deku

Messaging system on dragcave website

4 minutes ago, Confused Cat said:

It may also be completely unrelated to users and their age.

I'm not sure if it's okay to speculate about this, but since it's a guess anybody could make and it's not like I'm revealing a big secret: maybe if you work at social network company, you have to agree not to add "social features" to any projects you make in your free time? That would be a very good reason for the "hard no".

TJ's allowing social media quick links for dragons, so it's a little late to keep holding onto that hard no stance. Other pet sites, like Chicken Smoothie, have integrated forums and onsite messaging and have clear rules for COPPA players (those who are 13 or under). It's not that hard to abide by the system if handled correctly.

48 minutes ago, Sextonator said:

Sounds like figuring out how to safely allow messaging is going to be a challenge, then.

COPPA ruling on the .gov website For reference.

I may have misunderstood this rule due to English not being my native language, but does COPPA not only apply to "websites directed to" children of 12 years or less? If so, DC doesn't really fit the mold, does it?

It applies to websites where children are likely to show up, I think.

COPPA imposes certain requirements on operators of websites or online services directed to children under 13 years of age, and on operators of other websites or online services that have actual knowledge that they are collecting personal information online from a child under 13 years of age.

DC knows very well that under 13s play and is not, I think, likely to try and ban them. Even if they did - well, as TJ, even if I said no under 13s, I wouldn't  take a chance; it is the kind of game that appeals to youngsters. And youngsters under 13 are not SUPPOSED to be on most social media sites.

Facebook's Statement of Rights and Responsibilities require users of the social network to be at least 13 years old (and even older, in some jurisdictions).

While Twitter has always required its users to be 13 years old or older, new GDPR rules add further protection for internet users under the age of 13. With the new regulations, Twitter cannot legally keep content that was posted by a user when they were under the age of 13 on its site.

on Facebook the minimum age requirement is a hard and fast 13. It’s the same number on Instagram, Pinterest, Tumblr, Reddit, Snapchat and Secret, too.

Curiously, the minimum age on LinkedIn is 14. On WhatsApp it’s 16, and on Vine it’s 17. Some platforms, such as YouTube, WeChat and Kik, have a minimum age required of 18, although kids aged 13-17 can signup with parent’s permission.

I absolutely support TJ in whatever COPPA stance he takes, so that the game isn't put at risk.

But given all this, the way forward would seem to be to have he ability to accept PART of a trade, and a few standard drop-down messages traders can use.

I am (egg) locked

You are (egg) locked

Other things don't need messaging as such: if we get a "have" box (or  want is changed to "notes") we can include things like:

Solstice - blue

ND ungendered

I know people want to add things like influenced female and the rest - but one cannot cover everything.  MAYBE allow Aeons to precog something that's up for trade ? but other than that - there really isn't that much NEED for actual messaging.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

What about having a drop down list per egg that shows if it’s precogged or if it’s cb/bred? 

That works for me :)

But being able to do it yourself - let us just say that someone was posting VERY angrily here a while back saying she had been TOLD a hatchie had been precogged and it wasn't what she had been told it was, and she was livid because she felt she had been scammed. Traders have been known to tell untruths... (OR even make mistakes, says she who realised to her horror yesterday that she had actually misinfluenced something - I knew I had done it; it gendered wrong; I looked back in my log, ready for an It's so UNJUST  tantrum (I KNOW influence isn't 100% but still) and sure enough I did it wrong. In threads we can post images from the log - that will never work in the hub.

Or, apart from just allowing precognition on eggs/S1s in trades, also show if they have been precogged - or, in the case of hatchlings, influenced. Automatically. (Status of influence is unnecessary because influence wears off when an egg gets teleported, so it's not an issue anyway.)

I would honestly love if there were little info snippets about eggs/hatchies in a trade. Maybe just some simple symbols? Like a pink eye for precog'd female/a blue eye for precog'd male - since those colors are generally symbolic and understood. Then a little egg symbol for bred or no egg symbol for not bred. It would also kind of be a lot easier if, y'know, precog and influence could have the same symbol - aka influence being failproof. I don't really see why it can't be, it would be a minor change for the sake of a more fluid trading experience, sans necessary messaging.

something like this awful quick mockup: PepRP3M.png

Edited by Alrexwolf

10 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

It applies to websites where children are likely to show up, I think.

I don't remember but I thought that if you were under 13 you have to lie about your age to play on this site?

Therefore you're giving up any COPPA protection >.>

But yeah I'd love some solid "this egg was actually influenced" instead of having to reply on the other user's trustfulness. Even if that means the influence might fail, because it might.

If you are talking of eggs, influence drops once teleported and isn't failsafe.  Precognition would be the only thing potentially useful with an egg.  But that could be foiled if the egg was first influenced and then pre'cogged from the seller's end.   Even if the prospective buyer were able to use their aeon on an egg in teleport, would it read the current influence or what that egg would truly be without an influence?  Catch 22.

Edited by Dracaena

If you are trading eggs it doesn't make a whit of difference whether the egg was influenced or not. But if you are trading an S1 hatchie then it does matter. As Dracaena says, an egg loses its influence in transfer anyway.

While it is technically valid to "check in" from time to time, in this case the state of things has not changed from my last statement, so there's really no point in allowing further discussion. @Confused Cat does have the right of it, though.

On 2/13/2018 at 10:15 PM, TJ09 said:

Social features like friending or messaging cannot be supported as a matter of overall policy, so I'm going to close this. Since this is a hard no for reasons outside of my hands, I'm also closing the thread.