Cireth

ANSWERED:Can We Please Have Prizes Available in the Market

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 7:54 AM, Zeditha said:

I think something like a 5-shard guaranteed prize would be reasonable, if there was to be a guaranteed prize. It would definitely encourage more players to participate in the raffle each month, which could be seen as a good or a bad thing. (Personally, selfishly speaking, I want as few people as possible to participate in the raffle, to increase prize chances for those who do.)

But I am very definitely in favour of some kind of prize being given out *proportionally* to rafflegoers. Maybe even 'consolation prizes' of metals? I'd be happy if, say, 1% of raffle entrants got a CB Gold, 5% a Silver, and 15% a Copper (the three kinds distributed in equal numbers), plus perhaps a large (500-1,000?) and a small (100-200?) shard prize to larger portions of players (perhaps 20% and 30%).

All my numbers are, of course, fairly arbitrary.

Eggs gained from the Raffles should be like those bought from the Market; you can't trade them, only AP them.

Although, I'd be okay with the idea of being able to 'cash in' your egg and get its shard equivalent instead. I'm speaking as someone who really dislikes Golds and would far prefer the... however many shards it is. (I don't even have them unlocked so I can't look at their price lol)

If prizes were to be introduced into the market, I'd like to see them all on a fairly equivalent price level. Perhaps 10,000 for Bronze, 11,000 for Silver, 12,000 for Gold. I like the Silvers the most, and would hate if it were, say, 10k, 20k, 30k, because that means I'd have to choose between two Bronze Prizes or one Silver.

(I'm ok with higher prices - just an example of what I mean!)

You do realize that the prices you listed would mean waiting 2 years for a prize when the two prize breeds combined have six sprites, right? It's unreasonable for them to be priced so that you need to wait 12 years to get them all. Gold-level pricing is still probably too high considering the number of sprites, but it's much more reasonable.

2 hours ago, Guillotine said:

You do realize that the prices you listed would mean waiting 2 years for a prize when the two prize breeds combined have six sprites, right? It's unreasonable for them to be priced so that you need to wait 12 years to get them all. Gold-level pricing is still probably too high considering the number of sprites, but it's much more reasonable.

Actually - that would still give a better chance than the raffle. I could live with that. And I'm almost 74 years old.

11 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Actually - that would still give a better chance than the raffle. I could live with that. And I'm almost 74 years old.

a075.gif  a075.gif  a075.gifI can live with that, too. Getting all sprites this way is still going to be faster (on average) than getting a single one through the raffle. Plus, it would keep Prizes special.

That is the whole idea of it -- to be faster (or surer).  I am nearly as old as Fuzz and I will not be happy if they are added to the market at a price that makes me wait 12 years to get all of the sprites -- and then only if I don't use any of my shards for the CB Golds that I still need.

3 hours ago, Guillotine said:

Gold level pricing is far too low for my taste because after not even a year everybody has 1 CB prize and they / their offspring becomes a lot less valuable super fast after that point. A two year wait for a choice of which prize you want (which you can't through the raffle system - I would have preferred a Shimmer) would make much more sense to me. Plus, if it isn't known super far in advance some people will have bought something else (e. g. Gold) first and the point at which people will have obtained enough shards for a Prize would be more spread out over a few months. Means, I want other people to get them (!) but not at a rate which would destroy their value.

The only way I see which would keep their offspring kinda rare and desirable is dropping their breeding results much lower (and nobody wants that!) :(

It's still way better than the status quo, though. And I doubt it's going to fly if we ask for them to be priced too low. 1-2 years is totally fine with me. I don't need all of them, one is enough to get into the trading-for-2nd-gens game.

10 minutes ago, Soulsborne said:

Means, I want other people to get them (!) but not at a rate which would destroy their value.

Eh, it's all relative though. I mean, look at your sig. What do you want for your 2nd-gen prizes? A 2nd-gen prize swap. Even if their value dropped in half, you'd still be able to trade one 2nd-gen prize for another. In fact if anything you'd have more variety of prize swap trades to choose from. It'd be fine, I think.

3 minutes ago, tjekan said:

Eh, it's all relative though. I mean, look at your sig. What do you want for your 2nd-gen prizes? A 2nd-gen prize swap. Even if their value dropped in half, you'd still be able to trade one 2nd-gen prize for another. In fact if anything you'd have more variety of prize swap trades to choose from. It'd be fine, I think.

Actually, I am not mainly looking for swaps. And so far I haven't completed one - my 2nd gens went out into the world for IOUs on other stuff or regular trades in the hub. I simply offer swaps for people who are looking for other owners and want to set something up. But that doesn't have much to do with the thread :)

For the rest, I think I made clear what would be most fitting in my opinion.

