gabriel

Filter dragons by group while choosing breeding mate

I wish there is a way to show only a particular group in the breed with section.  I have too many dragons for me to find right mate with current method.

So perhaps maybe like a filter when you're trying to breed a dragon? 

When the group is open, you can at least sort it by breed.

I believe the choice of mates page should have the 'menu' to filter by group... to ease the breeding (esp. the mates page) was, I believe, one of the main reasons people asked for some kind of grouping in the first place, right? (not that I need it but with my limited scroll I'm in minority, I think I'd still use it in holiday breeding seasons to reduce misbreeding chances, as I'm used to breed to th top-placed mate from the list, and latest holiday breeds haven't been bred yet and the correct mate is always placed somewhere down the list)

I don't urgently need this because I usually know the name of the intended mate before breeding so I can just find it with Ctrl-F.

It would be useful for finding new mates "just for fun" though (like when I'm breeding 2nd gen Holiday-kins for the AP, then I could initiate the breeding with a CB Holiday and filter the mates for my group "CB").

If it is implemented, I would like it if the filter could somehow be applied before loading the complete mate list. It would feel a bit silly clicking "breed", waiting half a minute for 4000 mates to load, and then applying a filter to only show the 40 dragons in the group I actually wanted to see.

I don't know how this could be done though since the group would have to be selected on the "actions" page before clicking the "breed" link.

Maybe there could be a dropdown on the actions page that simply defaults to "all groups" so it doesn't change anything for those who don't want to apply a group filter.

(... If that gets implemented, I'm going to beg TJ to add another dropdown - or checkbox or anything - to only show dragons the selected dragon has bred with before.)

Edit:

Because images say more than words.

suggestion_breedingfilter.png

The dropdown would show a list of groups just like our /dragons page.

And it would have to change the target of the "Breed" link, so this would only work with Javascript enabled, but we already need that for several other features anyway.

Of course I wouldn't mind having the filter option on the mates list, too (i.e. after loading all the possible mates), which I think is what OP and others suggested in this topic. :) 

I'm just adding this for those with large scrolls because I am one of them. (Version with extra checkbox that doesn't really belong in this thread.)

Edited by Confused Cat

I was about to start my own topic for this exact thing.

I thought the main purpose of groups for many users was to make it much easier to find the intended mate. I actually went to the help section because I thought I was missing something about how I was supposed to use it. I can't believe this wasn't implemented somehow.

I think it would be perfect if it worked the way Confused Cat suggested, but really ANY way to show only the dragons in a specific group would be the way to go.

Please, TJ, to be honest this almost makes groups useless for me.... why I wanted a SORT option instead of a filter option to begin with. I figured I could learn to use this, but what is the point if it makes it no easier to find mates? I just have to group things, and then also sort them. Double the time. One of the best things about DC is that it can be played with very little time....

I'd support something like what Confused Cat suggested. I use groups, but I have many, many dragons to sort through--especially when choosing dragons to breed together for the first time. 

.... I thought I posted my support for this before? Huh.

Yes Please!! I honestly don't understand why Groups was implemented without this, because I *know* a lot of people who were asking for some type of sort were specifically mentioning making it easier to breed. I have over 5k dragons, so that's a good 2,500 dragons to load when I open the breed page. Even if it loads relatively quickly, having to scroll through that many dragons to find something specific is horrible! I'm a player who doesn't really have many "monogamous" pairings, I like to breed with different dragons and experiment a lot, but it quickly gets very tedious with so many dragons on one screen. I'd *love* to be able to, for example, only show the dragons in my Cavebred group when going to breed.

if you have a group - you can go to that group and select "show all available for breeding..."

3 hours ago, fuzzbucket said:

if you have a group - you can go to that group and select "show all available for breeding..."

But fuzz, when you click breed, all available dragons show up on the breeding page, do they not? That's what we are talking about, not looking at them in the group. 

Unless I misunderstood you? 

On 8.08.2017 at 12:27 PM, Confused Cat said:

(... If that gets implemented, I'm going to beg TJ to add another dropdown - or checkbox or anything - to only show dragons the selected dragon has bred with before.)

[...]

(Version with extra checkbox that doesn't really belong in this thread.)

I NEED THIS SO BAD!

and I believe this checkbox could be implemented before as well as after the 'show mates only from group x', and I need this SO BAD.

make a suggestion thread plz?

I for monogamy indeed but I know about people who have an x number of fixed mates and don't want to go beyond that. Also what's the point of breeding X to multiple CB mates of breed Y instead of just 1 of breed Y (and possibly + 1 of any other breed/s) - breeding to random CB mates of Y breed only makes it more difficult to keep track when one wants to continue the lineage without inbreeding and limits the blood (because dragon X was bred to YA and YB and YC while e.g. YB and YC could breed a mate for XxYA or others e.g. for a checker) - so a blessing for quite a few breeding styles, not exclusively forto <3monogamous<3. ^^

1 hour ago, jumpsnake said:

But fuzz, when you click breed, all available dragons show up on the breeding page, do they not? That's what we are talking about, not looking at them in the group. 

