TJ09

2018-07-29 - July Dragon Release (Part 2)

I know human history has examples galore of jerk aristocracies, but I don't like this particular version that the forum's come up with for the Siyats.

Breeding takes time and resources. Parents do a careful balancing act in taking time away from their nest/den to take care of themselves so they can take care of their young. It is in no way 'wise' for the relatively rare purple Siyat to leave its own nest and eggs, not to feed itself so it can tackle the extra percolation time that producing purple offspring requires, but so it can go hassle the nests of much, much more common green and blue Siyats - who would surely protect their nests, hierarchy or not - and force them to hatch sooner.

(I mean, maybe if they were raiding these other nests to feed on the eggs and hatchlings, it would maybe make sense as a risk for the purples and explain why greens and blues don't go for purple eggs - can't afford to spare the time, gotta prioritizing hatching quick and growing up fast, fear of the purple cannibal overlords... But that's a whole different barrel of monkeys, isn't it?)

It seems more natural that some critters get the luxury of percolating their eggs a bit longer, because they got a better nesting spot and more resources by virtue of their social status. Their offspring benefit status-wise, and the cycle perpetuates itself. Maybe some years the pickings are better and there's a blue 'boom' and a few outsider purples, even.

Love the adults! ~ The mimics are so cute, and the blues are my favorite of the Siyats; great work, artists! ^^

3 minutes ago, schmupti said:

I know human history has examples galore of jerk aristocracies, but I don't like this particular version that the forum's come up with for the Siyats.

Unfortunately this isn't forum speculation though... direct from the spriter. Purple siyats are brutal alphas who sabotage underlings' eggs to keep their offspring from effectively competing with their own. There are plenty of examples of this in nature, it's just... a lot skeevier when the oppressors are thinking, speaking, magic-using sentient beings who not only know right from wrong but periodically scold humankind about it. These guys turned out to be more sinister than the murderchickens, LOL. The Aegis dragons are scowling upon them.

Team Green Uprising! 😄

11 minutes ago, schmupti said:

I know human history has examples galore of jerk aristocracies, but I don't like this particular version that the forum's come up with for the Siyats

The forum didn't come up with it; it's based on a headcanon posted by the spriter, Corteo.

13 minutes ago, schmupti said:

Breeding takes time and resources. Parents do a careful balancing act in taking time away from their nest/den to take care of themselves so they can take care of their young. It is in no way 'wise' for the relatively rare purple Siyat to leave its own nest and eggs, not to feed itself so it can tackle the extra percolation time that producing purple offspring requires, but so it can go hassle the nests of much, much more common green and blue Siyats - who would surely protect their nests, hierarchy or not - and force them to hatch sooner.

(I mean, maybe if they were raiding these other nests to feed on the eggs and hatchlings, it would maybe make sense as a risk for the purples and explain why greens and blues don't go for purple eggs - can't afford to spare the time, gotta prioritizing hatching quick and growing up fast, fear of the purple cannibal overlords... But that's a whole different barrel of monkeys, isn't it?)

It seems more natural that some critters get the luxury of percolating their eggs a bit longer, because they got a better nesting spot and more resources by virtue of their social status. Their offspring benefit status-wise, and the cycle perpetuates itself. Maybe some years the pickings are better and there's a blue 'boom' and a few outsider purples, even.

except this is directly from the spriter, this isn't the forum coming up with it

I was totally not expecting this, I had thought it might wait until this coming weekend, so I had not been on the lookout for them. Thankfully other sites that I visit posted about the new eggs and so I am over here getting some.

I got five of the small ones, and 2 mis-clicks, and a copper dragon that I couldn’t help myself clicking on. I checked and I don’t need it so I will put it up for trade after the cool down.   Then on to hunting for the large eggs. 

Breeding takes time and resources. Parents do a careful balancing act in taking time away from their nest/den to take care of themselves so they can take care of their young. It is in no way 'wise' for the relatively rare purple Siyat to leave its own nest and eggs, not to feed itself so it can tackle the extra percolation time that producing purple offspring requires, but so it can go hassle the nests of much, much more common green and blue Siyats - who would surely protect their nests, hierarchy or not - and force them to hatch sooner.