I wouldn't like Prizes to be worth much more than CB Golds. Prizes have had total control of the trade market for long enough, it's time to make them more available. 3g Prizes (other than very rare lines) aren't worth a ton anymore anyway, just the 2gs. 

I made my price examples with the expectation that most people would want them at pretty high prices (and as an example that I'd like to see them close together in price).

I had to ask what the Gold price is in TLQ, was told it's 3900. I think Prizes should be above that; something around the 5k mark (1 year of shard collecting) seems very reasonable to me.

Perhaps a pricing structure more like 5k, 5.1k, 5.2k would work better? I definitely don't think that the prizes should be equally prices (Golds>Silvers>Bronzes always, even though Silvers are by far my favourite) but at the same time I feel they should be fairly close together. (Mostly so I can have my Silver without feeling bad :PThis way will probably skew the gold:silver:bronze ratio from what it has been so far, but that's ok.

Maybe a bigger price gap would be slightly better, but I definitely don't want it to be more than a month's difference. 5k, 5.5k, 6k is probably the largest difference I'd be ok with.

1 minute ago, Ruby Eyes said:

The most expensive item is currently the Chicken at 5200 shards, if you need a comparison.

(Didn't know that, don't have Chicken unlocked lol)

Perhaps a higher price, then? Something like a 1.5 to 2 years' worth of shards might be more reasonable.

Honestly I'd be fine with any price as long as they're in the market!

I think the 5k mark is fine, and I don't see any real reason to discriminate between the levels. One price fits all works for me. And the chicken - well, I suspect some migratory thing like the Harvests just turned out to have.

Actually, the Chickens have become *cheaper* since Market introduction :lol:

One price fits all would work for me, too. Just add them already! :D

If prizes are added to the Market, there's no need to differ prices based on color. It's the same derg, just a different color. One price fits all, please.

I must admit I really don't care much one way or another - although differences like 5k for bronze, 10k for silver and 15k for gold would be awful. XD

Perhaps instead of offering perfect CB prizes in the Market, a new off-color could be added that's essentially the same breed / sprite artwork of the Tinsel / Shimmers respectively but is duller in tone or perhaps follows a color scheme similar to the platinum trophy?

In a sense, they would be CB prizes without the grandeur of winning a raffle but still valuable because they would cost the most to purchase out of all of the Market eggs and/or be awarded to scrolls that have purchased and successfully raised ### eggs from the Market. It works both to gratify those who have not been lucky enough to win the raffle and those who have and perhaps don't want their status diminished by easier prizes.

Additionally, it adds an added level of interest to the Market and an achievable goal for collectors. If it were implemented, I feel it would be something obtainable only once or twice per scroll, since it would be special.

14 minutes ago, Narrae said:

Perhaps instead of offering perfect CB prizes in the Market, a new off-color could be added that's essentially the same breed / sprite artwork of the Tinsel / Shimmers respectively but is duller in tone or perhaps follows a color scheme similar to the platinum trophy?

In a sense, they would be CB prizes without the grandeur of winning a raffle but still valuable because they would cost the most to purchase out of all of the Market eggs and/or be awarded to scrolls that have purchased and successfully raised ### eggs from the Market. It works both to gratify those who have not been lucky enough to win the raffle and those who have and perhaps don't want their status diminished by easier prizes.

Additionally, it adds an added level of interest to the Market and an achievable goal for collectors. If it were implemented, I feel it would be something obtainable only once or twice per scroll, since it would be special.

As I recall, this exact suggestion was made several years ago for introducing CB Prizes into the biomes. At least one of the artists -- and perhaps both -- was against it.

It also really fails to address the desires of those who want to build lineages -- these dragons wouldn't substitute for the originals in lineages.

Edited by purplehaze

I think they should be priced at maybe 6000 shards, slightly higher than chickens and stuff, but not ridiculous. Their trade value is messed up anyway. Possibly 5200, to align nicely with years.

@Soulsborne You can't keep the value of prizes while simultaneously allowing many more people to get them. Unless you go around making them available at the market in some way which keeps them distributed as fast as the raffle, which defeats the point of this whole thing.

Edited by osmarks

The idea of a market-specific dragon has been raised multiple times and every time, people (including myself) have been firmly against it. The reasons are largely always the same: The market was meant as a *supplement* to the cave, and always optional. In the case of an extra Prize dragon, there's also the argument that the spriter/s didn't want one, and also... Adding a new Prize to the Market without adding the current ones won't help the current ones in the slightest.

