Jack_Indivisible

The Blocker Breeding Bonanza!

Blocker Breeding Bonanza

In the Blocker Breeding Bonanza, breed cave blocking dragons to earn tickets to win one of our fabulous prizes! Once bred, simply place at least one of the parents into a public group and post the group to the thread.

The Motivation: If there's one thing the players of dragon cave can agree on, it's that the ratios are bad. Ratios are the "set points" for how many of each dragon are supposed to be in the cave. For example, suppose there are 100 dragons in the cave. As an example, let's say the ratios say for every hundred dragons, 1 of them are supposed to be gold, 2 of them silver, and 10 of them sunstone. However, by breeding and catching dragons, the reality can be that there are 5 golds, 10 silver, and only 5 sunstone. The cave will react by making gold and silver eggs drop in the biomes much much rarely and making gold and silver dragons much harder to breed, while at the same time making sunstone dragons much easier to breed and drop much more frequently.

When a dragon is uncommon, players preferentially breed the dragons they already have on hand, removing eggs that would have been dropped in the cave out of the running, rendering the dragons even more valuable, rarer, and driving even more intense exploitation of the dragons already on the scroll. Simultaneously, common dragons are considered valueless, rotting in the caves and passed over for breeding opportunities. This, of course, leads to cave blockers becoming even more common and less desired. It's a vicious feedback loop, leading to the cave we see today.

Merely catching eggs is insufficient to correct the ratios, as even a platinum trophy, dedicated solely to catching and abandoning eggs, can only remove around 24 eggs a day from the cave (32 if they don't have a good sleep schedule). If they have to raise them it becomes even worse, at only 4 eggs a day. Focusing on ap eggs increases efficiency to 8 eggs a day. However, many of those eggs would have grown into adults anyways, so it's hard to estimate how many dragons are actually saved from neglect, zombification, or biting. While addressing the symptoms, this is not an effective method to treat the ratios.

The Contest: In contrast, breeding allows an unlimited number of dragons to be introduced into the cave by a single person. Even if they are egglocked, a player can take a step towards improving the ratios. That's where the Blocker Breeding Bonanza comes in. Breed blockers off your scroll during the current month to be entered into a raffle to win fabulous prizes! Each blocker bred puts their ticket amount into the raffle.  Each entrant can only get one prize per drawing. Blockers are counted at the end of the month, so only dragons that make it till then are counted. Ensuring that they have clean or interesting lineages is a good way to improve the odds that they make it. 

Breeding Even One Dragon Means You're Eligible To Enter!

Blockers:

11 Tickets: Moon/Sunstone user posted imageuser posted image

9 Tickets: Pyrovar Pyrovar_egg.gif Horse user posted image Frilled user posted image

8 Tickets: Razorcrest Razorcrest_Wyvern_egg.gif Freckled Freckled_egg.png Guardian user posted image

7 Tickets: Bright Breasted user posted image Melismor Melismor_egg.png 

6 Tickets: Spitfire user posted image Coastal Waverunner user posted image Harvest user posted image Leodon Leodon_egg.gif Waterhorse user posted image Water user posted image 

5 Tickets: Brimstone user posted image Deep Sea user posted image Skywing user posted image Canopy user posted image Nocturne user posted image Black Capped Teimarr user posted image Speckle Throated user posted image Lacula Lacula_egg.gif Turp user posted image Swallowtail user posted image 

4 Tickets: Seragamma user posted image Red-Finned Tidal user posted image Neotropical user posted image Gold Horned Tangar user posted image Tetra user posted image Brute user posted image Black Tea user posted image 

3 Tickets: Blacktip user posted image Nilia Pygmy user posted image Antarean user posted image Royal Crimson user posted image Hooktalon user posted image Whiptail user posted image Spotted Drake user posted image Tatterdrake latest?cb=20180422064035 Tri-horn user posted image Misfit Pygmy user posted image Ochredrake user posted image Ember user posted image Crimson Flare user posted image Bleeding Moon user posted image Hellfire user posted image Olive user posted image Sinii Krai user posted image Electric user posted image Royal Blue user posted image Falconiform user posted image Blue Banded user posted image Yellow Crowned user posted image Tarantula Hawk user posted image 

2 Tickets: Frostbite user posted image Khusa latest?cb=20170828200205 Water Walker user posted image Aria user posted image Glory Drake user posted image Terrae user posted image Magelight user posted image Carmine Wyvern user posted image Glaucus user posted image Spotted Greenwing user posted image Scimitar user posted image Pillow user posted image Green user posted image Script latest?cb=20170718093724 Fever user posted image 

