TJ09

2018-07-01 - July Dragon Release

I do wonder - we have a huge amount of completed dragons in DR that are fabulous. What goes into the decision to use those versus privately sprited ones by established in-cave artists?

On 7/2/2018 at 7:51 AM, SkyWolf25 said:

It's probably because of the 'completed requests must stay hidden for more than 60 days after they are accepted and hidden' rule. The blue ones were removed from the Completed List rather recently, so releasing them now would be breaking that rule. c :

@ everyone worried about the "Gusties", this is likely why they're not ready.

23 minutes ago, High Lord November said:

I do wonder - we have a huge amount of completed dragons in DR that are fabulous. What goes into the decision to use those versus privately sprited ones by established in-cave artists?

Established Artists don't have to fill out paperwork.

Or be searched for if they drop off the internet.

They already met what qualifications TJ has and signed the legal agreements. So, he can just release their stuff without too much issue.

Edited by Shokomon
Typos

5 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

We're not *supposed* to be able to breed them at a whim. That's game and story segregation, because the world of dragons would make no sense if we as humans somehow actually raised massive personal armies of immortal dragons that take years to mature. And anyway we steal their eggs from wild nests: the originals that were hunted aren't domesticated animals a person can just go up and ask for bodily secretions, and the ones we have are just a small number. We're sapient too and do you know how weird that is to ask another human for their sweat??

It makes perfect sense that the fastest and easiest way to get oil, especially by people who want money aka not likely to be moral in general, is killing. And dragons canonically take a long time to breed, hatch and mature, and only pop out a few eggs at a time max so therefore hard to farm, not to mention being *sapient* and therefore likely to get unhappy being a glorified oil well.

Like... you can tranquilize and carve off the horns of an elephant or rhino presumably, but do poachers do that? Nahhhh.

^^^This

Black Truffles probably need that oil to hunt or keep their skin healthy. But there's only so much they can spare at once before they're squeezed dry.

You can still argue "But just tame the Truffles!" but in-lore dragon tamers pretty much raise the dragons from birth, ensuring the dragons know them their whole lives. Money makers don't have time for that- they want the oil cheap and they want it now, as much as they can get. Yeah they could take hatchling/adults, but what reason would the dragons have to trust them? That they wouldn't be abused? Its much easier and safer to harvest from something dead than living and fighting.

Why would people only interested in selling/using Truffle oil care about the dragon itself? 

I do think the "pure of heart thing" thing is cliche and the sentiment would have been the same if the sentence had just said Truffles only gave their oil to those they deem trustworthy.

22 minutes ago, High Lord November said:

we have a huge amount of completed dragons in DR that are fabulous.

11 is a huge amount?

I do hope we get the Completed List dragons sooner rather than later. I know at least a couple have disappeared from the list since the Big Cleaning that sent pretty much everything back to DR. New in-cave artists? Yes, Please!

10 minutes ago, Fiona said:

11 is a huge amount?

I do hope we get the Completed List dragons sooner rather than later. I know at least a couple have disappeared from the list since the Big Cleaning that sent pretty much everything back to DR. New in-cave artists? Yes, Please!

I believe they could also be referring to the sprites that are done except they are in name/crit/lore hell. There are many sprites in CR right now that are as good as or more accurate anatomically/shading speaking but they're caught up in lore or name or whatever other minute thing. 

They can't be moved to CL and stop until their critiquers are satisfied. Many have had to start completely over from scratch. They can't begin their 60 days despite the fact that they are completely in-cave ready and on par.

EDIT: I didn't even get to my point jeez. Point being that Pyros seem less completed than more completed requests that can't even start their 60 days or move to the completed list yet.

Edited by Alrexwolf

3 hours ago, Erytheros said:

On the topic of "rare" being in the description, I'd like to point out some other dragons' descriptions.

Carina Dragon: "Carina Dragons, though a rare sight, are quite brilliant to behold."

Guardian of Nature: "Seen very rarely, it is thought that they only become active when something is threatening the territory they have chosen to guard."

Ridgewing Dragon:  "Occasionally different-colored individuals can be found, but they are rare because their striking coloring offers little protection."

Soulpeace Dragon: "Soulpeace Dragons aren’t easy to spot in the wild, but their rather rare appearances are said to be good omens."

While Guardians of Nature and tan Ridgewings actually are rare, Carinas and Soulpeace Dragons are only uncommon.

That said, I do think that the description for the Truffles is a bit misleading, at least until we know the breed's actual rarity. And there are evidently some people who are taking the "rarest breed" line at face value. Even so, it is only a dragon description and does not necessarily tell us everything. For example, we can call yellow-crested cockatoos quite rare--even critically endangered--but the fact remains that in captivity they are rather common. The same could be the case here.

Hybrids are not seen very often in the wild, when was the last time you caught a CB soulpeace?

They're rare in the same way Ligers are.

21 minutes ago, miscat said:

^^^This

Black Truffles probably need that oil to hunt or keep their skin healthy. But there's only so much they can spare at once before they're squeezed dry.

You can still argue "But just tame the Truffles!" but in-lore dragon tamers pretty much raise the dragons from birth, ensuring the dragons know them their whole lives. Money makers don't have time for that- they want the oil cheap and they want it now, as much as they can get. Yeah they could take hatchling/adults, but what reason would the dragons have to trust them? That they wouldn't be abused? Its much easier and safer to harvest from something dead than living and fighting.

Why would people only interested in selling/using Truffle oil care about the dragon itself? 

I do think the "pure of heart thing" thing is cliche and the sentiment would have been the same if the sentence had just said Truffles only gave their oil to those they deem trustworthy.

