Cireth

ANSWERED:Can We Please Have Prizes Available in the Market

Just now, 49ER said:

Most of the 2g prizes are just traded for other 2g prizes.  That is why they continue to be for the most part, unobtainable for people who don't have CB prizes already.

To be fair, you can get them if you're lucky and your ND experiment works out, or if you have stupidly fast internet and reflexes and get some CB metals, or if some nice prize owner gifts you some.

It is kind of crazy, though, that offspring from a thing given out at random fetch those high prices. This is what I mean by balance problems.

You can actually get them for 15 common hatchlings bred from your scroll. I am living proof.

Just now, Fuzzbucket said:

You can actually get them for 15 common hatchlings bred from your scroll. I am living proof.

You can also get them for free. That does not mean that all or most are given for free.

Getting a 2g prize for a Neglected or CB metal is only likely if it is a new winner, and they don't already have those. The winners who have been active for a bit already had all those thrown at them in the beginning and don't need them anymore.  I had one new winner pm me about an ND as soon as they got the email.  But for the most part, all I see are 2g swap for other 2g

I'd rather have the raffle done every two weeks instead of putting prizes on the Market. Good luck with the raffles, I just envy people with more than one prize dragons, such luck! :) 

22 minutes ago, osmarks said:

You can also get them for free. That does not mean that all or most are given for free.

NO, but it does mean that all this stuff about how impossible 2 gens are to trade for doesn't entirely hold up.

More to the point - it is moot, What we are asking for is CB prizes in the store. 2 gens have NOTHING to do with that request.

Even if you have a huge number of 2 gens, you still don't have a CB - and if you BUY a CB you can't trade it, so that wouldn't help anyone else get a CB through trading either, even if some buyer were that generous.

5 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

NO, but it does mean that all this stuff about how impossible 2 gens are to trade for doesn't entirely hold up.

More to the point - it is moot, What we are asking for is CB prizes in the store. 2 gens have NOTHING to do with that request.

Even if you have a huge number of 2 gens, you still don't have a CB - and if you BUY a CB you can't trade it, so that wouldn't help anyone else get a CB through trading either, even if some buyer were that generous.

I'm suggesting that your one case means practically nothing.

The value of second-generation prizes does actually matter somewhat to any sort of talk about more prizes.

1 minute ago, osmarks said:

I'm suggesting that your one case means practically nothing.

The value of second-generation prizes does actually matter somewhat to any sort of talk about more prizes.

Not really. What is wanted is CBs in the store. That has little to do with how easy it is or isn't to trade for 2 gens.

Not really. What is wanted is CBs in the store. That has little to do with how easy it is or isn't to trade for 2 gens.

2Gs would be significantly easier to get if CBs were in the market.

The fact that 2Gs do normally go for so much despite being, as has been said, basically entirely randomly made available to people, is for me a problem.

Then please just add your weight to those of us who are simply asking for CBs IN THE MARKET ! :) I'm not looking for 2 gens, and many others aren't either... But if I manage to buy a CB, I will gladly breed it for you.

Deviating from the current discussion, here are some things that would be way more interesting to me to see where prize attribution is concerned, while maintaining the raffle, which I support and enjoy the randomness of (these suggestions can be combined):

1) Scaling chances of winning a prize by activity. This would be a chance to "reward" activity and effort, which everyone seems to be screaming for. To be clear, I'll set an example (if you don't like the number I'm quoting don't yell at me, I'm not saying these needs to be the definitive): 

Growing 3 adults/freezies still gets you one entry in the raffle. Growing 10 adults/freezies = 2 entries. Growing 20 adults/freezies = 3 entries. Growing 30 adults/freezies = 4 entries. Growing 40 adults/freezies = 5 entries. (I'd suggest capping the number of entries, for instance at 5, so that people can't just farm for entries). This way you can't just log on twice in the month and get the same chance as everyone else.

2) For every prize won, your chance of winning again is reduced (halved, maybe?). This would help with all the salt about some people having multiple prizes and others having none. This way people with no prizes have a higher chance of winning, but people who already have one are not excluded completely. This seems fair to me.

Discuss, I guess.

Edited by Aalbiel

Then please just add your weight to those of us who are simply asking for CBs IN THE MARKET ! :) I'm not looking for 2 gens, and many others aren't either... But if I manage to buy a CB, I will gladly breed it for you.

I don't actually like prizes much. I just consider them good because trading.

@Aalbiel I think it'd help, but on the other hand it doesn't fix the core arguably-an-issue of some of the most valuable dragons in the game being randomly distributed. Admittedly reducing the randomness slightly with activity scaling would help though.

2 minutes ago, osmarks said:

issue of some of the most valuable dragons in the game being randomly distributed

You think this is an issue in and of itself. I don't. (And others who have posted before don't either.) To me the raffle is a little skewed, and could be improved, but I like the concept of a raffle. (In case anyone was wondering, no, I don't have a CB Prize).

