TJ09

2018-07-29 - July Dragon Release (Part 2)

30 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

..... Gemshards in particular are a nightmare—having an only 1/3 success rate and wasting time every set of the way is NOT FUN in a pick up and go game),  ....

That's better than Stripped's 1/5 chance.  Even than, the odds are not always with you .... https://dragcave.net/progeny/50LRQ

I have hatchlings, all green like everyone else’s... and the adorable pygmies^^ caught some more on the coffee break at work and now I found a Dino...! I read the description for so long before I realized....

I love green spinels and I’m glad they are common! I have a pb fifth gen but my phone won’t let me post the link^^*

Edited by Chaegyung
Phone stupid

1 minute ago, teresadurfin said:

That's better than Stripped's 1/5 chance.  Even than, the odds are not always with you .... https://dragcave.net/progeny/50LRQ

Forgot about PB stripes. At least you know right away if you failed or not, though, versus having to hatch the darn things. >__<

Just now, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Forgot about PB stripes. At least you know right away if you failed or not, though, versus having to hatch the darn things. >__<

Indeed and for that reason, I have no, absolutely zero, plan to have gemshard in any lineage project.  But I do admire people who are brave enough to do so.

48 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

I think people are just seeing the game inherently different ways.

95% of my time on DC, aside from special cases like holidays, probably comes in the form of quick 5 minute sessions. DC is pretty simple and not exactly highly interactive, so there’s not much to make me stay longer. So while things like Lunar Heralds and Dark Luminas SOUND like cool mechanics, when you get a Dark Lumina in your previously reliable Lumina lineage for two months straight, or miss a Lunar Herald window and have to wait three weeks to try again... it’s annoying. I already have some pairings I’ve been trying to get to cooperate for a LITERAL YEAR, so when you add extra conditions on top of it...

And that’s just talking about the more reasonable mechanics, to say nothing of Fire Gems and Gemshards (completely arbitrary, and Gemshards in particular are a nightmare—having an only 1/3 success rate and wasting time every set of the way is NOT FUN in a pick up and go game), Aegises (where a single button pressed by another user can ruin your lineage, but you have no choice but to rely on others due to arbitrary scroll limits), Solstices (had a dumb twist unaccounced in the first year, ruined literally half of people’s once a year breeding plans, got zero remorse from the spriter about needlessly tripping people up). 

I like DC. But as life goes on and real life gets ever more busy for me, a lot of mechanics in an otherwise simple game that tend to make me lose time are a little irksome. Obviously some feel differently, but that’s how I feel. Interesting obtaining mechanics are cool in theory, but the majority seem designed to just cause annoyance.

you always word things so much better than i do. This 100%.  

For those of us that make lineages, these kinds of mechanics pretty much ruin a breed. I'm not keeping a calendar and a phases of the moon chart to do a lineage. Sorry, that is NOT fun to me. I don't do Aegis lineages not started by me, because one person could ruin it by Enraging their Aegis, and bye-bye lineage. Dark Luminas have been out for a long while now and no one STILL knows how they work, so what's fun about that? Years later and it's still a mystery, is that really fun? 

you might find complaining on the forums annoying, but i find intolerance of other's opinions and trying to stifle any discussion over aspects of the game that bother us annoying. Let people have their opinions lol. 

Edited by Sirithiliel

Are any of the new ones still dropping? I went to snag some more and haven't seen a whisker.

14 minutes ago, Oddsoxdi said:

Are any of the new ones still dropping? I went to snag some more and haven't seen a whisker.

they do, just caught two pygmies and one with the glow points, see them a lot on the 5mins drop, but they seem highly wanted, so difficult to catch^^ And the bad lag doesn't help it.

Edited by Kiwiana

42 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

I think people are just seeing the game inherently different ways.

95% of my time on DC, aside from special cases like holidays, probably comes in the form of quick 5 minute sessions. DC is pretty simple and not exactly highly interactive, so there’s not much to make me stay longer. So while things like Lunar Heralds and Dark Luminas SOUND like cool mechanics, when you get a Dark Lumina in your previously reliable Lumina lineage for two months straight, or miss a Lunar Herald window and have to wait three weeks to try again... it’s annoying. I already have some pairings I’ve been trying to get to cooperate for a LITERAL YEAR, so when you add extra conditions on top of it...

And that’s just talking about the more reasonable mechanics, to say nothing of Fire Gems and Gemshards (completely arbitrary, and Gemshards in particular are a nightmare—having an only 1/3 success rate and wasting time every set of the way is NOT FUN in a pick up and go game), Aegises (where a single button pressed by another user can ruin your lineage, but you have no choice but to rely on others due to arbitrary scroll limits), Solstices (had a dumb twist unaccounced in the first year, ruined literally half of people’s once a year breeding plans, got zero remorse from the spriter about needlessly tripping people up). 

I like DC. But as life goes on and real life gets ever more busy for me, a lot of mechanics in an otherwise simple game that tend to make me lose time are a little irksome. Obviously some feel differently, but that’s how I feel. Interesting obtaining mechanics are cool in theory, but the majority seem designed to just cause annoyance.

This pretty much sums up how I feel. I avoid breeds with these sorts of mechanics when coming up with lineages, which makes me glad I didn't have any Lumina lineages in the works when the Dark Luminas were introduced. I like the occasional alt or color variation based on biome, but anything much more complicated than that just puts me off the breed. It's a shame because these new dragons look really cool so far, and I'm excited to see the adults, but I really doubt I'll end up breeding them or collecting many more than my usual number of CBs and 3 frozen hatchlings.

