Sextonator

Stay logged in with multiple devices

well, website owners cannot really account for all kinds of nasty things people do to each other all over the world ...

10 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I would NOT want simple inactivity to log me out; I am permalogged in on my PC and only get logged out when I switch to my tablet when travelling...

5 hours ago, Sextonator said:

I think the inactivity suggestion would be for cases where private computers aren’t really an option, and is opposite of the entire purpose of this thread. I mean, I wouldn’t argue against it as an option upon logging in on a public machine, as long as it didn’t affect other machines.

It was not actually a suggestion. It was me saying that if people were concerned about someone getting into their account because they did not log out, that the only way to solve that would be to auto log out after a certain amount of inactivity. Saying that they do not want to allow for multiple devices to stay logged in at the same time for safety reasons because they forget to log out does not make sense without ALSO adding auto log out due to inactivity. Literally the only way that logging out from one device if you log into another helps is if you forgot to log out on a public computer and very quickly got to your own device to log in and log out at the public computer, because otherwise anyone could still be on your account in the mean time. It do

es not even really help in the case of someone getting your password because even if you log in from another device, they could just log in from their device again and log you right out, quickly change the password, and you would be without your account. My point is that forgetting to log out on a public computer is dangerous no matter what, with or without logging out if you log in from another device. If the automatic set up is to log out from one device if you log in from another, there is no reason that I can think of that would make having the option to stay logged in across multiple devices is less safe to any significant level making it worthy of dealing with the quite significant inconvenience.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I'm thinking more of devices that are not in your home - even if they are yours. Like if I had my tablet in Starbucks and left it in the table with some so-called friends while I went to the washroom.... I well recall a story here a couple of years ago when some "friend" had released a load of things because he was cross about something. The scroll owner was asking TJ to retrieve them.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but how does having your account automatically log out if accessed from another device help in this scenario? There was no accessing of the account from another device. They left it up, and they would have had to give their "friend" their password to have release go through, anyway. You can't release without the password, unless you make the choice to have it only be the action name instead. 

Edited by Ribombee

I would like this as an opt-in option only, to keep scroll security. The period where we could log in from multiple places without warning was... not great for scroll safety, honestly, and I'm sure if it was opt-out instead a lot of people wouldn't realize and/or forget to log out everywhere.

For extra security, there could a page where it showed currently-logged-in devices where we could manually log them out, and for extra comprehension (because a random IP address or computer or a location isn't much help and could be a personal safety risk) each time you log in somewhere new it could bring up a "Name this log-in" field where you type in something so you know where your account has been.

Example:

Currently logged in at:

• Home  x
  • Grandma's house  x
  • Tablet  x
  • Library  x

It shouldn't hold any info other than the cookie keeping you logged in. Dunno if adding this much complexity would help but here's the idea anyway.

10 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

well, website owners cannot really account for all kinds of nasty things people do to each other all over the world ...

No of course not, but the way it is now is still safer, in my view. All I meant there was that saying it only needs to be logged out on a public computer doesn't  cover nasty friends.

9 hours ago, Ribombee said:

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but how does having your account automatically log out if accessed from another device help in this scenario? There was no accessing of the account from another device. They left it up, and they would have had to give their "friend" their password to have release go through, anyway. You can't release without the password, unless you make the choice to have it only be the action name instead. 

As I say - it doesn't as such. But the idea that mishaps only happen on public computers is dangerous and not true. But I'll bow out; as one for who this is actually not a problem until the day I am actually hacked, I guess it is none of my business !

Just like for a few ppl here, there was a short period of time for me when I could stay logged in on multiple devices, but I no longer can. I kinda liked it tbh, some way to not get kicked out every time one switches devices would be nice to have :lol: Maybe with a section in Account Settings tracking 'open sessions' and stuff with the ability to log out, if that's possible.

Support B)

I'd support @Shadowdrake's suggestion of showing currently logged in devices for the people who are worried to be able to see where they logged in or if someone else was logging in from a different location. 

Slightly unrelated, but at many public libraries in the US(and all the ones I used/worked at),all materials/browser sessions are wiped after each patron's use and the computers log out anyway after 5 minutes of inactivity or the allotted session ends. So even if you left yourself logged into DC, as long as you ended your computer session manually or had it time out, there's little chance for someone to get on and mess around with your scroll because of an automatic system reset. But if you are in a library where you have to get up and be away from the computer while still in session, I recommend asking a librarian if there is a way to lock your session until you come back or playing in an area where kids/teens/whoever aren't going to be tempted to get on the computer. In my experience, the adults never really were inclined to get on computers that were already logged in. They'd take one look at the computer, see an open browser, and rush to search for a new unclaimed one. It was only the kids and teens that often jumped on each other's computers and kids are very vocal when they think there's something wrong anyway. Again, I think it comes down to basic internet safety and common sense to close your browser, lock your screen, or log out before you step away. You can also ask a library tech or librarian to keep an eye on your area if you step away. I had lots of patrons come up and ask if their stuff would be safe if they went to the car or bathroom or wherever. I guarantee most library staff, although busy, are not going to just let people get onto other computers if they can help it. But again, if you leave your stuff open and unattended (including phones) whatever happens is on you in a public setting.

I agree.  This is basic internet safety when it comes to using a public or shared device and really doesn't fall onto DC to monitor.  If someone is going to mess with your stuff, I doubt DC would be their primary target.

That being said, I wouldn't mind a way to track logged in devices and mark them as a "trusted device" where you stay logged in on those, if that's even possible to do within DC's framework.  That way I could use both my PC and my phone to do things.