1 Ticket: Nhiostrife user posted image Spinel Wyvern Spinel_Glassy_egg.gifSpinel_egg_green.png Striped River user posted image Sunrise/Set user posted image Fleshcrowne user posted image Diamond user posted image Undine user posted image Seawyrm Pygmy user posted image Sunsong user posted image Storm user posted image Monarch user posted image Howler user posted image Stone user posted image Daydream user posted image

Rules:

Dragons are counted at the end of the month

Only bred eggs/hatchlings/dragons count towards tickets

Only eggs/hatchlings/dragons that survive and remain their species at the end of the month count towards tickets

Only eggs/hatchlings/dragons that were bred during the contest month count towards the total

Dragons in the wilderNess do not count

To submit dragons,either their mother, father, or both must be added to a public group and the group link posted to the thread, one group per scroll

Current Contest Dates: August 1 - August 31

Prizes:

1st Place: The "Golden Ticket"! See rules at end of post for the winner.

2nd Place: CB user posted image  

2.5th Place:  A CB Copper / Zyu / Xeno of the user's choice of type and variant (ie you can specifically ask for a Chrono, or a Green Copper)

3rd Place: CB user posted image

4th Place: 3rd gen Shimmer offspring (GoN x bronze shimmer) from Ancient Bedlam with your choice of stairstep mate or checker mate.

5th and 6th Place: 2G holidaykin prizes -- Winners choice of breed from a CB Alt Sweetling

7th Place: 3rd gen offspring of https://dragcave.net/lineage/P4gNE

8th Place: 3rd gen Prize from one of my second gens, also -- mostly they breed stairsteps, but I have one that breeds a checker. Winner's choice. Mates are already set.

9th Place: 2 3g Prizes, chosen from among my 2gs (please give me a list of SIX prizes you like, and specify checker or stair, and I'll get two off that list!)

10th Place: 4 3g Spriter's Alt offspring, chosen from among my 2gs; you can pick specifics, but no holiday x holiday.

THANK YOU to Nataya, Terrafreaky, Jazeki, angelicdragonpuppy, purplehaze, and Dracaena for donating prizes to the raffle!

On 7/23/2018 at 5:51 PM, Natayah said:

This "Golden Ticket" is a Promise for a 2G Prize Baby from my CB Gold Tinsel Prize. The fine Print: It will more than likely be a Holiday Lady mate. You may be allowed to have some input on preference of Breed, however, if they don't breed quickly, I reserve the right to fall back on proven Mates. You may Keep, Trade, or Gift this Egg/Hatchling, but the tiny Terms of My Profile Transfer to whoever is the final owner.

Edited by Jack_Indivisible

Participating Players:

Terrafreaky: 12432
Ruby Eyes: 1230
HopeUnbroken: 635
Jazeki: 850
Mochi: 190
Natayah: 2709
soteeeria: 32
Alectrona: 3237
Rememberdrgns: 401
blockEdragon: 2739
DangerousCuddles: 0
Terces: 5000
Verse: 5741
Mayapooh: 250
shishiza: 187
angelicdragonpuppy: 4243
DragonArchaeologist: 386
purplehaze: 2788
jerzeeshadow: 49
banban007: 104
VixenDra: 0
Dracaena: 80
BlueLatios: 273
Nyxity: 1305
Astiana2011: 516

Bred Dragons:

