK YEA, more rough and toughs! We have enough nice, fragile and serene mage dragons for the time being and not enough warrior dragons, lets get a whole bunch of good ole tough dragons, they can have magic and stuff to keep things interesting but we have a lot of squishy-mage dragons, so a few more dragons along the lines of Fells, Plateds, Desipis, Pyro/Astrapi Xenos for a release or two would be great

Also some sneaky/cunning dragons would be great, a few more along the lines of witchlights and laculas would be awesome, we're arguably even shorter on those!

The game has a lot of mages but could use a few more fighters and thieves.

58 minutes ago, blockEdragon said:

The game has a lot of mages but could use a few more fighters and thieves.

How about: Azure Glacewings, BLACKs (they even have "warrior" in their description), Brutes, Hellfire, Hooktalon, Red, Seragamma, Stone, Tatterdrake, Trios... And I'm sure that's not all in the tough/warrior department.

For stealthy/clever guys look at: Vine, Gilded Bloodscale, Olives, Mimic Pygmys, Lurkers...

And there are the Nexus, which are about as Mary Sue as the Desipis, so they should count as "high and mighty brutes" as well.

So, we may not have that many blunt rough'n'toughs, but we have a lot more fighters and even "thieves" than you seem to realize. ;)

I can't wait to see the new hatchies growing up ! This grey and marble release is very interesting. The little frosty guys are really cute, and their colours look very promising !! I had to laugh at the poor little intimidating ones when they gendered, because I look at their faces and see a big, hooky nose, something like "Gnihihihi, I am the Wicked Witch of the West !!" :lol: I won't tell them, though, and I'm sure they'll grow up to be very intimidating indeed.

10 minutes ago, Lantean_Pegasus said:

I had to laugh at the poor little intimidating ones when they gendered, because I look at their faces and see a big, hooky nose, something like "Gnihihihi, I am the Wicked Witch of the West !!" :lol: I won't tell them, though, and I'm sure they'll grow up to be very intimidating indeed.

*snorts!* Omg. That's too funny. Now I won't be able to look at them without thinking that. 

9 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

*snorts!* Omg. That's too funny. Now I won't be able to look at them without thinking that. 

same here :D

3 minutes ago, Lantean_Pegasus said:

How about: Azure Glacewings, BLACKs (they even have "warrior" in their description), Brutes, Hellfire, Hooktalon, Red, Seragamma, Stone, Tatterdrake, Trios... And I'm sure that's not all in the tough/warrior department.

For stealthy/clever guys look at: Vine, Gilded Bloodscale, Olives, Mimic Pygmys, Lurkers...

And there are the Nexus, which are about as Mary Sue as the Desipis, so they should count as "high and mighty brutes" as well.

So, we may not have that many blunt rough'n'toughs, but we have a lot more fighters and even "thieves" than you seem to realize. ;)

When I say fighters I mean blunt rough and toughs and the like, nexus probably qualify and R&Ts since they don't use intricate magics like scripts, celestial, aeons, ect, they just point and shoot their breath weapon.

And the older breeds that have been here a while are not really what i'm talking about, i'm talking more about the newer releases, Most newer dragons are either neutral or peaceful, we don't get as many fighters/R&Ts as we used to which kind of stinks for those of us who like the more classic dragon, we get a lot more than we used to during that one phase a while back (The shiny plague as I call it) but pleasant/neutral dragons still get more concepts and more releases.

Onto the "Mary Sue" bit

I disagree with labeling strong/unpleasant dragons as Mary sues for the crime of being able to beat up most of the other dragons on the site. Desipis are pretty overpowered but nexus aren't nearly as powerful as the dragon that can destroy your mind in an instant and siphon your magic away. They have fire breath, ice breath, and are able to bonk/claw/bite you pretty hard, Doesn't even scratch the despises in terms of power. They could do with a one or two neutral/positive traits so they have something beyond destruction but calling them "Mary Sue" for being good fighters and being super mean is a bit much.

I'm personally rather excited about the prospect of more non-flashy, 'simple'-colored breeds. Both the new hatchlings are fairly... I don't want to say 'dull' because that sounds negative and I totally don't mean it that way, but 'non-flashy' works well. Looking at a lot of the newer releases, the 'Hogwarts' release, Florets, Pyrovars, Siyats, we've had a lot of colorful/shiny/bold dragons lately. The plainest we've had lately is the Mimics and the Black Truffles, imo, but the Black Truffles are relatively shiny even if they aren't 'colorful'... Don't get me wrong, I love all of those, but I'm really hoping the adults with this release stay more of that gray, toned-down color. I totally love bold colors and 'wow!' dragons, but I also really love the more 'normal' everyday colors, like the Reds or Harvests or even the Black Teas.

10 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I'm personally rather excited about the prospect of more non-flashy, 'simple'-colored breeds. Both the new hatchlings are fairly... I don't want to say 'dull' because that sounds negative and I totally don't mean it that way, but 'non-flashy' works well. Looking at a lot of the newer releases, the 'Hogwarts' release, Florets, Pyrovars, Siyats, we've had a lot of colorful/shiny/bold dragons lately. The plainest we've had lately is the Mimics and the Black Truffles, imo, but the Black Truffles are relatively shiny even if they aren't 'colorful'... Don't get me wrong, I love all of those, but I'm really hoping the adults with this release stay more of that gray, toned-down color. I totally love bold colors and 'wow!' dragons, but I also really love the more 'normal' everyday colors, like the Reds or Harvests or even the Black Teas.

Yeah! I like the way these are looking :)

Looking forward to the adults myself. I don't doubt that they'll be awesome, and I can't wait!

I still don't understand what is meant by Pagination?

5 minutes ago, Husky51 said:

I still don't understand what is meant by Pagination?

The trade hub now shows multiple pages of trades.

trade hub?  I haven't done trading ? before???  I'll let it ride for now, figure it out later...  Thank you, anyway

16 minutes ago, Husky51 said:

trade hub?  I haven't done trading ? before???  I'll let it ride for now, figure it out later...  Thank you, anyway

The Trade Hub is where people can offer eggs and hatchlings for trade to other users and list what they want in exchange: https://dragcave.net/trading

7 hours 7 hours 7 hours!! When I wake up in the morning TJ will have adults! So excited! *crosses fingers they keep their gray coloring*