Cireth

ANSWERED:Can We Please Have Prizes Available in the Market

I think everyone should have a chance to get a CB Prize Dragon. This is a collectables site, the goal being to collect them all so having Dragons that people can't get is not fair. If Prizes were put in the market it would give people the chance to earn them through being active. I'm not sure what prices they should be exactly but I was thinking maybe 5,200 shards for Bronze, 5,500 for Silver and 5,800 for Gold.

Everybody does have the chance to get a Prize already through the raffle.

Personally I don’t mind the distribution of the Prizes at the moment - everybody does have a chance in the raffle, and they’re extremely rare and cool, so I myself wouldn’t be too fond of being able to “buy” them (but then I don’t like the market anyway lol) so I wouldn’t see much need for this.

Uhh... isn't monthly raffle kinda giving a chance to get CB Prize Dragons after raising just 3 dragons and clicking just one button...? And maybe after completing other entry requirements if such variety is added?

I'm not saying the Raffle should go away but that they should be available in the market too. The raffle is entirely random, most people will never get a prize through it however often they enter. Plus raising three dragons isn't exactly taxing. People can log on once a month to do that and get a Raffle Ticket. That isn't exactly fair to active players.

This way people have to be active and it's possible to get a Prize in your lifetime. Plus getting a Prize through active play seems a lot fairer to me than randomly through the Raffle. But if both things are a possibility then it's fair to all.

Edited by Cireth

11 minutes ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

Personally I don’t mind the distribution of the Prizes at the moment - everybody does have a chance in the raffle, and they’re extremely rare and cool, so I myself wouldn’t be too fond of being able to “buy” them (but then I don’t like the market anyway lol) so I wouldn’t see much need for this.

The availability of prizes isn't tied to activity or skill by that, and many would prefer a guaranteed prize after X months to just hoping every month with chances they don't even know.

Yes yes yes.

The market exists to combat the random nature of the cave. It should combat the randomness of the raffles as well.

23 minutes ago, Cireth said:

This is a collectables site, the goal being to collect them all so having Dragons that people can't get is not fair. 

This argument is so tired. You can get prizes any number of ways, quite easily for non-CB. You know what you probably really can't get? A 2G Prize from an inactive spriter's Spriter's Alt. (This is just one example out of many I could've come up with). Does this mean you should be able to buy it in market, purely on the basis of collecting? Of course not!

Edited by Aalbiel

2 minutes ago, Aalbiel said:

This argument is so tired. You can get prizes any number of ways, quite easily for non-CB. You know what you probably really can't get? A 2G Prize from an inactive spriter's Spriter's Alt. Does this mean you should be able to buy it in market, purely on the basis of collecting? Of course not!

Arguably we should at least aim to reduce the number of unobtainable things.

22 minutes ago, osmarks said:

Arguably we should at least aim to reduce the number of unobtainable things.

Yes.

I chose DC over many other more flashy adoptables games in large part because it didn’t have exclusive adoptables. That trend went sour for a while with Frills and Old Pinks and Holidays and the like, but it’s since made big strides back towards making things obtainable. Prizes are the biggest thing left to tackle.

While I wholeheartedly agree with the suggestion, I really don't like the argument of things being "not fair". Life isn't fair, the raffle, however, is. Whether we like it or not. That being said, I hate randomness in games with a passion (because I always seem to lose there). On a dice with numbers from 1 to 6 I need to get anything that's not a 1 in order to win. What do I get? Right. The 1. Like, 90% of the time. (This claim may seem wrong because random stuff is supposed to even out the more you use it - but it doesn't seem to work for me when it counts. Seriously. I'm just that "lucky".) Trying to win a lottery/raffle? LOL! I don't even play any kind of lottery in real life because I know it's not worth it.

1 hour ago, Cireth said:

I think everyone should have a chance to get a CB Prize Dragon. This is a collectables site, the goal being to collect them all so having Dragons that people can't get is not fair. If Prizes were put in the market it would give people the chance to earn them through being active. I'm not sure what prices they should be exactly but I was thinking maybe 5,200 shards for Bronze, 5,500 for Silver and 5,800 for Gold.

I woud liek tghem in the market - but for more like 7,500 (same price for all, I think. They are equally distributed in the raffle, IIRC.)

1 hour ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

Every one has a chance. Just as everyone has a chance of winning Euromillions... But as someone pointed out a few days ago, it would take very many years for every player to get one (and the number of players grows daily) and that's assuming that there is never a repeat winner.

12 minutes ago, olympe said:

While I wholeheartedly agree with the suggestion, I really don't like the argument of things being "not fair". Life isn't fair, the raffle, however, is. Whether we like it or not. That being said, I hate randomness in games with a passion (because I always seem to lose there). On a dice with numbers from 1 to 6 I need to get anything that's not a 1 in order to win. What do I get? Right. The 1. Like, 90% of the time. (This claim may seem wrong because random stuff is supposed to even out the more you use it - but it doesn't seem to work for me when it counts. Seriously. I'm just that "lucky".) Trying to win a lottery/raffle? LOL! I don't even play any kind of lottery in real life because I know it's not worth it.

