Sextonator

Change log for the little things

So, I keep hearing that transparency is an issue, so i thought, why not a change log? Doesn’t have to be spoilers, like working on releases, or coding new features, but things like “Read reports” or “Fixed some minor bugs” “Minor code optimization.” “Checked out suggestions.” “Looked at dragons” “bred more thuweds”

Lets us know what’s going on, and stuff. I don’t think it has to be updated everytime something’s done, but maybe at least once a week?

I'm not saying I don't support this idea, but from my experience at other sites, asking for regular logs like that can actually slow down any sort of progress. I mean, in general, any time spent on cataloging tiny little things like that is time that could probably be better used actually *doing* the things instead of stopping to catalog everything. Also, this might be just me but I know I personally would feel more pressure to do things quickly and to keep everything up to date and such if I knew that tons of people were constantly checking some progress-log, and that's not necessarily a good thing. Also, regardless of what *is* in the log, users will probably complain about what *isn't* in the log (why did TJ post in a suggestions thread but not put that in the log? Does not logging 'looked at suggestions' mean he hasn't looked at all? What does this log mean, what does that log mean, does that log about coding mean something new is coming? Etc etc). I don't know, I just feel like it's not necessary and would probably be more drama-inducing then drama-calming. Just my opinion of course.

Edited by HeatherMarie

I honestly don't see how this increases transparency. The log entries are too nonspecific to do anything except prove that TJ has spent a few minutes of his time doing something and then had to spend more of his precious time reporting it.  I feel like it will just raise more questions than it answers and increase speculation, without satisfying anyone.

Edited by purplehaze

I don’t think taking 2-3 minutes to say “x was done.” every now and then isn’t that big of a deal. It’s not like I’m asking for everything to be logged, I’d just like a sentence or two when the smaller updates happen, like bug fixes or optimizations, or tweaks. I just think it’ll help knowing how often he works on the site, or does other things. It’s really up to the users to decide if something is really worth commenting on. I know I’d at least appreciate knowing he took the time to look at suggestions, or knowing he took a look at x or y.

Honestly, I think a lot of users (me included) would be more frustrated to see, say, 'looked at suggestions' in the log but know that he didn't actually comment on a favorite suggestion. I also think there could be a lot of frustration/irritation/etc when it comes to the idea of a log showing how often TJ works on the site or how often he *doesn't* work on the site, or that he did such-and-such but didn't do such-and-such. Transparency when it comes to things like explaining new changes or explaining his stance on a suggestion, that's the sort of transparency most people are wanting. I don't see how a tiny-things log like this would help with the bigger transparency issues, and how it *wouldn't* lead to users getting annoyed with what is or isn't in the log.

TJ doesn’t comment right away, he lurks and sees what the users discuss, how they feel about something. That’s how he takes things into consideration. At least, I’m pretty sure that’s his approach to suggestions. Knowing he’s looked at and could be contemplating/considering suggestions is, in my opinion, something positive and lets me know he is taking our wants into consideration.

Knowing how often he does or does not work on the site also helps kind of figure out how long it might acually take to implement something, or make sure something is working properly before implementation.

Any thing that isn't completely automated is probably too much overhead.

For the forums, there's a very real reason that I browse in private mode, and it's exactly the same thing @HeatherMarie mentioned: people saw me browse threads and started talking about how I was clearly aware of the idea and still didn't implement it. Heck, that still happens for things I do post in.

I have to agree with Heather and TJ. I can't see that such a log would have any real value at all.

5 hours ago, TJ09 said:

Any thing that isn't completely automated is probably too much overhead.

For the forums, there's a very real reason that I browse in private mode, and it's exactly the same thing @HeatherMarie mentioned: people saw me browse threads and started talking about how I was clearly aware of the idea and still didn't implement it. Heck, that still happens for things I do post in.

What do you mean by too much overhead? That’s not a term I’m familiar with?

And tbh forum browsing isn’t nearly as important as knowing site work has been done. I’d be happy with “worked on site” or “checked x reports.” “Something worth mentioning but not important enough for a news post.”

I REALLY can't see that it's important for TJ to post "checked forums." I bet he does so every day. Or even worked on site - I have no doubt he does so when he has the time. That's all we can expect, really - and I'd rather he did stuff than took the time posting a log of it.

On 7/27/2018 at 8:05 AM, Sextonator said:

What do you mean by too much overhead? That’s not a term I’m familiar with?

And tbh forum browsing isn’t nearly as important as knowing site work has been done. I’d be happy with “worked on site” or “checked x reports.” “Something worth mentioning but not important enough for a news post.”

Overhead is basically extra time spent, that wouldn't be spent otherwise. Ie: TJ taking the time to write out the logs manually.

Not sure if this is exactly what the thread is getting at, but I’ll mention it anyway: I really think that forum threads should be closed if the issue is fixed. Such as a suggestion thread about a minor thing which ends up being implemented or fixed, should then be commented on and notified about being resolved instead of silently locked or left to rot

On 7/31/2018 at 2:02 PM, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

Not sure if this is exactly what the thread is getting at, but I’ll mention it anyway: I really think that forum threads should be closed if the issue is fixed. Such as a suggestion thread about a minor thing which ends up being implemented or fixed, should then be commented on and notified about being resolved instead of silently locked or left to rot

Tbh that would be gr8 and I'm sure TJ could be like hey mods can u note I fixed X real quicc?