Multimango

Add seconds to the clock display

Hi,

I'm only using the mobile site right now and have no idea what the desktop site looks like.

But on mobile, when you click the menu symbol, it shows you the time.

Right now, a little moon, 1:29 am EDT.

It would be cool if the seconds were displayed so when I'm AP hunting, I would just have to click and see, hey, 1:29:55, let's go to the caves.

Maybe it wouldn't be a major thing for others, but it wouldn't be a major change either I guess. :)

Greetings!

welp, I meant to post to the Suggestions. So much for only using mobile. Someone will probably help me out here

Edited by Multimango2

I'm not really sure how useful that would be, since the clock does not actually show the exact time automatically... I don't know how to word that. What I mean is, it only updates the time when you refresh. If you don't refresh for awhile it still shows the old time, etc. So I don't know how helpful it would be to show seconds when the seconds aren't automatically updating... Personally I think it's enough to see that it's :29, time to start refreshing the biomes.

Yeah I know, but I still find it frustrating going to the cave and refreshing for half a minute or so. I get distracted and miss the egg drop, haha. So I would rather catch and toss one more AP egg in that time.

I don't think a real time clock would be much of a strain on the server, and it likely wouldn't be hard for TJ to code, either. 

I currently have to open up another website with a clock that does use seconds/updates automatically, and use that to know when to refresh the cave for Optimum Hunting (tm). That's not possible on a mobile format, though, and that's definitely an advantage a desktop user would have over a mobile user without an on-site auto clock.

I can't see the point of seconds on the actual page. I'm fine with reloading.

I do sort of understand how this might help. You don't know if you have 59 seconds (and therefore enough time to check the AP first) or one second which means if you click away you will miss the drop. Not a major problem for me, but I can see why some might find it frustrating.

Yea, on mobile I've actually kinda wished for the seconds to be shown for that reason, but on my PC I just use the computer's clock.

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

I do sort of understand how this might help. You don't know if you have 59 seconds (and therefore enough time to check the AP first) or one second which means if you click away you will miss the drop. Not a major problem for me, but I can see why some might find it frustrating.

I just thought of something else... When you (general 'you') talk about wanting a more accurate count with seconds, does that *actually* help when many of the drops don't actually occur right on the minute-change anyways? I have been hunting the biomes *constantly* lately so I can say for a fact that the DC clock will show :00 for a good 15-25 seconds before the biomes *actually* refresh for the hour drop (with me refreshing like crazy). I've seen similar behavior, though not as often, on the 5-minute drops. So, knowing that it's, say, 5 seconds away from the next minute, that actually doesn't really help if the biomes don't refresh exactly on that minute mark. 

Just as an example, I see that it's 1:59:50, so I rush over to the biomes and start refreshing... But the hour drop doesn't actually *happen* until 2:00:16, so knowing the exact seconds really did nothing to help and possibly hindered me from grabbing something on the AP because I *thought* the biomes would be refreshing in 10 seconds. Does that make sense? It makes sense in my mind but I don't know if I'm explaining it well.

The reason the hour drops are later is because an entire fresh new batch of eggs is being reloaded. I'm pretty sure most of the userbase is aware of this behavior already. And if they're not, they'll learn with the addition of a timer / asking on the help forum. I have never experienced a 5 minute drop not occurring on the 5 minute mark, however. 

38 minutes ago, Alrexwolf said:

The reason the hour drops are later is because an entire fresh new batch of eggs is being reloaded. I'm pretty sure most of the userbase is aware of this behavior already. And if they're not, they'll learn with the addition of a timer / asking on the help forum. I have never experienced a 5 minute drop not occurring on the 5 minute mark, however. 

Just did it on the :05... It's not a big deal, not as long as the :00, but it does take a second. Refresh, it's :04, refresh, it's :05 with the exact same eggs, refresh again new eggs. I'm not complaining or anything, I'm just saying I don't really see a huge benefit to a seconds-count when the shuffle/drops don't actually start on the exact second anyway. 

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

Just did it on the :05... It's not a big deal, not as long as the :00, but it does take a second. Refresh, it's :04, refresh, it's :05 with the exact same eggs, refresh again new eggs. I'm not complaining or anything, I'm just saying I don't really see a huge benefit to a seconds-count when the shuffle/drops don't actually start on the exact second anyway. 

But being off by a few seconds is still a lot closer than being up to a minute off. I know the hour drops are often off by more than a few seconds -- sometimes as much as a full minute, but that is only one drop each hour. The others are usually pretty close to the mark.

I support adding seconds to the clock.  On the 5 minute drop, once it hits 05 or 10, you are too late to get the cave refresh.  If it would not be so hard to code, I hope this can be added

On 6/29/2018 at 7:31 PM, purplehaze said:

Yes, this is what I meant :)

And I don't care if the seconds are live or static, once I know it's 1:29:23, I know I have enough time to refresh the AP some more. And clicking the menu button again takes like 2 milliseconds.

And most likely if someone is on DC at all they're doing something that takes a few seconds to go from page to page, whether hunting, breeding, trading or scroll maintenance so a second timer would be updated fairly often for a player even if it doesn't update in real-time.

Bumping this because someone made a thread about this topic again (though, it seems like it got deleted? Idk)

And also, adding link to an ever older version that is locked: Link

I still feel that if you are going to add seconds to the clock, it should be real-time, moving while on the page. As it is now, the clock would be static, and having static seconds would look weird and wouldn't be helpful.

This would be a great idea for any ND Experimenters. Having the exact second we pick up an egg is really good info.

6 hours ago, Shokomon said:

I still feel that if you are going to add seconds to the clock, it should be real-time, moving while on the page. As it is now, the clock would be static, and having static seconds would look weird and wouldn't be helpful.

But that's the problem, now isn't it? A real-time clock isn't going to be tracking server time, it'll be your browser ticking up--your browser isn't going to be pinging the site constantly to ask for the time. Even if it's initially "seeded" from the site time, once your browser takes over (and of course there's no guarantee how long it takes for the browser to "take over," which will immediately introduce a fair amount of inaccuracy), you're subject to the exact same local clock that causes people to want a site clock to begin with. Basically the same stuff I said four years ago still applies.

There's obviously more to it than that, but the point is you're going to be much better off by ensuring your local clock is accurate, which is pretty easy nowadays on most computers and phones. I know for a fact that Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS are all quite capable of syncing time with an internet server to avoid drifting too far. On all such devices, with that feature turned on, I've never seen them hit any sort of significant drift. You could drop the real-time aspect if you really wanted but it doesn't change the fact that if your computer isn't keeping accurate time, you have bigger problems.

Sorry for the confusion. I hid my OG topic because I found this topic and the older topic Shokomon linked with TJ's original response to it.

Didn't do my preliminary research well - my apologies~ 😅

I think that won't much needed. I'd use my PC clock which synced on Internet to preparing 5 minute drops.

I tink purpose of DC clock will show which time of day for people on other timezones. In that purpose, it don't have to that detailed.

Edited by sh20000sh

time.is is a very useful online clock that is synced with the dc clock and has seconds, so you can see the precise number of seconds left until the minute rolls over. Just in case you didn't know :D