I absolutely agree with this. It is totally fair. I just don't like it !

Imo it depends on your definition of 'fair'. Is the raffle 'fair' in the everyone who enters has the same chance? Sure. Is it 'fair' that, with the current raffle alone, it will take 50+ *years* for every active player to have *one* CB Prize? I personally don't think that is 'fair' at all. 

I lobbied hard in the past for CB Prizes being available in some other way then just a completely random raffle with a very very tiny winning pool. The most expensive Market breed right now is the Chicken, at 5,300 shards. I figure Prizes should definitely be more then that, perhaps much more, to keep their uniqueness and specialness. But no matter what the price would be, it would still be a million times better to work towards a guaranteed outcome then to enter a random raffle month after month for *years* and never win. 

While some people may not like the 'this is a collectables game so we should be able to collect everything' argument, it's still a *valid* argument. Many people specifically play DC and *not* other games because of the *lack* of exclusive/elite dragons that only a tiny itty bitty minority can ever obtain. Many people play DC with specific goals in mind, commonly to get a pair of CBs (or a few pairs) of each breed.... Leaving out the *vast* majority of the playerbase from *ever* getting a specific CB breed just really doesn't jive with what DC is in every other way. The return of CB holidays seems to be a clue that exclusive, unobtainable dragons are not what most people want and not what this site should be about.

That would finally make the Market&Shards at all usable for me... Right now idk what I'm getting those Shards for, they're just worthless numbers to me...

And the winnig chance is NOT realistic, I've been entering almost every single montly raffle(dunno what for, since I won't have any use of a Prize as long as I don't get another of the same type of the opposite gender... and it's not only highly unlikely for me to win more than once, forget winning the same Prize type(breed&colour)..), my bf mostly too, and guess what, none of us won, and we're NOT in some exceptional bad luck, we're in the average situation... And some people won twice... RNG is never fair, it's just a scapegoat to take all the blame and responsibility, a convenient excuse for all the unfair results so many people learned to accept against all the odds... No PERSON behind a decision doesn't equal fair! All it does is leaving no person to took the responsibility for the result, but doesn't make anything fair...
And all that Shards require is playing on a weekly basis, it's not an uneven playing field, is not dependent on other player's luck preventing you from getting the thing, it does require you to play the game and work, and sacrifice other things like if you want to buy a Prize, you can't buy a Gold or whatever and have to make you decision what will you prioritize... 

Just give the Prizes sth like a year or two worth of Shard collecting, keep the raffle - since winning a Prize still woudl put the winners in a huge advantage, liek save a year or two of Shards... (maybe lower the amount of winners if necessary), and Prizes would still be rare as hell, but at least REALISTICALLY obtainable (not just 'sure, you got the hope, but you may never get even one in a lifetime' they are now - it is already a sure thing that even if everybody won just once for 50 years, there would still be plenty of people with no Prize... this is already unfair. And we also don't want to exclude past winners from the poll, especially now there are quite a few who won more than once already... Al this 'raffles are fair' is just a meaningless slogan that doesn't take many importnat factors into account...)

11 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

While some people may not like the 'this is a collectables game so we should be able to collect everything' argument, it's still a *valid* argument. Many people specifically play DC and *not* other games because of the *lack* of exclusive/elite dragons that only a tiny itty bitty minority can ever obtain. Many people play DC with specific goals in mind, commonly to get a pair of CBs (or a few pairs) of each breed.... Leaving out the *vast* majority of the playerbase from *ever* getting a specific CB breed just really doesn't jive with what DC is in every other way. The return of CB holidays seems to be a clue that exclusive, unobtainable dragons are not what most people want and not what this site should be about.

This.

Edited by VixenDra

I say no unless they were priced 10 - 15k or more and it was random choice. Raffle is how it should be distributed (or not at all)

1 minute ago, Starscream said:

Raffle is how it should be distributed (or not at all)

Why?

I have to agree with the OP and half the people here. What's the difference between buying a Prize Dragon and getting one from the raffle? Raffles you get a totally random colour not of your choosing and it could be years before you get one (I already won one from last year and have not gotten another one since and may never win ever again unless the amount of winners rise and/or winners won't be able to enter for a month or two) whereas the Market you can save up for one yearly and buy a colour of your choosing. And honestly, market bought or raffle win, the only reason difference would be the market store buys won't be protected like raffles, but you can't trade both of them unless you want to drop them as a special surprise to people, but honestly, how many people are willing to do that?

