TJ09

2018-07-29 - July Dragon Release (Part 2)

I love new releases. The AP is lit. I've picked up 3 hatchlings(black- but I love em) and a gold egg in the past 20 minutes. 

6 minutes ago, Stellalunastorm said:

I love new releases. The AP is lit. I've picked up 3 hatchlings(black- but I love em) and a gold egg in the past 20 minutes. 

Same! Just grabbed a very messy black hatchling for freezing. 

2 hours ago, Naughtrish said:

Well, here's my two useless cents. I collect the new breeds and wait for the clever people to figure out how to get the different variants. Relax! 😘

Couldn't have put it better myself!

Just now, HeatherMarie said:

Same! Just grabbed a very messy black hatchling for freezing. 

Yep! All super messies. I wonder if they're fromthe same person

3 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

the problem with those annoying gimmicky mechanics is that some of them are needlessly complex for such a basic game. WHY do we have to know what phase the moon is in to continue a lineage? Why does a dragon's breeding mechanics have to be kept super secret so that, evne years later, we STILL can't figure it out and make lineages properly?

I do agree about the dark luminas.  I refuse to breed them (or stripes or gemshards etc) for lineages.  Every fail is a week added before I can try again.  For that reason, I much prefer the time based ones.  I have those  little rotating things in my siggy.  It's a matter of taking a quick glance and waiting for the proper hour (firegems) or day (lunar heralds)   Someone will figure it out, and when they do, I will make lineages or simply collect my scroll goals and let them be. 

I keep checking hatcheries to see what color the spotteds are hatching as now. Still green! Crossing fingers that there will be a different color hatching after midnight tonight. 

speculation time!

So IF we go with the theory that TJ's hatched all purple because of the day it was, and then the next day was a different color (being blue), and then all our eggs hatched green, then at midnight eggs should hatch blue, and tomorrow's eggs hatch purple

possibly...

and if it works like that, then i have 3 purples, since i grabbed them today and they won't hatch for 2 days

just idle speculation, i could (and probably am) completely wrong =P

Edited by Sirithiliel

I think day based is most likely because:

-TJ's hatched purple on day 1

-nothing hatched on day 2 (could be any color, but I think it was blue)

-everyone else's hatched green on day 3

still all speculation, sadly.

Edited by Vict
typo

1 minute ago, Sirithiliel said:

speculation time!

So IF we go with the theory that TJ's hatched all purple because of the day it was, and then the next day was a different color (being blue), and then all our eggs hatched green, then at midnight eggs should hatch blue, and tomorrow's eggs hatch purple

possibly...

and if it works like that, then i have 3 purples, since i grabbed them today and they won't hatch for 2 days

just idle speculation, i could (and probably am) completely wrong =P

If my theory is correct, purples should be the next color, then blue, then green, then purple, etc. Have to wait awhile to see if I am correct (along with others in here).

So wait, the colors rotate daily? Or am I missing something?

Just now, Cjcrazy said:

So wait, the colors rotate daily? Or am I missing something?

no one knows until eggs hatch at midnight DC time tonight

this is all just speculation until then

I was impatient and incubated all my spotted eggs and hatched them this morning.  Will check hatcheries tomorrow morning.  Really hope to see different colour spotted by then.

On 7/28/2018 at 10:00 PM, Whirlaway said:

This egg seems to be glowing in spots. Located in Alpine, Coast and Forest. Sorts between Sinomorph and Skywing. This egg can be bitten.

This tiny glowing egg tempts you to follow its light. Located in Forest and Jungle. Sorts between Purple and Pyralsprite.

I don't think there has been much name guessing yet, unless I lost it in all these pages.   Any (more) ideas?

So far 2 different biomes have hatched green today

Edited by Merlot

7 minutes ago, Merlot said:

So far 2 different biomes have hatched green today

3 different biomes. I have 5 green bellied hatchlings, 2 from forest, 2 from alpine, 1 from coast, all hatched today.

If the murder chicken sorts after Purple, it could have a name starting with Purple.... Purple Poultry? Kidding! Purple People Eater? ... Okay, apparently I'm not capable of serious name guesses right now. But based on the way Blacks, Black Teas, etc sort, it definitely could start with Purple.