20 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

No of course not, but the way it is now is still safer, in my view. All I meant there was that saying it only needs to be logged out on a public computer doesn't  cover nasty friends.

As I say - it doesn't as such. But the idea that mishaps only happen on public computers is dangerous and not true. But I'll bow out; as one for who this is actually not a problem until the day I am actually hacked, I guess it is none of my business !

Oh! My apologies! I had misunderstood you. I thought you were saying the exact opposite! Either way, though, nasty friends isn't covered no matter what (not even with the current system!). No one should ever give their password even to trusted friends, because one never knows when a fallout with a friend may happen.

No but also no-one should assume that going to the washroom in their own home while logged in, unless they live alone, is perfectly safe. As someone here discovered. And not all friends - even mildly annoyed ones or ones just "having a laugh", realise how permanent messing with a scroll is.

Being logged out on every device whenever AFK is the only totally safe option.

*small bump*

I'd really really like to have this as an option. Not as default of course, but an option. I'm posting again now because I'm currently experiencing the frustration of constantly logging back in... I take screenshots of my most recent dragons every 6 months, just as a more complete record instead of just my spreadsheets, and for some reason I've found the screenshots turn out much better on Firefox then on the Chrome browser I switched to awhile ago. However, my Firefox is ridiculously slow and especially after using Chrome for months it's just horrible trying to hunt on Firefox. So today I've been going back and forth between Firefox to screenshot and Chrome to hunt, and logging in every single time is very annoying. I *know* it used to be possible to stay logged in multiple places, I would love for that to be an *option* again.

Yeah, I want it as an option, for those of us who know they’ll only need it for certain situations, or certain devices, and who know they’ll remember to log out, or don’t normally use public devices to visit the site.

On 7/11/2018 at 12:35 PM, Fuzzbucket said:

I have never known the game do that and I think it's dangerous; I would want to be able to set it NOT to. Consider Bad People when I forget to log out.... :blink: I think it's a great safety measure that it won't allow that. 

It would be nice for people who live alone and/or with people who respect other's property to be able to.  No one shares this computer with me, nor my phone.  I would like to be able to stay logged in on both.

How about, when you log in, options to be remembered on the device and an option to be logged out once the tab/window is closed? @TJ09 Is that something that’s possible?

I am fully on-board with this. Switching from my phone to my computer is very annoying when I just want to check trades and egg growth when doing other stuff.

I cannot be on my cell and my PC at the same time, either. Some can, but I can not. I would like this ability back. +1

On 7/14/2018 at 3:29 AM, Fuzzbucket said:

No but also no-one should assume that going to the washroom in their own home while logged in, unless they live alone, is perfectly safe. As someone here discovered. And not all friends - even mildly annoyed ones or ones just "having a laugh", realise how permanent messing with a scroll is.

Being logged out on every device whenever AFK is the only totally safe option.

Abstinence is the only totally safe option to not have kids...

If your friends are going to mess around with your accounts on stuff, are they really your friends?

What about a system like what Neopets had? You can log in as many places as you like, but as soon as you're logged out of one place you're logged out of everywhere.

Ie: Login on PC => active

Login on Tablet => active (also active on PC)

Logout on PC => inactive, and inactive/logged-out on tablet

No idea how it used to work here back when it was possible~~

I feel like that would defeat the purpose of what’s being suggested here. I’d much rather have the option to check to be logged out once a tab/window is closed. With friends, you just gotta remember to lock your screen.

Reading that, I'm suddenly happy to not have any friends :rolleyes:

I would like once more to point out this:

The forum has this useful page: https://forums.dragcave.net/settings/devices/

It lets you log out every device you are currently *not* sitting at, as well as disable automatic login by cookie for the device you are currently using to view that page.

Should be everything we need for DC itself, no?

9 hours ago, Azarkiel said:

Abstinence is the only totally safe option to not have kids...

If your friends are going to mess around with your accounts on stuff, are they really your friends?

In the ghastly case I mentioned, the friend in question was justifiably angry about something - but still a friend - and also - not being a player - had no idea what they did was irreversible.

41 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

In the ghastly case I mentioned, the friend in question was justifiably angry about something - but still a friend - and also - not being a player - had no idea what they did was irreversible.

"Justifiably angry" is not a justification for messing around with another person's stuff. Especially without knowing how it works.

Nor is a much regretted mistake a reason for dumping an old friend.

Not that that's really relevant ! It does highlight the common sense of logging off a lot, though.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I would really like this. Having some way to manage devices like you're able to do on the forum makes a lot of sense to me as a safety precaution.

This would be nice. I only play on personal devices and it is a hassle to login every time I switch between phone and laptop, which can be multiple times a day. I do think it should be opt-in though. The "logout of all" suggestion sounds like a good idea too.

So I just want to say, again, that for some of us multiple device login is already possible / happening. I use my laptop at home and my iPhone and both stay logged in at the same time.

So the issue isn’t the feature not existing, but figuring out why it’s not working for you guys.

11 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

So I just want to say, again, that for some of us multiple device login is already possible / happening. I use my laptop at home and my iPhone and both stay logged in at the same time.

So the issue isn’t the feature not existing, but figuring out why it’s not working for you guys.

It used to work for a lot of us, but then something changed and once we logged in from a third device (for example: laptop, phone, and tablet), it suddenly logged us out of all devices. I'd suggest not logging in from any new devices if you want to continue being logged in from both your phone and your computer. :)