DC Photography Contest #148

Choose your favorite!  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Tie Breaker Poll

• sh20000sh's Bedroom Window
    • Coheart's Keyboard

This poll is closed to new votes

Welcome to the Photography Contest!

Here you submit photos you've taken and users vote on which photo they like the best.

~Entries~

Lovecats99's Coleuses

Naraku's Saddleback Caterpillar

sh20000sh's Bedroom Window

Coheart's Keyboard

Little-Star's Home is where the cat is

Lagie's Home is where the fridge is

Water_angel's Crafting/gaming/binge watching with your best friend

Submission Deadline: July 18th (flexible if needed)

Theme: Home

Your home, someone else's home, your favorite part of your home, something that reminds you of home or makes you feel at home, etc. Get creative. :)

Rules

- One entry per person.

- Picture has to be made by yourself and can't be just a reproduction of someone's work. If someone else's work is in the picture, there needs to be something extra.

- No manipulation besides basic photo adjustments (contrast, exposure, cropping, color balance, lighting, etc.).

- No text or framing in the photo. A signature/watermark is just fine, but it's preferable if you don't have "O Hai Eye Hav3 T3XT" (or something similar) present in the photo.

- When voting, please don't select your own image. This will ensure fairness.

- You are free to submit an old photo; you don't need to take a new one just for this competition.

- Winner hosts the next contest.

Previous Themes:

1: Beginning anew / 2: Simplicity / 3: Summer / 4: Wildlife / 5: Black & White / 6: Food / 7: Macro / 8: Farewell / 9: Light and Shadow / 10: Urban

11: In the home / 12: Travel Photography / 13: Pets / 14: Red / 15: Coupled Animals / 16: Clouds / 17: Green / 18: Water / 19: Scenic views / 20: Invertebrates

21: Sunrise/Sunset / 22: Purple / 23: Out of Context / 24: Snow / 25: Flowers / 26: Mountains / 27: Old / 28: Birds / 29: Inanimate Objects / 30: New Life

31: Play / 32: Road / 33: Leaves / 34: People / 35. Books / 36. Statues / 37. Nighttime / 38. Candy / 39: Fruits / 40: Reflection

41: Transportation / 42: Trees / 43: Happiness / 44: Communication / 45: Youth / 46: Colors / 47: New Year / 48: Music / 49: Contrast / 50: Pink

51: Spring / 52: The first letter of your username / 53: Party! / 54. White / 55. Weather / 56: Buildings / 57: Union / 58: Doors, gates and windows / 59: Texture / 60: Pairs

61: Your Favourite / 62: Mushrooms / 63: Happy holidays / 64: Treasure / 65: Bells / 66: Warmth / 67: Blue / 68: Center / 69: Zoo / 70: Memories

71: Chitin / 72: Garden / 73: Silhouette / 74: Darkness / 75: W / 76: Small / 77: Silly / 78: Toys / 79: Three / 80: Autumn

81: Yellow / 82: Macro / 83. Horizon / 84. Winter/Christmas / 85: Skies / 86: Baked Goods / 87: Your Home town / 88: Abandoned places / 89: F / 90: Fears

91: Adventure / 92: Detail / 93: Illumination / 94: Colour Orange / 95: Black and white / 96: Abstract / 97: Unnoticed / 98: Fire / 99: History / 100: Bridges

101: Wild animal close ups / 102: Street Lights / 103: Hobby / 104: Three / 105: Eyes / 106: Unappreciated / 107: Desk / 108: Opposites / 109: Mechanical Parts / 110: Monuments

111: The bond / 112: Action / 113: Up / 114: Spooky / 115: Self / 116: Extreme Weather / 117: Patterns / 118: Down / 119: Ground / 120: Brown

121: Softness / 122: C / 123: Summer / 124: Flowers / 125: Gathering / 126. Living Room / 127. v1 Crystal/Gemstone / 127. v2 Nostalgia / 128: Mammals / 129: Sea and Lake / 130: Birthday Cake

131: Aquatic Creatures / 132: Sunshine and Summertime / 133: Close-up Photography / 134: Rainbows / 135: Circles / 136: Coffee / 137: Storm / 138: Halloween / 139. Something You See in Everyday Things / 140. Celebrate!
141. Signs of Affection/ 142. Most recent photo / 143. Easter / 144. Pastels / 145. Wings / 146. Hope / 147. Text / 148. Home

Edited by GhostMouse

Interesting topic! I went with this rather sombre image of some windowsill Coleuses.