This makes sense *nod*

Now to lighten the air...BT dragon would say

GOO HUG!

6 minutes ago, Firebirdwyvern said:

This makes sense *nod*

Now to lighten the air...BT dragon would say

GOO HUG!

I would love to see someone draw this. XD 

*would absolutely goo hug a BT*

I keep reading Pyrovar as Pyroar from Pokémon o.o

I'm not a huge fan of either, but that just makes my life easier with scrollgoals P: 

1 hour ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

I feel bad that the thread is sort of sliding into negativism, but I feel the problem stems more from the long felt disconnect between creator and user than from the hard work of artists. Some things have been addressed, but others (lack of feedback on many suggestions, the weird discrepancies between DR standards and private standards) continue to go without answer.

I am grateful for the effort every artist puts into keeping this game afloat, but it is also really disheartening to see topics pecked to death when they’ve already more than matched the level of many in cave sprites. Again I raise the Freckles; they were still getting critique over the smallest things even when they were 99% done, and when I said I didn’t think further changes were needed I was basically privately asked to stop meddling. ;___;

This is why people have problems with sprites that seem fine to the artist but have issues to other observers. They've seen a lot of DR sprites that would get torn apart for even smaller details than the ones we've mentioned here, and yet these get by just fine? We need TJ to address this double standard, because it's not fair.

And yes, when breed descriptions are released at an average pace of two paragraphs per month, it's an issue that such glaring typos get past. It is sloppy, regardless of how you feel about the phrasing.

27 minutes ago, Dalek Raptor said:

I keep reading Pyrovar as Pyroar from Pokémon o.o

Thanks Dalek, I'll never unsee that now. XD

Just caught my first muskie from the Forest and am happily locked. I love its hatchling sprite!

@Dalek Raptor you’re not the only one XD

And while Pokemon’s on the brain, I imagine a Truffle hug is like a Goodra hug, haha. Great in theory until you’re trying to peel yourself off. Then it just gets awkward. :P

Maybe Black Truffles will be oily friends with Turpentines?

Don’t forget Albinos! :D

I’m pretty excited to try these guys with a few things when they start growing up. Just hope the sheen is noticeable in lineage view, even faintly.

Also need to try the Pyros with Spitfires and Yellowcrowns. 

39 minutes ago, Alrexwolf said:

They can't be moved to CL and stop until their critiquers are satisfied. Many have had to start completely over from scratch. They can't begin their 60 days despite the fact that they are completely in-cave ready and on par.

Maybe that means standards should be reviewed for when a dragon is completed and what's considered ready?

51 minutes ago, miscat said:

Yeah, that's probably true. The only problem with that theory is that it implies that they don't regenerate oil quickly and the oil they do regenerate gets used for something. They're literally slick with oil. Greasy. Slippery. Glossy. Oily. Shiny. Lubricious. Oleaginous. Sleek. Gleaming. Lustrous. Glistening. Burnished. Glazed. Bright. Gooey. Anointed. Lubricated. Slimy. Unctuous. Soaked. Sheeny. You can't invite them to your apartment without losing your security deposit. You can see where they sit from the oil mark they leave behind. Their bed is a permanent wet spot. Etc. Have you ever been coated in oil? It's awful. It get's everywhere. You leave a trail wherever you go. Everything you touch gets a nice smear to it. You think you're clean, and then you feel the back of your knee and you realize you missed a spot. No matter how well you think you clean, you miss a spot on your back, or your side, or your legs, or somewhere. Now imagine that is your default state, just permanently oozing oil out of every pore. That's these dragons. The first time they sleep in a bed is the last time it'll be unstained. Imagine if you sweated and instead of evaporating it just sat there, on your skin, slowly accumulating until you rubbed it off on something. These are greasy boys.

As to why people would care about the dragon, why would farmers, shepherds, cowboys, etc. care about their animals?

As to why I think that the dragon concept is poorly executed, just look at the name. Why are they called truffle dragons? I believe that the only reason they're called that is because the artist wanted to tack on some more status symbols. Every sentence of the description tries to push how rare, valuable, and exclusive these dragons are, and to top it all off, since I guess musk wasn't name-brand enough, they had to rope truffles into it. Why not caviar? Saffron? Wagyu? Matsuke? Swiftnest?

I actually like both of the new dragons and have plans for both in lineages. Thank you for those that made them.

1 minute ago, Jack_Indivisible said:

@angelicdragonpuppy Thank you, I was trying to drive home a musty's life was those pictures where someone faceplants and leaves a makeups smear of their face.

It’s kind of endearing. Happy sticky dragons to be friends with Turpentines in their greasy nastiness. :D

Ah, and for the name—truffles can be made into a really aromatic oil, which makes the connection click. I was also a bit confused at first as I only knew truffles as a rare munchie rather than being a smelly greasy munchie, haha.

7 minutes ago, Alexiel Dragoness said:

So do we have a new rare dragon? I mean, rare like a Gold?

We have no way of knowing that yet, these are way too new to know what their 'normal' rarity will be. It will probably take a few months before they even out and we are able to see how they breed and such (how they breed is a big indicator, really). 

3 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

It’s kind of endearing. Happy sticky dragons to be friends with Turpentines in their greasy nastiness. :D

Ah, and for the name—truffles can be made into a really aromatic oil, which makes the connection click. I was also a bit confused at first as I only knew truffles as a rare munchie rather than being a smelly greasy munchie, haha.

Oh man this was the first thing I thought of, lol. I watch too much food network.