Freima

Search Facility

I've looked through a few pages of suggestions/requests and couldn't see this mentioned. If it has been, and I've missed it, please accept my apologies.

A search facility would make life a lot easier for a lot of people. Perhaps a drop-down menu listing breeds, names, genders, codes etc so that one might go directly to a particular breed or dragon instead of the current necessity of scrolling through (potentially) hundreds or thousands of dragons before finding the right one.

I don't know how much effort this would be in terms of coding, so I don't know how difficult or otherwise it might be to implement; however it's something I would appreciate a great deal.

I'm not sure if I understand. Wouldn't a drop down menu listing all names/codes be the same as using the normal scroll, since it would still list every dragon? I feel like a search bar, similar to the one used for Fertility, would work better for this. 

Similar search features have been discussed several times. Here are a few topics that might be helpful:

I agree that a drop-down menu doesn't sound very helpful.... Maybe I'm misunderstanding what the OP is envisioning, but a drop-down menu that lists all 'breeds, names, genders, codes etc' would be *huge* and horribly long and I can't see how that would be helpful at all, you'd still have to scroll through thousands of codes/names to find the one you wanted. An actual *search bar*, on the other hand, would be awesome. I really really like the way Fertility and Groups does it, you type in something and it will narrow the list to include breed names, dragon names, and codes that contain what you typed. That would be very helpful for the whole scroll. A drop-down not so much.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was thinking of a drop down menu - or something similar - that allows searching on breed, name or code, with a box to type in what's being searched for.
Example: I choose 'breed' and then type in 'red', or I choose 'name' and type in the first part of the name I'm looking for. If I'm searching for something with a code starting with 'Z', I choose 'code' and type Z. I don't know if people use codes or not to be honest: I don't, but others might...
So the search process would be:
Search (drop down menu) 

List of things like breed, name etc
(Box for typing something in)
Result/s

I don't think I'm explaining this very well.

That's just like what we have for fertility.

Almost. Although fertility doesn't have options to select and mixes results by breed, code, or name all together.

Edited by purplehaze

I've confused myself now! A drop-down menu is a red herring. It was a suggestion only. I didn't mean it would have the dragons themselves, I meant it would have words to choose from, the effect being "search by breed", "search by name", "search by code" etc. I was trying to include whatever people might search for and I don't know how other people arrange their dragons.

I'm mostly posting on behalf of my two children, whose scrolls are bigger than mine. Both have said that they often want to be able to hop straight to a particular breed instead of having to scroll through each time. Since they do this more or less daily for all their hatchlings (at egg stage, hatching and gendering for each one). Yes, they could make notes about what they want each egg/hatchling to do, but one's tried it and couldn't maintain it and the other saw what her sister was trying to do and decided against it.

I just think it would be really useful if there were a search facility on the scroll. How it's implemented isn't something I know about.

It does sound a bit like the mechanic that is used for the fertility BSA, except that you would be centering your search a bit more, I think? Instead of just an entry box, you would have a drop-down (or some other form of menu) to select the criteria (breed, name, etc.) and then an entry box to type in whatever you are looking for. Like fertility it could then narrow down the list of possibilities as you make your entry. Is that what you mean? 

Probably, yes. I didn't play for a few years and don't know much about the fertility thing.
Basically, I want to type 'red' into a box at the top of the scroll, and be taken to my red dragons. That sort of thing.