1 minute ago, HeatherMarie said:

If the murder chicken sorts after Purple, it could have a name starting with Purple.... Purple Poultry? Kidding! Purple People Eater? ... Okay, apparently I'm not capable of serious name guesses right now. But based on the way Blacks, Black Teas, etc sort, it definitely could start with Purple.

Realistically it's either "Pu" or "Py", so Purple is looking pretty likely. I kinda love Purple People Eater :D ..... Purple Harpy?

2 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

your definitely not capable of coming up with plausible names, but thanks for the laugh :)

I have two that hatched today, both green. I have a third egg, which is ready to hatch that I hid, and will unhide tomorrow to see if it hatches green (color depends on the day snatched) or if it’s a different color (color depends on day hatched)

hmm, actually thinking about it... I’d need to hide it for two days, because tomorrow (if it cycles) would be day three.

Edited by almne

A light that tempts you to follow it, in the Ps, makes me think of Pookas (pucas, pucks, etc, however you want to spell it) but all of those would come before purples, not after.  Hmm.

8 hours ago, Seriva Senkalora said:

But how boring would this really simple game be, if everything is known and follows the same, predictable rules? :)

YES !

7 hours ago, Coheart said:

I don't know. I think the surprise and mystery is part of the fun. I wish I could figure out how to get what I want right away, but we are mages in a world of dragons! And lore-wise, we are stealing a new breed of dragon from their mothers. We wouldn't know all the ins and outs of how they work right away. We have to research and study, record on our scrolls, work together. I wouldn't want TJ to just post a new release with a calendar like, "Here you guys go! This is how to get exactly what you want!" I mean we can figure this out. This community is super smart. I'm sure it won't be long till we put the pieces together and there will be multi-colored sprites for everyone. 

Don't let the mystery die. Surprise releases and puzzles are the only thing that gets my heart pumping anymore.

This too.

6 hours ago, Lantean_Pegasus said:

I beg to differ.

This game doesn't just "exist for collecting sprites". At least not solely. And yes, it is about collecting sprites and breeding them. But that doesn't imply that you can catch OR breed anything you want at any time you want.

I'm sure there are games out there that meet this criteria. BUT...

This is Dragon Cave. No more, no less.

It is a game about collecting sprites, some of them at any given time, others only at specific times of the day/month/year. Some of them are very easy to get, others very hard.

It is also a game about breeding said sprites to each other. (If it wasn't, there wouldn't be mechanics to do so.) Again, some of them at any given time, others only at specific times (like holidayxholiday). Some of them are very easy to breed, others very hard (commons vs. rares, for example). And some breeding results can only be achieved by breeding at specific times.

These "mystery mechanisms" (or whatever people may call them) are an inherent part of the game called "Dragon Cave", have been for quite a long time now. So when you decide to play DC, you decide to play a game with certain rules and mechanisms. You can like or dislike them, sure, but you can't just declare that those rules and mechanisms have no place in this game, just because other games that share some elements (like sprite collecting) don't have them.

Doing some "research", as you call it, is also part of the game. Like feeding your critters is part of other games. Though I must say, with the forums and the wiki in place, all you have to do is using about 5 minutes to look up any given mechanism, and then proceed accordingly.

DC never said anywhere "get anything you want at any time you want". On the contrary, it uses a variety of mechanisms you have to take into consideration. Like time and view limits (minimum/maximum) on hatching and growing, cooldown for breeding and BSAs, dragons that appear/hatch/breed differently by time of day/month/year.

That's the game it is, those are the rules and mechanisms it has. If it didn't have all this, it would be another game.

So, the new mystery mechanic...

What options do we have:

- Time of Day (hour or day/night) when caught or when hatched

- Moon phases

- Seasons

- Use of (specific?) BSAs

- Biomes (seem to be out as single factor)

- Elements (not sure how they could figure into this, though)

- Scroll trophies (quite sure that won't mix in, but it came to mind)

- Combinations of any of the above

Looking at all that (and not finding it very helpful):

What if every dragon just goes through all the colours with time ?!

Like the Nocturnes (Oh, same spriter, look at that ! 🙂 ) Only with another timeframe than day/night. Maybe weekly ? So one week they are green, then they are blue, then purple, then green again and so on...

