Cireth

ANSWERED:Can We Please Have Prizes Available in the Market

I didn't want to get accused of quoting a "too expensive" price, so sure ^^

It's true, no point in biting each other's heads off about a fantasy.  Nothing is gonna happen until TJ decides it will and he will do it his way, nobody else's.  Until then I will save my shards for the off chance someday they will be there.

The reason that different people are saying "we want cbs, who cares about 2gs" and "we want cbs because of 2gs" is that many more players and playing-styles are benefited by cbs being readily available, so regardless of our opinion on bred things many of us are still interested in CB market prizes. And frankly, even if you can get a 2g prize of several for cheap the odds of it being a pairing you want is low and almost certainly limited to rares or holidays versus the 90% of commons you'll never see bred with prizes.

I don't understand why Prizes need to be "special." They were originally given out as contest prizes, so of course they were special then. But they're not that anymore. CBs are given out randomly for very, very little effort; they're not earned or worked for at all. And anything that isn't CB or 2G has significantly less value. Why wouldn't CB Prizes still be "special" if they cost a full year's worth of shards? Only a small percentage of players will be able to purchase them right away. Anyway, even if CB Prizes aren't added to the market, they will eventually lose some value as more are handed out each month. 

And yes, there are ways to get 2G Prizes without multiple CB Golds/a 2G Prize/a Negelcted/a 2G from SA. Some people will give them away for free or a handful of CB hatchlings. But good luck with finding those offers. The people who ask for low prices often have the longest breeding lists, and the rest of the CB Prize owners seem to want only "expensive" offers from the above list. And because catching a CB Gold or creating a Neglected is unpredictable, having a CB Prize or SA is really the only reliable way to trade for 2Gs. That means that 99% of the userbase is excluded from having an "easy" way to trade for 2Gs they need to complete lineages. How is that a good thing, especially in a collecting-based game? I don't understand.

It makes me sad to see vicious comments in every thread discussing CB Prizes. I'm not going to call anyone out, but this doesn't need to be an argument. The thread was created for the purpose of respectful discussion. Can we please return to that?

20 minutes ago, The Dragoness said:

It makes me sad to see vicious comments in every thread discussing CB Prizes. I'm not going to call anyone out, but this doesn't need to be an argument. The thread was created for the purpose of respectful discussion. Can we please return to that?

I still stand by what I said at the bottom of page one, however I'm in no way against the idea of them becoming an open market dragon. It's not going to affect me negatively. But it was the part I quoted that stood out the most and that I agree with most. I mean no disrespect to anyone who may have quoted me, stating that luck isn't earning. I'm not even going to give it a reply, because I don't want to argue. I want to enjoy this game, and the company of those who play. There are some amazing and wonderful people on this site, both vets and newbies and I for one don't want to tarnish anything by joining in on any negative tit for tats.

We're free to express our opinions, wants and hopes, but I for one am just grateful TJ allowed us to obtain things that we didn't think possible already. We have Frills and Bright Pinks back. My first wish on this site when I was new was to have a Frill dragon, but I believed it would never happen. And then last holiday season we were given a chance to grab CB holidays from previous years once again.

This was a blessing for me, as I had missed the first few years and my only five CB Cavern Lurkers had been killed by viewbombers and I was devastated. I now have three CB Cavern Lurkers and they're ready to go this coming season. I'm eternally grateful to TJ for that and to anyone who helped him pull it off. I feel completely neutral to this. I both do and don't want them open on the market for various reasons, some of which I already explained in my first post, but if they do, is it really the end of the world? No. Yeah, it'll make trading a bit harder and I don't do much of that myself, I'm sorry, it's just not how I play. But you can easily get creative with trading interesting and amazing lineages instead if 2G Prizes, golds and silvers become less valuable. Heck, you can even say in the trading post "Won in raffle" or "Caught in Cave" to separate it and acknowledge it's rarity and that it wasn't just bought off the market. And honestly, with the fact that Market-obtained eggs can't be traded anyway that helps keep values stable, does it not?

55 minutes ago, Syiren said:

We have Frills and Bright Pinks back.

Oh YES. That was my BIG Thing - Bright Pinks. I used to have a sig whining about wanting those :lol:

1 hour ago, The Dragoness said:

I don't understand why Prizes need to be "special." They were originally given out as contest prizes, so of course they were special then. But they're not that anymore. CBs are given out randomly for very, very little effort; they're not earned or worked for at all. And anything that isn't CB or 2G has significantly less value. Why wouldn't CB Prizes still be "special" if they cost a full year's worth of shards? Only a small percentage of players will be able to purchase them right away. Anyway, even if CB Prizes aren't added to the market, they will eventually lose some value as more are handed out each month. 