If there was to be a new Prize introduced, I'd personally be ok with it. But if that new Prize showed up in the Market and the old ones don't? *That* would make me furious.

Right on, Zeditha. And yes the prize artists did nix a recolour, too.

2 hours ago, Zeditha said:

The idea of a market-specific dragon has been raised multiple times and every time, people (including myself) have been firmly against it. The reasons are largely always the same: The market was meant as a *supplement* to the cave, and always optional. In the case of an extra Prize dragon, there's also the argument that the spriter/s didn't want one, and also... Adding a new Prize to the Market without adding the current ones won't help the current ones in the slightest.

If there was to be a new Prize introduced, I'd personally be ok with it. But if that new Prize showed up in the Market and the old ones don't? *That* would make me furious.

Yes. This. Exactly. 

First is the issue that a Market-only dragon would basically be 100% the *opposite* of what the Market was actually introduced for. The Market is not supposed to be mandatory, not supposed to be the only way to get something, not supposed to be the end-all-be-all. It's simply meant to help people who have a hard time getting certain breeds the 'normal' way. 

And yes, adding some different-colored Prize to the Market doesn't actually address the current issue at all, which is that many many people who want the *current* CB Prizes will pretty much never ever get even one, based on the itty bitty number given out compared to the number of active players. It's basically going 'well, you still won't be able to ever get *this*, but here have a less special version!' which... Isn't really helping anything.

I would go for variable price per egg colour. since gold is supposed to be the rarer prize. But that said, I'm still against, unless the price was at least two years collecting.

I appreciate what the market is for, but for me collecting shards makes this game feel that much more tedious. I've been here a long time, and this game admittedly has a pretty poor track record of holding my attention because I've felt like the imbalances sucked any kind of enjoyment I had in playing it. The market is a good solution, but not a perfect one. I think 100 shards a week is just too low, considering the prices we're looking at currently. If we're going to be adding things like prizes to it, then the imperfections need to be fixed. Maybe fluctuate the amount we can collect with the current values in the market instead of one flat rate every week. Two years for one egg is too long. I'm not saying they should be handed out easily, but I think prizes should be reasonably priced or progress in collecting shards should actually feel like progress and not just spinning my wheels.

But I'm also really salty because I've been here for 10 years and my opinion reflects that, so take this as my disclaimer. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Saami

12 hours ago, Saami said:

I appreciate what the market is for, but for me collecting shards makes this game feel that much more tedious. I've been here a long time, and this game admittedly has a pretty poor track record of holding my attention because I've felt like the imbalances sucked any kind of enjoyment I had in playing it. The market is a good solution, but not a perfect one. I think 100 shards a week is just too low, considering the prices we're looking at currently. If we're going to be adding things like prizes to it, then the imperfections need to be fixed. Maybe fluctuate the amount we can collect with the current values in the market instead of one flat rate every week. Two years for one egg is too long. I'm not saying they should be handed out easily, but I think prizes should be reasonably priced or progress in collecting shards should actually feel like progress and not just spinning my wheels.

But I'm also really salty because I've been here for 10 years and my opinion reflects that, so take this as my disclaimer. 🤷‍♀️

I definitely understand being around for a long time and getting frustrated by the imbalances around here (I *just* caught my very first CB Gold after 10 years!). But in general the shard amounts seem rather okay to me... I've been idly collecting shards since they came out, only a handful of months ago, and I can already afford all but the highest 10 breeds (I think I counted right). Although those higher breeds do have a fairly large gap between where I currently am and where they are. The thing about Prizes is, a lot of people view them as something extra-special that *shouldn't* actually be available to everyone. To reach a compromise with those people, they'll probably have to be fairly expensive if they ever do get added to the Market. More expensive then anything currently in there for sure. But even a super-expensive Market Prize that takes multiple years to buy would *still* be better then the current raffle stats, and that's what I focus on; Anything at all that's better then what we currently have.

14 hours ago, Starscream said:

I would go for variable price per egg colour. since gold is supposed to be the rarer prize. But that said, I'm still against, unless the price was at least two years collecting.

I agree with the variable prices... The only current way to get Prizes, the raffle, does show a difference in their worth/value. Only 1/3rd (I think, I'm not good at fractions) the amount of golds are given out compared to bronzes, so obviously they should be more expensive then bronzes. (While I don't agree with your reasons against, I would *totally* be fine with 2+ years worth of shards. I think I'm in the minority there, but I totally don't mind passively collecting shards for a couple years in exchange for a guaranteed Prize.)

Edited by HeatherMarie