TJ09

2018-07-01 - July Dragon Release

43 minutes ago, Aviatus said:

I think an issue with this kind of discussion is that it's nearly impossible to separate critique of a process (that being the creation and release of new dragons) with the critique of the results of the process (that being the truffles and pyrovars). It's a shame to me that these two dragons and spriters are getting caught in the middle of what ultimately is an argument about something different, but in the end if people were perfectly happy about the results of this process, they'd have little reason to complain about the process. While I personally like the sprites, particularly the truffles, I can understand why people are frustrated with the perceived double-standard. I just hope the spriters don't get too discouraged or upset by what seems to have become a very thorough, public, critiquing session and understand that the controversy is about more than these particular sprites. 

Yes, this.

Hopefully most of the complaining will move to the thread in Suggestions, since it seems to go much deeper than just critique of these dragons.

Personally, I love the new releases. I adore the Black Truffled, I think I just found my new favorite breed! The Pyrovars are really nice as well, I definitely need to work out some breeding projects for both releases.

Agreed, despite the fact that I agree with most of the criticism of the publishing process, it's a shame it's being held in this thread. Can we move it along?

21 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

even golds and silvers went through a common spike years ago, but they are still most definitely rare, occasional oddities aside.

Ahh how well I remember the 'Gold Rush'. Those were such good times! I remember being scroll locked with CB Golds multiple times. :)

On a general note: Loving the new release, congrats and thank you to the creators of both new dragons! 👏

Edited by Dubious

17 hours ago, Jack_Indivisible said:

Yeah, that's probably true. The only problem with that theory is that it implies that they don't regenerate oil quickly and the oil they do regenerate gets used for something. They're literally slick with oil. Greasy. Slippery. Glossy. Oily. Shiny. Lubricious. Oleaginous. Sleek. Gleaming. Lustrous. Glistening. Burnished. Glazed. Bright. Gooey. Anointed. Lubricated. Slimy. Unctuous. Soaked. Sheeny. You can't invite them to your apartment without losing your security deposit. You can see where they sit from the oil mark they leave behind. Their bed is a permanent wet spot. Etc. Have you ever been coated in oil? It's awful. It get's everywhere. You leave a trail wherever you go. Everything you touch gets a nice smear to it. You think you're clean, and then you feel the back of your knee and you realize you missed a spot. No matter how well you think you clean, you miss a spot on your back, or your side, or your legs, or somewhere. Now imagine that is your default state, just permanently oozing oil out of every pore. That's these dragons. The first time they sleep in a bed is the last time it'll be unstained. Imagine if you sweated and instead of evaporating it just sat there, on your skin, slowly accumulating until you rubbed it off on something. These are greasy boys.

Bit after the fact, but this comment reminded me of this Stephen Fry clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH7y_J51IRs :lol:

I quite like the new releases, the Musk being one of my all time favorite.

The Pyrovar dragons look so pretty with their bright colors and I love the Black Truffles! Still haven't caught a Truffle egg, though :(

6 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

@Mysfytt I’m curious, did you ask TJ to replace the original sprite with a brighter one after release, or did he accidentally use the wrong one? I’m very fond of the current version and curious how it came to be. :)

I missed the actual sprite 'switching' event so am unsure what went on but my guess is he somehow but the wrong one in, though I am not sure how.

I'd love to edit them - but there is no reliability on sprite fixes being updated by TJ - he might LIKE that style - he must since he released them. They are three years old by the way.

Edited by Mysfytt

The new sprites are cool. I really like the bright colors on the Pyrovars, and I think the Truffles could go great in a lineage with Witchlights and Alt Blacks.

I'm a bit late, but I'm really glad another bright dragon got released. I like the colour combination of the Pyrovars a lot (it's based on geyser colours, maybe?) and it's refreshing to have a dynamic pose. I also like the Truffle ones and the idea behind them.

11 minutes ago, owlion said:

I'm a bit late, but I'm really glad another bright dragon got released. I like the colour combination of the Pyrovars a lot (it's based on geyser colours, maybe?) and it's refreshing to have a dynamic pose. I also like the Truffle ones and the idea behind them.