Why not discuss alternate options, such as the ones I have proposed?

Edited by Aalbiel

1 minute ago, Aalbiel said:

Deviating from the current discussion, here are some things that would be way more interesting to me to see where prize attribution is concerned, while maintaining the raffle, which I support and enjoy the randomness of (these suggestions can be combined):

1) Scaling chances of winning a prize by activity. This would be a chance to "reward" activity and effort, which everyone seems to be screaming for. To be clear, I'll set an example: 

Growing 3 adults/freezies still gets you one entry in the raffle. Growing 10 adults/freezies = 2 entries. Growing 20 adults/freezies = 3 entries. Growing 30 adults/freezies = 4 entries. Growing 40 adults/freezies = 5 entries. (I'd suggest capping the number of entries, for instance at 5, so that people can't just farm for entries). This way you can't just log on twice in the month and get the same chance as everyone else.

2) For every prize won, your chance of winning again is reduced (halved, maybe?). This would help with all the salt about some people having multiple prizes and others having none. This way people with no prizes have a higher chance of winning, but people who already have one are not excluded completely. This seems fair to me.

Discuss, I guess.

1. That would depend on what others see as "activity". It shoduln't mean a dedicated player has to change their play style. Especially since their chance of winning woudln't be that much greater, so they could be stuck with all those dxtra adults they didn't want in the first place gets them no further, while the endless failed efforts to get the right breed for their lineage and failing gets them nothing. (I have had a depressingly fruitless week that way :(  Played hard and got very little to show for it.)

2. I believe TJ has said RNG or nothing because fairness to all. He included figures from past raffles  to show just how little difference weeding out past winners would make. IIRC it was about a 10th of a percent, if that.

The thing about using the market is that shards, being obtainable from most actions, are a good proxy for activity.

3 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

1. That would depend on what others see as "activity". It shoduln't mean a dedicated player has to change their play style. Especially since their chance of winning woudln't be that much greater, so they could be stuck with all those dxtra adults they didn't want in the first place gets them no further, while the endless failed efforts to get the right breed for their lineage and failing gets them nothing. (I have had a depressingly fruitless week that way :(  Played hard and got very little to show for it.)

Perhaps we could have different criteria then, for instance a similar system to the one that calculates Shards earned, which gives importance to many different playing actions that all denote activity. (Edit: I'm not saying use shards to pay for entries in the raffle, just using a similar calculating system to earn entries).

(As for 2. I didn't see that, and honestly he's probably right, it can't make much of a difference, it would still make people feel better about their chances though and if I'm honest I think that's actually more important than the real tangible effect on the numbers.)

Edited by Aalbiel

What about shard earnings increasing raffle somethingorother without any actual shard cost?

3 minutes ago, osmarks said:

The thing about using the market is that shards, being obtainable from most actions, are a good proxy for activity.

YES. This is so true.

2 minutes ago, osmarks said:

What about shard earnings increasing raffle somethingorother without any actual shard cost?

That would fit with my general idea, I'd be okay with that.

Edited by Aalbiel

11 minutes ago, Aalbiel said:

1) Scaling chances of winning a prize by activity. This would be a chance to "reward" activity and effort, which everyone seems to be screaming for. To be clear, I'll set an example (if you don't like the number I'm quoting don't yell at me, I'm not saying these needs to be the definitive): 

Discuss, I guess.

1. As I've said in the shard-earning discussion threads, I don't personally want Prizes or anything else to be *so* much easier for me to get just because I have no life and can play 5+ hours every single day. Rewarding activity with things like shards, like we have now, is simple because even if you only play 2-3 days a week you can fairly easily hit the maximum. Rewarding people by such a *huge* point, when it comes to something as huge as CB Prizes, is really no more better then the craziness we have now, imo. 

2. TJ has already shot down any sort of penalties for winners, in a long long thread that had multiple different suggestions like this one. 

*ahem*

Personally, I really feel the need to point out that using the hub as a way of figuring out what 2nd-gen Prizes trade for is not really an accurate way to do things. *Many* people using the hub are people who've never traded until it was introduced and don't understand the general rarity/value of things. And many people also use the hub for quick simple trades and don't care so much about value or getting exactly what something is worth. The hub is not a good rarity meter at all, especially not with people like me trading uncommons and rares for messies.

1 minute ago, HeatherMarie said:

1. As I've said in the shard-earning discussion threads, I don't personally want Prizes or anything else to be *so* much easier for me to get just because I have no life and can play 5+ hours every single day. Rewarding activity with things like shards, like we have now, is simple because even if you only play 2-3 days a week you can fairly easily hit the maximum. Rewarding people by such a *huge* point, when it comes to something as huge as CB Prizes, is really no more better then the craziness we have now, imo. 

See the discussion that followed after my post, suggesting basing earning entries on a similar system to shards.