(I mean, maybe if they were raiding these other nests to feed on the eggs and hatchlings, it would maybe make sense as a risk for the purples and explain why greens and blues don't go for purple eggs - can't afford to spare the time, gotta prioritizing hatching quick and growing up fast, fear of the purple cannibal overlords... But that's a whole different barrel of monkeys, isn't it?)

That's not always how power works, the purples lead the group and likely have the belief in purple supremacy burned into the culture. Someone trying to raise their children above their place would likely be treated like a criminal act of sorts considering that they take away their babies and hatch them early. They are likely ganged up on by the group or are just plain overpowered in the same way a king trained in learn swordsmanship could overpower the common man without the money or time to learn a martial art would be.

And they're social so leaving the nest isn't as big of a risk, baby-sitting by other purples is always an option or they could just use a system where broods are brought food and water by the rest until it hatches or can be left alone, they're rather intelligent and clearly understand systems like class so I don't doubt that they could invent something like that.

Edited by blockEdragon

8 minutes ago, blockEdragon said:

That's not always how power works, the purples lead the group and likely have the belief in purple supremacy burned into the culture. Someone trying to raise their children above their place would likely be treated like a criminal act of sorts considering that they take away their babies and hatch them early. They are likely ganged up on by the group or are just plain overpowered in the same way a king trained in learn swordsmanship could overpower the common man without the money or time to learn a martial art would be.

And they're social so leaving the nest isn't as big of a risk, baby-sitting by other purples is always an option or they could just use a system where broods are brought food and water by the rest until it hatches or can be left alone, they're rather intelligent and clearly understand systems like class so I don't doubt that they could invent something like that.

This was the way I saw it too. Like, a peasant trying to push their way into a royal family would get banished, torn down, somehow stopped. That sort of thing. It's not an awesome happy thing, but that's the way it is sometimes. The people/dragons in power want to retain that power, keep it among themselves, and won't allow 'lesser's to shove their way in, and will take measures to stop that from happening, like stopping a 'commoner' egg from hatching purple. 

20 minutes ago, tjekan said:

Unfortunately this isn't forum speculation though... direct from the spriter. Purple siyats are brutal alphas who sabotage underlings' eggs to keep their offspring from effectively competing with their own. There are plenty of examples of this in nature, it's just... a lot skeevier when the oppressors are thinking, speaking, magic-using sentient beings who not only know right from wrong but periodically scold humankind about it. These guys turned out to be more sinister than the murderchickens, LOL. The Aegis dragons are scowling upon them.

Team Green Uprising! 😄

Except:

I'll rephrase: the version that the forum's decided to roll with, that the spriter themselves says is not canon.

Edited by schmupti
To clarify and avoid posting twice!

3 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

This was the way I saw it too. Like, a peasant trying to push their way into a royal family would get banished, torn down, somehow stopped. That sort of thing. It's not an awesome happy thing, but that's the way it is sometimes. The people/dragons in power want to retain that power, keep it among themselves, and won't allow 'lesser's to shove their way in, and will take measures to stop that from happening, like stopping a 'commoner' egg from hatching purple. 

Then wouldn't it be ironic if the eggs of the lowly green litebrites-- undoubtedly usually the ones stolen by humans, since the purples would keep theirs guarded-- are the ones who end up becoming more powerful than any of the others of their breed due to being raised by humans as nestmates of zyus, Avatars, xenos and other mightier dragon breeds? 🙂

Lovely new dragons. I love the mischeivness of the purple Pygmy dragon. So darn cute!

