deku

Dragon Cave App

Sure we have a mobile site already but an app would be much more user-friendly. On the mobile site it’s hard to do things, especially in the cave as text and images are small and hard to see. 

Yeah that’d help but on top of that having an app is much easier than having to go to the website everyday. 

A standalone app would not inherently be more user-friendly than the existing mobile website just by existing.

If there are particular things with the mobile website you'd like to see improved, targeting those is a good idea. E.g. "having to go to the website" can be solved with "add to home screen" in Chrome on Android, which gives you a nice icon to play with, and I imagine iOS has something similar.

But having an app would be a handy way to receive instant push notifications on your phone when let’s say someone puts in an offer on your trade or one of your eggs get sick or something like that. And it would be a faster experience to use the app than the mobile site 

I'm fairly sure 'faster experience' is completely subjective, depending on the quality and speed of your own phone more then the site or app itself. I know for sure that most actual apps run much slower on my phone then simply opening the browser. Also, I'm not an expert on app-creation, but I'm not sure it's a given that a DC app would notify you if your eggs get sick? The site doesn't send notifications for that right now (although it has been suggested, with the newish Notifications feature). I definitely agree that tweaking the mobile site might be the better option rather then creating an entire app just because a couple things on the mobile site aren't great.

3 hours ago, deku said:

But having an app would be a handy way to receive instant push notifications on your phone when let’s say someone puts in an offer on your trade or one of your eggs get sick or something like that. And it would be a faster experience to use the app than the mobile site 

You can do browser push notifications (Web Push API or something).

Problem with an app is, it would not just be ONE app, due to the nature of mobile phones. It would need to be one for iOS users, one for Android users, one for Microsoft users, and whatever else may pop up in the future. It would also be a different technology - Java is not HTML/CSS/JavaScript. Imagine asking a butcher to make some bread for you - the result should be food as well, after all. (No, I did NOT compare TJ to a butcher!)

On the other hand, every mobile phone has a browser on which you can work with the same website.

I'd prefer if the worktime required for an app would rather be spent on improvements on the site for everyone, not just a fancy new frontend for mobile phone players.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

^

The app would probably end up just being a glorified browser window, or take ages to develop.

Honestly this seems like too much work to ask for.

The web redesign of certain functions seems more reasonable? Someone who is a regular mobile user should make a list, I rarely use DC from mobile.

Here's one from 2017: 

Unrelated, but I don't really see the necessity of an app.

I've been using the mobile version of the site almost exclusively for several years now (since it was introduced probably) and as long as I use it vertically (tall) rather than horizontally (wide) my only complaint really is when the timers on the abandoned page get long enough that the last row of eggs gets pushed partially off the page. 

True you can't use the alternate site themes, but I don't care for any of them so the mobile theme is fine for me. Also there are times where I would rather see more than 50 dragons at a time, but I understand and appreciate why the cap was put in place for mobile users.

I'd rather not have an app with push notifications because I tend to turn those off on most apps I use. 

I *finally* have a phone that actually allows internet access, so I have tried DC's mobile site a couple times in the past couple weeks... The only thing that I don't like is that on the front page the links to the different biomes are so close together that I often end up tapping the wrong one, but that's possibly more about my small screen and big fingers then anything else.

On 8/6/2018 at 4:36 PM, pegasi1978 said:

I've been using the mobile version of the site almost exclusively for several years now (since it was introduced probably) and as long as I use it vertically (tall) rather than horizontally (wide) my only complaint really is when the timers on the abandoned page get long enough that the last row of eggs gets pushed partially off the page. 

True you can't use the alternate site themes, but I don't care for any of them so the mobile theme is fine for me. Also there are times where I would rather see more than 50 dragons at a time, but I understand and appreciate why the cap was put in place for mobile users.

I'd rather not have an app with push notifications because I tend to turn those off on most apps I use. 

What device do you have? The AP timers were condensed (down to just "#d #h") a while back specifically to make sure more eggs could fit on the screen.

Push notifications (for mobile and desktop) are likely to be an opt-in extension to the notifications system.

On 8/6/2018 at 4:40 PM, HeatherMarie said:

I *finally* have a phone that actually allows internet access, so I have tried DC's mobile site a couple times in the past couple weeks... The only thing that I don't like is that on the front page the links to the different biomes are so close together that I often end up tapping the wrong one, but that's possibly more about my small screen and big fingers then anything else.

Yeah, those tap targets are bigger than they are on desktop, but they could definitely be better.

5 hours ago, TJ09 said:

What device do you have? The AP timers were condensed (down to just "#d #h") a while back specifically to make sure more eggs could fit on the screen.

I use the Chrome browser on a Galaxy S7. I honestly hadn't hunted much in the AP lately so I didn't realize the timers had been truncated.