Ochredrake: 27
Crimson Flare Pygmy: 30
Sunset Dragon: 31
Tarantula Hawk Drake: 33
Glory Drake (Night): 34
Glory Drake (Day): 39
Sunrise Dragon: 39
Hooktalon Dragon: 41
Howler Drake: 42
Stone Dragon: 42
Tatterdrake: 42
Nilia Pygmy: 43
Misfit Pygmy: 45
Spinel Wyvern: 46
Green Dragon: 50
Glaucus Drake: 51
Magelight Pygmy: 53
Seawyrm Pygmy: 53
Pillow Dragon: 66
Greater Spotted Drake: 71
Yellow-Crowned Dragon: 71
Whiptail Dragon: 72
Tetra Dragon: 73
Bleeding Moon Dragon: 77
Striped-river Dragon: 77
Fever Wyvern: 84
Blacktip Dragon: 89
Electric Dragon: 89
Water Dragon: 89
Water Walker Dragon: 90
Scimitar-wing Wyvern: 91
Daydream Dragon: 92
Blue-Banded Dragon: 93
Terrae Dragon: 95
Coastal Waverunner: 96
Frostbite Dragon: 96
Imperial Fleshcrowne Dragon: 96
Red-finned Tidal Dragon: 96
Turpentine Dragon: 98
Khusa Dragon: 101
Diamondwing Dragon: 106
Ember Dragon: 106
Gold-horned Tangar: 108
Speckle-Throated Dragon: 110
Pyrovar Dragon: 112
Aria Dragon: 115
Hellfire Wyvern: 117
Tri-Horn Wyvern: 117
Black Capped Teimarr Dragon: 118
Carmine Wyvern: 118
Guardian Dragon: 121
Melismor Dragon: 125
Nocturne Dragon: 126
Canopy Dragon: 127
Falconiform Wyvern: 127
Script Dragon: 127
Spitfire Dragon: 129
Sinii Krai Dragon: 133
Nhiostrife Wyvern: 137
Brimstone Dragon: 139
Brute Dragon: 142
Neotropical Dragon: 144
Lacula Dragon: 148
Freckled Dragon: 161
Bright-Breasted Wyvern: 163
Storm Dragon: 165
Royal Blue Dragon: 166
Razorcrest Dragon: 169
Leodon Dragon: 175
Antarean Dragon: 178
Swallowtail Dragon: 179
Sunstone Dragon: 180
Frilled Dragon: 182
Spotted Greenwing Dragon: 183
Sunsong Amphiptere: 190
Harvest Dragon: 191
Seragamma Wyvern: 191
Black Tea Dragon: 201
Horse Dragon: 211
Royal Crimson Dragon: 212
Waterhorse Dragon: 214
Olive Dragon: 241
Moonstone Dragon: 245
Skywing Dragon: 256
Deep Sea Dragon: 656
Undine Dragon: 1002

Total: 11206

Dragons by points:

Sunset Dragon: 31
Sunrise Dragon: 39
Howler Drake: 42
Stone Dragon: 42
Spinel Wyvern: 46
Seawyrm Pygmy: 53
Glory Drake (Night): 68
Striped-river Dragon: 77
Glory Drake (Day): 78
Ochredrake: 81
Crimson Flare Pygmy: 90
Daydream Dragon: 92
Imperial Fleshcrowne Dragon: 96
Tarantula Hawk Drake: 99
Green Dragon: 100
Glaucus Drake: 102
Diamondwing Dragon: 106
Magelight Pygmy: 106
Hooktalon Dragon: 123
Tatterdrake: 126
Nilia Pygmy: 129
Pillow Dragon: 132
Misfit Pygmy: 135
Nhiostrife Wyvern: 137
Storm Dragon: 165
Fever Wyvern: 168
Water Walker Dragon: 180
Scimitar-wing Wyvern: 182
Sunsong Amphiptere: 190
Terrae Dragon: 190
Frostbite Dragon: 192
Khusa Dragon: 202
Greater Spotted Drake: 213
Yellow-Crowned Dragon: 213
Whiptail Dragon: 216
Aria Dragon: 230
Bleeding Moon Dragon: 231
Carmine Wyvern: 236
Script Dragon: 254
Blacktip Dragon: 267
Electric Dragon: 267
Blue-Banded Dragon: 279
Tetra Dragon: 292
Ember Dragon: 318
Hellfire Wyvern: 351
Tri-Horn Wyvern: 351
Spotted Greenwing Dragon: 366
Falconiform Wyvern: 381
Red-finned Tidal Dragon: 384
Sinii Krai Dragon: 399
Gold-horned Tangar: 432
Turpentine Dragon: 490
Royal Blue Dragon: 498
Antarean Dragon: 534
Water Dragon: 534
Speckle-Throated Dragon: 550
Brute Dragon: 568
Coastal Waverunner: 576
Neotropical Dragon: 576
Black Capped Teimarr Dragon: 590
Nocturne Dragon: 630
Canopy Dragon: 635
Royal Crimson Dragon: 636
Brimstone Dragon: 695
Olive Dragon: 723
Lacula Dragon: 740
Seragamma Wyvern: 764
Spitfire Dragon: 774
Black Tea Dragon: 804
Melismor Dragon: 875
Swallowtail Dragon: 895
Guardian Dragon: 968
Undine Dragon: 1002
Pyrovar Dragon: 1008
Leodon Dragon: 1050
Bright-Breasted Wyvern: 1141
Harvest Dragon: 1146
Skywing Dragon: 1280
Waterhorse Dragon: 1284
Freckled Dragon: 1288
Razorcrest Dragon: 1352
Frilled Dragon: 1638
Horse Dragon: 1899
Sunstone Dragon: 1980
Moonstone Dragon: 2695
Deep Sea Dragon: 3280

I'm not sure this is the way to approach cave blockers.