This entirely. HOWEVER TJ did say that he was going to change the requirements to meet each months go but he said that sometime last year iirc and he's still not done to change anything and people who put in the most minimal effort into playing (which is just 3 dragons) can stop playing for the rest of the month until it resets and voila! CB Prize dragon acquired which imo isn't really fair to the ones who do play religiously *shrug*

3 minutes ago, Dalek Raptor said:

This entirely. HOWEVER TJ did say that he was going to change the requirements to meet each months go but he said that sometime last year iirc and he's still not done to change anything and people who put in the most minimal effort into playing (which is just 3 dragons) can stop playing for the rest of the month until it resets and voila! CB Prize dragon acquired which imo isn't really fair to the ones who do play religiously *shrug*

This is where I have to disagree - and I'm a hoarder, thank you very much. Some people go code hunting and nothing else. Others only breed for lineages. Another group has very set scroll goals, namely one of each sprite. And some want a frozen army of whatever. All of these are valid play styles, and shouldn't be affected negatively by new additions to DC. Since this game is basically about raising dragons, this is the only common denominator for all players. Choosing 3 as a number is low enough to let even people participate who can only log on twice a month, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. After all, active players are rewarded with other things - better chances at catching precious eggs, better chances at trading, better chances at breeding something they covet, more shards earned (because raising three dragons alone won't cut it) and so on.

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly. Or so I always thought. ;) 

ETA: Just for your information, this "double post" happened due to another post in between being deleted by mods. If I could delete this one, I'd have done so.

Edited by olympe

16 hours ago, Syiren said:

As someone who still hasn't caught her own CB Gold or Silver in the cave yet, I treat it as a personal challenge. A stride or journey in order to reach that holy grail. While yes, I would like to have them open in the market, I'm actually in a way, glad they're not. It's one of the last great challenges in this wonderful cave. To obtain a CB Prize gives you legendary status, not as someone who holds power over others, but as one of the few who won a Prize and can create your own prize lineages. I don't have a CB Prize, and it stands as one of the two last great challenges left for me to achieve on this wonderful site that I've been apart of for nearly 6 years. I have one of each dragon, including an ND which was a total fluke. I don't mind if it becomes available on the market, but I'm leaning 70% more towards I hope they do not.

Some things in life are never given to us, we have to earn them, even through luck.

This pretty much sums up how I feel on the matter as well. Though if they do show up in the market I would prefer them to be much higher than 5000. Something more like 10,000 should be the goal.

20 minutes ago, Kaiserf11 said:

10K sounds reasonable when compared to the other prices, I agree with you. But, someone else stated that it might bee too high for someone who doesn't get the chance to play everyday while still being active and I do agree with that. Maybe 7.5K would be more affordable to everyone? It would still be considerably higher than the highest current prize, while beaing somewhat easier to reach for everyone even if they can't log in everyday.

There could also be selected special deal days where the prices drop for the Prize eggs too, like during holidays or DC's Birthday. It could drop by a significant amount which would make it easier, yet still fair.

Knock it off.

This thread is temporarily closed while I go through it.

--------

Topic reopened.

Please do not get personal no matter how much you disagree with other users.

Edited by LadyLyzar

^^^^^

This got heated way too fast. No wonder people avoid the forums... Yikes.

My two cents: I think it would be great to be able to buy prize eggs in the market. For one thing, there truly isn't anything else available in the market that would be worth it for a veteran player to save up for. It's great for newer players who have a lot of breeds to catch up on, and it's great for midrange players with slow connections who now know they can eventually have CB metals, but none of that is useful to the longtime players who have already collected everything available in the cave. A prize would be something worth excitedly saving up for.

Also, since there are multiple breeds of prizes, winning the lotto would still be exciting and would not diminish people's interest in saving shards for a prize.

Honestly, part of the issue here is that not as many people are trading prize lineages anymore period. Yes, it takes forever to trade nice-lineaged dragons for a 2nd-gen prize. But it also takes forever to trade a 2nd-gen prize for nice-lineaged dragons. The pool of people who are interested in that kind of trade is just a lot smaller anymore (compared to the pool of people who are willing to trade a bunch of newly released CBs for a CB silver, which gets snapped up immediately.) Making CB prizes at least nominally available to everyone would make it possible for people to continue using them in lineages even now that interest in prize lineages is like 1/1000th of what it used to be.

I support.

Edited by tjekan

14 minutes ago, tjekan said:

My two cents: I think it would be great to be able to buy prize eggs in the market. For one thing, there truly isn't anything else available in the market that would be worth it for a veteran player to save up for. It's great for newer players who have a lot of breeds to catch up on, and it's great for midrange players with slow connections who now know they can eventually have CB metals, but none of that is useful to the longtime players who have already collected everything available in the cave. A prize would be something worth excitedly saving up for.

This is pretty true. I am a long time player who still needs CB Golds, so I will be saving for those. But for those who have all the Golds they need, there is really not much value in the market. Even if Prizes became available in the market I would still buy my Golds first because they are more useful at this point in lineages. I am beginning to see a lot more checker lineages with Prizes, though, and will eventually be interested in buying those, too (if I live long enough! XD ).

I think even if Prizes were available in the market it would not take away from the thrill of actually winning one in the raffle. But realistically not everyone is ever going to win one.

I would also like to see interesting things in the market like, for example, tonics that take a day off the amount of time a hatchling has left. 

I would buy eggshells from the market. Not anything useful for the game, just an empty eggshell that would put an image of the egg on my scroll next to the hatchlings and adults. Why not. Like I said, I don't have anything else to spend shards on anyway really.

