AuroraLightsss

Thunder Dragon Resprite (With an image!)

I personally think some dragons and their sprites haven't aged well. Such as the Thunder Dragon, for example. The shading done in 2009 hasn't really stood up to time in my opinion, so I personally think we should resprite it, along with the other two Trio (Ice+Magma) sprites. I attempted a sprite. This is my first time spriting, so don't expect Marionetta quality.

~Removed~

As you can see in my mockup, the shading is up to date with the newly resprited dragons (Red+Seasonal), and some other features, that I fand kinda hard to describe. Again, this is my first time spriting, so I might have made mistakes here and there.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM ALLOWED!

Edited by purpledragonclaw

You are not allowed to alter sprite art without the permission of the original artist.

And actually I like the original a LOT better.

Even if it were permitted to alter art from the site, which it isn't, your changes don't really hold up. The most obvious thing you did was add lots of unnecessary dithering, which is not a good thing and takes out a lot of depth from the far wing. :( And sorry for stealing your thunder. XD 

That being said, the Thunder could do with more contrast, as it has very little of that, and some update on the neck and hind leg (especailly foot) anatomy.

Edited by olympe
Needed to add something.

As Fuzz said, you're supposed to ask before altering work--especially that of sprites that are already in cave. I think the thunder looks fine as it is now. 

If you really want to see changes made, the best way to do that is probably to start a forum discussion thread (without art) and ping TJ. If the thread takes off with wild support, he'll notice and maybe even consider it. But sprite updates have always happened privately, as far as I know. And I'm pretty sure Marrionetta is no longer active, so getting her approval on this might be difficult. 

I don't think the Thunder looks all that bad as-is in comparison to even older work (ex. Green), though.

4 minutes ago, The Dragoness said:

If you really want to see changes made, the best way to do that is probably to start a forum discussion thread (without art) and ping TJ. If the thread takes off with wild support, he'll notice and maybe even consider it. But sprite updates have always happened privately, as far as I know. And I'm pretty sure Marrionetta is no longer active, so getting her approval on this might be difficult. 

I don't think the Thunder looks all that bad as-is in comparison to even older work (ex. Green), though.

Mari must be active enough--even if not vocal--she worked on the mimic dragons.

ETA: Not that I support just randomly editing people's work without even consulting them. 

Edited by Jazeki

7 minutes ago, The Dragoness said:

I :wub: greens. So screamingful !

Okay. I'm sorry about not contacting the artist beforehand. Like I said, I'm new to spriting, and I didn't know I had to contact the artist. Thank you for telling me, I'll see if I can contact the artist.

It's okay that you don't really like my work, this was my first time doing spriting.

@Jazeki, good point. I thought the Mimics were an older concept. Either way, it's never a bad idea to ask for permission first.

@Fuzzbucket, I love some of the older sprites too. Just not, you know, the Greens :P

If you're interested in spriting, there are a bunch of DR concepts that would probably love to have your help, @AuroraLightsss

@AuroraLightsss: Please make sure to remove the sprite from your first post. Because it can cause you a lot of trouble if you don't.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

You are not allowed to alter sprite art without the permission of the original artist.

The Official Art Usage Form is the perfect resource to consult before messing with in-game sprites, it's the list of the artists involved in Dragon Cave and their wishes, along with contact information. Please consult this in the future before recoloring sprite art.