TJ09

2018-07-01 - July Dragon Release

58 minutes ago, Jack_Indivisible said:

As to why I think that the dragon concept is poorly executed, just look at the name. Why are they called truffle dragons? I believe that the only reason they're called that is because the artist wanted to tack on some more status symbols. Every sentence of the description tries to push how rare, valuable, and exclusive these dragons are, and to top it all off, since I guess musk wasn't name-brand enough, they had to rope truffles into it. Why not caviar? Saffron? Wagyu? Matsuke? Swiftnest?

I believed (and still do) that they are named after delicious, fragrant, black truffle oil.  Yum!

Hey if I made a dragon, I would want it to be unique and interesting, too. :P

It's a dragon concept, it doesn't have to be super realistic. We're talking about pixel dragons, for fun!

The Black Truffles might be up there in my list of favorites, honestly.

Omg I really love that Truffle one. I like the glassy one (very cool) but I just keep going back to the truffle one.

1 hour ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

@Dalek Raptor you’re not the only one XD

And while Pokemon’s on the brain, I imagine a Truffle hug is like a Goodra hug, haha. Great in theory until you’re trying to peel yourself off. Then it just gets awkward. :P

I thought of that too. The goo hug I mentioned came from an episode of Steven Universe. 

1 hour ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

It’s kind of endearing. Happy sticky dragons to be friends with Turpentines in their greasy nastiness. :D

Ah, and for the name—truffles can be made into a really aromatic oil, which makes the connection click. I was also a bit confused at first as I only knew truffles as a rare munchie rather than being a smelly greasy munchie, haha.

OMG...what if they ended up getting stuck to each other? Awkwardness...

10 minutes ago, Firebirdwyvern said:

OMG...what if they ended up getting stuck to each other? Awkwardness...

Nooooooooo now I can't stop thinking about it! Omg that would be so uncomfortable, trying to unstick from each other. 😆

24 hours until we get our first adults (right? that's how long my hatchies have). So excited! I'm really interested to see how the Black Truffles breed, that will say a lot about their actual rarity.

Not really a fan of either...

but all this talk about Dragon requests made me think, and don't you think it would be amazing if TJ had a release where all the dragons were DRs? It would help encourage current dragon requests to get completed as well 

4 minutes ago, Dohaerys said:

Not really a fan of either...

but all this talk about Dragon requests made me think, and don't you think it would be amazing if TJ had a release where all the dragons were DRs? It would help encourage current dragon requests to get completed as well 

I've always wanted that. Maybe with the three that poofed from Cl, we might get that? We get private releases so much, I just always hope for the public releases to get some love. And they get so little. But there are some un-poofed breeds in the CL that are gorgeous and I hope they poof soon to.

Just now, Whirlaway said:

I've always wanted that. Maybe with the three that poofed from Cl, we might get that? We get private releases so much, I just always hope for the public releases to get some love. And they get so little. But there are some un-poofed breeds in the CL that are gorgeous and I hope they poof soon to.

Exactly :)

my 2 favourite DRs have poofed (gusties are one of them) so I have my hopes up high

Wasn't the 'mod mayhem' release back in the day like that? The current mods just each picked a dragon off the CL? I'd be down for THAT again, LOL!

... I just realized that was in 2010. I feel olddddd.

4 stickied posts on one topic, oh my. XD

Edited by cbussiere

3 minutes ago, cbussiere said:

4 stickied posts on one topic, oh my. XD

Yeah, that's one of the things I voiced concern over when the whole 'recommended posts' thing started. Feels very excessive and looks rather tacky, imo.

11 minutes ago, Kaini said:

Wasn't the 'mod mayhem' release back in the day like that? The current mods just each picked a dragon off the CL? I'd be down for THAT again, LOL!

... I just realized that was in 2010. I feel olddddd.

Is that why it was called Mod Mayhem? I feel like I never really knew why it was called that (although it's possible I did know when it happened and have just forgotten over the years....). That would be *awesome* to have something like that again.

With all this talk about the Tuffle's poor writing (myself included as one of the critics) I still wanna say that the sprite is very nice and I like the look. The pose is quite nice and distinct, it looks so fantasy-ish without going too overboard (the head, neck, and wings in particular make it look very nice and regal) and if they end up being actual rares they will easily be worth the somewhat wonky writing.