Unless I misunderstood you? 

True. But using two pages you cloud limit things some. Find one; open a second page and find the other ?

8 minutes ago, fuzzbucket said:

True. But using two pages you cloud limit things some. Find one; open a second page and find the other ?

This is possible but unwieldy on mobile, which I use frequently. Plus it would then require use of Ctrl-F to find the one to breed with once I've identified both dragons, right? I don't even know how to do that on mobile. Right now I just don't breed often because it requires too much.... searching. I basically get turned off to it. I know nothing about coding so to me this seems like an easy thing to do-- and something that would make things a lot easier/ quicker/ just overall less annoying in a game that is just for fun. Multiple filters would be even better: certain breed> in a certain group> all CBs.

18 minutes ago, fuzzbucket said:

Possible, true. But not easy, or fast. Especially if you aren't sure of the intended mate... What I usually do is open, say, my "Cavebred" group, then open my "Shinies" group in another tab, scroll around in each to figure out what I want to breed and with what, click one of the intended dragons's breed action, then have to either scroll a long while or use Ctrl-F to search for the intended dragon, which doesn't really work reliably on my computer for some reason. It's still more steps and more annoying then simply filtering the actual breed-with page by a group.

Fair enough. I'm lucky in the way I keep my records :)

I'd love to hear how you do it, fuzz! I've tried a couple different things, but nothing really works the way I want it to. 

Spreadsheet.

Nothing to do with the cave :) Sorry....

I do that too for breeding projects.do you have EVERY dragon on a sheet? My biggest problem is when someone wants somethibg I don't normally breed. I want to breed for people (and do) but then it is hard to find that cb that I don't usually use. 

Yes, every dragon and its lineage details... In a form that I understand - but I guess others might not !

You can view only the dragons that are in your selected group and then filter them by the "available for breeding" option, but at the moment it's not working in the other way around. When you choose a dragon to breed and when you need to select the other one you get a full list of dragons which are available for breeding (not the same filter style like in the main view or in groups, 'cus it's put all breedable dragons in one, long page rather than more seperated pages, maybe this is why we not have this function already, but I hope that's not the reason and it's possible to implement this little upgrade) and you need to search out from this list the one you want.

I made a CB dragon group which only contains CB dragons, it's extremly helpful for making new, low level lineages or just breed some 2G eggs for trade and stuff like this. But 'cus the lack of the filter options while choosing breeding partner I need to search by code if I already find a mate for my dragon or scroll the full list search a breed which is seems great for the breed,, check if the dragon CB, and then if it is then change back to the breed list and hit the breed button. If it's not CB then check the other in a new page, and then go back again.

I'm not sayin it's so much pain to do, but makes the whole process slow and I think it could be implemented to make this a bit more (lazy) user friendly. Especially, 'cus we already have this double filter method, we only need to swap the filters, first make all breedable dragon listed, then make them filtered by a way like "If [Dragon] IN [Group] " or something like this. 

Like I mentioned it's not a serious need, it's just a little help to make things faster and easier a little bit. Already have an alternative method for this (find in the group the suitable mate, save the code, search the code in breeding list) and I will not complain if it's not implemented I just mentioned that it would be a helpful thing. 

Merged with the existing topic.

@cefren_ next time, make sure you use the search feature to check if there is already a thread with your idea. Often there is. :)

On 8/8/2017 at 12:27 PM, Confused Cat said:

If it is implemented, I would like it if the filter could somehow be applied before loading the complete mate list. It would feel a bit silly clicking "breed", waiting half a minute for 4000 mates to load, and then applying a filter to only show the 40 dragons in the group I actually wanted to see.

I still think a filter on the actions page would be useful, but meanwhile loading the list of mates has gotten a lot faster. (And I have even more dragons now!) So that reason for implementing it on the actions page (before clicking "breed") has become less important to me.

On the other hand, I often breed dragons without going through the actions page, using the "breed" link that appears next to each dragon with the "Available for breeding" filter. Therefore the group filter would most importantly have to be available on the list of mates (after clicking "breed").

tl;dr:

Last year Cat said she needs this filter before clicking "breed". Now Cat says she needs this filter after clicking "breed".

still tl;dr:

I can haz filter?

I would like the filter after clicking breed. I'd like to be able to filter by existing groups, but I'd also like to be able to type in a breed/code/name to search for a particular dragon, too. If it came down to one or the other, though, I'd prefer to be able to filter by group since it would cover me for a wider range of situations. 

While I'd love to actually filter the breed page by the groups we make, I think it'd also work well to simply have the exact same filter we have for Fertility... Type in a dragon name, or breed, or part of a name (so if you have 'CB' in the name you can use that...) the Fertility filter really ticks a lot of different boxes. I'd love to see the same thing added to the breed page.