Thanks to TJ and all those creative artisans who brought them to life, so to speak.  Lol

22 minutes ago, schmupti said:

Except:

I'll rephrase: the version that the forum's decided to roll with, that the spriter themselves says is not canon.

as far as I am concerned, the spriter that made the dragons knows more about them than we do. Even if the site doesn't say it as they do, they still made the dragons with a specific idea in mind and i prefer to go with the spriter's ideas for their dragon over my own made up ideas about a breed wherever possible, because to me a spriter's idea and words about their dragon design is as official as it gets, evne if the game itself doesn't list all the details

so while the cave description doens't go into detail about their social structure, just saying they have one, Corteo's own words about them is what's real to me, because htey MADE them so they'd obviously know xD i dont' see why it's bad that the forum is taking the creator's own design choice for them and sticking with it instead of coming up with something completely different, which feels a bit rude to me. We might not like everything that the dragon lore is about, but they still were made that way and i'm not going to go the complete opposite saying 'WRONG! in teh wild purples and greens and blues live in harmony!'

Edited by Sirithiliel

Can mods please put what both spriters have said at the end of the thread on this dragon, when the thread closes? I have trouble finding their official words otherwise. Such as more info on breeds, whether quoted/questions from us or just whatever they give us when we see adults 

Edit; Thank you!! :)

Edited by Nightwalkerkey

I think I'm probably going to interpret the system, in my own game play, as less of an oppressive system and more of a system where they cultivate colors based on the needs of society. They green become warriors, protectors, and builders so they need to be out and being trained as fast as possible. The blues are rarer and they fill the positions like scholars, historians, healers, and the like. The purples, being rarest of all, are used for leadership roles.

For me it's not about which is more important, but that each has an important and respected place but for different reasons. Of course a society of these dragons will need more greens, because there are more jobs to be done in their areas. Less blues would be needed because the have a narrower skill set but one that may take more time to develop. The rarity of the purples would be because you need the least amount of people running things and they would be taught things like managing resources, settling disputes, dealing with whatever crisis might occur.

In that sense the Purples would be seen wise, not because they're worth more, but because they learn to develop the tools and practices that cultivate characteristics that we tend to classify as 'wisdom".

That may be called a "higher status" because they are more often deferred to, but i don't think it has to mean that any of them are less valuable or less valued by the group as a whole. The colors are markers of social status with regard to how responsibility is divided, but not inherently indicative of worth.

i doubt that was the thinking behind the concept, but I like relative harmony in my cave, so this is how I'm rolling and I'm sticking to it! :P 

Wow. The lore has made me love the siyats, when before I was just okay with them. Yeah, they're terrible, but that's what's great about them. It's an interesting and compelling dynamic. It kinda makes me want to write a fanfic where a green couple has an egg in secret and tries to raise it as a purple, but the purples find out and take the egg from them, but it's already too late for it to hatch blue, so they raise it as part of the aristocracy. Later in life, the adopted purple learns of its past and goes out to find its parents, and start a revolution from within.

Love the mimics too. The lore is great. 

Well, I'm almost hatchie-locked with high-ish timed hatchies, so I guess waiting for my spotted's times to get low enough to hatch purple isn't really going to be an issue since I wouldn't be able to hunt when they hatched anyways. Hatched a blue about an hour ago, have two fogged that should hatch purple in about 21 hours. This is an interesting mechanic, that's for sure. While it's sorta annoying to have eggslots tied up that extra amount of time in order to get blues or purples, if I can just re-train my mind to think I only have 7 slots instead of 8 I can always have one spotted fogged and waiting.

19 minutes ago, ViridianIgnis said:

Wow. The lore has made me love the siyats, when before I was just okay with them. Yeah, they're terrible, but that's what's great about them. It's an interesting and compelling dynamic. It kinda makes me want to write a fanfic where a green couple has an egg in secret and tries to raise it as a purple, but the purples find out and take the egg from them, but it's already too late for it to hatch blue, so they raise it as part of the aristocracy. Later in life, the adopted purple learns of its past and goes out to find its parents, and start a revolution from within.

Love the mimics too. The lore is great. 