I really like that we got one bright and one dark dragon this release... I love bright colors that pop, but I also think dark colors can be beautiful if done right. A lot of DC's darker dragons are Halloweens, so I'm always excited when we get a dark regular release. The Pyrovar's colors are very similar to the Yellow Crowneds, I'm guessing there will be multiple lineages made with those two.

5 hours until my first batch grows up! ...Or, *can* grow up, I seem to have bad luck lately with dragons actually growing up on time.

5 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I really like that we got one bright and one dark dragon this release... I love bright colors that pop, but I also think dark colors can be beautiful if done right. A lot of DC's darker dragons are Halloweens, so I'm always excited when we get a dark regular release. The Pyrovar's colors are very similar to the Yellow Crowneds, I'm guessing there will be multiple lineages made with those two.

5 hours until my first batch grows up! ...Or, *can* grow up, I seem to have bad luck lately with dragons actually growing up on time.

Yeah! It's nice it was done as a kind of balance. That's true about regular dark releases - I can't think of many off the top of my head. 

I love these guys!  Both sprites are beautiful and unique and I look forward to collecting them.  Pyrovar x Yellow-Crowned lineage is calling my name, and I'd love to see the Truffles in a line with Alt Blacks!

Please remember that while it is okay to not like a piece of artwork, it's pretty uncool to rip it apart.  Constructive criticism is fine but all-out bashing absolutely is not.  It is statistically impossible for everyone to like everything.

I'm pleased with the drop of these two Dragons...  I was able to get mine and also was able to get a Xenowyrm Thalassa as well, which was a surprise...

Again, thank you to all concerned...

@Mysfytt the original sprites had the rainbow gleam and eyes a bit duller then the current ones. I’d put them side by side but the forum keeps converting the in cave image to text Dx

Most artists always see things they want to improve after the fact. Especially in a long time like three years! But they’re really cute even if a bit older. Please don’t take offense to this, I know some people roll their eyes hearing this particular line, but they dimly remind me of Toothless with the colors and the heads especially, just like the Alt blacks do (can see why people think they’d make a good pair!)

Also with the Pyros, I do really like the colors and design, even if some of the posing seems off. Part of the curse of trying an ambitious not regularly seen position, I suppose. 

yuuuuugh I missed the release AGAIN! The pyrovals were easy to get but I haven’t even SEEN the truffles and they are so cute! I can’t wait to put them in a lineage with spirit wards!

EDIT: Wow okay so apparently the truffles are super rare according to their descriptions, ugh. Well, there’s some inspiration to hunt more!

Edited by broadway_fiend

Oo, I hadn't considered Black Truffles with Spirit Wards. I bet you're right and it will look great.

Edited by Fiona
Ack! Grammar fail! Mustn't have that.

5 minutes ago, broadway_fiend said:

EDIT: Wow okay so apparently the truffles are super rare according to their descriptions, ugh. Well, there’s some inspiration to hunt more!

AFAIK. The description may or may not have anything to do with the actual rarity of the dragon. YMMV and GLHF.

I missed the release, can some one tell me what does th eggs of the Black Truffle dragons say please? I already got my Pyrovars, thanks so much

Edited by Lady Aracne

The description is: This egg has a pleasant, musky smell.

10 hours ago, Ran said:

Hmm. One of the most critical things I learned as a writer and proofreader is that if your critique makes someone want to quit writing altogether (or spriting, in this case), then you, the editor, are doing your job entirely wrong.

This all the way. Nobody has the right--NOBODY--to critique to the point of somebody else self-sabotaging themselves into quitting. Those that think they have that right need to rethink their lives. Immediately.

Congrats to JOTB and Mysftt on the releases! Don't let the haters get you down!

As with the vast majority of releases, they're growing on me. Maybe if the truffles are rare-ish, they'll breed well with tinsels and we can have new lines to play with that actually breed well, shiny wise.  ;) I'm tired of uber commons bred to prizes