Or maybe, instead of weeks, the moon phases come in here. Seasons seem unlikely, because there are four of them, and only three colours. And three different colours during the day (day/night/dawn&dusk) seem a bit much.

That would be quite cool, I think ! (And it would give all colours as CBs despite all hatching green right now.)

Long post quoted in full as it is spot in and people may have missed these words of wisdom.

3 hours ago, Naughtrish said:

Well, here's my two useless cents. I collect the new breeds and wait for the clever people to figure out how to get the different variants. Relax! 😘

This is the way I play it too. Collect the eggs and wait to see what best to do with them.

And thanks very much to Corteo for the highlighted post.

It's probably been mentioned (usually everything has by this point in a long thread), but I think it would be interesting if the colors were based on how long the dragons stayed in the egg. So green would be if you hatch a day early with incubate, Then blue a day later and purple if you wait an extra day over breeding time.

I know some people find mechanisms like that annoying, and I can totally sympathize because there have been things in the game that have interrupted my plans and I've shaken my fist at them for doing so. But I do think that it's not necessarily a flaw that some mechanics, life Gemshard colors, can take more time because unintended colors can show up, rather it's meant to extend gameplay. So a predictable lineage might take 4 months to breed, while an unpredictable/time based lineage might that 8. I get that how that can be frustrating because it seems like one is the standard and the other is, therefore, too long, but it's been my experience with other games that variables like that can give players longer term goals. Again, I get how frustrating it can be in various situations, but I also see a value in it's inclusion in the game.

I would still love it if the spots would change according to what will hatch. So say if it were based on the length of time in the egg, then hatching with incubation would show the green on top, once it's been long enough that the egg would hatch blue, the blue is the top spot, and once it will hatch purple the purple spot is on top. That's probably not going to happen, but I'd love for it to.

Also, I'm really loving these so far, partially because I adore the color combo of the wings. I haven't gotten pygmies yet (I collect them more slowly) but their cute poofy bodies make me want to cuddle them! :wub:

1 minute ago, Gryphonic said:

A light that tempts you to follow it, in the Ps, makes me think of Pookas (pucas, pucks, etc, however you want to spell it) but all of those would come before purples, not after.  Hmm.

I thought of that too, it's not an unlikely inspiration. Purple Pooka?

3 minutes ago, skauble said:

It's probably been mentioned (usually everything has by this point in a long thread), but I think it would be interesting if the colors were based on how long the dragons stayed in the egg. So green would be if you hatch a day early with incubate, Then blue a day later and purple if you wait an extra day over breeding time.

I know some people find mechanisms like that annoying, and I can totally sympathize because there have been things in the game that have interrupted my plans and I've shaken my fist at them for doing so. But I do think that it's not necessarily a flaw that some mechanics, life Gemshard colors, can take more time because unintended colors can show up, rather it's meant to extend gameplay. So a predictable lineage might take 4 months to breed, while an unpredictable/time based lineage might that 8. I get that how that can be frustrating because it seems like one is the standard and the other is, therefore, too long, but it's been my experience with other games that variables like that can give players longer term goals. Again, I get how frustrating it can be in various situations, but I also see a value in it's inclusion in the game.

I would still love it if the spots would change according to what will hatch. So say if it were based on the length of time in the egg, then hatching with incubation would show the green on top, once it's been long enough that the egg would hatch blue, the blue is the top spot, and once it will hatch purple the purple spot is on top. That's probably not going to happen, but I'd love for it to.

Also, I'm really loving these so far, partially because I adore the color combo of the wings. I haven't gotten pygmies yet (I collect them more slowly) but their cute poofy bodies make me want to cuddle them! :wub:

I would really like that mechanic and find it cool if there were just two variants - so hatching with and without Incubate. But a third color means you would have to fog it or not put it in a hatchery... I like to be able to deposit my eggs in hatcheries and forget about them for a few days. It would be pretty annoying to have to stay on top of that purple.

I would like those sorts of mechanics more if there was more transparency about it.

Of course, I don't hope for them to just be blunt about those, but at least give us a solid clue instead of a vague "ah, it's time based" or "yes, you'll be able to get all colors as CB"