You're basically asking people to breed more commons. Breeding commons is not going to help. Most AP eggs are messy and that's the problem. 

I'd rather take a CB egg than a XY lineaged random messy egg from the AP (aside from the freezing)

There are people who collect messy stuff, but most people value CB and nicely lineaged.

So, for an example, I'd rather count nicely lineaged blockers for this thread, or 2nd gen common blockers from rare parents.

So, let me see if I'm understanding this. The goal of this project would be to remove common caveblockers from the various biomes and breed them so that the number held by users is higher, therefore increasing the ratio of uncommons and rares that are able to be obtained from cavedrops and breeding?

Did I get that right?

Also, I think an introduction into the ratios (with whatever information is available on the subject) would be beneficial for those who don't know that much about it.

This seems like it'll be fun though, and I'd be happy to participate 😉

Edited by Ipomoea

Are you automatically entered into the Raffle just by breeding and Abandoning?

Ok, since this feedback is directly to you, rather than in general on my Player Thread, I'm going to share it here. My understanding on ratios is that there were two different things counted: 1. Cave Blockers (which really only impact CB eggs appearing in the Cave) and 2. Commonly Bred Eggs, which until more of that common egg are "bred and produced and exist" in the world, the harder it will be to get the other "less common/very common" dragon to have an egg of THEIR breed. So I am used to projects focusing on one or the other. It is very possible that since I was away maybe they were combined, but I believe they used to not impact each other, or if they did, not specifically.

I know there are already projects that collect "Very Common to Common" Breeds, which are often Cave Blockers too, regardless of where they came from (bred or CB), but they must stay on your scroll either as a frozen hatchling or adult. Then there are the Targeted Mass Breedings that focus on breeding the "very common to common" dragons to try and allow people working on dragon breeding projects, gifts, whatever, to get the more rare (compared to the super common) mate to have a chance of that breed vs the other appearing. Those are often called TMB (Targeted Mass Breeedigns) Done as Giveaway Raffles, or as Mass Breeding Events, that may have various themes, but also will sometimes include those, and specifically to get nice lines to the AP, lower the AP time so people can stock up and gift/release hatchlings, which is helpful to help people especially this time of year when we are a few months before the Holiday Rush to allow them to build their scroll up to the next level (from None to Bronze to Silver to Gold to Platinum) so they have more egg space for the Holidays. Also others will take eggs for Experiments, Zombie Fodder, Vampires, etc. It also lets people specifically add to their freezie collection and help others out.

While it is not normally done as a combo event because 'the ratios" are a bit more than just a straight thing, if you are going to hit it from both sides, then more power to you, and you can always adapt and evolve as you go. I just wanted to make sure you were clear on the goal you were trying to reach. We used to have more Common Collecting Groups, but most of them have faded away or are temporarily inactive, as well as the various TMB Giveaways are not frequent these days, so you have a lot of impact potential. And if I am incorrect, please correct me. It is fine for you to delete this ***UPDATE: DELETE THIS POST, OR I CAN DELETE IT SORRY POST NOT THREAD AGH*** I just wanted to give this info in case it is helpful.

We'll be watching and ready to help as you need and hopefully it works for you and if you get it down, we'll be happy to donate when you get all the kinks and wrinkles out and have set out what your primary objective is. Just remember, you don't have to be everything!! Or well, if you want to be everything, it can be confusing sometimes, but its your show and you have a good time, and if you get enough interest, I will be happy enough to help donate prizes along with many other people. Just make sure that your objective is meeting your method for attaining it. Or if you really want to do both, you could rotate it from week to week or month to month.

Good luck and Dragon Speed!

Edited by Natayah

I've heard that the biome and breeding have separate ratios, but I don't see it. It's hard to believe with the rarity of aeons, golds, and the heavily exploted breeds like blacks, stripes and dark greens, as well as the ubiquity of the really commons. We'll see if this actually budget the cave ratios. As a secondary effect, I'm also hoping this will incentive the collection of cb commons.

Sure, to breed them, you have to have some. But honestly, most of the time I'm trying to get something specific through breeding, so ratio-breeding is my go-to method :)

Here's a devil's advocate question for you.  Will the grown or frozen hatchling dragons count if they are in the wilderness and not on someone's scroll?  I've heard it said that wilderness dragons do not count for ratios.  Though I cannot say if that is something TJ said or dragon cave old wives tale.

Alrighty, thank you both for joining!