8 minutes ago, DarkEternity said:

I would also like to see interesting things in the market like, for example, tonics that take a day off the amount of time a hatchling has left. 

Now THAT I would be down for, like helpful items you can buy? Nice.

1 hour ago, DarkEternity said:

tonics that take a day off the amount of time a hatchling has left. 

I thought that as BSA for some other breed once. As most useful action can be implemented as BSA, so I think 'item' to buy is enough for removing BSA cooldown time.

@LadyLyzar  sorry.

1 hour ago, DarkEternity said:

I don't think anything of the sort is going to be implemented. I'm not against them (tho I don't support them either) but for those types of things we have BSA dragons, so imo, its more likely to get one of the existing dragons, or one of the new breeds to have a BSA implemented that would do just that instead of buying tonics or potions. I could be wrong tho.

*is very very glad I stayed away from this thread for a bit, since it seems it blew up a bit in my absence*

From what I'm seeing, the basics of this debate come down to two main points: How 'fair' the raffle is, and how 'special' CB Prizes should be. Some people seem to want CB Prizes to be this mythical-type thing that very very few people will ever actually get, and think anything else would devalue Prizes and make the ones people already have a lot less special. Some people think the raffle is the most 'fair' way to distribute CB Prizes since RNG is supposedly random (though no RNG is *completely* random) so everyone who enters has the same chance. 

I, of course, don't agree with that, and it seems like I'm not the only one. I don't think that a collecting game should have a collectible that only a *tiny* portion of the userbase will ever actually obtain (this is one reason I never play pay-for-play games....). I don't think a game where the basic thing to do is to collect things should have a collectible that is *only* available through pure random luck. And I *certainly* don't think that raffles are the fairest way to do things just because they are 'random'. Fair can be interpreted many different ways, and to me 'fair' means 'realistically possible', which given the current numbers in the raffle and the active playerbase, is not how it is. I also think it's a lot more 'fair' to allow someone to work towards a goal then to force them to be at the mercy of complete randomness.

My thoughts on the matter have already been quoted in this thread: The market was designed as a supplement specifically for the randomness of catching eggs in the cave, and so I don't really plan to add anything not available in the cave to the market.

The market hasn't even been around long enough to see what its real impact is on e.g. rarer eggs that people haven't even gotten a chance to afford yet. Adding something even rarer than that seems a bit hasty.

17 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

The market hasn't even been around long enough to see what its real impact is on e.g. rarer eggs that people haven't even gotten a chance to afford yet. Adding something even rarer than that seems a bit hasty. 

But if people knew (or had reason to hope) that they might eventually get the chance to buy a CB prize for 7,5k or 10k, that might drastically influence their willingness to spend 5-6k on an otherwise obtainable rare (once they have earned these). So in my opinion, the latest halfway-drama-free time to announce whether CB prizes will be a thing would be shortly before players who have maxxed out their shard earnings all the time are able to afford the 5k+ rares.

7 hours ago, tjekan said:

Also, since there are multiple breeds of prizes, winning the lotto would still be exciting and would not diminish people's interest in saving shards for a prize.

Honestly, part of the issue here is that not as many people are trading prize lineages anymore period. Yes, it takes forever to trade nice-lineaged dragons for a 2nd-gen prize. But it also takes forever to trade a 2nd-gen prize for nice-lineaged dragons. The pool of people who are interested in that kind of trade is just a lot smaller anymore (compared to the pool of people who are willing to trade a bunch of newly released CBs for a CB silver, which gets snapped up immediately.) Making CB prizes at least nominally available to everyone would make it possible for people to continue using them in lineages even now that interest in prize lineages is like 1/1000th of what it used to be.

I support.

4 hours ago, DarkEternity said:

Let's give the dragons time to get sorted first !

2 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

I, of course, don't agree with that, and it seems like I'm not the only one. I don't think that a collecting game should have a collectible that only a *tiny* portion of the userbase will ever actually obtain (this is one reason I never play pay-for-play games....). I don't think a game where the basic thing to do is to collect things should have a collectible that is *only* available through pure random luck. And I *certainly* don't think that raffles are the fairest way to do things just because they are 'random'. Fair can be interpreted many different ways, and to me 'fair' means 'realistically possible', which given the current numbers in the raffle and the active playerbase, is not how it is. I also think it's a lot more 'fair' to allow someone to work towards a goal then to force them to be at the mercy of complete randomness.

I am very much with this.

36 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

My thoughts on the matter have already been quoted in this thread: The market was designed as a supplement specifically for the randomness of catching eggs in the cave, and so I don't really plan to add anything not available in the cave to the market.

15 minutes ago, Lastalda said:

But if people knew (or had reason to hope) that they might eventually get the chance to buy a CB prize for 7,5k or 10k, that might drastically influence their willingness to spend 5-6k on an otherwise obtainable rare (once they have earned these). So in my opinion, the latest halfway-drama-free time to announce whether CB prizes will be a thing would be shortly before players who have maxxed out their shard earnings all the time are able to afford the 5k+ rares.

I am SO with Lastalda here, TJ. You could price them sky high - but at least we could then TRY, rather than just hope.