And while i'm still feeling nice I will say that I while don't really like the Pyrovar, it is still nice to see a few more aggressive breeds. And it was also really nice to see to see more unique poses, it's not the best sprite but it is an ambitious sprite with a very unique pose and an interesting design. If you'll accept a metaphor: while it did fly too close to the sun and crash I still admire the bravery of attempting to fly at all.

Both are far from perfect and I wouldn't mind seeing some improvements to the sprites/descriptions but I still love one and sorta like the other in a strange way.

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

Yeah, that's one of the things I voiced concern over when the whole 'recommended posts' thing started. Feels very excessive and looks rather tacky, imo.

I find it annoying. I just don’t like seeing four recommend posts clogging up so much space (of which only two merit any bit of ‘recommended’ to them) and it just looks bad. The viewbombing one isn’t needed now, and really only TJ’s explanation of the egg switch (even this isn’t needed anymore) and the reminder to not have the wind eggs visible should be up there. I just don’t like recommended  posts, personally.

Edited by Whirlaway

I'd honestly much prefer if someone just made a new post with all those points in it, and that was the only recommended post up there. (Actually, I wish mods could simply make small notes at the top of a thread, instead of depending on 'pinning' actual posts that way, it'd be a lot less clunky and wouldn't take up nearly as much space.) 

Looking at TJ's adults some more (in order to describe them to a few non-playing friends) and I'm liking the Black Truffle more and more. It looks silky-smooth, I know it's actually oily but it looks like something I'd totally want to pet.

Well, I at least took down the one about viewbombing, as you're right it's really not relevant anymore. I think we're good on that front.

I can't wait for my Black Truffle to grow up... I really do think they're lovely.

The problem with the Pyrovar is that its front legs are on backwards. Artists - if you're ever in doubt which way a dragon's joints should go, look at your own knees and elbows. Or your cat/dog if you have any.

How are they on backwards? Looking at my own elbows and wrists, as well as a couple of animals off google, it seems that both of them should bend in the same direction, towards the back. 

\   

_/  

Is that not the case?

Edit: Though it looks like the front leg closest to us looks awkward, and looks like it's missing it's wrist joint, or the paw connects directly to the upper arm and skips the forearm completely. The front leg away from us shows the wrist, forearm, and elbow.

Edited by Jack_Indivisible

44 minutes ago, Moondragon007 said:

The problem with the Pyrovar is that its front legs are on backwards. Artists - if you're ever in doubt which way a dragon's joints should go, look at your own knees and elbows. Or your cat/dog if you have any.

Yeah they aren’t.  It’s perspective.... anatomically it’s sound. 

Ol' Musky is soooo beautiful! I know your name is now Black Truffle but I will always remember you as Ol' Musky.

And Glassy... you're amazing too! Pyrovar is an interesting name as well.

Can't wait for mine to grow up now...

On 7/1/2018 at 9:47 PM, Motoko said:

Despite all my sick eggs being hidden, they still died... Including 2 of my 3 red dragon eggs and 2 new eggs...

So sorry! Here are some ideas abt new eggs that I've gotten tips on from those who are more experienced than I, but also some things I figured out for myself.

1. Hiding newly-caught eggs right away is good. Hiding newly-hatched hatchlings also a good thing to do.

2. Don't put a scroll link anywhere publically.  :(

3. Wait at least 24 hrs before using a hatchery, esp, during a new release.

3a. Because of the view--bombing, I wait until 4 days and then put eggs/hatchlings in an ER.

3b. I always use the white healers' BSA of "warding" just before I ER the eggs, as the protection from sickness only lasts 6 hrs.

4. Gender-influence with the pink eggs before putting in an ER.

5. Fog sick eggs/hatchies ASAP.

HTH! Good luck!

I just wanted to post what I find the shape of the Pyros to be like - I hope this is helpful to JOTB in seeing how some people are reading the Pyros. This is the general body shape, the leg facing us, and the head/neck area. Obviously I can't really replicate everything, but I hope this will show some of the issues I'm seeing?

npzh9Mb.png

Call me crazy but I swear that I'm seeing that the gendered black truffle hatchies sitting crooked slightly. 

Thank you TJ and spriters!  I appreciate the creativity and talent that goes into creating each of these new dragons :D

Thank you for the new Dragons, all spriters involved, and TJ...