DragonLady86

Show April Fool's Mints in Lineage view

I've seen at least a few people trying to do lineages with the upside down mints/looking for dragons bred from them and got to thinking how much nicer it would be to show the work put into that kind of lineage.  I know I was really disappointed the first time I bred mine to not be able to see that without clicking to view the mint.   While I don't make a lot of lineages myself I do like looking at them to see neat things like spriters alts or thuweds.  And anything that takes a lot of planning and work such as massive even gens with all thuwed starters I think should be something you can show off without having to relie on people checking the individual dragons. 

Not a big deal, I suppose, I just thought it would be cool.  Thoughts?

I think there's a reason for why they're not flipped. It was a joke that not everyone got an exclusive prize out of. If the resulting April Fools Mints had a permanent effect on lineages, they would be inherently "different" and "special" things that were unfairly distributed, kind of like the Alt Sweetlings. As it is, the upside down feature can still be seen with an extra click, but no one is fighting over offspring or debating who deserves what to make "special" lineages. I have an upside down Mint myself, so I do think it would look cool, but I don't see it happening without drama and hurt feelings. I could definitely be wrong, but those are just my two cents.

26 minutes ago, The Dragoness said:

It was a joke that not everyone got an exclusive prize out of. If the resulting April Fools Mints had a permanent effect on lineages, they would be inherently "different" and "special" things that were unfairly distributed, kind of like the Alt Sweetlings.

So, they would be like alt Sweetlings, only being available to roughly 1/4 of all active players on each and every April 1st. Or like Prizes. Only that there's so many more of them. Plus, they're just mints, of all things. (At least I assume that they'll be back in some capacity come 2019, since they've happened twice now.)

ALSO - they would look terrible in some people's already built lineages. I do actually have a pair of upsydownsies, and I don't even support this one - sorry !

I'm giving two thumbs down on this as well. I have two upsidedownsies as well and I think it would look awful

I am n ot sure where I stand on this. If done from the outset, it might be different. I can understand how changing it now could disrupt a lineage more than complement it. I'll remain on teh fence.

I don't like the idea much. They don't breed true and are rng-based so they're a little more like yearly GoNs (which I don't like much either). But I can see how it would be nice to have these mint-alts actually visible as the "special thing" they are.

When they first appeared last year, I was convinced they would turn back after a while, because no way TJ would make another basically unobtainable thing from which most players could only hope to maybe trade for 2nd gen offspring. When they remained upside-down, I figured it was probably okay because they appeared normal in lineage view and therefore they were not something people needed CBs to be able to make certain lineages.

So if someone had suggested to show them upside-down in lineage view last year, I would have been 100% opposed to it.

Now they were available again this year, and everybody had another chance to get one. This changes the situation a little bit. If we could be certain they will be available every year on April 1, I could maybe support this suggestion. We can't be certain though, and I'd rather just have them as a funny thing on their view pages than making things difficult with what would be a new "rare" sprite for lineage building.

Too bad lineage sprites are png and not gif - imagine they would look normal for 9 seconds and only flip for the 10th second, then returning back to normal for the next 9 seconds and so on :lol:

3 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Too bad lineage sprites are png and not gif - imagine they would look normal for 9 seconds and only flip for the 10th second, then returning back to normal for the next 9 seconds and so on :lol:

lol.

I mean, I'm not going to rage-quit the site or anything if it doesn't happen, I just thought it would be nice if they did.  Particularly since it looks like it may be a yearly release.  I really don't understand why they weren't flipped to begin with.  Everything else shows up in lineage view the same way it actually is.  If it doesn't change, I'll just continue to be mildly sad whenever I bother breeding mine. 

On 6/22/2018 at 2:28 AM, Confused Cat said:

Now they were available again this year, and everybody had another chance to get one. This changes the situation a little bit. If we could be certain they will be available every year on April 1, I could maybe support this suggestion. We can't be certain though, and I'd rather just have them as a funny thing on their view pages than making things difficult with what would be a new "rare" sprite for lineage building.

Agreed. This is what I was trying to say in my own post, but I think it's worded better here.

There's just one little problem with that. The way to get an upside-down mint is related to the prisoners' dilemma. You can only get one if you tattle/lie and the other player doesn't. However, eventually, pretty much everyone will know how it works and will do that - which means that there won't be many upside-down mints handed out. 

45 minutes ago, olympe said:

There's just one little problem with that. The way to get an upside-down mint is related to the prisoners' dilemma. You can only get one if you tattle/lie and the other player doesn't. However, eventually, pretty much everyone will know how it works and will do that - which means that there won't be many upside-down mints handed out. 

Also, it would mean having the prisoner's dilemma every single year for April Fools, and while it was fun I'd really rather have something new and exciting then the exact same game with the exact same outcomes every single year.

5 hours ago, olympe said:

Of course we don't know exactly how the game works, but chances are that there is no other player.

13 hours ago, Confused Cat said:

Of course we don't know exactly how the game works, but chances are that there is no other player.

Given that the result happens instantly it's almost certain that there's no other player. If it needed to wait for other players it'd be a lot slower to resolve. (and honestly, as long as it's not the only thing going on (which is how it worked this year) I see no reason to not have more Prisoner's Dilemma in future years.)

I don't see a reason to have flipped Mints in the lineage view, myself, and I say this as someone who has one.

14 hours ago, Confused Cat said:

It's a possibility, yes. Either that, or the choice of the last player playing is used for that of your partner. (But I guess coding a random result from the other side is easier to do. Better for us, too, because we'll have a guarantee of more flipped mints if the event gets repeated.)

It would have been better if the upside down mints could produce upside down offspring and I would prefer it if the chances of getting one is extremely slim as they are special dragons but that's just my opinion.

I really think we don't need too many more SPECIAL dragons. And by no means everyone got them, anyway.