On the other hand, I'm really excited for these new pygmies and I hope they stay very purple as adults! I love the way Kyanites pair with male Dark Mysts and I've been hoping for a counterpart for female Dark Mysts for a while. I love the Halloween feel they have, too!

Just found out about this release. Is there anything that makes people think the glowing ones will be colored based on time, aside from TJ's post about making up for lost "time"? My first impression was that it's based on biome... There are 3 colors and 3 biomes, and it would seem fitting for it to be alpine=purple, coast=blue, and forest=green.

1 minute ago, cbussiere said:

Just found out about this release. Is there anything that makes people think the glowing ones will be colored based on time, aside from TJ's post about making up for lost "time"? My first impression was that it's based on biome... There are 3 colors and 3 biomes, and it would seem fitting for it to be alpine=purple, coast=blue, and forest=green.

doesn't work, every egg has hatched green, regardless of what Biome they are from. 

It isn't hourly like Fire Gems

It doesn't look to be every 8 hours based on people's comments earlier this morning

So only greens until now? :)

Well then I at least almost got my CB ratio of them fullfilled xD xD

@Sirithiliel Right! I didn't realize enough time had passed for people's eggs to start hatching.

Might be cool for it to cycle by date. We already have short-term cycles in Fire Gems and Sunrises/sets, and long-term cycles in Seasonals and Lunar Heralds.

I am wondering... so we are CERTAIN the variants on the spotties aren't biome based?

1 minute ago, JavaTigress said:

I am wondering... so we are CERTAIN the variants on the spotties aren't biome based?

So far it looks like they all hatch the same. People have reported green babies in all three biomes and I don't think anyone has reported a blue or purple hatchie yet.

1 minute ago, JavaTigress said:

if you check a fan site, you find green (and only green) hatchlings, from all three biomes

If it was biome based, we would be seeing green, blue, and purple hatchlings already.

4 minutes ago, JavaTigress said:

yes. Every hatchling that has been reported / seen in hatching sites is green, no matter what biome they are from

Hmmm... Then I am going to fog two pairs of mine, and let two hatch tomorrow and another two the day after and see what I get. Two I will allow to hatch today, and I will try two the next.

I am going with the theory, then, that it cycles by days, so that all eggies that hatch today will hatch green.

Edited by JavaTigress

Just now, JavaTigress said:

Hmmm... Then I am going to fog two pairs of mine, and let two hatch tomorrow and see what I get. Two I will allow to hatch today, and I will try two the next.

I am going with the theory, then, that it cycles by days, so that all eggies that hatch today will hatch green.

i wish you luck, but i'm not sure on that theory either. Everything that has hatched last night and today has been green, and so far things hatching today have been green too, so i'm thinking if it's day-based it's a longer time period than just a single day. 

it can't be seasonal, because there'd be 4 of them then

If it cycles by date, I'm glad I've already got eggs from two different days. I'll probably just grab another glowing spots egg today right before bed so that I'll have the third one too in case new colors do appear tomorrow. If they don't, I'm probably going to try hatching them at different ages to test out the theory Mangrit suggested on page 24. In any case, I'll report my discoveries here if there's still no clarity of the pattern by the time I see what my eggs hatch into.

I can add another green baby to the list. My first one just hatched. I really do like the black and green color combo. I just hope we can figure out "the mystery of the glowy" soon.

6 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

i wish you luck, but i'm not sure on that theory either. Everything that has hatched last night and today has been green, and so far things hatching today have been green too, so i'm thinking if it's day-based it's a longer time period than just a single day. 

Uggg. I would HATE if IF I had to go and hunt more of things  just to hope to have all the colors. 

I am sorely tempted to toss my extra eggs, now. :P

Edited by JavaTigress

Had two green ones hatch around 3d16h left, so now I'm fogging and going to stall the others to see if they hatch different. Probably doesn't matter, it's probably related to something like day of the week, or hour, or if it's cloudy outside. But I figure it doesn't hurt to try, since I think all eggs have to hit 3d23h before they can technically hatch, and 3d, 2d, 1d hatching timers would fit three outcomes. I really hope I'm wrong though, since having to hang onto an egg for longer than 4 days for a certain color is ... annoying, to say the least.

I dislike overly annoying mechanics, tbh. I want to grab eggs without having to think about DC's "lore" or moon cycles or whatever, so I can go play fun games with my time. I would've preferred them being colored according to biome since that's a simple, basic premise even I can manage to track. Thank goodness there are people with more tolerance to annoying things than myself, because I still wouldn't have figured out the lunar cycle deal on my own.

16 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

Things couldn't hatch before exactly midnight cave time, so everything that's hatched so far has still been on the same day (July 31st, cave time).

13 minutes ago, Nine said:

Had two green ones hatch around 3d16h left, so now I'm fogging and going to stall the others to see if they hatch different. Probably doesn't matter, it's probably related to something like day of the week, or hour, or if it's cloudy outside. But I figure it doesn't hurt to try, since I think all eggs have to hit 3d23h before they can technically hatch, and 3d, 2d, 1d hatching timers would fit three outcomes. I really hope I'm wrong though, since having to hang onto an egg for longer than 4 days for a certain color is ... annoying, to say the least.

I dislike overly annoying mechanics, tbh. I want to grab eggs without having to think about DC's "lore" or moon cycles or whatever, so I can go play fun games with my time. I would've preferred them being colored according to biome since that's a simple, basic premise even I can manage to track. Thank goodness there are people with more tolerance to annoying things than myself, because I still wouldn't have figured out the lunar cycle deal on my own.

oh i hope it's not 3d, 2d, and 1d hatching requirements......