catzrule1990

A BSA to "reconsider" a refused mate

1 hour ago, Yubelchen said:

I am against giving the BAS to a Valentine, because what if the certain valentine dragon who has this doesnt come back? we ahve no 100% confirmation that re-releasing is a thing forever.

Pretty sure we had confirmation (maybe it was just heavily implied) that CB Holidays wouldn't come back, but then they did. :^ )

Nonetheless, you can use BSAs on bred dragons too...

Sapphires "are very loyal to their mates, and it is not unusual that they pair for life," and "the Sapphire Dragon is singing in the sprite pose", which I mention because...

*ducks*

Edited by schmupti
I misread earlier, my bad.

While my pity for people with multiple prize dragons are quite low, I also think a way to "reconsider" certain pairs would be great!

Refusals in huge lineage projects are certainly a bummer, especially with holiday dragons involved, mates for longer checkers are hard enough to obtain already and waiting a year for a small chance to get a replacement is annoying. I do not think that refusals should go away entirely - I think it adds a layer to the game, making our collected sprites have somewhat of a personality and not just be trophies, sitting on a shelf or obscenely high priced trading fodder. I'm not sure about the coding side of things, but I started DC when rares were not able to breed with each other (to not abuse the holiday mate for guaranteed metallics), back when there were multi clutches and you just needed to pick out the one gold egg. Pairs like Silver Present or Nisith were a rare glitch. The refusal mechanism per se might be a remnant of that - but I have no idea and I'm rambling.

Reconsidering should have a long cooldown and not be used more often than a handful of times a year. More would destroy the argument of it being needed for those few, special lineages. For me personally, valentine breeds would be the obvious choice (Mutamores are matchmakers), since you can only accumulate them rather slowly.

Another idea would be Daydreams. Maybe the Daydream could plant the "what if"-thought into the dragons head, make them dream of their rejected partner?

Electrics - they could reignite the "spark", so to speak.

Florets - were designed as a valentine breed in the first place, they are loyal and wise and replace anxiety and doubts with harmonious thoughts. Maybe they could as well do so with thoughts about another dragon?

I'd also love to have a drake, double headed or pygmy species get a BSA - they seem to get less love, overall.

Double-headed dragons may know how it feels to be indecisive, they constantly have to argument against their twin head and their own doubts, and maybe they are good at reasoning in favour of a refused mate?

I do not agree with a time window, like only on valentine's day - it is somewhat of a holiday and there are people who cannot make it in time or are not able to log in during that window for whatever reason, those are already "punished" by not being able to grab the release eggs. New users will have to wait a whole year if unlucky to even use that BSA.

It could either be like the kill option - you get 5 of those ever (or at least for a very long time until it resets) and I also love the wishing well area.

2 hours ago, SturmFee said:

Reconsidering should have a long cooldown and not be used more often than a handful of times a year. More would destroy the argument of it being needed for those few, special lineages. For me personally, valentine breeds would be the obvious choice (Mutamores are matchmakers), since you can only accumulate them rather slowly.

Another idea would be Daydreams. Maybe the Daydream could plant the "what if"-thought into the dragons head, make them dream of their rejected partner?

Electrics - they could reignite the "spark", so to speak.

Florets - were designed as a valentine breed in the first place, they are loyal and wise and replace anxiety and doubts with harmonious thoughts. Maybe they could as well do so with thoughts about another dragon?

I'd also love to have a drake, double headed or pygmy species get a BSA - they seem to get less love, overall.

Double-headed dragons may know how it feels to be indecisive, they constantly have to argument against their twin head and their own doubts, and maybe they are good at reasoning in favour of a refused mate?

Mutamores do seem to be the obvious choice if it goes the BSA route. Daydreams are out, since it's been stated many times by their creator that they can not control their 'daydream' power, they cannot deliberately mess with other's thoughts. Electrics don't really make sense, the 'spark' word-play is cute but not a good reason when it comes to lore, there is nothing in their description that gives any hint of matchmaking or even of being friendly with other breeds. Florets are an interesting option, it does seem that may be a possible way to go. While I'd love drake/pygmy/two-heads to get a BSA, I can't really think of any that would be suited for this one.

I'm against the idea of a cooldown but if we must have one maybe once per Mutamore per year?

Poor old Fleshcrownes... I still hope they would get this BSA. They are so undervalued and such nurturing and loving creatures.

I'm really not too fond of the Fleshcrownes as a breed, but a BSA could make me hoard some more.

Florets are uncommon and I already hate how hard aeons are to collect, so that would be a counter argument against giving them a BSA.

But then, a BSA is not really meant to make the breed more attractive, but fit a breeds character, imho.

And I think it DOES fit the Fleshcrownes, and that was one of the first suggestions for this in this or another thread....

A "Reconsider" would be nice.

Especially for Lineaged dragons. You spend months forming a lineage, only for the dragons you worked so hard to get to refuse. Or you were gifted a great lineage with a perfect partner, but they refuse.

It'd be nice to try again.

I also want fleshcrownes, or breed you can get any time of year, to have it. Mutamores do seem like a cute route to go, given their matchmaking reputation, but I wouldn't want this BSA to be on a valentine only dragon, and the fact mutamores only really have that type of matchmaking behavior during the their breeding season doesn't make a lot of sense for them to want to matchmake out of season, especially since they're solitary and cranky most of the time. I don't want this BSA to be a valentines day thing at all, but I guess that's just me. 