They shouldn’t be higher than a year’s worth of shards. Six years to get a full prize set (in a single gender, mind you, never mind having one of each or a pair) is absurd enough (I’d like half a year tbh), but more than that is insane.

re:life isn’t fair yadda yadda, no it’s not, but that’s why I play games. If I wanted to be sad and embrace inequality, I’d read the news. There is a huge difference between making things dirt cheap / meaningless to get and making things absurdly hard to get / “real life isn’t fair durrhurr” level rare. There is a pleasant, game friendly balance that can be made, I assure you.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I would love to see these in the marketplace as it's much more likely that I would be able to save enough shards and buy one before I would ever win one.  I would not mind the color that you get being random.

When the marketplace suggestion was made one of the central suggestions was that CB prizes and HM prizes were in it (rather than just regular dragons) but sadly I think that the fact that it was implemented without them basically means they'll never be there. 

4 hours ago, Cireth said:

From your lips to the DragonLord's ears. I hope this is implemented and we all have a chance to obtain a prize dragon proactively.

Quite frankly I don't think special should mean "is technically always obtainable but excludes 99% of the playerbase due to pure RNG". Are GoNs no longer considered special now? Absolutely you can get a lineaged prize easily, but until last year you could say the same for holidays and yet they returned in CB form. Spriters' alts are neither RNG-based nor official dragons (as evidenced by their removals from the encyclopedia) and spriters' altkin look exactly the same as regular CB dragons, so they are not equivalent to prizes. CB hybrids are completely unobtainable but the 2gs can be made any time on your own, unlike 2g or 3g prizes where you have to wait and hope someone has a trade up and wants what you have, and alt sweetlings have been practically discontinued.

In a way raffle-based prizes are worse than rlc pets, because at least those are generally tradeable to people who don't have rlc and can still be obtained in their original form (i.e. CBs) by anyone who saved up virtual currency. (Not that I'm advocating for rlc pets of course.)

I support this. I play DC for the collecting aspect (CB only) and it sucks knowing I will probably never get a CB prize. 

1 hour ago, DarkEternity said:

When the marketplace suggestion was made one of the central suggestions was that CB prizes and HM prizes were in it (rather than just regular dragons) but sadly I think that the fact that it was implemented without them basically means they'll never be there. 

Well, technically the Market was implemented without multiple biome-variant breeds (Coppers, for one) and from what TJ has posted it does sound like those were meant to be added eventually, so I'm *hoping* that something not already being in the Market doesn't mean it never will be. 

2 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

re:life isn’t fair yadda yadda, no it’s not, but that’s why I play games. If I wanted to be sad and embrace inequality, I’d read the news. There is a huge difference between making things dirt cheap / meaningless to get and making things absurdly hard to get / “real life isn’t fair durrhurr” level rare. There is a pleasant, game friendly balance that can be made, I assure you.

This. So much. There is a *huge* difference between making them *easy* to get, which I really don't think anyone is asking for, and simply making them realistically *obtainable*. Because they are *not* currently realistically obtainable, for the vast majority of the userbase. A handful of random users win each month and no one can affect or increase their own chances and the vast majority of the userbase will not win a single Prize within the next 5 years. Imo saying 'oh well the raffles are back so you have a chance now!' is ridiculous... When the *majority* of the playerbase will *not* have access to even one CB Prize in the next 5, 10 years, I really don't think 'oh we have raffles' is good enough. 

For realistic comparison: There is currently 3,105 scrolls with growing dragons in AoND. If we shoot very very *very* low and pretend that those are the only scrolls that are actually active, it will currently take roughly 4.3 *years* for every single one of those scrolls to obtain a CB Prize, and that's not factoring in the repeat-wins that we know happen. And I'm pretty dang sure there *are* more active scrolls then that.... I personally don't think that's the kind of game DC is, or should be, or the majority of players want it to be. 

5 hours ago, Starscream said:

I say no unless they were priced 10 - 15k or more and it was random choice. Raffle is how it should be distributed (or not at all)

I'm in the minority here, but I'm with Starscream.

I like the raffles. I'm glad we have monthly ones - remember when only a few people that won at Christmas had prizes?

As someone who still hasn't caught her own CB Gold or Silver in the cave yet, I treat it as a personal challenge. A stride or journey in order to reach that holy grail. While yes, I would like to have them open in the market, I'm actually in a way, glad they're not. It's one of the last great challenges in this wonderful cave. To obtain a CB Prize gives you legendary status, not as someone who holds power over others, but as one of the few who won a Prize and can create your own prize lineages. I don't have a CB Prize, and it stands as one of the two last great challenges left for me to achieve on this wonderful site that I've been apart of for nearly 6 years. I have one of each dragon, including an ND which was a total fluke. I don't mind if it becomes available on the market, but I'm leaning 70% more towards I hope they do not.

Some things in life are never given to us, we have to earn them, even through luck.