Natayah

Others Skills Besides Art & Trade

Ok, it is bad for me to take sleeping pills and not go to sleep as soon as I take them. I will stay up writing LONG LONG LONG manifestos of greatness only to find gibberish the next day no one really understands, or half understands. Ok here is a summary:

Sometimes people make Spreadsheets to list things like: Dragons for Breeding Requests, Gifting, Trading, Wish List, Display Collection, etc. or some combo. Before Scroll Grouping, this was entirely done by spreadsheet or website or something. Many players did this. Many more players wanted to, especially those who gifted because it is easier to gift when someone can find your better dragons faster so they are more likely to ask you since it is easier to find stuff they like hence more likely to request... and would have been willing to Gift/Trade various Dragons and other legal DC stuff that is arranged via Private Message like .... we do with some of the Art and/or Graphics people do and similar to what is set up in the Art Thread, but it would be more "skills/talent/assistance" based.

I'm not sure there is any real place on the Forums for this type of thing, and maybe it would be better to create something off site, and if it ever has enough demand, allow people to link it here. It basically would be a version of TaskRabbit, but maybe more like TaskDragon - people to help organize things, people to help assist with things, people to help run things, especially people with prior experience or who have done things well. There are people who have made spreadsheets for other people. I know for a while I had a lot of friends and buddies who were like This would be awesome if we could find a list somewhere of people who would do this. But it strikes me that .... anyone who stayed on this list would probably be in hot demand, be well compensated, and then have the dragons they need to move up to move "up" in the world enough that they would no longer want to do the work as they either no longer have the time, or no longer can be paid with the dragons they would have before because they already have all they need.

So I just wanted to throw that out there if there was anyone who did stuff like this, would want things related like this, or something else. Basically you are hiring a Personal Assistant and/or Consultant to help you with something you don't know how to do, need help doing, do not want to do yourself (for whatever reason: time, not good with that skill, better skilled elsewhere, etc) - But I don't think you could create a "Yelp" or "Angie's List" of people as people who are willing to do this sort of thing... I can't imagine there being people who LOVE to do certain things all the time. But sometimes there is. Like writing a Dragon Description. Or helping to write one. Someone gives them the basic outline of some ideas, and they write it, submit it to the owner who fills it in and gets it approved. I know some people who love doing that. There are a few threads where people like that are around. Are there enough to Create a List of "Service for Dragon Fee Agreed Upon Privately Because It cannot Be Enforced Via In Game Trade Rules, Thus is more like an IOU" and enough people to "rate" you or not? I mean, we have those with Trade IOUs, I don't think we are going to get it very often though for "assistance."

I just wanted to throw out the idea to see if people had ever wanted a particular skill or assistance with one, what kinds more specifically might be in demand, and not that I expect it to become a thing on this Forum, but one never knows how the game is gonna develop and change in the future. Naming Dragons I think there is a Thread specifically for people to get that kind of help. But what other kinds of skills or assistance or talents might one use or seek out? I know "organizational stuff" is one or "repetitive mundane tasks" (ONLY LEGAL ONES - like cataloging all the various groups every dragon on my scroll falls into, or ongoing assistance with upkeep of a busy thread or project ongoing, etc.). And if so, is there anybody who has done this sort of thing and has had success with it?

Just throwing it out there for discussion, and if something more coherent and better formatted of an idea forms, maybe it is something someone will do something with. And maybe not. Or maybe someone will be inspired to advertise they do XYZ and ABC in their sig, and to send inquiries via PM. Because I promise all your oddball tiny little talents that you may not realize just how valuable those are to other people, and being willing to do stuff might help you to be able to more easily attain dragons that seem out of reach so BOTH of you reach your goals faster and everything is WIN WIN.

Edited by Natayah
MAKE CONCISE AND MORE CLEAR TOO VERBOSE

I have to admit I read the whole thing and I'm still confused, what exactly are you suggesting? Can you condense the idea down to a sentence or two? Maybe it's because I'm attention deficit but I have a really hard time understanding your long paragraphs, please bear with me 😅

A new forum section for organizational services? Though I may not be understanding correctly. I'm not sure how necessary that is, and I definitely wouldn't put it in the 'art'/original works section because I'm gonna lead toward yea, spreadsheets aren't art. (And I'm not trying to be harsh, but this is coming from someone with a bachelors in art, the debate of 'what is art' has been going on since forever, see Duchamp's work haha).

Edited by Kaini

I may have "not got it", but I think she means a forum where we can offer services like creating spreadsheets or running a raffle on behalf of others in return for eggs or hatchlings - at the moment (apparently) we can only offer "art".

Depends on how you want to define original works, I suppose?

Or would something like this fit elsewhere? 🤔 I would also ask if there'd be anyone interested in a service like that.

I would have issues calling a spreadsheet an "original work" - as for organising a raffle....

I think it would be nice to have an easy way to find people who'd be interesting in helping with a raffle or activity, or helping you organize a spreadsheet or whatever... I mean where would you post that right now? Not really appropriate in Help I don't think, not a suggestion, would probably get closed in Site Discussion if it was just an individual user posting a thread asking. I'd be nice to have an actual place where it's appropriate/expected to ask for that sort of thing. However, I don't know how much actual activity something like that would get.

I don't either. Yes the idea was sometimes people want help with mundane or organizational related or some sort of support related skill/ability. I can promise you there was probably a larger demand before grouping on scrolls existed. Although I still know many lazy bums like myself who would rather describe what I want done and have someone else do the more time consuming repetitive mundane tasks. Nothing illegal or not allowed. I should stop typing things before bed.

I guess as it is something that sounds like would be discussed and agreed upon via personal discussion like PM's, then making a list of people willing to do that stuff sounds like a better thing to list off site and someone can link to it here if there is ever enough demand.