TJ09

2018-07-01 - July Dragon Release

One of TJs babies has gendered, looking good!

I've snagged 5 of the blue eggs, now I just need to get more of the brown. I have 2 of them. Weird glitch there, but I'm glad I was around for it :D

Anyone else giggle at the 'cute baby dragon' part of the oily hatchling's description? Just me? I know it's the regular text for almost all hatchies, I just find it funny when they actually look more foreboding/dark/scary then 'cute'. 

Reserved Muuuusk In The Wiiiiind and All We Are Is Musk In The Wind for my two. 

Edit: I like the accents on the baby musky.

Edited by Jazeki

I just realized my gusty turned musty has a name in its code. Karl.

What a great release just now. Lots and lots of glassyeggs being dropped. Despite my click issue, I was able to grab three of the eggs.

So when they cool down finishes on my musky eggs (in about 4 hours) I am willing to trade someone for one of their glassy eggs.  PM me in about four hours.

To people wondering how a release could just "sneak in" and be "not ready" even though the eggs are dropping, here's some speculation / thoughts from a web-developer that might shed light on what is means with "not ready" and what might have happened:

On a purely technical level, a dragon on Dragon Cave consists of several parts. Even if all the sprites are there and require no further tweaks (which we might assume, if people really recognise the egg from the Completed List), there are other things that need to be coded in before a breed is actually finished, or fogballs and/or glitches can happen:

1) The dragon's body type, for zombie sprites (wyrm, western, eastern, wyvern, ...)

2) Breeding rules (i.e. does the breed create more of itself? Does it have an alt? If it comes in variants, which variant wins in which situation?)

3) Guardian of Nature breeding rules (i.e. Elemental Affiliation)

4) Striped breeding rules (i.e. dominant sprite colours, assuming they're not just averaged out of the sprite itself)

5) Potential BSA

6) Any other special sprite behaviour, e.g. time-of-day differences like with the Spirit Wards

And other things I may have forgotten.

Just because TJ added the eggs to the database (and e.g. forgot to set the "active" column to "false", causing them to drop in the cave) does not at all mean the dragon species was necessarily viable as a part of the site. And not all of the things I listed are necessarily quick to add in - looking at a BSA's potential complexity, for example.

One could argue that the things I listed could maybe be added afterwards (e.g. I know we've had elemental affiliated coded in later at least once before, if I'm not mistaken? I dimly recall GoN-bred fogballs), but I can't rule out that there aren't structural aspects to dragons on Dragon Cave that cannot be added afterwards (e.g. because they would need to be added before eggs hatch, but adding it before then would take time he doesn't have before the first user-caught eggs actually hatch).

Edited by pinkgothic

Well, it *is*  bit irritating to recatch eggs you dropped cause you wound up with too many of one cause changes.  *grumps*

Crimmeny, now I can't catch ones I need.  Very not happy ATM.

Edited by prpldrgnfr

I know some people are a bit grumpy about having to re-search for eggs, but you have pretty much the whole day, mistakes do happen ^^'

At least something more drastic didn't happen(like eggs getting deleted/losing dragons etc.)

To people who know what the glitch eggs were: please, don't spoil anything for the rest of us players, not even the name. You can PM each other if you want to talk about them but they're secrets for a reason.

There wasn't really a name with them. After all, the breed name doesn't get released until the draggies grow up.

So no windies for us! I don’t really mind, although I abandoned a glassy and now it turned into a musky. I’m still pretty positive I’ll get to catch more of those later! I also reserved ”Wind Gusts Around” and ”Gusted By Wind” as names for these ex-mistake guys ;) 

Man, I'm sad there's no Dino Dragons yet 😭 this would have been the perfect time to release something related to Jurassic World 

4 minutes ago, quail23 said:

I know some people are a bit grumpy about having to re-search for eggs, but you have pretty much the whole day, mistakes do happen ^^'

At least something more drastic didn't happen(like eggs getting deleted/losing dragons etc.)

Unless, of course, one worked all night and really should be going to bed, but doesn't dare cause by the time they get up, the old eggs will be thoroughly mixed in.

4 hours ago, Quetzals said:

Hey uh, late to the party, but the eggs remind me of the ~edited to remove spoilers~ eggs, which is a dragon that was in CL, but disappeared now from there!

Which eggs, the gusty ones? That definitely sounds like a name that would fit them. Beautiful name for a beautiful egg. :P

Edited by purpledragonclaw

10 minutes ago, prpldrgnfr said:

Well, it *is*  bit irritating to recatch eggs you dropped cause you wound up with too many of one cause changes.  *grumps*

Crimmeny, now I can't catch ones I need.  Very not happy ATM.

Well it’s still cool to have a glitched egg! Some of us are even going to do a breeding lineage of Gustitches using the glitched musties!

ah sorry to be like a Downer or anything but I'm wondering if someone could explain the anatomy of the gendered musty hatchling to me..?

The first two wing fingers look like they're missing their shading? I can't quite tell why they look like that; could someone explain?

1 minute ago, prpldrgnfr said:

Unless, of course, one worked all night and really should be going to bed, but doesn't dare cause by the time they get up, the old eggs will be thoroughly mixed in.

Well they are permanent releases, they may be harder to get once old eggs are completely mixed in but it's not like they're just going to disappear completely.

I'm loving the vibrant colors on the glassy hatchlings! So pretty.

@Shadowdrake It was just an egg image and a description. There isn't much to spoil. Nothing else is known. At most, when they get officially released, people would say "Oh! I remember when these dropped by mistake!" that's it

1 minute ago, HeatherMarie said:

Well they are permanent releases, they may be harder to get once old eggs are completely mixed in but it's not like they're just going to disappear completely.

I'm loving the vibrant colors on the glassy hatchlings! So pretty.

I know they are.  I really hate having to do something twice, especially when I thought I had it all taken care of.

There are some people saying they remember them from the completed list though @Yhme which is what Shadowdrake was referring to. People that remember them from there should keep that info to themselves. 

No, I know these dragons because they were a DR dragon, and others clearly know it too because they're going around announcing the actual breed name in public. For one, I don't know how much it would take for tj to decide to change the egg, name or description, or even decide to delay it further because there's supposed to be a buffer of time with it being completely hidden.

1 hour ago, TJ09 said:

Unfortunately, an extra breed that is definitely not yet ready to release appears to have snuck into this one. Because it's not ready yet and couldn't just be left as-is, I've converted all of the eggs to the new breed that is available from the same biome.

Sorry for any weirdness this is going to cause.

this is so sad press f to pay respects