I also counted up everyone's tickets today, so let me know if you think that I counted them wrong or anything. So far Terces has the most!

Edit: lol nevermind jazeki is going hard

Okay. I'm in, too (although thinking about this instead of what I should have been thinking of caused me to abandon an egg I really needed to keep -- totally my fault, but still...)

I have just begun my breeding, but here is what I have so far: https://dragcave.net/group/61943

8LVItn.jpg

I don't really think that this is going to help take care of the cave blocking ''problem''

It's going to come to a point where the AP will be so clogged up with common eggs there will be no reason to hunt there anything there. The only reason why people are participating is because of the cb gold egg you've put up as a prize

Edited by Shinobimasterz

Hehe,  walls of commons have been happening long before this thread was posted.  And it's already breaking, there are other eggs coming in now on the bottom two rows.  The mass breeding does help on ratios.  We saw a difference when we were doing the mass breeds in Vhale's thread.  I haven't signed up as I haven't had time to do any breeding,  maybe later this week.  Maybe I should elaborate on what I mean as helping the ratios.  I mean it helps breeding the very common dragons and being able to get their partner's breed instead of twenty of the very common in a row.  Kinda why I gave up doing much lineage work, not being able to work with new commons for that reason.

15 minutes ago, Shinobimasterz said:

I don't really think that this is going to help take care of the cave blocking ''problem''

It's going to come to a point where the AP will be so clogged up with common eggs there will be no reason to hunt there anything there. The only reason why people are participating is because of the cb gold egg you've put up as a prize

I don't think this blocking-breeding-bonanza thing has been going on long enough to say that it will affect the AP negatively in any lasting way... AP walls happen constantly, with many different breeds (look at the Mint walls that crop up at least once a month!), and will happen regardless of whether this specific breeding thread exists. It's just actually noticeable right now because Flamingos are listed in the OP, but that doesn't necessarily mean there will be tons more walls on a consistent basis in the future.

43 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I don't think this blocking-breeding-bonanza thing has been going on long enough to say that it will affect the AP negatively in any lasting way... AP walls happen constantly, with many different breeds (look at the Mint walls that crop up at least once a month!), and will happen regardless of whether this specific breeding thread exists. It's just actually noticeable right now because Flamingos are listed in the OP, but that doesn't necessarily mean there will be tons more walls on a consistent basis in the future.

Well you just said it, they already happen. Why are we making a thread where they will happen even more. If the user that just bred his flamingos and clogged the wall, breeds them every week. We'll have a flamingo wall every week. Now imagine if a 100 users breeds every single ''blocker'' every week just for this project. That's insane. We'll never see anything in the AP anymore.

1 hour ago, Shinobimasterz said:

We'll never see anything in the AP anymore.

Don't panic. It's not like those who breed rares to the AP would stop doing so just because this thread exists. In fact, their efforts would be even more fruitful with all the commons bred for here.

12 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Don't panic. It's not like those who breed rares to the AP would stop doing so just because this thread exists. In fact, their efforts would be even more fruitful with all the commons bred for here.

Simple laws of supply and demand. Sooner rather than later, people will just start ignoring the commons in the AP and the AP itself

It's not about whether someone is breeding rares to the AP or not. I'm dropping my 2nd gen golds and silvers to the AP for the sake of making the AP interesting. I've dropped about 15 2nd gen golds and about double that of 2nd gen silvers in the past month as well as low gen prizes.

Math part

Let's say there's about a 1000 eggs in the AP. Most of them are commons, a huge majority to be exact.

Also, let's say 85% are commons, 13% are uncommon, and 2% are rare, making it 850 commons, 130 uncommons and 20 rares. 

And if suddenly everyone is dropping commons to the AP, let's say a hundred users join this event. and each of them drops 20 common eggs to the AP. that's 2000 eggs. 

3000 eggs

2850 commons, 130 uncommons and 20 rares. From those 2% we fall down to 0,0067% of rare eggs in the AP. Making it every 150th egg is a rare. 

Yes, the point of this thread is to raise the ratios. But most people don't drop rares to the AP, most people catch them and keep them or breed them and trade them. It won't make the AP have more rares. Maybe only slightly.

3 minutes ago, Shinobimasterz said:

Simple laws of supply and demand. Sooner rather than later, people will just start ignoring the commons in the AP and the AP itself

You would think people would have ignored it for years already, considering how it is *always* full of commons and ultracommons.

I don't really see how a contest will change this. We are treasure hunters. We will still search the AP for that occassional gem - pretty lineages, Spriter's Alt offspring, missing holiday mates, or just new breeding ideas.