If fleshcrownes got it, it would bring attention to an often overlooked breed, and it would be more readily available for a new player who doesn't have any valentines. Or someone who couldn't catch any during spawn/breeding times. :) 

Edited by catzrule1990

On 7/5/2018 at 4:26 PM, HeatherMarie said:

Daydreams are out, since it's been stated many times by their creator that they can not control their 'daydream' power, they cannot deliberately mess with other's thoughts.

Well that spoils a description idea :P

Personaly, while I think the BSA would fit best lore-wise with the Floret, gameplay-wise I think the BSA should either go to the Fleshcrownes or to *all* V-day breeds. It should DEFINITELY NOT be given to just one V-day breed; that would make that one v-day super-rare. While I think it wouldn't necessarily be bad to go to the Floret (and honestly if this was implemented I'd just be happy about it whichever breed it was on) but if they're uncommon already, they'll likely go the way of the Blusang and become user-driven ultra-rares that cost an arm and a leg.

I had an idea that may or may not be suitable; I'm still on the fence about it myself. What if the BSA worked on all three holidays' dates? It does mean that people who can't get online at holidays miss out, but it would reduce the number of affected people compared to if it was locked to *just* v-day, while retaining that exclusivity.

I'd be in favour of a 5-per-year limit. Or maybe 10, but no higher.

Perhaps a limit of 10, and a limit of 5 per holiday?

The reason for using all holidays is that all holiday seasons (even the spoopy halloween) bring people and dragons together to share and celebrate something, so the dragons might be more willing to reconsider each other during a holiday.

People tend to hoard the respective holiday breeds during holidays and it would be annoying to free space up for that one reconsidered egg, while everyone else gets to load up on those past release CBs. It would be alright if the reconsider would be valid for the whole year after using it, though. Sometimes, relationships need time to grow, after all. :)

Holiday pairs don't refuse during holidays, anyways (to my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong).

The user-driven rarity is the same problem I see with the Florets. They will be just as hard to catch as aeons and pretty hard to come by for most new players who have nothing of worth to trade for them.

Fleshcrownes would relieve that, but they could as well be driven to be uncommon. Valentine dragons could potentially leave newer players without the BSA for a year if unlucky.

Fuzzbucket, I think you misunderstood me - I said I personally don't like the breed that much per se, but I am not at all opposed to them getting a BSA - I don't like their sprite too much and would not otherwise hoard them, but a BSA could change that (it did for me with Purples) - and I think the same goes for a bunch of other players. Description/Lore-wise, I think Florets would fit even better, but that's just me. :)

I like the limit idea, too.

2 hours ago, SturmFee said:

Fuzzbucket, I think you misunderstood me - I said I personally don't like the breed that much per se, but I am not at all opposed to them getting a BSA - I don't like their sprite too much and would not otherwise hoard them, but a BSA could change that (it did for me with Purples) - and I think the same goes for a bunch of other players. Description/Lore-wise, I think Florets would fit even better, but that's just me. :)

No  - I was reacting to this bit:

But then, a BSA is not really meant to make the breed more attractive, but fit a breeds character, imho.

And the fact that fleshcrownes DO fit was what I meant - they are neglected as a breed, I think - but that wasn't the reason I thought they should get a BSA. Not to make them more popular, just because it fits :)

My thought was that this BSA would not produce an egg when used, but would reset the breeding timer for both reconsidering dragons and would definitely be permanent if successful. I'd like it if failure could always be tried again with the same success chances, but I'm sure at least a decreasing chance system would be preferred, or something that allows refusal to be perma-permanent. My problem is: if we're trying to act against refusals, then leaving anything that stops the pairing permanently and for no other reason than dumb bad luck is counter-productive, because it will without doubt hit *someone* on a pair that's simply impossible to replace. And someone stated that they'd rather have refusal than breed and breed for weeks on end without an egg just because the pairing is 'bad', which I see as also being against a decreasing chances of reconciliation idea.

I support this idea! I just used Fertility on one of my two CB Mistletoes that I own. I bred her with my Guardian of Nature that I have bred her to on holidays. But I got the dreaded “the dragons refuse to go near each other.”

It was for a lineage project. 

My other Mistletoe is in a different lineage project.  

I would like like to see this BSA but I do not support having severe limits on it. Maybe once every 30 days; that seems like enough of a limit.

I support giving the BSA to a non-holiday dragon. Holiday dragons are rare enough without equipping them with BSA abilities.

This would be great. There's no fun to having two nigh-irreplaceable dragons you got specifically for each other only to be permanently unable to breed to each other. Unlike long strings of no interest, which at least pay off the frustration with happiness or relief upon a success, a refusal is just a one-time disappointment that will never be alleviated. Sure, dragons can logically hate each other but a "yo he's totally changed now, maybe reconsider?" isn't implausible either.

Would love this! Having such a big disappointment based on RNG with no way to 'fix' it always struck me as odd. It makes sense if you think about Dragon Cave from a casual aspect where you breed a little, oh a refusal, ok I'll try another dragon. But for huge lineage projects with rare or one of a kind dragons, it's a major let down. 

The 30 day cool down sounds good to me too. 

I would prefer using a refusal-reversal BSA over using Fertility every time I breed a new pair. It gets annoying and it's not fully protective anyway.

If it were put on a Valentine dragon, I think it should be on all Valentine dragons. That would avoid hypercompetition for one limited species, and users with an account under 1 year old probably won't be breeding much that would be impossible to replicate.

A mechanic to reverse refusals would be nice, but if it's a BSA I'd prefer it go to a breed that's available year-round.