I love that idea :D might have to dust off my describing skills and do something with one of my own dragons. VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

And I know Corteo walked back their comment, but when the spriter of a breed says the higher ranking ones forcefully take the weakers’ eggs it’s hard to forget, haha. THE TRUTH SHALL BE KNOWN! Let the green resistance begin! :P

(meanwhile Mimics are just here to eat everyone who dies along the way :’D)

While the female does look close to tipping over, after giving it some thought I think I've come to appreciate the pygmies. They're silly and ridiculous and I like it. As tiny, angry vampires this makes for some fun scenarios: Do they prey upon humans mainly, or other dragons? How does a swarm of pygmies disable a large adversary, 'death by a thousand cuts' perhaps? If you have a domesticated pygmy and it starts speaking in your own voice, do you channel your inner Bruce Willis and make a startling revelation? I think the S2 is my favorite, I'll have to remember to freeze a bunch.

The 3 color dragons (forgot their name) are fine. The adult sprites look like they're pushing a trolley or pram. Think I would've preferred dimorphism by color and/or have the blue be a bit more vibrant-- it struggles to shine next to those pretty purple and green shades imo. Maybe that was intended since they are the 'normal' variety.

I do like the ideas people have come up for their color-caste system. I see the green ones as being industrial, logic-driven thinkers who incubate their eggs quickly because time is money, got a schedule to keep, chop chop. Purples are the snooty, fanatically motivated weirdos who probably stayed in their eggs a bit too long and have a few screws loose. Purple is the royal color after all, and they won't have other dragons forget it. Blues are thankful they were the "baby bear" in this situation and aren't too stringent or too insane, they're just right.

27 minutes ago, skauble said:

i doubt that was the thinking behind the concept, but I like relative harmony in my cave, so this is how I'm rolling and I'm sticking to it! :P 

well, to be fair, in your cave anything goes =P

just becuase these new dragons are oppressive to each other in the wild has nothing to do with what your domesticated ones, raised differently by you, will be have in the cave

i dunno xD i just have a hard time imagining the wild dragons as anything other than what the spriters say they are

Corteo says the purples are tyrannical oppressors in the wild, so that's what i imagine xP but in my scroll, i'll raise them differently and they'll all be equal

The Mimic Dragon is very cute and kind of horrible, too. That description

4 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

I love that idea :D might have to dust off my describing skills and do something with one of my own dragons. VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

And I know Corteo walked back their comment, but when the spriter of a breed says the higher ranking ones forcefully take the weakers’ eggs it’s hard to forget, haha. THE TRUTH SHALL BE KNOWN! Let the green resistance begin! :P

(meanwhile Mimics are just here to eat everyone who dies along the way :’D)

Yeah I'm very much a believer in Word of God being canon. Albus Dumbledore is gay. Purple siyats are vicious and tyrannical. 

I got so wrapped up in the lore I forgot to ask my hatching based question. How do you make sure an egg hatches when you want it to? Do you fog it until four/five days for a purple, for example? Most eggs I put up at about six days, and they usually hatch at four.

1 minute ago, Sirithiliel said:

well, to be fair, in your cave anything goes =P

just becuase these new dragons are oppressive to each other in the wild has nothing to do with what your domesticated ones, raised differently by you, will be have in the cave

i dunno xD i just have a hard time imagining the wild dragons as anything other than what the spriters say they are

Corteo says the purples are tyrannical oppressors in the wild, so that's what i imagine xP but in my scroll, i'll raise them differently and they'll all be equal

Yeah, I get that. I think it's cool how everyone has run with the hierarchy idea and already started resistances. XD

If I was suggesting a BSA or writing a description for my page or doing a lineage project with other folks, I'd definitely go with something that better slotted into the more established and accepted cave lore. But in my head cannon I often try to find loopholes to make almost all my dragons get along. My only real sad stories are the NDs and sometimes I make those happy too. lol  It's a tiny utopia in my little hole in the mountain!

2 minutes ago, ViridianIgnis said:

I got so wrapped up in the lore I forgot to ask my hatching based question. How do you make sure an egg hatches when you want it to? Do you fog it until four/five days for a purple, for example? Most eggs I put up at about six days, and they usually hatch at four.

Blues are the 4 days left ones. Purples you have to hold on until they have 3 days left, it seems.

Well yeah, that's when they hatch. I would assume that you can't gain enough views to hatch them in a single day, however, so I was wondering when it was best to put them up on sites.