Shinobimasterz

ANSWERED:Is an auto refresh addon allowed?

I've just had some people tell me auto refresh addons are not allowed. However I've been using them for quite a while. Even in 2009-2012 period when I was playing I spammed the **** out of auto refresh addons for firefox. 

So, I've just had a person become a bit hostile because I was using it, so

I need a definite answer, yay or nay?

Edited by Shinobimasterz

I was told ages ago that they are not OK for hunting. For hatching, that's a bit different, I imagine.

Wait, so are all ARs against the rules? Allure of NDs has an auto-refresher for hatching ER eggs; an auto-refresh extension basically does the same thing but loading the full page...

According to the ToC,

• Using browser addons, scripts, or other tools that modify pages on the Dragon Cave site in order to give users of said addons an advantage over other users.

Refreshing a tab a lot doesn't modify the page at all, it just does something you can normally do without making you click refresh over and over. And it basically gives the same advantage as putting your egg in a bunch of hatcheries at high-traffic times, so I don't think that's a huge worry.

Of course, I don't know if there are more clarifications stated somewhere else, I just looked at the Terms and Conditions :lol: 

From what I remember a long time ago, auto-refreshers to *catch* are a no-no because it does give an advantage over others. Auto-refreshers to *hatch* are perfectly fine because there is no advantage there, at least not over other users, just helping to hatch the dragon you already own. 

Exactly - and the same applies to hatcheries - they aren't giving you a game advantage; hunting using an autorefresher does. Though I have to say I know someone who uses one to hunt, and MAN they get a lot of misclicks as it reloads just as they click :lol:

Using browser addons, scripts, or other tools that modify pages on the Dragon Cave site in order to give users of said addons an advantage over other users.

On the site. Hatcheries aren't on the site. QED.

35 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

From what I remember a long time ago, auto-refreshers to *catch* are a no-no because it does give an advantage over others. Auto-refreshers to *hatch* are perfectly fine because there is no advantage there, at least not over other users, just helping to hatch the dragon you already own. 

I don't see a reason why it should be bannable. If you look at it, it doesn't modify any part of the dc page. Absolutely nothing changes on the page itself to give you an advantage over other users. It doesnt make rare eggs glow or sound an alarm or whatever. You can do it by yourself, by continuously clicking F5

Nor do I see how the site would detect such behavior. If you install a safety procedure that detects a users that refresh a lot, you will just end up banning users that actually press f5 pretty fast

6 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Exactly - and the same applies to hatcheries - they aren't giving you a game advantage; hunting using an autorefresher does. Though I have to say I know someone who uses one to hunt, and MAN they get a lot of misclicks as it reloads just as they click :lol:

On the site. Hatcheries aren't on the site. QED.

but then again, it doesn't modify your dragcave in any way
it modifies your browser to refresh for you. 
i've also seen a lot of topics that suggested using that type of addon. If you look up the phrase ''auto refresh'' in the forums, you can find them easily

Edited by Shinobimasterz

I don't think it really does much good to debate why it should or shouldn't be allowed, the answer is no, it isn't allowed (or at least, it didn't used to be allowed, but if TJ has changed his mind on that I don't recall him ever explicitly saying so). No, it doesn't 'modify' the page, but it *does* give an advantage by using an outside tech-thing on the site, and that was decided to be not allowed. This used to be a topic that was brought up a lot, and all us older players knew to warn people that getting caught using them could get them in trouble. Whether or not it's a *good* rule, that's just how it is.

What she said. I wouldn't use one till a mod has come in to answer. We often don't like rules in life; that doesn't make it OK to decide they are wrong.

I've also seen posts here suggesting logging into other people's scrolls to catch for them; also against the rules - because there are posts here about it doesn't make it OK.

Auto-refreshers for catching have been a hard no as long as I've been playing. It hasn't changed as far as I've heard. 

Logging into someone else's scroll to catch for them is also a heavy no.

Thanks for dropping by, PDC.

11 hours ago, purpledragonclaw said:

Auto-refreshers for catching have been a hard no as long as I've been playing. It hasn't changed as far as I've heard. 

Logging into someone else's scroll to catch for them is also a heavy no.

Well if the community has decided that it isn't allowed I will not use it. I have uninstalled it. Hopefully I do not get banned xD

It is against my common sense but I guess it is not up to me to decide

However it would be useful to edit out the info about auto refreshes from older topics where people made "guides" how to catch rares. They encourage the use of those addons

Frankly, it's not the community that decided. Before it was explicitly stated that auto-refreshers aren't allowed for hunting, tried using them, too. It didn't really work out for me anyway, so I stopped again (before I knew about the ban). Because, really, it results in more misclicks than anything else. :huh: 

Regarding people posting encouraging the use of auto-refreshers... It's sort of the user's responsibility to know what the rules are on DC and to realize 'hey, I shouldn't do what that person is saying because that's actually against the rules'. You can't really stop people from 'helping' by suggesting things that are against the rules, you just need to realize that not everything every user says is going to be right or allowed. If you see someone saying something that you aren't sure is allowed, ask. You can't really force others to stop giving bad advice, but you can choose whether or not you use that advice. (Also, in general any *older* topics should be read with caution, DC has changed over the years and what may have been useful or normal at one point may not be anymore.)

Edited by HeatherMarie

What about using auto refresher to time an egg?  That is not for catching, nor does it modify page

I guess you could say that that's exactly what Shinobimasterz did. When in doubt, ask.

@49ER: As far as I can tell, this should be acceptable, since it doesn't give you an advantage over other players while competing for eggs. But I'm in no way an authority over here.

Using them to hatch your own eggs is fine.  I used to do it a lot around Halloween to "viewbomb"  my hatchlings to death for zombie fodder.  It's no different than putting them in a dozen or more hatcherys.  Just don't do it to other people's scrolls. 

4 hours ago, 49ER said:

What about using auto refresher to time an egg?  That is not for catching, nor does it modify page

This is fine.