QuV0P46.jpg

Big picture and contains a weird bug(?). It's a saddleback caterpillar. After the pupa stage, it turns into a very fluffy brown moth. I found the lil guy in my backyard a few years ago, haven't seen any since.

edit: How does this relate to home? Forest surrounds my house completely, so there are abundance of vegetation and critters/insects. The picture shows just that. imo anyway :P 

Spoiler

Pl8MPsD.jpg

Edited by Naraku

I am a musician and I play a lot of instruments. When I think of home I think about returning to my music. There's nothing like being away from home, returning and sitting down in front of my keyboard. Composing and playing. I hope this picture gets across the magic of home for me.

20180711_1520511.jpg

Home is where the fridge is...

37303153_10156816470434739_8939692947352

Home to me is curling up with your favorite blanket and crafting/gaming/binge watching with your best friend. 

Cjm9V73.jpg

Edited by water_angel

Entries closed, poll open! :) I'll leave it open until the 28th or so.

Great entries everyone, it's going to be a hard choice! 

I'm glad you guys liked the theme! It felt really appropriate to me, the 28th will be the 1-year anniversary of the day my husband and I moved out of our home state, and the day I posted this contest was the day after we had relatives leave from visiting for the first time. We showed them our new home, they went back to our old home state, it just seemed fitting.

Anyway, this isn't about me. Go vote! :D

I have also rendered a vote! Good luck everyone, all the pictures are great ❤️ 

Okay, we have a tie so I've put up a tie breaker poll. Please vote! 

I'll leave the new poll open until the morning of the 31st, unless anyone has any objections? I'm sure we'd all like to see a new contest opened soon! :)

I can't vote either. The poll says that there are 15 votes, but both entries are at 0%.

39 minutes ago, Naraku said:

I'm unable to vote again. Is this intended? :unsure: No objection from me btw.

Nope, now that you say that I see I can't vote again either. I made an entirely new poll, so I thought it would let everyone vote again. Thanks for pointing that out! 

Edit: I see what went wrong but I have no idea how to fix it. I'll contact a mod.

Edited by GhostMouse

Looks like somebody who didn't voted during main vote had been voted. Seems like we still cannot vote though. (Even if we can be able to vote, I think me and Coheart should not vote here though XD)

Edited by sh20000sh

28 minutes ago, water_angel said:

do you still have the final results of the other poll?

I didn't save them anywhere but I remember what they were. What did you want to know?

I haven't heard back from the mod I PM'd so I may just create a new thread for the tie breaker poll. Unless anyone has a better suggestion? I've never hosted before so I don't know if there's something else I should be doing to fix this!

Edit: Otherwise we could go with the result of the single vote, since that would have broken the tie if it had been tallied in the original poll. Let me know what sounds fair to you guys!

Edited by GhostMouse

43 minutes ago, GhostMouse said:

I didn't save them anywhere but I remember what they were. What did you want to know?

I haven't heard back from the mod I PM'd so I may just create a new thread for the tie breaker poll. Unless anyone has a better suggestion? I've never hosted before so I don't know if there's something else I should be doing to fix this!

Edit: Otherwise we could go with the result of the single vote, since that would have broken the tie if it had been tallied in the original poll. Let me know what sounds fair to you guys!

I am going to graciously bow out and hand the victory to sh20000sh. I voted for their picture myself anyway. I love the way it captures like light, safe nature of home with the dark, creepy undertones of what could be hiding just out of sight. Regardless of the poll results, I think they should have the victory.

But also a big thank you to everyone who voted for my picture. It means so much to me that I made it this far, this was my first contest. It's a huge confidence booster that you all liked my work and I will continue to participate in the future.

Edited by Coheart

That's very kind of you @Coheart. I look forward to seeing your entries in future contests!

And with that we have our winner! Congratulations, @sh20000sh!

And thanks to everyone who entered, I loved all of your photos and had the hardest time choosing who to vote for!

Before forum update, entry thread and poll thread were separate. And I saw one tiebreaker poll before and that round has three threads for single round.XD Poll was on same thread as we don't need to make it on separate thread. So I think there's no problem to make new thread for tiebreaker poll. But tie was broken anyway so I don't think we should take this any longer. Thank you for anyone who participated in this. :lol:

Edited by sh20000sh