Shinobimasterz

Is it just me or is the dragcave community a lot less lively

On 6/27/2018 at 12:41 PM, Fuzzbucket said:

Fair enough - I totally admit I've never been. But in that case what you are getting with the DC FB group is a group of people with the same kind of attitude, and probably the same partly negative feelings about this place - and as it is a much smaller group than this forum, inevitably less discord.

Recently a MASSIVE forum I had been a part of for years closed down. Any number of new ones sprang up to try to fill the void. Interestingly several were set up by, and/or appointed mods who, had criticised the old one heavily for things I didn't mind at all. And the forums set up / moderated by those people have a very different feel to the ones set up by the people who had valued the old one more. The one that has struck me most is one set up by someone who had always objected to the mods taking action against them when they had in my view - and the view of most people I know - been thoroughly out of line.. The atmosphere there is downright unpleasant. Not moddable as such - but not welcoming or somewhere I'd want to be.

Basically - any DC meeting place set up by people who don't like it here is going to reflect their view of how here should be if they only had their way, if you see what I mean. And it will attract others who feel the same. And if they don't like it here - they aren't going to stay. But I really don't see that as the same as a reduced level of activity, of liveliness. The ONLY thing that I see that coming from is the software. A lot of people I know here who like it here are posting less just because of the horrible editor and the messaging system. I think it is a reduced level of posting rather than of activity - reading is activity too, and I read as much here as I ever did.

I honestly don't see that at all in the group. I had not seen a single negative thing about the forums or DC in general in the FB group until shinobi asked WHY it seemed as though it was in decline. It was a very mixed response, just as it is in the forum. Some claimed they escaped negativity and drama. Some said they left because it felt it was slowing down. Some said they were avoiding the viewbombing. Some said they just preferred FB. Some said they hated the new forums. There was really no overriding single reason why people left the forum. Quite a few people in the group are still on the forum, in fact. It serves a very different purpose than the forum, so many find use in being on both. Obviously I am not trying to convince you to join. I just think the group was sorely misrepresented in a single post that was brought over without anyone expecting it to be brought over.

Edited by Ribombee

On 7/4/2018 at 4:34 AM, DuskOfTheStars said:

+1 to everyone who hates the upgrade... I mostly stay in the RP forums, the upgrade is awful for colouring character text and formatting RP posts.

Edit: I definitely see a decent amount of new people in the RP foum, personally. And I've never really had bad attitude vibes from rest of forum? FR forums are kind of eh at times though definitely have some nice people, don't get those odd vibes from here.

Just because I was the one who posted the help/suggest thread about it, the F.LUX program that makes the light much warmer makes a TON of difference on this site for me. I went from unable to look at it to be willing to spend multiple periods of times learning to do new basic things. I cannot speak highly enough of it, as with others. Also, when people go away from summer, sometimes they are here MORE but just as many are here LESS. I like the LESS on my work side of life, but that is neither here nor there. Everyone should be willing to dive into and crawl thru the forums, or ask someone to do it for you, or go check out some of the stuff going on and see what might interest you. Wanna cave hunt all day? Great do it! Ever thought about writing a dragon description? They get approved super fast these days! Want to post trading and NEVER have to post it on the forums? You can do all that now! Want to do a breeding run of some of your awesome dragons that you haven't touched in awhile and need some dusting off? Go for it! Want those eggs in the AP to have some lower times so we can all enjoy a set of hours or days of AP Incuhatch Funathon? That you may need to organize on the Forums, but it is still a ton of fun for everyone and helps out with a lot of different game impacts that are useful to players.

The forums are worth the effort. If you don't know where to start, why not send some PMs to some of your buddies or people who seem cool and ask them what they do? You can be chillin like the dog days of summer.... Sorry been away too long, my similes don't work quite right yet.

1 hour ago, Natayah said:

Just because I was the one who posted the help/suggest thread about it, the F.LUX program that makes the light much warmer makes a TON of difference on this site for me. I went from unable to look at it to be willing to spend multiple periods of times learning to do new basic things. I cannot speak highly enough of it, as with others. Also, when people go away from summer, sometimes they are here MORE but just as many are here LESS. I like the LESS on my work side of life, but that is neither here nor there. Everyone should be willing to dive into and crawl thru the forums, or ask someone to do it for you, or go check out some of the stuff going on and see what might interest you. Wanna cave hunt all day? Great do it! Ever thought about writing a dragon description? They get approved super fast these days! Want to post trading and NEVER have to post it on the forums? You can do all that now! Want to do a breeding run of some of your awesome dragons that you haven't touched in awhile and need some dusting off? Go for it! Want those eggs in the AP to have some lower times so we can all enjoy a set of hours or days of AP Incuhatch Funathon? That you may need to organize on the Forums, but it is still a ton of fun for everyone and helps out with a lot of different game impacts that are useful to players.

The forums are worth the effort. If you don't know where to start, why not send some PMs to some of your buddies or people who seem cool and ask them what they do? You can be chillin like the dog days of summer.... Sorry been away too long, my similes don't work quite right yet.

My issue with text colouring is that I can't highlight text I wrote ans recolour it as when I go in the menu and pick a colour that does zip - no, I have to remember to change the cursor colour before and then change it back too by going in the same menu. Really annoying, ESPECIALLY because my contrast issues mean I see typoes better with uncoloured text, and I typo so much it's not even funny any longer. I'd rant about losing the old preview featurevtoo, but I gotta go to bed....

1 hour ago, DuskOfTheStars said:

My issue with text colouring is that I can't highlight text I wrote ans recolour it as when I go in the menu and pick a colour that does zip - no, I have to remember to change the cursor colour before and then change it back too by going in the same menu. Really annoying, ESPECIALLY because my contrast issues mean I see typoes better with uncoloured text, and I typo so much it's not even funny any longer. I'd rant about losing the old preview featurevtoo, but I gotta go to bed....

I don't get this - I just did exactly what you say you can't - highlighted your post and then clicked the colour button... The big A, third from the right, with the drop down to choose colours...

7 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I don't get this - I just did exactly what you say you can't - highlighted your post and then clicked the colour button... The big A, third from the right, with the drop down to choose colours...

I do use tablet, so that could be it. Still very annouing, as I like to have my keyboard and screen visible without changing where I'm looking too much. But yeah - whenever I try, I can pick a colour hexcode but the text won't change colour.

Edited by DuskOfTheStars
Curse typoes

I'll try on my tablet later...